Manual de la Torre Method

upanddown

Like this:

Yes but not to the same extent. Norman had a very wide stance, mine is relatively narrow. Norman exhibited a lot of lateral leg drive to get to the ball that far forward. The swing I was taught just orbits a stationary swing center. With my feet that wide my swing would never get to the ball.

BTW. Played one day with Norman and Manny at MCC. Never seen anyone hit the ball as straight and consistent as Norman. Just unbelievable.

Steve

Driver position.

How far forward in your stance can you play the driver given that you want to hit up on the ball? Aim a bit to the right and catch the ball just past low point as the club comes back inside your target line?

I'm just returning to Mdlt after a two year stint beginning in 2010. This time around, thanks to this thread, my understanding is much clearer. I'll be going all in....

Probably Manny's most controversial teaching is that every full swing, no matter the club, should begin with the club head in the center of the stance. Probably a majority of good teachers disagree, and I have in the past as well.

First, why this teaching? In Manny's opinion what thew golfers he taught needed most to play better and enjoy the game more was consistency. He wanted his players to be able to make consistent contact with the ball and send it consistently toward the target. Much of his teaching is directed at that very thing, consistency. In his view having the club in the center of the stance at the beginning of the swing led to a consistent back swing path, forward swing path, and low spot in the swing. He fully understood that the method wasn't optimal for producing maximum distance with the driver, but felt the opportunity to be more consistent outweighed the minor loss in distance.

When I was much younger I asked Manny about moving the driver up in my stance. I didn't know then what I know now about how backspin limits distance, but I did know most other golfers were playing the ball much further forward with the driver than I was. Manny somewhat reluctantly endorsed my forward ball position experiment with two notes of caution. 1) It should remain my intention to swing the club on an arc around a fixed swing center even though I was starting the swing with the club head and ball further forward. He felt like my athleticism and arm speed would move the arc sufficiently forward to assure good contact. 2) He cautioned me quite sternly about the effect moving the club head forward at address would have on my shoulder alignment. Moving the club head forward opens the shoulders which, without compensations, produces an outside take away and a forward swing too much to the left. Because of this he had me readjust my shoulder before I began to swing by taking the right shoulder back from the line until the plane of my shoulders seemed parallel to the plane of the target line. This I founds hard to do day in and day out on a consistent basis.

As a result of this experiment I concluded that with the ball forward I was hitting the ball a little further but that my direction suffered. I returned to a set up with the club head in the center of my stance and the ball 2 or 3 inches to the left of the club head. From that position I was able to strike the ball squarely in the back with a level angle of attack.

Sorry for the long answer but it wasn't a simple question.

Steve

Thank you Steve, appreciate the detailed response.

I experimented some on the range last Sunday. I found that for me a good driver position was just inside left heel, probably 5 or 6 inches forward of center. Like you I addressed the ball with the club in the center of my stance and that kept my shoulders parallel to target line. My stance is not too wide, within shoulder width. I hit about 75% of the drives where I was aiming, nice high ball flight. Most of the misses (left) were because I didn't tame the shoulders. I put a SkyPro device on the shaft and this showed I was hitting up on the ball between plus 1 and plus 2 degrees. With the ball any further back in my stance I was hitting down on it some.

I think modern (driver and ball) equipment does dictate a more foreword ball position versus the equipment I played starting out in the early '70s. I'll do some more range time with my renewed focus on mdlt, but the ball flight I saw was so much better than my previous body driven swing. I'm excited about golf again.

Thank you for your contributions to this topic.

Driver position.

How far forward in your stance can you play the driver given that you want to hit up on the ball? Aim a bit to the right and catch the ball just past low point as the club comes back inside your target line?

I'm just returning to Mdlt after a two year stint beginning in 2010. This time around, thanks to this thread, my understanding is much clearer. I'll be going all in....

Probably Manny's most controversial teaching is that every full swing, no matter the club, should begin with the club head in the center of the stance. Probably a majority of good teachers disagree, and I have in the past as well.

First, why this teaching? In Manny's opinion what thew golfers he taught needed most to play better and enjoy the game more was consistency. He wanted his players to be able to make consistent contact with the ball and send it consistently toward the target. Much of his teaching is directed at that very thing, consistency. In his view having the club in the center of the stance at the beginning of the swing led to a consistent back swing path, forward swing path, and low spot in the swing. He fully understood that the method wasn't optimal for producing maximum distance with the driver, but felt the opportunity to be more consistent outweighed the minor loss in distance.

