Overspeed Training

squarre

We are in week 5.5 of doing the SuperSpeed training. He will do the dynamic stretching then hit 3 balls before the training session. Using the Swing Caddie SC200 to measure his swing speed he usually starts somewhere around 87-88 mph. During the SuperSpeed session I have a sports radar that he uses so that to improve the swing speed with the SS's each swing. After the SuperSpeed program he hits another 3 balls and we measure each. The first session he measured 91 mph on those 3 swings. Fast forward 5.5 weeks later and his before is 89/90 mph and his after is 93mph. Will continue to monitor and update.

In regards to over speed training, just using one weighted club will not work. There is an entire thread on it. You have to use the 3 weighted system for the speed training to work. We tried the Drive 400 program and it did not work. Reason why is that you are only using the Driver that you have to do the training. Over Speed training is training and making your brain believe that you can swing faster. You can't do this with just one weighted club. One weighted club will only be giving you a physical work out and not training your brain to swing faster.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1425320-superspeed-golf-training-system/page__hl__%20superspeed__st__120

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems like A LOT of people doing this now

wonder if it gets to the point where juniors who don't will be at a disadvantage (similar to OEM drivers)?

Don’t believe those are comparable. In my opinion over speed training is much more important.. cause either you have speed or not, it’s not something you can just buy on eBay.

I tell my son get your speed with over speed and develop a efficient swing. We can always buy a OEM club but you can’t but the rest.

wonder if it gets to the point where juniors who don't will be at a disadvantage (similar to OEM drivers)?

Don't believe those are comparable. In my opinion over speed training is much more important.. cause either you have speed or not, it's not something you can just buy on eBay.

I tell my son get your speed with over speed and develop a efficient swing. We can always buy a OEM club but you can't but the rest.

I am not convinced overspeed training really works in the long run especially for juniors. Juniors are growing a lot so swing speed should be increasing over a period of time.

I am saying it doesn't work just that it may not be whats behind the increase that is claimed you either have speed or you don't.

Don't believe those are comparable. In my opinion over speed training is much more important.. cause either you have speed or not, it's not something you can just buy on eBay.

I tell my son get your speed with over speed and develop a efficient swing. We can always buy a OEM club but you can't but the rest.

I am not convinced overspeed training really works in the long run especially for juniors. Juniors are growing a lot so swing speed should be increasing over a period of time.

I am saying it doesn't work just that it may not be whats behind the increase that is claimed you either have speed or you don't.

It works and has been documented to work for Junior Golfers.

We are in week 5.5 of doing the SuperSpeed training. He will do the dynamic stretching then hit 3 balls before the training session. Using the Swing Caddie SC200 to measure his swing speed he usually starts somewhere around 87-88 mph. During the SuperSpeed session I have a sports radar that he uses so that to improve the swing speed with the SS's each swing. After the SuperSpeed program he hits another 3 balls and we measure each. The first session he measured 91 mph on those 3 swings. Fast forward 5.5 weeks later and his before is 89/90 mph and his after is 93mph. Will continue to monitor and update.

In regards to over speed training, just using one weighted club will not work. There is an entire thread on it. You have to use the 3 weighted system for the speed training to work. We tried the Drive 400 program and it did not work. Reason why is that you are only using the Driver that you have to do the training. Over Speed training is training and making your brain believe that you can swing faster. You can't do this with just one weighted club. One weighted club will only be giving you a physical work out and not training your brain to swing faster.

http://www.golfwrx.c...rspeed__st__120

Thanks for posting on the results. This is very kind of you to let us in on what is happening. My son's set will come in on Friday.

http://www.golfwrx.c...rspeed__st__120

Picked up this set also. My son(13) and I do it every other day together. Actually has him excited and looking forward to training on this 3-4x a week. After a week his weighted swings speeds have gone up significantly. They will likely plateau in week 2 onwards after the initial bump. His Driver swing speed used to be around 72-75 mph. His Driver swing speed has jumped to 82mph now. I think this is more about the technique aspect. The weighted sticks training helps in building the lag. He can see that immediately on the swing speed radar when training. So, as he is engaging his lower body more and feeling his arms mostly relaxed in the swing, the resulting swing speeds have gone up, and the contact is better.

It will be interesting to monitor the progress few weeks into it to see if the results are sustainable for him

• 2 weeks later...

FYI...my son (11 y/o) is in his first week of overspeed training. We are using a sports radar which I think tends to be a little on the high side compared to trackman. In his 1st workout his highest swing speed was 91mph. In his 3rd workout, he hit 95 mph. he just started so we will see if this holds up.

I will say that the day before he hit the 95 mph, he was playing and hit a drive towards a bunker. He thought for sure he was going in but ended up carrying it. That is the first time he has ever carried that bunker so something is happening.

FYI...my son (11 y/o) is in his first week of overspeed training. We are using a sports radar which I think tends to be a little on the high side compared to trackman. In his 1st workout his highest swing speed was 91mph. In his 3rd workout, he hit 95 mph. he just started so we will see if this holds up.

