Just got a new bag, so time for a new WITB!

I just retired my Sun Mountain 3.5 after about 7-8 years -- it was a good bag but years of use were starting to show -- and replaced it with a Jones Utility Stand Bag, and I really like the look of it with my Seamus headcovers, two of which are from Bandon Dunes and the putter cover is my wife's family tartan. I'm also feeling really happy with all of my gear as I go into the season. I expect to stay with the same driver for the second year in a row for the first time in recent memory. The Epic SZ has been the best combination of ball speed, low spin, and forgiveness I've ever played. The fact that the color scheme matches up with my grips and iron paintfill is coincidental, but nice. There's a chance that I might give a G400 Max a try, because I've seen a couple of buddies who have had really good results with it, at least initially.

I did some 3 wood testing over the winter and I think I'm pretty set on the one that's currently in my bag. I also have another (retail) M2 Tour with a Tour AD GP 7x and an Epic SZ with a Kuro Kage Silver 80TX that I've been messing with, but the 125 MSI Rogue Silver really seems to be the shaft that I get along with best, and there's probably something to be said for having a similar feel for the driver and 3 wood, especially because I use the 3 wood a lot from the tee.

There hasn't been a lot of other change in my bag over the last year or so. I previously used a combination of a 5 wood, 23* hybrid, 23* driving iron, and 3 iron in the slots between my 3 wood and 4 iron, but I've been very comfortable with the 18 degree driving iron and SB-1 3 iron. I originally only bought 4-PW when I got my irons, but thanks to Patrick Boyd (formerly of Scratch, now with the new NGW venture making those drool-worthy blades), I was able to get a 3 iron head at the beginning of last year, and that's been in there ever since.

I love my SB-1 irons -- this is beginning of my 4th season with them, and I'm playing them until they wear out. I opened the year in California in my first official handicap round of the year by making my first ace by flying one right into the hole with the 7 iron (on the first par 3 of the round). It took 31 years to get one, but I finally got one to go down! I got fitted into the Modus3 120X shafts by Ari at Scratch, and they fit my tempo really well. I put that same shaft in my driving iron, and it works really well in that, too.

I'm probably going to end up switching out my current 58* FIT wedge for the backup I have at some point this year. It's also entering its 4th season, and probably has about 250 rounds on it (I had a dalliance with a TVD-K grind Vokey, but came back to the FIT eventually). I use that wedge for most shots inside 95 yards, though I do use the 53* (which is the one marked 52, it's bent a degree weak) on chips where I have a lot of green to work with. Both wedges have S400 in them, because I got a little better consistency with that shaft than with the Modus wedge shafts (the fact that they were no upcharge was a bonus).

The putter is a recent acquisition -- I pulled the shaft and put in a black PVD one and installed a midsize "Roll Abides" grip that I got a while ago for a previous Byron. I had previously been using a Low Tide Flow, but once I got this Byron, I was reminded about how nice his putters feel, and I prefer the head shape of the DH89.

Specs:

Callaway Big Bertha Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX - 44.25"

Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX 42.5"

Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x 40.5"

Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x +1/2"

Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400 +1/2"

Byron Morgan DH89, 350g head weight, Carbon steel with Black Ox finish, black PVD shaft, Pure Midsize "The Roll Abides" grip, 34"

Other than the Driving iron and the 53* wedge which have Golf Pride Niion grips, all clubs have green Pure Pro grips.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That putter is gorgeous.

Yeah, believe it or not, I didn’t have it built. I stumbled across it on eBay, and it was almost exactly what I would have ordered if I were to get one from Byron himself. It was new, and apparently one that somebody ordered, but something about it wasn’t right. I love it so far.

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Beautiful setup! Way to open the season with an Ace... maybe a sign of the season to com :-)

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Beautiful setup! Way to open the season with an Ace... maybe a sign of the season to com :-)

I came a foot from jarring another one yesterday!

Great Toys!

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

Really wanting a utility bag, what are your initial thoughts? Do you carry? Push?

I’ve had it for about a day, so it’s hard to say too much, but I think it’ll be exactly what I want. It seems very similar in weight to the bag I had previously. The strap system is a little different than what I was familiar with, but once I figured it out, it’s very comfortable carrying both single & double strap. The straps are very well cushioned, so it seems like it would be great for carrying. It does ride higher on the back than other carry bags I’ve used, but it is quite comfortable. When I walk, which isn’t as often as I’d like, I use a push cart more often than not, but I do carry sometimes (mostly in tournaments, because I’m self conscious about looking like an old man).

