KSIG versus K3

monks66

I have hit the new K3 and I must say that the Kirkland Signature mantra of "as good if not better than leading industry products" is flat wrong in this case. There are much better 3 piece golf balls out there, and it isn't even close. Project A, Pro V1, and numerous Bridgestones just to name a few. The K3 is a better 3 piece ball than the Project S, Top Flite Gamer, and Callaway Superhot, but that's about it. Sure, the K3 is more economical, but the Kirkland Signature brand doesn't say "much better considering the price". They present themselves as being equal to or better than despite the economical pricing, like the OG Ksig.
for me the K3 was every bit as good as the AVX. Even when cut open, the cover thickness looked the same . Same ball flight (low) and same green side spin (or lack there of)

IMO when compared to the $47 AVX it is as good. Not better but as good for 1/3 the price

To me, this all becoming harder and harder to sort through. I was told by MGS that these "white label balls" come out of three factories: Nassau, Fantom, and Foremost and is available for anyone who wants to purchase it. Sometimes exclusive deals may be negotiated in those situations. And in these cases its really coming from a variety of elements from expired patents. They believe this ball does not perform well into the wind based on inferences from that. As far as information that was shared on the podcast about the ball, they have reportedly been working on this story for 6 months and have been in touch with half a dozen sources on over 3 continents and that's where their information is coming from.

I still believe the best way to handle this would have been to release the podcast information along with testing results in one article or post the podcast information followed up within a day or so of testing data....

I guess also the cutaway part of the 3 piece ball usually indicates less durability, very clicky, and a bad sign for greenside spin

It’s not clicky at all and the thicker cover I think makes it feel softer. Just my opinion

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have hit the new K3 and I must say that the Kirkland Signature mantra of "as good if not better than leading industry products" is flat wrong in this case. There are much better 3 piece golf balls out there, and it isn't even close. Project A, Pro V1, and numerous Bridgestones just to name a few. The K3 is a better 3 piece ball than the Project S, Top Flite Gamer, and Callaway Superhot, but that's about it. Sure, the K3 is more economical, but the Kirkland Signature brand doesn't say "much better considering the price". They present themselves as being equal to or better than despite the economical pricing, like the OG Ksig.
for me the K3 was every bit as good as the AVX. Even when cut open, the cover thickness looked the same . Same ball flight (low) and same green side spin (or lack there of)

IMO when compared to the $47 AVX it is as good. Not better but as good for 1/3 the price

To me, this all becoming harder and harder to sort through. I was told by MGS that these "white label balls" come out of three factories: Nassau, Fantom, and Foremost and is available for anyone who wants to purchase it. Sometimes exclusive deals may be negotiated in those situations. And in these cases its really coming from a variety of elements from expired patents. They believe this ball does not perform well into the wind based on inferences from that. As far as information that was shared on the podcast about the ball, they have reportedly been working on this story for 6 months and have been in touch with half a dozen sources on over 3 continents and that's where their information is coming from.

I still believe the best way to handle this would have been to release the podcast information along with testing results in one article or post the podcast information followed up within a day or so of testing data....

I guess also the cutaway part of the 3 piece ball usually indicates less durability, very clicky, and a bad sign for greenside spin

It’s not clicky at all and the thicker cover I think makes it feel softer. Just my opinion

That was my first thought when I read that. As of now, I think its safe to say they haven't had the ball in their possession to form their own viewpoint on at this point. It does look like they may test it now though..

... I picked up 4 dozen KS3's for the Mrs. She is a good golfer and shoots in the low 90' and sometimes upper 80's but has the game to shoot in the 70's of she would just spend more than 3 rounds a month on the game. But I have not hit the KS3 yet but am quite disappointed by the glossy, cheap look. Thankfully it doesn't matter to her and I will play a round with one just to compare to the KS4. And speaking of the KS4 ...