I will say that the day before he hit the 95 mph, he was playing and hit a drive towards a bunker. He thought for sure he was going in but ended up carrying it. That is the first time he has ever carried that bunker so something is happening.

In the main Swing Speed Thread they say that the Trackman uses radar for swing speed then calculates what the swing speed is at the center of the club face. I believe they said the Trackman is around 5mph slower. I think the Swing Caddie SC200 does the same thing. Beginning to the the Swing caddie is a POS. We use another radar as well and it is consistently 5-8mph faster than the SC200. Radar devices used for speed only are measuring the toe of the club which is the fastest part.

We started about a week ago for reference my daughter is only 7. When testing her swing speed with a driver before around 55- 58. On Tuesday after her over speed session her driver was 61 four times in a row. I would say it works.

What size did you get, Pee Wee or All Star?

From what I understand, it is ideal to be about as long as Driver. For us (7 YO, Boy), that woudl be about 34" Driver legth.....sort of in between but the weight of the All Star Set seems to better match up with Heavy Hitters above guidance (lightest = 20% lighter than driver, Med = 10% lighter, Heavy = 5% heavier). Currrent Driver total setup is about 262 g.

In the main Swing Speed Thread they say that the Trackman uses radar for swing speed then calculates what the swing speed is at the center of the club face. I believe they said the Trackman is around 5mph slower. I think the Swing Caddie SC200 does the same thing. Beginning to the the Swing caddie is a POS. We use another radar as well and it is consistently 5-8mph faster than the SC200. Radar devices used for speed only are measuring the toe of the club which is the fastest part.

Here are the things I am interested is watching:

• When will the plateau happen and how fast will he be?
  • How long will the plateau last and how far will the jump be after that?
  • Do you have to continue doing the training to maintain the speed?
  • Would it be better to do it in intervals? 3 monts on...1 month off...3 months on?
  • What does TPI think of this? Does this fit into their model of hitting the speed zones for juniors?

Also, this is the radar we are using. https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sensors-Swing-Speed-Radar/dp/B00124P7SI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1524772337&sr=8-9&keywords=sports+radar

We started about a week ago for reference my daughter is only 7. When testing her swing speed with a driver before around 55- 58. On Tuesday after her over speed session her driver was 61 four times in a row. I would say it works.

What size did you get, Pee Wee or All Star?

From what I understand, it is ideal to be about as long as Driver. For us (7 YO, Boy), that woudl be about 34" Driver legth.....sort of in between but the weight of the All Star Set seems to better match up with Heavy Hitters above guidance (lightest = 20% lighter than driver, Med = 10% lighter, Heavy = 5% heavier). Currrent Driver total setup is about 262 g.

we went all star since she is almost 8 and a huge kid. I didn't want to buy twice with in 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...my son is in his 2nd week of speed training. Started at 91 mph with the green stick and hit 100 mph yesterday.

Another interesting change, on the tee box the other day he got after it on the swing and per gamegolf, hit his longest drive ever. I asked him what he changed. He said if he was going to do the speed training, he might as well swing fast on the course. I guess the speed training gave him permission to go fast.

Quick update...my son is in his 2nd week of speed training. Started at 91 mph with the green stick and hit 100 mph yesterday.

Another interesting change, on the tee box the other day he got after it on the swing and per gamegolf, hit his longest drive ever. I asked him what he changed. He said if he was going to do the speed training, he might as well swing fast on the course. I guess the speed training gave him permission to go fast.

Is he using the adult set?

I guess you guys are doing all this so your child can hit longer. My son and I came from baseball so he swung baseball bats long before he became a tournament golfer. He never had a problem with swing speed. When we started playing tournament golf at 9-10 he was easily outdriving the other boys, many times Dads would say they couldn't hit their drivers that far. But looking back I would trade in a second his ability to spank a long drive for short game and putting touch. He was 4-5 years behind the boys he was competing against since they started at 4-5 years old and he started at 9, but didn't really play year round like they did until he was 13. All those early years they had to hone their putting from 20-30ft and laser short games from 60 yards in. All these things they could do before they could hit far with their drivers. At 13 my son hit a 360 yd drive on what is now hole 1 at Poppy Hills, he then proceeded to hit a 110 yd 54 wedge blowing the green by 20 yards, chipped on and 2 putted for par. If he had any decent short game he should've been going for eagle, especially when the nearest other boys drove 250. I still remember worrying that he was going to kill the marshall standing on top of the hill at 250 and that same marshal telling the boys, there's one at 225, 2 here in the bunker at 250, and the next one iis in the next county... When they are young, don't worry so much about speed or distance, concentrate on accuracy under pressure especially for what they can accomplish now, as they grow the distance will come. 220 in the middle of the fairway will beat 290 into the trees every day of the week.