It has comparable storage space to my old bag, and I think I like the layout of this one a little better. The two zippered pockets on the side seem more functional than what my old bag had. Another thing I noticed is that the material on the inside seems like it will make the bag quite water resistant.

The main drawback I can foresee is that the opening really is smaller than a lot of modern bags. I think it’ll be okay for me, since I only have 3 headcovers, including the putter, but if someone has a bunch of fairway woods and/or hybrids, I could see it getting really crowded.

From what I’ve seen, though, I think I’ll really like it.

Great bag. Jones and Seamus make quality gear. Lots of comments on the Modus 120 that people either love or hate them. What did you come from in your iron shafts and how have you found the Modus so far? I think that last bit is rhetorical given you're making aces for fun. Congrats!

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

Great set up all the way around. Especially like the bag and irons

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Great bag. Jones and Seamus make quality gear. Lots of comments on the Modus 120 that people either love or hate them. What did you come from in your iron shafts and how have you found the Modus so far? I think that last bit is rhetorical given you're making aces for fun. Congrats!

I played X100 previously. When I was fitted last time, those were in the finals, along with the Modus3 120 and C-Taper. For me, the thing I like about the Modus3 120 is that I can really feel the clubhead throughout the swing, probably because of the soft handle section. They also have a stiff tip, which helps me keep height & spin down. I tried The Modus3 130 previously, and those were a terrible fit for me.with those, I couldn’t feel the head at all. The big thing that sold me, though, was the consistency of the flight. As I was settling on them, I hit probably 5 balls in a row where you could basically throw a king sized blanket over them, and the trajectory was virtually identical on each one. I feel like my distance control with these irons is the best I’ve ever had. I miss sometimes, of course, but I’m more confident that I know how far it’s going to go if I execute the swing, and I think that leads to better swings a lot of the time.

May be time to change your username... doubt you have many 3 jacks with that beauty!

Any experience with the Jones on a pushcart? My Original is a little bit of a disaster.

LOL, if only a new putter fixed everything. I have been working on some changes to my putting, mainly trying to fix an inside takeaway, and trying to stop lifting through impact. On short putts, I’m trying to pick a spot a few inches in front of the ball and rolling it over that, but I’m still not totally comfortable with that. When I pick a spot from behind the ball, I have trouble keeping that spot in view when I get over the ball. And I sometimes lose lose focus on speed when I’m doing that. I’ve seen enough success with the method that I think there’s something to it, and I’m planning to stick with it.

I haven’t played a round with it yet, but I put it on my Clic Gear 3.5, and it sits on there nicely. The stand design is great for use with push carts and for riding—that was a beef I had with my Sun Mountain bag. The little foot mechanism that triggers the stand made it awkward to put it on a cart, because that got in the way, and I’d usually need to turn it sideways. The Utility stand mechanism involves part of the base of the bag pivoting, but unless you set it down in a way that you would to trigger the stand, it’ll sit straight up. The bag has a solid structure to it, too. I know the classic carry bag kind of collapses if you set it on the base.

How much did you pay for the DH89? Did you buy it here?

Beautiful bag man!

I don’t remember exactly, but a shade under what it would if I’d ordered from Byron

Whats up man! Bag looks great!

Thanks! Hopefully we can get out again in June! You guys find a house yet?

I played X100 previously. When I was fitted last time, those were in the finals, along with the Modus3 120 and C-Taper. For me, the thing I like about the Modus3 120 is that I can really feel the clubhead throughout the swing, probably because of the soft handle section. They also have a stiff tip, which helps me keep height & spin down. I tried The Modus3 130 previously, and those were a terrible fit for me.with those, I couldn't feel the head at all. The big thing that sold me, though, was the consistency of the flight. As I was settling on them, I hit probably 5 balls in a row where you could basically throw a king sized blanket over them, and the trajectory was virtually identical on each one. I feel like my distance control with these irons is the best I've ever had. I miss sometimes, of course, but I'm more confident that I know how far it's going to go if I execute the swing, and I think that leads to better swings a lot of the time.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I haven't hit the 120 but they have piqued my interest. Have played x100 and currently play S300. I may well get one for my 6 iron fo S&G.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

• 2 weeks later...

After a few rounds with the Jones Utility, here’s a quick early review:

-on a cart, it’s great. Fits any setup fine, and all the pockets are easily accessible. No issue getting clubs in and out, despite the opening that’s smaller than a lot of bags.