... I played with a 25yr old Mini Tour winner in Orlando back during the PGA Show and he was a treat to play with. I had a 35yd advantage so we both had 247ish to a par 5 that was guarded by some trees and I laid up with my 4 iron, leaving me a 30yd pitch. He hit his 4 iron OVER the trees to about 15 feet. I was playing a KS4 and he asked me if I liked them as much as other premium balls. He said he found them inconsistent as the QC was suspect and out of the dozen he had 2 that were shorter and a different compression than the rest, so he did not trust them. Of course he gets ProV1's for free so price doesn't matter to him but I found his opinion interesting since I experienced something similar with my first dozen. I pulled one out and tested it on course with a TM Tour Preferred X and Z Star. My KS4 was significantly clickier and harder feeling than the Z Star and the TPx which of course is harder than the Z Star. I posted my thoughts on another forum and quite a few said they found the feeling very similar between the KS4 and TPx and did not find it too clicky. I went back and tried the rest of the dozen and sure enough, the one ball I had pulled out was harder than the rest. I checked my second dozen and 2 balls were harder than the other 10. I still play them, especially at their price for the kind of performance hey produce, but I do not trust them in competition.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

... I picked up 4 dozen KS3's for the Mrs. She is a good golfer and shoots in the low 90' and sometimes upper 80's but has the game to shoot in the 70's of she would just spend more than 3 rounds a month on the game. But I have not hit the KS3 yet but am quite disappointed by the glossy, cheap look. Thankfully it doesn't matter to her and I will play a round with one just to compare to the KS4. And speaking of the KS4 ...

... I played with a 25yr old Mini Tour winner in Orlando back during the PGA Show and he was a treat to play with. I had a 35yd advantage so we both had 247ish to a par 5 that was guarded by some trees and I laid up with my 4 iron, leaving me a 30yd pitch. He hit his 4 iron OVER the trees to about 15 feet. I was playing a KS4 and he asked me if I liked them as much as other premium balls. He said he found them inconsistent as the QC was suspect and out of the dozen he had 2 that were shorter and a different compression than the rest, so he did not trust them. Of course he gets ProV1's for free so price doesn't matter to him but I found his opinion interesting since I experienced something similar with my first dozen. I pulled one out and tested it on course with a TM Tour Preferred X and Z Star. My KS4 was significantly clickier and harder feeling than the Z Star and the TPx which of course is harder than the Z Star. I posted my thoughts on another forum and quite a few said they found the feeling very similar between the KS4 and TPx and did not find it too clicky. I went back and tried the rest of the dozen and sure enough, the one ball I had pulled out was harder than the rest. I checked my second dozen and 2 balls were harder than the other 10. I still play them, especially at their price for the kind of performance hey produce, but I do not trust them in competition.

Oh Breed, please give it up...The mini tour guy read straight from the Titleist propaganda sheet...QC is not an issue...Just look in the main thread...

... LOL, I love this place. So many panties that have trouble staying untied. Of course looking at your profile I have no idea if you are a Russion bot. I have been reviewing equipment probably longer than you have been alive, but no way to know since you have not put any info in your profile. I do not play ProV1's and have not in a loooooong time. I have played TP's for quite awhile now and am currently playing the TP5x but have 3 dozen KS4's after giving a dozen to my son since they are his favorite ball. Mini Tour kid was giving an opinion, no more no less and he never mentioned ProV1's, I just saw he was playing them. And My first 2 dozen KS4's had a difference in compression which is not propaganda, it is anecdotal. Still gonna play em though.

... LOL, I love this place. So many panties that have trouble staying untied. Of course looking at your profile I have no idea if you are a Russion bot. I have been reviewing equipment probably longer than you have been alive, but no way to know since you have not put any info in your profile. I do not play ProV1's and have not in a loooooong time. I have played TP's for quite awhile now and am currently playing the TP5x but have 3 dozen KS4's after giving a dozen to my son since they are his favorite ball. Mini Tour kid was giving an opinion, no more no less and he never mentioned ProV1's, I just saw he was playing them. And My first 2 dozen KS4's had a difference in compression which is not propaganda, it is anecdotal. Still gonna play em though.

