For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

• 1 month later...

I just recently discovered GG. I like his thoughts on the rear shoulder beating the club to the ball. I think it’s a good thought for me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I just recently discovered GG. I like his thoughts on the rear shoulder beating the club to the ball. I think it’s a good thought for me.

I think that thought would help someone who has trouble rotating

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Kind of rando question...and I’m not aware if GG ever addressed this...but what direction do you *feel* your crotch is pointed when executing the squat move, i.e. your legs start opening up?

For a simple frame of reference, let’s say the center of the clock is the spot on the ground directly under you. The ball is at 12 o clock and the target is at 9 o clock. At transition, is your crotch pointing at the ball (12 o clock) or more like 1 or 2 o clock, behind the ball. Obviously 10 or 11 is probably too open, if not physically impossible, for transition...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Kind of rando question...and I’m not aware if GG ever addressed this...but what direction do you *feel* your crotch is pointed when executing the squat move, i.e. your legs start opening up?

For a simple frame of reference, let’s say the center of the clock is the spot on the ground directly under you. The ball is at 12 o clock and the target is at 9 o clock. At transition, is your crotch pointing at the ball (12 o clock) or more like 1 or 2 o clock, behind the ball. Obviously 10 or 11 is probably too open, if not physically impossible, for transition...

At the top of the backswing his ideal is that the hips have rotated 45* in other words crotch pointed about 1:30.

If I remember correctly, he says hips should get to square again (12 o'clock) by P5? (Have to watch some videos again)... Definitely open by P6 so the kick up can begin.

For me personally, my feel is that the hips nor shoulders turn at all from the top until P6, however they most certainly do.

Important to remember that it doesn't matter one bit what it feels like, as long as that feel produces the correct move.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

At the top of the backswing his ideal is that the hips have rotated 45* in other words crotch pointed about 1:30.

If I remember correctly, he says hips should get to square again (12 o'clock) about P6.

For me personally, my feel is that the hips nor shoulders open at all from the top until P6, however they most certainly do.

Important to remember that it doesn't matter one bit what it feels like, as long as that feel produces the correct move.

Well this might explain A LOT...during most of 2016-2017 when I was struggling mightily with a similar instructor, I was under the impression that the crotch pointed at 12:00 from the top...

Curious how others experience this...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Well this might explain A LOT...during most of 2016-2017 when I was struggling mightily with a similar instructor, I was under the impression that the crotch pointed at 12:00 from the top...

This is what helped me understand the move a lot better.

If you look at Bubba's leg work, both quads are facing the target well before impact.

A lot of people look at the GG move as rotating the left leg around. But I actually focus more on rotating the left hip around and the left leg takes care of itself. When I focus more on the left leg rotation, I end up sliding because the left hip doesn't rotate.

RH

If I remember correctly, he says hips should get to square again (12 o'clock) about P6.

For me personally, my feel is that the hips nor shoulders open at all from the top until P6, however they most certainly do.

Wrote my above post late last night. Pretty sure I was wrong about where hips are at P6 for GG.

Nevertheless, when he talks about left shoulder staying down and being level with the right until P6, and I try to accomplish that, I feel like I havent rotated at all.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

• 3 weeks later...

I took a lesson from GG on 4/20 (no pun intended). I was over in LA that week and scheduled it back in February because I wanted to make sure I could get time with him. Since I’ve never taken a lesson from him, either online or in-person, I scheduled a 2-hour session with him.

The best way to schedule a lesson with him is to text his number. You will likely get Frank (I’m assuming it’s Frank Tesoro) who will confirm the lesson time with you. The day before the lesson Frank reconfirmed with me via text message…so this was a well-run organization from my experience.

Going into the lesson, I thought the Westlake Village Golf Course would be a ratty, muni style course. I didn’t play there, but the course looked like it was in very good condition. You do hit off mats on the range, but the range is a good solid range. You have to pay for a large bucket of balls with the lesson, but I just looked at it like it was a $10 surcharge to the lesson. And after the lesson, you can take those balls and hit them on the range while you practice what you are working on. Unfortunately, I had another appointment and couldn’t do that.

I’m usually not a tardiness control freak, but golf lessons are the one area where I am. GG was there on time and was ready to go. I had heard that GG was really good in getting a lot of info in to his students in just 1 hour. But I wanted a 2 hour lesson to perhaps get a little more info than he normally would for a 1 hour lesson and be able to do it a slower pace. And that is exactly what I got.

I would break down the importance of the lesson in three areas:

1. GG told me some concepts that I didn’t understand as well as I thought I did.
  2. GG told me of some concepts that I hadn’t heard of before
  3. GG instructed me of some concepts that I was flat-out doing poorly.

The big thing we started off was with posture. I had the shoulders rolled and the armpits over the balls of the feet as he likes. I wouldn’t say I’m Adam Scott type of posture by any means, but my butt was not over the heels. And this caused me to lean over too much and not be able to rotate the pelvis.

Even with online lessons, I actually think I would have a difficult time of getting the posture correct as I think you need GG (or one of his certified instructors) to put you in the correct position a few times to get a feel for what it’s like. I referred to it with StuckSteepShut as ‘the fear of prison rape posture’ the next day.

