2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Finish this sentence...."You know you're in for a long day when..."

Medic

When you make triple on the first hole, without a penalty, or even being out of the fairway or first cut.

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

You show up on #1, you are the 2:45pm tee time, it’s 2:45 and there are two foursomes yet to tee off, and you are a twosome.

4 hr and 55 min round.

Time to play 2 balls, practice putting after you finish the hole, and enjoy being outside!

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

When you make the turn and gramps has snuck his way in front of you and is teeing up two balls without a club in his hands..

Ugh that sort of happened to me and my dad on Sunday. We got through 7 holes without an issue and then when we got to 8 tee we realized there was in fact a group in front of us. Now both my dad and I are reasonably fast players, but my dad is going to be 71, has a bad-ish knee and walks, so we aren't exactly going to set any records for speed golf. Combine that with it being the first serious round of the season for us, and little winter practice, we aren't exactly lighting it up either with 2' foot tap ins for birdie on each hole. In short, we were playing about 10-12 minutes a hole and on average pace. We waited on every shot for about 2-3 minutes from 8 tee all the way to 11 green. Then I saw one of the guys hit 3 balls off of the 12th tee, mind you there are only a twosome, and they knew we were right behind them as they were glancing back for all of 10 and 11 and saw us as they walked to the deck of 12. I told my dad not to bother putting as if we picked up and walked to the tee they might let us through, and luckily, they had enough course etiquette to do just that and we sailed for the rest of the round.

The group that tee'd off a hole behind us is likely a slow-play story for the ages. It was a four-some of younger guys, one of which was carrying an old-school brown leather golf bag with a single strap. I was so happy we were in front of them. We were on the third green (par 3) when they were getting to their tee balls on two, so still a hole behind. We got to 6 tee and they were just on 4 tee. We got to 11 and I think they were still on 7. So either they were the world's slowest and worst players or they knew there was noone behind them and they were just playing like 5 balls each.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

The guy you're paired up with takes 12 practice swings before ballooning his driver on the first tee. And yes i started to count after his 5th practice swing.

Last year I was paired up with 3 guys and one of them had reached the point where the game of golf was having intercourse with his brain. He was generally ok speed wise on the tee box and greens, but the fairway was a whole other issue.This guy had become so paralyzed with swing thoughts and fear in the fairways that he was taking forever to pull the trigger.

After a while I counted once how long it would take him to pull the trigger once he set the club down behind the ball and it was 13 seconds. Then a couple of holes later I did it again and it was 13 seconds. Then I started doing it on every fairway shot (there was a lot of them btw) and it was 13 seconds every time. That may not seem like a lot of time to some, but try it sometime and count to 13. If that was me I would have been put in a straight jacket and placed in the rubber room after a couple of rounds. It was really really tough to watch never mind that I had to watch him do that 2-3 times before i could even hit my second shot. Brutal.

It's Easter weekend and when you get to the tee box the group in front of you is a dad and his 2 kids with 3 sets of rental clubs. The dad then proceeds to tell the starter that he has never played golf before but his kids saw it on tv and wanted to try it

That's when you are praying that the starter is one of the good ones who when hearing that, will give a quick, impromptu lesson on the etiquette of letting people play through.

You and your partner are paired up with a music blasting, beer guzzling, scream across the fairway to other golfers, all they can talk about is the women they wish would date them duo.

And you didn't even mention what they do when the cart gal comes around. But of course she is probably lovin it because they are likely to tip larger if they are buzzed and think they have a chance. Then again I guess that's the makings of another thread.

Tru dat!

That should be a new thread... Best/Worst Interactions with a Cart Girl you have seen/witnessed/participated.

It's Easter weekend and when you get to the tee box the group in front of you is a dad and his 2 kids with 3 sets of rental clubs. The dad then proceeds to tell the starter that he has never played golf before but his kids saw it on tv and wanted to try it

I am hoping this is made up...

If I was the starter I would have told them no chance and radioed the shop and told the pro to come up and have a word with them. I don't care if they ranted and raved all the way to the parking lot and swore they'd never be back. I'm not having a group of literal first-timers slash away at the course on one of the busiest weekends of the year.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

If I was the starter I would have told them no chance and radioed the shop and told the pro to come up and have a word with them. I don't care if they ranted and raved all the way to the parking lot and swore they'd never be back. I'm not having a group of literal first-timers slash away at the course on one of the busiest weekends of the year.