When I was much younger I asked Manny about moving the driver up in my stance. I didn't know then what I know now about how backspin limits distance, but I did know most other golfers were playing the ball much further forward with the driver than I was. Manny somewhat reluctantly endorsed my forward ball position experiment with two notes of caution. 1) It should remain my intention to swing the club on an arc around a fixed swing center even though I was starting the swing with the club head and ball further forward. He felt like my athleticism and arm speed would move the arc sufficiently forward to assure good contact. 2) He cautioned me quite sternly about the effect moving the club head forward at address would have on my shoulder alignment. Moving the club head forward opens the shoulders which, without compensations, produces an outside take away and a forward swing too much to the left. Because of this he had me readjust my shoulder before I began to swing by taking the right shoulder back from the line until the plane of my shoulders seemed parallel to the plane of the target line. This I founds hard to do day in and day out on a consistent basis.

As a result of this experiment I concluded that with the ball forward I was hitting the ball a little further but that my direction suffered. I returned to a set up with the club head in the center of my stance and the ball 2 or 3 inches to the left of the club head. From that position I was able to strike the ball squarely in the back with a level angle of attack.

Steve

I experimented some on the range last Sunday. I found that for me a good driver position was just inside left heel, probably 5 or 6 inches forward of center. Like you I addressed the ball with the club in the center of my stance and that kept my shoulders parallel to target line. My stance is not too wide, within shoulder width. I hit about 75% of the drives where I was aiming, nice high ball flight. Most of the misses (left) were because I didn't tame the shoulders. I put a SkyPro device on the shaft and this showed I was hitting up on the ball between plus 1 and plus 2 degrees. With the ball any further back in my stance I was hitting down on it some.

I think modern (driver and ball) equipment does dictate a more foreword ball position versus the equipment I played starting out in the early '70s. I'll do some more range time with my renewed focus on mdlt, but the ball flight I saw was so much better than my previous body driven swing. I'm excited about golf again.

Remember that most PGA tour players, males, hit slightly down on their drivers.

Steve

Driver position.

Steve

Remember that most PGA tour players, males, hit slightly down on their drivers.

Steve

Ok, good to know. I'll try moving ball back in inch increments and check the results. More to follow. Though with a driver swing speed of 96-98mph maybe I need the 'hit up'.

So having the ball slightly forward but the club in the center of your stance makes sense for a driver, but what about a 3 wood? And does it matter if it's tee'd up vs not?

I like playing woods slightly in front of centered (less so than before due to this method), but not sure if the above is the same for 3w/5w/hybrids/etc.

I always start with the club head in the center of my stance the ball on the target side. Only when the ball is on a tee would I consider moving the ball very far forward of the club head. Even with a three wood I want to strike the ball slightly down and forward and that becomes harder to do as the ball moves up in the stance.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hey Steve. Had a question regarding Manuels teaching. It's mostly about take away and the start of the swing. He says to swing the clubhead back with both hands over the right shoulder. But in his book I read that the whole club has to move at the same time to create a swinging motion. So in my mind that means that the grip the shaft and the clubhead are all moving at the same time by the use of the hands. To me it feels like when I do that the hands were just holding on and the the arms or swing the club up to the right shoulder. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

"Patience without understanding"

Hey Steve. Had a question regarding Manuels teaching. It's mostly about take away and the start of the swing. He says to swing the clubhead back with both hands over the right shoulder. But in his book I read that the whole club has to move at the same time to create a swinging motion. So in my mind that means that the grip the shaft and the clubhead are all moving at the same time by the use of the hands. To me it feels like when I do that the hands were just holding on and the the arms or swing the club up to the right shoulder. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Manny was concerned that the club be swung and not moved in another way such as pulled, pushed or levered. Manny defined levering the club as occurring any time when the but of the club moved in the opposite direction from the club head. Hence the teaching that the whole cub moves at the same time in the same direction. No leverage allowed.

When we do this with our hands are arms are involved but not consciously. If your intention is to swing the club heads over the trail shoulder with both hands the arms will move to accommodate.

One of my faults is sometimes I slip into swinging the club back with my arm, not my hands and the result is I'm pulled off the ball rather than coiled over the ball. Poor shots ensue.

As to a true swinging motion, it is easier to feel it than describe it. Manny's method for teaching you to feel what a swinging motion is like was to swing a weight on the end of a string from waist high on one side to waist high on the other. If you're swinging the string remains taught. If you start with leverage the weight stops moving. I, speaking for myself think a training aid sold online as the Whippy Tempo Master. The only way to hit satisfactory shots with that is to swing it and you will soon learn what it means to swing.

Steve

Thank you Steve. Great explanation on the matter. Another 2 questions and then I'll leave you alone lol. Did Manny give people a saying or any feels to relieve tension before the swing starts? And second question, are your hands a touch ahead of the clubhead at address? (slight shaft lean) And thank you Steve for keeping the mdlt going on here.