зевать

зевать

Just reading that made me yawn.

Oh Breed, please give it up...The mini tour guy read straight from the Titleist propaganda sheet...QC is not an issue...Just look in the main thread...

Please agree to disagree...at least the "premium" balls don't have a huge seam in the cover...don't tell me cheaper balls don't do weird things in the air sometimes...they do.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Please agree to disagree...at least the "premium" balls don't have a huge seam in the cover...don't tell me cheaper balls don't do weird things in the air sometimes...they do.

have you seen the K3 ? The seem , if there is one is nothing compared to KSIg

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

ProVs had a seam at one point. Were they not premium balls then?

50481359.jpg

зевать

Just reading that made me yawn.

I don’t speak Sputnik.

50481359.jpg

What's your hdcp? Trolling is for the birds...

So I accidentally grabbed some K3s today thinking I had grabbed K4s out of my trunk. I didn't realize it until the third hole when I really looked at them. I had subconsciously noticed they were bright white and cheaper looking earlier, but it didn't click until I picked it up off the green on 3.

In any case my impressions are below. I swing between 100-110 and am probably a 15-18 handicap right now. I usually play K4s and/or B330. I was not playing any other balls today for a heads up comparison, so understand this is a mediocre golfer's impression based on their memory of other rounds.

• Feel - Felt good to me and similar to K4 and B330, maybe slightly firmer. Not hard and clicky like a Zstar XV. Felt very nice off the putter.
  • Launch - These seemed to launch on a noticeably lower trajectory than either the K4 or B330.
  • Driver - Spin was close but if I had to pick, I would say they seemed to be lower spin than K4 of B330. Distance was as good as these other balls. This was an executive course so I didn't get a lot of chances to hit driver but it didn't disappoint when I did. I had 2 drives that rolled out to 280 and probably carried north of 260 which is great for me. One was a foot short of the green on a 286 yard par 4 and it felt nice to be looking for my ball in the fairway for a while before realizing it was on the fringe.
  • Irons - Feel/spin/distance was similar to what I'm used to. It was a windy day and the ball did well. I think the combination of low spin and trajectory made it excel in the wind. Obviously, this is not what I was expecting after listening to MGS. My buddy playing Pro V1x had a lot of ballooning iron shots where as all my shots were much more penetrating.
  • Short game - This is where the ball struggled for me. It was just too low spinning for the way I like to play. I like to spin the ball and use my 58 degree for a lot of shots inside 50 yards, generally flying the ball close to the hole and this ball struggled to hold the green with that style of play. I don't mind a "lower" spinning ball like the B330 but this was not quite enough for me. By the last third of the round, I adjusted and had some nice chips, but I prefer to have the higher spin shot available when I play.
  • Durability - Not normally something I care too much about as I lose more balls than I care to mention. That being said, I think you could fire a shotgun at this and it would look fine after. This ball appears hard (maybe its the bright white and cast urethane) which is why it is strange that it feels nice and crispy off your irons and driver.

Overall it seems like a great ball with excellent distance, low trajectory, and low spin characteristics. It did unexpectedly well in the wind, feels good and while lower spin than I want, I could play this ball and be fine.

50481359.jpg

What's your hdcp? Trolling is for the birds...

Yup Chief I'm trolling...Caught me!!!!...I'm just stating a fact any golfer knows...The ball, "premium" or cheap, will do what your swing tells it to do...Good swings will usually result in the ball performing well and most likely going were you're aimed...Now we all know each ball is different and just because one is cheaper than another doesn't mean "weird" things are going to happen...Weird things happen usually because a bad swing caused it to happen...I've yet to see a "premium" or cheap ball do a figure 8 off the tee on a good or bad drive...Now that would be weird...