That makes so much sense. Unfortunately it would be so rare to ever happen. Very few courses are willing to turn away that kind of a transaction. Three green fees, three sets of rentals, probably some balls, tees, gloves, etc. Probably a pretty good bill when its all totaled.

That makes so much sense. Unfortunately it would be so rare to ever happen. Very few courses are willing to turn away that kind of a transaction. Three green fees, three sets of rentals, probably some balls, tees, gloves, etc. Probably a pretty good bill when its all totaled.

I agree it's a good bill...let's call it $100 in green fees + $50 in balls and tees (let's be honest, they bought the Noodle double dozens or Pinnacle 15 packs), and the rental fee is probably something like $150-200. However, for every group that is immediately behind them for the next 10-12 slots, most are going to be so peeved off at the course for how slow it is that they may never return. Let's pretend the weekend is jammed and they have 10-12 tee times (roughly two hours) of slots all filled with 4somes of fairly regular players, that's ~$1300 in regular, returning shop revenue (not counting food and bev) they are turning away for more than likely only $300 on one day as they are going to hack it up so bad they are going to get frustrated and not pick up a club again for the rest of the year.

I know the old saying that money in the till is more important that money in the till later (as you can't predict it), but this seems like a no brainer that these are not returning customers.

I agree it's a good bill...let's call it $100 in green fees + $50 in balls and tees (let's be honest, they bought the Noodle double dozens or Pinnacle 15 packs), and the rental fee is probably something like $150-200. However, for every group that is immediately behind them for the next 10-12 slots, most are going to be so peeved off at the course for how slow it is that they may never return. Let's pretend the weekend is jammed and they have 10-12 tee times (roughly two hours) of slots all filled with 4somes of fairly regular players, that's ~$1300 in regular, returning shop revenue (not counting food and bev) they are turning away for more than likely only $300 on one day as they are going to hack it up so bad they are going to get frustrated and not pick up a club again for the rest of the year.

I know the old saying that money in the till is more important that money in the till later (as you can't predict it), but this seems like a no brainer that these are not returning customers.

I agree 100% Chris. Unfortunately I don't think many will be that forward thinking. Especially in this situation where the money has already been paid and the guys are ready to tee off. If the dad had said this in the proshop prior to paying hopefully the guy behind the counter would have made some alternative suggestions for them.

I just think that at that point most probably won't act. Hopefully at the least the starter is competent enough to stress to them about etiquette and keeping things moving, letting people go through (which obviously is going to be an all day headache for everyone) and most importantly, gets them on the most forward tees possible.

So much in that scenario depends on the type of course. We have some publics where the people behind the counter don't have a clue about what goes on out there. That's why on a weekend you see singles and doubles going off in between threes and fours. No pairing people up. I'm sure at the better courses, especially in the metro areas, the guys working the counter would take some sort of preventative action if they knew the situation.

Actually happened this year. Basically looked like a circus with his kids grabbing clubs and running to their balls.

My group all hit good drives and second shots within 75 yards of the green, agreed to all take pars and we picked up while they were still on the green and jumped ahead.

...you're on a 16 man golf trip, the shuttle ready to pull out at 8:00am and for an 8:30 tee time (course is 10 minutes away) and one guy, we'll call him Tim, who was up all night drinking and went for a 13-Mile run in the morning is just jogging down the driveway. Tim disappears into the house, comes out 15 minutes later and still has shaving cream on his face having just showered and shaved while 15 of us sat on the shuttle.

TRUE STORY!

Just thank God it wasn't Father's day..... busiest golf day of the year... hands down...

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

While warming up, hit a few off the hosel. You grab your favorite club to help kick the shanks and it gets worst.

Did that exact thing so I went to the new Pro and told him I had the shanks.... he says there is no such thing as having the shanks, so come with me to the range.... shanked a SW..... shanked a 9 Iron..... shanked a 6 iron ..... the pro looks at me and says.....(swear to God this is true).... well Geno..... looks like you have the shanks....... it was good for a laugh from everybody within earshot......

fixed it myself, by the way.... moved away from the ball a bit and viola.... gone