We also had the ball position moved forward a tad. I’ve never had a teacher recommend that to me. Going into the lesson, I was a +5 to +6 AoA with the driver at 162 mph ball speed. And a -1.3 AoA with the 6-iron. I told GG that I felt I had some low point control issues. And one of the things that helps me along with any lesson from any teacher is when I can understand why I likely did certain things to compensate in the swing. I think my ball position being back was either part of the problem (forcing me to hang back in the downswing) or was a compensation to deal with my higher ball flight and/or upward AoA with the driver.

GG also mentioned that I moved off the ball in the backswing too much. It wasn’t like I could not make that move, but there is a way to do it that wasn’t part of my backswing. He did give me 2 options…either make the backswing where I was ‘creating a ball’ with my right hip to the top of the swing. Or I could move off the ball and use more of my upper body to ‘re-center’ myself. I felt that I was likely better off ‘creating a ball’ off the right hip in the backswing and we went with that (GG agreed with me).

The good news was that with the new posture and just explaining the concept of ‘creating a ball’ off the right hip…I was getting that almost instantaneously in the lesson to the point it was never a problem again.

For the downswing, my issue was all with the tilts (which I’ve seen for a long time, I just didn’t know how to fix it). My left leg in the downswing would get too much pressure into the ground from the inside of the foot instead of the outside. The left foot would also not ‘absorb’ the ground enough in transition due to my left knee being too straight. And as I would rotate, early on my right knee is too straight and I’m not getting a lot of ground pressure and my tilts were causing the low point issues.

With this move, I realize how important it is in transition to get the pressure more outside the left foot. If I get the pressure more inside the left foot, I am going to straighten the left leg too early and stall my rotation. If I get the pressure outside my left foot (with rotation) before P5, then I at least have a chance of executing properly.

A couple of helpful checkpoints GG gave me where:

At P5 the left hip should be lower than the right hip and the pelvis should be square to the target

At P6 the hips should be level and the pelvis should be ~25* open.

From there we worked on a few different drills. Since I was getting the posture and backswing down quite well, we mainly focused on a drill where I rotate like he showed me, but I don’t get up and out of forward flexion.

It looks ridiculous when I execute the drill correctly, but the purpose is to get the rotation feel down first and then I can get up and out of flexion (I call it the Horseshoes Move as it feels like I’m throwing horse shoes when I do it).

After all of that, GG went over on how I plan to implement these moves. He asked if I video tape my work which I do. And I also told him I’m a big proponent of slow motion work. GG liked that, but did know that many golfers don’t have the patience to do slow motion practice. He also suggested doing a lot of ‘freezers’ as well to help with the process.

Overall, it was a fantastic time. I had to play the next day and went out to Rustic Canyon with ShutSteepStuck and hit the ball fairly well all things considered. One of the things I noticed with the new posture is that it’s easy to stand too close to the ball and that can steepen the AoA too much. I also started to notice how important it is to get the pressure outside of the left foot before I get to P5. The following day I played Hillcrest which is much tighter and I had some struggles there, but a lot of that was distance perception on some wedges and while Hillcrest is not deceptive, having never played there you really need to know where to aim your drives.

But, I’m very pleased with the time I spent with GG and look forward to doing it again, sometime.

RH

• Like 1

Great recap, Richie! You were incorporating things nicely out there on Sat. Next time I think you may need to play the back of the box...just to make things a little more fair.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

Great recap, Richie! You were incorporating things nicely out there on Sat. Next time I think you may need to play the back of the box...just to make things a little more fair.

You're really trying awful hard to hustle money from me.

RH

I took a lesson from GG on 4/20 (no pun intended).

Expensive or reasonable?

It's not cheap...$350 per hour.

But, I can afford that and would be willing to pay twice that much if I was almost certain it would greatly improve my game. I play enough golf that paying even twice as much is worth it to me...if it means not having to spending more money on more lessons.

It's kind of like when I got fitted at True Spec Golf. I knew getting fitted by them (I was mainly looking for the right club head) would end up costing me less than not getting fitted and spending more money over the long haul on more equipment.

What I like about GG's teaching is not only does it continually get great results and it has worked well for me prior to this lesson simply by watching videos. But, to me it's pretty low maintenance. I can now err, but err in the 'right direction' and still manage to hit the ball the well.

RH

I took a lesson from GG on 4/20 (no pun intended).

Expensive or reasonable?

It's not cheap...$350 per hour.

But, I can afford that and would be willing to pay twice that much if I was almost certain it would greatly improve my game. I play enough golf that paying even twice as much is worth it to me...if it means not having to spending more money on more lessons.

It's kind of like when I got fitted at True Spec Golf. I knew getting fitted by them (I was mainly looking for the right club head) would end up costing me less than not getting fitted and spending more money over the long haul on more equipment.

What I like about GG's teaching is not only does it continually get great results and it has worked well for me prior to this lesson simply by watching videos. But, to me it's pretty low maintenance. I can now err, but err in the 'right direction' and still manage to hit the ball the well.

RH

Well back in early 2015 he was 150 a lesson.., same information just way cheaper. Demand has spike from Instagram obviously

I'd like to talk about the last pic you see in the above post from DD. Both George and Dana want the pressure back in transition then kick up or push off and extend. Does the combination of this extension move and rotation get the hands moving left and clubhead out resulting in better clubface control?