Thank you Steve. Great explanation on the matter. Another 2 questions and then I'll leave you alone lol. Did Manny give people a saying or any feels to relieve tension before the swing starts? And second question, are your hands a touch ahead of the clubhead at address? (slight shaft lean) And thank you Steve for keeping the mdlt going on here.

Manny never taught "feels" being certain that the correct movement of the club would feel different to different people. He would remind a student to relax of he detected tension in the swing but he left it to the student to discovery what proper relaxation felt like to him.

At address the club head is in the center of my stance and the butt of the club is pointed to the center of my body. My intention is to return the club to that position at impact. Notwithstanding my intention because of the speed in the arms when I return to impact my hands are ahead of the ball and I have sufficient shaft lean. The impact position is a result of swinging the club forward with my arms, not something I consciously try to achieve.

Steve

One of the things I found that really made things click was a video of him talking about the takeaway. He said if you take it back with the right arm, the club will be shut and off plane. If you take it back with the right hand, the club stays square and on plane. This was a biggie for me. All the years of "turning" to start the takeaway would leave my arms straight, which led to sucking it inside and flat by the time I got to the top. If I use both hands, that right elbow tends to fold in a more natural fashion, instead of a contorted feeling.

Whew... discovered and read this whole thread over the past few nights. Thnx to The Pearl and juststeve, and all the other contributors concerning the MDLT swing and philosphy. Adopted this about 10 yrs ago after realizing my golf longevity wasn't going to happen with what was being taught about the "body swing" moving off the ball, lot of foward shaft lean, huge divots, etc.

Steve Stricker has been mentioned alot on here as a model, does Chris Kirk's swing fit this MLTD mold. My untrained teaching eye is just curious. Any other current players or LPGA players ? Thoughts, thnx.

Sherri Steinhauer, Carol Mann, Ted Purdy and Tommy Aaron are the best known, to me, of Manny's long time students. It could be argued though that almost all good golfers at every level exhibit the fundamental tenets of the swing Manny taught:

1. They move the club by swinging it;

2. They swing the club around a relatively fixed swing center; and

3, They swing the club toward the target.

Those three things are the heart of what Manny taught. The other things are secondary

Steve

Sherri Steinhauer, Carol Mann, Ted Purdy and Tommy Aaron are the best known, to me, of Manny's long time students. It could be argued though that almost all good golfers at every level exhibit the fundamental tenets of the swing Manny taught:

Those three things are the heart of what Manny taught. The other things are secondary

Steve

It really helps me when I think about swinging the whole club towards the target, not just the clubhead. I visualize the entire shaft swinging on plane towards the target. If I think clubhead then I cast and swing underplane and too inside out.

Hope that makes sense.

Steve, thanks again for all your contributions.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

So I played 18 today and did an experiment. On the front nine I used the lower body arms along for the ride swing, and on the back the MDLT swing.

On the front nine I shot a 44, while hitting four fairways and one green.

On the back nine I shot a 36 while hitting seven fairways and six greens.

Now, this one test does not mean that the MDLT method is best, but it certainly gives one pause. I will continue to pursue it.

I always start with the club head in the center of my stance the ball on the target side. Only when the ball is on a tee would I consider moving the ball very far forward of the club head. Even with a three wood I want to strike the ball slightly down and forward and that becomes harder to do as the ball moves up in the stance.

Steve

Swinging this way, whenever I play the ball further forward than Manny's instruction I definitely feel like I come around it with my shoulders a bit. I don't know that the feel is quite real -- i.e. coming OTT -- but the 'circle', the path does move left with a pull-fade type of shot. Harder to get center contact in his method with the ball far ahead I would think.

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

Steve

I don't think about swinging my arms at the target...I just visualize the target and swing the arms. They seem to know which way to go. :-)

Steve

I don't think about swinging my arms at the target...I just visualize the target and swing the arms. They seem to know which way to go. :-)

Swing the club at the target....not the arms. :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Steve

Swing the club at the target....not the arms. :)

Correct you are, it is the club that goes toward the target, but producing that motion will feel different to different people. If Sean is producing a straight flight to the target we can be sure that however he experiences it he is swinging the club in the direction the target. No other way to produce a straight ball flight to the target. If the day comes when his current thought/feel no longer produces the desired ball flight he will need to find another remembering that he must swing the club in the direction of the target no matter how that feels to him.

Steve

So I played 18 today and did an experiment. On the front nine I used the lower body arms along for the ride swing, and on the back the MDLT swing.

Now, this one test does not mean that the MDLT method is best, but it certainly gives one pause. I will continue to pursue it.