-I also walked 18 today, carrying in mist and rain of varying intensity for about 2/3 of the round. It’s a great carry bag. Straps are comfortable, and it rides nicely on the shoulder & back. The rain hood is nice in that it is actually pretty easy to put on without much of a struggle like I’ve seen with other bags. And everything inside the pockets and the hood stayed dry. With the hood is the first time the smaller opening became an issue. It was a little hard to get clubs back in the bag. I was carrying an extra 3 wood for some testing, which made things more crowded than usual, but it was a bit of a struggle.

That said, When I carry, I’m usually pretty exhausted after the round, but it really wasn’t as bad today. Overall, I really like the bag so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely love the look and feel of my Byron, but after a struggle in a recent tournament where I missed 3 putts inside of 3 feet, including one that couldn't have been much longer than a foot & a half, I decided I wanted to give some other things a try to see if I can improve my short putting without messing up distance control on longer putts. I've tried practically every style of putter around -- blades, mallets, arm lock, belly, counterbalanced, etc. -- and I've putted left hand low for the last few years. From where I was when I was using a standard grip, I have definitely made some improvements (from terrible to pretty bad), but I still struggle with confidence over short putts, especially in matches and tournaments where it "matters". I had used a counterbalanced putter for a while before, but it was a standard-length putter, so the weight in the grip was pretty close to my hands. I've seen some guys on tour, and recently a guy I played with in a tournament who have had success with longer counterbalanced putters, where the grip weight is more above your hands, so I figured that might be worth a shot. I saw a 38" Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 from Callaway Pre-Owned for what I thought was a pretty good price, so I decided to pull the trigger and see if it would possibly be the answer I'm looking for. I was leaving for a Northern Michigan golf outing last Wednesday, and it was delivered to my office that day. I rolled it a few times on the carpet, and threw it in the car, thinking I'd mess around with it when I got back. The greens on the courses up there were on the slow side compared to what I've been playing on in my neck of the woods, and for the first 3 rounds, I barely got anything to the hole using my Byron. The greens on the 3rd course were probably the slowest of the 4 courses we played, and a lot of guys were saying they couldn't hit it hard enough to get it there.

For the last day, I figured I may as well throw a heavier putter into the bag and maybe that would help me give myself a chance to get the ball to the hole and make some putts. It was raining a bit, and I'd been a little overserved the night before, so I didn't bother going to the practice green before the round -- I did hit maybe 3 putts to get a feel for speed on the first hole we played, but that was it. The greens were definitely the fastest we'd been on over the 3 days, but still a little slower than on courses near home. My first putt was a pretty ticklish downhill 12-footer for birdie, and I got that to drop in with perfect speed, and I proceeded to make just about everything I looked at. I didn't have anything close to a 3 putt, and I saved probably 4 or 5 pars with putts from 6-12 feet, and rolled in a 25 footer for a birdie. Despite a case of the pulls with my irons that resulted in hitting only about 6 or 7 greens, I shot even par, and I probably only had about 25 putts on the day, which is unheard of for me. I understand there's a chance this was just a honeymoon, but this thing made one hell of a first impression. It's definitely going into the bag for a longer look. It's not nearly as cool as the Byron, but I'd putt with a putter that says "I Love Nickelback" all over it if it made putts.

Had some subscription issues that were preventing me from uploading pics yesterday, but now those appear to be resolved:

Put a 2” extension in the Byron and a 15” winn counterbalance grip. I do it for all my putters now after years with a tank 1w. That got stolen and I couldn’t go back to “normal” length/balance putters because my pace and comfort level never showed up.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Put a 2" extension in the Byron and a 15" winn counterbalance grip. I do it for all my putters now after years with a tank 1w. That got stolen and I couldn't go back to "normal" length/balance putters because my pace and comfort level never showed up.

I was just thinking yesterday about doing something like that, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to achieve similar balance with the head weight of the Byron. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the Tank Cruiser head is heavier than the Byron, though I haven't gotten around to looking up specs. I already have some shaft extensions, so it would be easy for me to do that, but I'm hesitant to mess with this Byron too much in case I want to sell it, though I guess it would be easy enough to reverse the build if I don't like it. I'm really liking the Super Stroke grip that came on the Tank, so if I went that route, I'd probably look for something like that. Time to do a little research...

I did play again with the Tank this morning, and saw some more really promising results on some tougher greens than what I putted on this weekend, so the idea of just keeping the cheap Odyssey and making some money back on the Byron has crossed my mind.