I guess you guys are doing all this so your child can hit longer. My son and I came from baseball so he swung baseball bats long before he became a tournament golfer. He never had a problem with swing speed. When we started playing tournament golf at 9-10 he was easily outdriving the other boys, many times Dads would say they couldn't hit their drivers that far. But looking back I would trade in a second his ability to spank a long drive for short game and putting touch. He was 4-5 years behind the boys he was competing against since they started at 4-5 years old and he started at 9, but didn't really play year round like they did until he was 13. All those early years they had to hone their putting from 20-30ft and laser short games from 60 yards in. All these things they could do before they could hit far with their drivers. At 13 my son hit a 360 yd drive on what is now hole 1 at Poppy Hills, he then proceeded to hit a 110 yd 54 wedge blowing the green by 20 yards, chipped on and 2 putted for par. If he had any decent short game he should've been going for eagle, especially when the nearest other boys drove 250. I still remember worrying that he was going to kill the marshall standing on top of the hill at 250 and that same marshal telling the boys, there's one at 225, 2 here in the bunker at 250, and the next one iis in the next county... When they are young, don't worry so much about speed or distance, concentrate on accuracy under pressure especially for what they can accomplish now, as they grow the distance will come. 220 in the middle of the fairway will beat 290 into the trees every day of the week.

100% disagree and if you read or listen to what the experts say, they disagree as well. You need to listen to the Dr. Greg Rose podcast I posted. He said “the number one goal for a young golfer is to learn to be Athletic so they can hit the ball a long way. They can teach the rest later.”

100% disagree and if you read or listen to what the experts say, they disagree as well. You need to listen to the Dr. Greg Rose podcast I posted. He said “the number one goal for a young golfer is to learn to be Athletic so they can hit the ball a long way. They can teach the rest later.”

I agree. I’ve read or heard a few of the great players have said that they learned to hit it hard first, then worried about speed later. This was back when all you had was persimmon and butter knives to work with. The reason was that it would be a lot easier to dial it back later than it would be to try to gain speed as an older player.

Yes he is using the adult set. He is using a the new ping driver and the weight of that bumped him to the adult set.

Jolly...I hear what you are saying but just because he is trying to hit it further doesn't mean we think the short game is unimportant. In fact just the opposite as he spends much more time chipping and putting than anything esle. Also, you always want what you don't have. Last year, Speith was chasing more distance. Dustin Johnson works a ton on his wedges and putting.

My son last year played in an 18 hole event with a kid that out drove him by 40+ yards. There were four par 4s my son could not reach. His competitor could not only reach those Par 4s in two, he could also reach the Par 5s in two. I don't care how good your short game is...he has no chance against that. I don't care how good your short game is.

Yes he is using the adult set. He is using a the new ping driver and the weight of that bumped him to the adult set.

I am frustrated with the radars I have. I have a netplayz personal radar and I have the Voice Caddie Sc200 radar. The Sc200 I do not like. The radar and ball speed are highly inaccurate. The fastest his swing speed has been with it is 93mph. Most of the time it is misreading, I believe, because it won’t register over 89 and I know he is swinging faster than that. The we go to the NetPlayz and it is registering 100-114. I think it may pick up the ball at impact at times. I know he is swinging faster, but don’t really know how much because I can’t get a true reading.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1425320-superspeed-golf-training-system/page__hl__%20superspeed__st__120

I emailed Voice Caddie to find out why my unit wasn’t accurate. They told me not to unfold the support all the way back and to get the unit as vertical as possible. It worked.

After 9 weeks of training we have a 5 mph increase in swing speed. After SS training he took his 3 shots with driver and went 95/94/95.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone else seen swing changes after using the speed sticks? My guy's swing has flattened out a lot. There's always something to work on.

My kid stopped doing them because it really messed up his swing. His coach, who recommended, and bio-mechanics guy said for him to quit for a few months. The program tells the golfer to swing as fast and as hard as you can. He was doing so by getting the device too inside too fast. It naturally transferred to the golf swing and he was getting stuck inside and started coming down the line steep. It caused several problems.

He is going to start them back up, but we are going to keep a more watchful eye on him performing the golf swing properly when using them.

Anyone else seen swing changes after using the speed sticks? My guy's swing has flattened out a lot. There's always something to work on.

My kid stopped doing them because it really messed up his swing. His coach, who recommended, and bio-mechanics guy said for him to quit for a few months. The program tells the golf to swing as fast and as hard as you can. He was doing so by getting the device too inside too fast. It naturally transferred to the golf swing and he was getting stuck inside and started coming down the line steep. It caused several problems.

He is going to start them back up, but we are going to keep a more watchful eye on him performing the golf swing properly when using them.

This is really good to know and it could just be a coincidence - my son swing got quite steep in the Spring. I just attributed it to growth spurts but it could very well have been the overspeed training we did over the winter/spring.

Have not done Overspeed for a few months but will keep a close eye if/when he starts again.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else have any feedback from going through the program? We’re in “off season “ now , but was thinking of starting SS for a few months to help keep his golf muscles working. For those that saw this program change their swing, for worse- what would you do prevent that if you did the progra again ? Would you do it again? What was the overall benefit.