Sean, you've been here a long time like me. Out of everything this forum has had to offer over the years, mdlt has the whole package. A simple way to swing, and a way to have fun. There's nothing wrong if you do it right. Its a brilliant way to approach it! It helps you stay away from the body part blaming game that we fall into. There are some theories on this site where I have gone from shooting a 77 to a 94 a month later. With Manuels way, I don't worry about embarrassing myself on the course. And that to me is worth the price of gold. We've all had those rounds where we are playing terrible and you keep telling yourself or others, "I'm really not this bad". Well, you're not. You just too busy thinking about a inside takeaway or using your right elbow to shallow the swing. Work on perfecting what manuel says and you will see the rewards

Sean, you've been here a long time like me. Out of everything this forum has had to offer over the years, mdlt has the whole package. A simple way to swing, and a way to have fun. There's nothing wrong if you do it right. Its a brilliant way to approach it! It helps you stay away from the body part blaming game that we fall into. There are some theories on this site where I have gone from shooting a 77 to a 94 a month later. With Manuels way, I don't worry about embarrassing myself on the course. And that to me is worth the price of gold. We've all had those rounds where we are playing terrible and you keep telling yourself or others, "I'm really not this bad". Well, you're not. You just too busy thinking about a inside takeaway or using your right elbow to shallow the swing. Work on perfecting what manuel says and you will see the rewards

Very well said! I am a bit surprised his methodology isn't used by more teaching professionals.

Very well said! I am a bit surprised his methodology isn't used by more teaching professionals.

Surprised too. Especially when most are trying to teach the same thing, they're just do It it in a different language. Manuel is teaching basic math, while most others are teaching trigonometry. I think people also hear the word "hands" from the start and run for the hills. Like the hands are the devil in golf or something. But yet the hands are the only thing holding onto the club. Makes no sense to me why people are so scared of them

Would the late Payne Stewart be an excellent example of MDLT principles?

Not sure how MDLT felt about Payne. When I took my lessons with Manuel he said one of his favorite swings was Tom Watson. Tommy Aaron was a student of Manuel's as well as Sheri Steinhauer. Their swings are both on YouTube. I think Tommy's is especially educational.

I come to appreciate more and more of MDLT teaching scheme - swing the arms and let the body response. My understanding now is that the body response is very complicated - counterbalancing, shifting, turning, flexing, extending, ... with correct timings, too many to fit into a golfer's mind to not interfere with a swing. Moreover, many conventional teachings are single modal, turning in a barrel, single plane, ...., can be harmful, since an effective human swing is always multi modals - a composite of basic actions. The key is to rely on the instinctive responses, the subconscious is more intelligent than we assume, as long as we really "swing".

Steve, what loft do you play with your driver? Does the MDLT method work best with high loft or low?

I play a 915 D2, the stiff shaft that came with the driver. Its marked 10.5 degrees.

High of low loft? Depends on how high you want to hit your drives.

The 10.5 works for me although I've used less loft in the past.

Steve

juststeve,

First, thanks again for facilitating a truly informative thread. I think your straightforward approach and obvious experience and ability to "soak up" MDLT's teachings is what has perpetuated this thread.

As a refresher for myself, as well as maybe a solid "late thread summary" could I ask you for a "reset?"

That is, if one wanted to adopt Mr. de la Torre's swing model now, how would you go about it?

- Reading "Understanding the Golf Swing"

- Watching some of MDLT's swing videos? (I could watch the video of MDLT hitting a mid iron on the range for hours, like the old Sybervision videos. LOL!)

- Watching some of his "presentation" videos and those of his "disciple" coaches;

- Take lessons from a teaching pro versed in MDLT's "model" (if so, who)

Thanks again for keeping this thread focused!

juststeve,

First, thanks again for facilitating a truly informative thread. I think your straightforward approach and obvious experience and ability to "soak up" MDLT's teachings is what has perpetuated this thread.

As a refresher for myself, as well as maybe a solid "late thread summary" could I ask you for a "reset?"

That is, if one wanted to adopt Mr. de la Torre's swing model now, how would you go about it?

- Reading "Understanding the Golf Swing"

- Watching some of MDLT's swing videos? (I could watch the video of MDLT hitting a mid iron on the range for hours, like the old Sybervision videos. LOL!)

- Watching some of his "presentation" videos and those of his "disciple" coaches;

- Take lessons from a teaching pro versed in MDLT's "model" (if so, who)

Thanks again for keeping this thread focused!

You should certainly read his book then seek out an instructor who teaches Manny's approach. If you go to his web site it contains a list of instructors listed geographically who teach his concepts. I can't vouch for them personally but at least aqt the time the list was created Manny thought enough of them to put them on the list.

Steve