In regards to spines on golf balls...If you think a spine on a ball makes it do something drastically different than a non spined ball, then you're very mistaken...Most people tend to believe the spine only impacts the ball flight based on whether or not you've aligned it or not...But who knows what the truth is...For whatever reasons, OEMs tend not to opine too much on this subject...BTW, the 3pc doesn't even have a spine...Or at least one I can find...As far as the 4pc, yes it does have a spine and it has never once made me even think about the spine and the performance of the golf ball...

But who am I to know what I'm talking about...I'm just a single digit handicap who plays competitive golf with K-Sigs, average 150+ rounds a year, have been known to play a single K-Sig for 10 rounds with no drop in performance and may have enough free time on my hands to know a thing or two about the performance of a variety of golf balls, shafts, clubs etc....

I said it in another thread, but here is the best comparison from a few years ago.

K3 = TP3

Ksig = TP5

Really it’s that simple. K3 spins more off mid-irons. Look at an old package of those TP3 and TP5 balls and that’s K3 vs Ksig.

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

I played 18 with the K3 this week. It’s a perfectly fine tour ball. Is it my favorite ball ever, price not withstanding? No. Am I concerned about it’s performance affecting how I play? Not in the slightest. I actually shot my lowest round in a decade with the K3.

Tee shots: Went just as far as they normally do.

Irons: Flew my expected difference

Full Wedges: spun just like any other tour ball

Half wedges: hop and stop

Chips: predictable

Putter: on the softer, more muted side.

Durability: off the charts

I have a hard time believing anyone that says this plays drastically different than other 3pc tour balls. Feel is one thing, and performance is another. I’d be shocked if this ball spins more than 300-400rpm different throughout the bag than other urethane covered balls.

Allow me, last Titleist ball I played was the Professional 100, yes and my first set of new irons were PING Eye's ( as original eye),,,, I have been around,,,,,,, my question is, how did you test the compression?

Lol. So I can't say bad things about k3 here?

I know it's not same as ksig, duh. my point is that it's not even close to being as good as ksig.

People who are comparing this to project a or Qst just because they all are 3 piece urethane are clueless.

Assuming this is directed at me so I'll respond.

My post at the MSG people is the statement that they are using data as the foundation of their opinions and that hype isn't a factor. As mentioned, they haven't hit, played or tested the ball so they can't have an opinion formed on data.

You have every right to say what you want about a ball or even what tees everyone should play. But when the "value" you're purporting to bring to avid golfers is based on data and you have none, you've invalidated your model.

My post wasn't intended to you sir, but after reading your reply, I must get this sorted out.

You sound like I'm biased against K3 with negative effect from MSG.. you even said MSG bashed K3 without even testing it.. I agree that MSG is wrong to give such opinion out since they are a commercial review site.

Truth is, I haven't heard MSG on recent Ksig articles, frankly I don't like MSG much. I don't understand, then, why you are asking for 'data' to back up my claim that K3 is inferior (in my words, "nothing like Ksig") to Ksig.

I'm an amateur golfer, not a review site. I don't have, nor doesn't have to provide 'data' to say what I felt after trying it out. The part I'm annoyed is that when people claim "With this XXX ball, I shot my best score!" or "My driver went 10 yds past my current ball!" . people don't say, "It's the Indian, not the arrow" but when few goes against the current and say opposite, crowd goes WILD. "are you sure that you struck it well?" .. ."have you played enough rounds with it?" This cracks me up.!! LOL

I played a round with K3 and shot my worst score, does that apply?, No? Why?

Off the driver, it felt dead, mid-irons were ok/good. short game was terrible (not much spin) and feeling off a putter was so-so.

I was just giving my opinion that K3 did not perform anywhere close to Ksig. Some people will say it's cheaper, it's different.. Yes they are all correct, but to me, it does not justify saving only $6/ 2 dozen to get this ball.

