Iron headcovers - yay or nay?

What's the big deal anyway?

Driver- cover -check

putter - cover -check

Fairways- cover - check

hybrid - cover -check

And some people think you are annoying with covers on your irons

I once read on here a guy said he would NEVER golf with someone who has head covers on their irons. You can't be serious

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

I use them but almost exclusively to decrease the SOUND of bag-chatter when riding. When I had an Ogio Silencer I went without but the grip lock mechanism started to fail after only ~6 months of use and, at the time, Ogio didn't have any more available for warranty replacement. Now that I'm back to a regular bag (Wood-E) I've gone back to iron covers just because I hate the click-clack noise that irons make when cart riding. I'm not terribly worried about club chatter dings.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

New forged irons, sure, especially if you ride in a cart. Nothing like the look of those new forged heads.....

Now with cast heads and you use a pushcart, it won't make a bit of difference.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

For travel, yes.

Otherwise, no.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Driver- cover -check

putter - cover -check

Fairways- cover - check

hybrid - cover -check

I once read on here a guy said he would NEVER golf with someone who has head covers on their irons. You can't be serious

That may have been me. And I’m dead serious. If I’m on the tee and a single wants to join me and he’s got iron headcovers on, he’s going to get politely declined.

Using club condoms is a sure sign of a personality disorder in my book.

• 3 weeks later...

Driver- cover -check

putter - cover -check

Fairways- cover - check

hybrid - cover -check

That may have been me. And I’m dead serious. If I’m on the tee and a single wants to join me and he’s got iron headcovers on, he’s going to get politely declined.

Using club condoms is a sure sign of a personality disorder in my book.

Practicing safe golf to avoid the complications of any potential equipment malady still makes good sense to many of us. :taunt:

Besides, you might be surprised. Many of us are really nice people despite our equipment phobias.

Do people actually care enough that another person might not like them?

Probably biggest “hack-tag” besides a staff bag with s ball retriever. But hey I can’t hate, they came with a set of my irons special ordered (not great quality) but use in vehicle to and from course to keep chatter to minimum, I know they’re only “tools” of the game, but come end of season I have no problem getting good return on clubs to replace if need be. I’m sure more ho’s use than admit to. During a round? Slows down play, and wish I could as sometimes when I have to ride in a cart I feel like a specific driver hits bumps to antagonize me because I cringe hearing them bounce around.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Do people actually care enough that another person might not like them?

...because I cringe hearing them bounce around.

This is 90% of why I use covers during play, especially when riding... I can't stand the sound and I'm not ginger with my cart driving. I got away from them when I had a Silencer bag, but when the mechanism started failing and I had to replace it with something else (none in stock for a warranty replacement) I went back to covers. I'm not really bothered by dings/dents (my 6i had a rock gouge the size of a small mammal when I bought them, helped in getting a good deal) but the sound of chattering irons when riding drives me nuts.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use them, but don't anymore. They stopped the bag chatter and the damage to things they come in contact with, but that is all very minimal. I just don't think they're needed because irons hold up quite well.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Especially if you have forged irons, unless you think the 'door dings' on them look 'cool' or similar.

Even decent cast irons get dinged up, and I personally can't stand the clanking around, so covers keep it quieter as well.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I started using them to transport my clubs to and from the range, then realized I didn't have to listen to them clanking together the whole round when I walked or rode. So, I started using them all the time. I usually buy cheap neoprene ones, so if they get lost eventually, no biggie.

As I've gotten older, I find the cost of new irons has gotten so that I have to game a set for 3-5 seasons, before I can afford to upgrade. I want to keep my irons looking and playing good for that entire time, so the iron covers are staying on. I'm not the kinda person who gives a $*it what someone else thinks of me using them. I say "To each his own..."

I started using them to transport my clubs to and from the range, then realized I didn't have to listen to them clanking together the whole round when I walked or rode. So, I started using them all the time. I usually buy cheap neoprene ones, so if they get lost eventually, no biggie.

As I've gotten older, I find the cost of new irons has gotten so that I have to game a set for 3-5 seasons, before I can afford to upgrade. I want to keep my irons looking and playing good for that entire time, so the iron covers are staying on. I'm not the kinda person who gives a $*it what someone else thinks of me using them. I say "To each his own..."

Exactly! I've had same set of Castle Bays for over 10 years, haven't lost one yet...I simply put in my pocket, hit my shot, clean club face and cover goes back on. Other than normal face and sole wear my forged irons look new.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

So just got a brand new set of clubs, whole new bag. Only ever had hand-me-downs or old seconds hand clubs so never really thought about this.

Wood and hybrid came with headcovers, so did the putter, and I have a small knitted headcover I had previously made in my football teams's colours I've put on my matte black wedge (definitely don't want that to get accidentally banged around, looks amazing!) but the irons and sitting bare in the bag.

I've always thought people with iron headcovers were unnecessarily protecting their clubs, who cares if your irons have a few dings on them? But now I've bought brand new sticks I'm starting to lean that way!

So iron headcovers, what do you think? Annoying taking them off all the time? Good idea to protect your clubs?

Regarding irons, bag-chatter is the sign of a life well lived. Bag-chatter, dents, dings and scuffs are part of what make your clubs your clubs.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

So just got a brand new set of clubs, whole new bag. Only ever had hand-me-downs or old seconds hand clubs so never really thought about this.

Wood and hybrid came with headcovers, so did the putter, and I have a small knitted headcover I had previously made in my football teams's colours I've put on my matte black wedge (definitely don't want that to get accidentally banged around, looks amazing!) but the irons and sitting bare in the bag.

I've always thought people with iron headcovers were unnecessarily protecting their clubs, who cares if your irons have a few dings on them? But now I've bought brand new sticks I'm starting to lean that way!

So iron headcovers, what do you think? Annoying taking them off all the time? Good idea to protect your clubs?

Regarding irons, bag-chatter is the sign of a life well lived. Bag-chatter, dents, dings and scuffs are part of what make your clubs your clubs.

Ok, I have to kid here a bit because by the same reasoning dents in your car fender make your car your car. But seriously, who takes pride in the their car dents?

It just comes down to what level of concern each of us has about our own stuff... some will be more so and some will be less so. There is no right or wrong here.

no. always - no.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Ok, I have to kid here a bit because by the same reasoning dents in your car fender make your car your car. But seriously, who takes pride in the their car dents?

It just comes down to what level of concern each of us has about our own stuff... some will be more so and some will be less so. There is no right or wrong here.

Now you're just talking crazy!

Just kidding - to each his own. :drinks:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I never did believe in them but since I purchased my PXG Gen 2 they are a must.

i thought the whole reason people pay triple is so people know they did?

*i'm only kidding, calm down PXG people, was JUST a joke.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I never did believe in them but since I purchased my PXG Gen 2 they are a must.

i thought the whole reason people pay triple is so people know they did?

*i'm only kidding, calm down PXG people, was JUST a joke.

Too soon, Gio. Too soon.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black