I see another person saying K3 does not uphold the 'Kirkland Signature' quality, and I'm sure more will pop up. Sure K3 is very cheap and many will consider the fact when deciding its performance, I respect that. But my personal opinion is that I would spend bit more than play K3.

Yup Chief I'm trolling...Caught me!!!!...I'm just stating a fact any golfer knows...The ball, "premium" or cheap, will do what your swing tells it to do...Good swings will usually result in the ball performing well and most likely going were you're aimed...Now we all know each ball is different and just because one is cheaper than another doesn't mean "weird" things are going to happen...Weird things happen usually because a bad swing caused it to happen...I've yet to see a "premium" or cheap ball do a figure 8 off the tee on a good or bad drive...Now that would be weird...

C'mon man, have seen it happen with several companies...just because you have not does not make it untrue. Besides, another post stated a better player having problems with consistency in Ksig.

I never stated anything about the 3 pc having seam or the like...you called me out like a child on an internet forum...like it takes skill or something. I never claimed to know anything about ball engineering either..but you can beat your cyber chest about what you know if you like. What I do know is what I have seen happen on the golf course with cheaper balls. If you know stats..which it seems you will make claim on no matter what, my sample size of testing was small. However, the cheaper ball all performed poorly when I least expected or did not want it to. That is all I put in my post and your inner troll called my game out....

Lol. So I can't say bad things about k3 here?

I know it's not same as ksig, duh. my point is that it's not even close to being as good as ksig.

People who are comparing this to project a or Qst just because they all are 3 piece urethane are clueless.

Assuming this is directed at me so I'll respond.

My post at the MSG people is the statement that they are using data as the foundation of their opinions and that hype isn't a factor. As mentioned, they haven't hit, played or tested the ball so they can't have an opinion formed on data.

You have every right to say what you want about a ball or even what tees everyone should play. But when the "value" you're purporting to bring to avid golfers is based on data and you have none, you've invalidated your model.

My post wasn't intended to you sir, but after reading your reply, I must get this sorted out.

You sound like I'm biased against K3 with negative effect from MSG.. you even said MSG bashed K3 without even testing it.. I agree that MSG is wrong to give such opinion out since they are a commercial review site.

Truth is, I haven't heard MSG on recent Ksig articles, frankly I don't like MSG much. I don't understand, then, why you are asking for 'data' to back up my claim that K3 is inferior (in my words, "nothing like Ksig") to Ksig.

I'm an amateur golfer, not a review site. I don't have, nor doesn't have to provide 'data' to say what I felt after trying it out. The part I'm annoyed is that when people claim "With this XXX ball, I shot my best score!" or "My driver went 10 yds past my current ball!" . people don't say, "It's the Indian, not the arrow" but when few goes against the current and say opposite, crowd goes WILD. "are you sure that you struck it well?" .. ."have you played enough rounds with it?" This cracks me up.!! LOL

I played a round with K3 and shot my worst score, does that apply?, No? Why?

Off the driver, it felt dead, mid-irons were ok/good. short game was terrible (not much spin) and feeling off a putter was so-so.

I was just giving my opinion that K3 did not perform anywhere close to Ksig. Some people will say it's cheaper, it's different.. Yes they are all correct, but to me, it does not justify saving only $6/ 2 dozen to get this ball.

I see another person saying K3 does not uphold the 'Kirkland Signature' quality, and I'm sure more will pop up. Sure K3 is very cheap and many will consider the fact when deciding its performance, I respect that. But my personal opinion is that I would spend bit more than play K3.

100% respect for you and your opinion because you have played the ball and that's the perfect foundation for your opinion. If it works or doesn't work at least you tried and you bring experience and "data" to the table.

The MSG guys present themselves as purely data driven but admitted in their podcast that they have zero experience with playing or testing the ball.

I guess MSG is MGS incognito. I think they are a little pissed that they created the storm over the ksig in the first place and didn't reap any benefit. They probably got in trouble with all the other ball makers after that review. That might explain their behavior. The pure speculation that they published was ridiculous. Maybe they were led astray by some dis-info on the USGA conforming ball list. But if they were basing their comments on that, they deserved to be fooled.

I've played both kirkland balls, and both are serviceable. I had no problem with short game or full iron spin with either. I hope someone with a trackman does a careful test against the prov1 and prov1x so we get some objective information.

I guess MSG is MGS incognito. I think they are a little pissed that they created the storm over the ksig in the first place and didn't reap any benefit. They probably got in trouble with all the other ball makers after that review. That might explain their behavior. The pure speculation that they published was ridiculous. Maybe they were led astray by some dis-info on the USGA conforming ball list. But if they were basing their comments on that, they deserved to be fooled.

I've played both kirkland balls, and both are serviceable. I had no problem with short game or full iron spin with either. I hope someone with a trackman does a careful test against the prov1 and prov1x so we get some objective information.

While comparing the K3 to a top level ball may be nice, I would be more interested in comparison against something like TF Gamer Tour. People love the Gamer, I didn't care for it at all. I do like the K3 better than the Ksig.

The "MGS" stuff is about as data-driven as a car dealer ad or golf channel infomercial. They routinely give detailed, highly judgmental evaluations of products that don't even exist yet. Half the time they eventually come up with "data" that supports their initial bluster. The other half the time they clam up and never show any "data", presumably when they can't find any to justify their earlier balloon juice.

I played 18 with the K3 this week. It's a perfectly fine tour ball. Is it my favorite ball ever, price not withstanding? No. Am I concerned about it's performance affecting how I play? Not in the slightest. I actually shot my lowest round in a decade with the K3.

Tee shots: Went just as far as they normally do.

Irons: Flew my expected difference

Full Wedges: spun just like any other tour ball

Half wedges: hop and stop

Chips: predictable

Putter: on the softer, more muted side.

Durability: off the charts

I have a hard time believing anyone that says this plays drastically different than other 3pc tour balls. Feel is one thing, and performance is another. I'd be shocked if this ball spins more than 300-400rpm different throughout the bag than other urethane covered balls.

That reads about like the majority of ball comparisons I've ever done (assuming it's between urethane-covered ball). For it usually works out to something like "about the same, about the same, about the same, maybe sounds a bit different off the putter". Give or take.

In my experience there really haven't been too many balls enough different than usual to be noticeable by my weekend golfer's game. Not saying I necessarily disbelieve people who can see 2-3 yard differences or detect 10% more or less spin but that sort of distinction is far beyond me.

the k3 is softer, which i like a lot, but something about the orig ksig i like, strange because i dont like a firmer ball, and no, not the price, something about the look of the ball i like, strange i know, but golf is a mental game, and its all about confidence hitting the ball...i am just a mid handi, but like they say about clubs, if you look down at it, and it doesnt look good, you wont hit it good...

Played the Ksig3 today. Feels like a chrome Soft. Good distance. Nice control. Nothing super amazing but the ball works well. I would easily play this ball again and again.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

the k3 is softer, which i like a lot, but something about the orig ksig i like, strange because i dont like a firmer ball, and no, not the price, something about the look of the ball i like, strange i know, but golf is a mental game, and its all about confidence hitting the ball...i am just a mid handi, but like they say about clubs, if you look down at it, and it doesnt look good, you wont hit it good...

"And no, not the price"

Huh??

... I played the KS3 for the first time yesterday but conditions were less than ideal so I could make no real companions to urethane balls I like. However, I am the opposite of you and glossy KS3 balls just look like Top Flite's and other cheap surlyn covered balls. So admittedly it is a silly superficial reason to dislike a ball but there are too many other balls out there, including the KS4 and my favorite the TP5x, that I really like to compromise so the wife gets 4 dozen K3's as she could care less what the cover looks like as long as it performs.