2019 Houston Open

lowndes

No big deal that the Golf Club of Houston is backing out. Mediocre venue at best.

But it would be a big deal if the city of Houston were to lose the PGA TOUR. I'm not familiar with the Houston golf scene, but I would imagine there are a few class venues capable of hosting the Houston Open. Hopefully, something can be worked out.

Make it quaint, and make it interesting. The last thing the TOUR needs is another wide open 7,400 yard course with water on half the holes.

No big deal that the Golf Club of Houston is backing out. Mediocre venue at best.

But it would be a big deal if the city of Houston were to lose the PGA TOUR. I'm not familiar with the Houston golf scene, but I would imagine there are a few class venues capable of hosting the Houston Open. Hopefully, something can be worked out.

Make it quaint, and make it interesting. The last thing the TOUR needs is another wide open 7,400 yard course with water on half the holes.

You seem down on GC of Houston. What is wrong with water?

I don’t think he has a problem with water but he’s right saying it is just another wide open 7,400 yard course with water on half the holes. This description fits all but a handful of courses we see every week now. Drop the same design into every city and you can’t tell Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Boston, Scottsdale, Chicago or a dozen others apart. There is nothing uniquely Houston or Texas about the course. Pick any replacement and who cares?

Mediocre venue? Lefty likes the course. He knows a thing or two about golf - I'm siding with him. You're correct that it would be a blow to the city to lose this tournament.

I'm thinking the Champions course might be the best venue. The TPC was held there back in the late 90s - early 2000s. The Champions Tour will be playing there early next month.

I don't think he has a problem with water but he's right saying it is just another wide open 7,400 yard course with water on half the holes. This description fits all but a handful of courses we see every week now. Drop the same design into every city and you can't tell Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Boston, Scottsdale, Chicago or a dozen others apart. There is nothing uniquely Houston or Texas about the course. Pick any replacement and who cares?

How can a course be wide open, but have water? There's a couple tight holes out there like #2.

I don’t think he has a problem with water but he’s right saying it is just another wide open 7,400 yard course with water on half the holes. This description fits all but a handful of courses we see every week now. Drop the same design into every city and you can’t tell Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Boston, Scottsdale, Chicago or a dozen others apart. There is nothing uniquely Houston or Texas about the course. Pick any replacement and who cares?

Exactly what I would've said. Thank you. :)

Mediocre venue? Lefty likes the course. He knows a thing or two about golf - I'm siding with him.

Tell you what, buddy- Create a poll on any golf observer forum, and ask the folks which golf course is more interesting, Riviera or GC of Houston. Case closed.

It was all about the money. GCOH has a new owner that wanted a ridiculous amount of cash.... from what I heard. Knew this was going to happen months ago.

As for the next course....

Having just played my state Am qualifier at The Club at Houston Oaks, I can't think of any better course to host the Houston Open. It has an excellent layout, very challenging, long enough (7000+ yards.. par 71!!!) and it is in a magnificent community. It is also an extremely walkable course, with enough room for spectators. Add to that a stunning club house with a beautiful locker room.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

It was all about the money. GCOH has a new owner that wanted a ridiculous amount of cash.... from what I heard. Knew this was going to happen months ago.

Having just played my state Am qualifier at The Club at Houston Oaks, I can't think of any better course to host the Houston Open. It has an excellent layout, very challenging, long enough (7000+ yards.. par 71!!!) and it is in a magnificent community. It is also an extremely walkable course, with enough room for spectators. Add to that a stunning club house with a beautiful locker room.

Not familiar with that course. Taking into consideration most spectators will get there by shuttle, is there room for parking?

Not familiar with that course. Taking into consideration most spectators will get there by shuttle, is there room for parking?

TONS... it is literally 1 mile from acres of farm land.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

I don't think he has a problem with water but he's right saying it is just another wide open 7,400 yard course with water on half the holes. This description fits all but a handful of courses we see every week now. Drop the same design into every city and you can't tell Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Boston, Scottsdale, Chicago or a dozen others apart. There is nothing uniquely Houston or Texas about the course. Pick any replacement and who cares?

Except that TPC Oaks in San Antonio has water on only two holes (lake on 3 and a creek in front of green on 18), so can't say it fits the description at all.

TONS... it is literally 1 mile from acres of farm land.

I’m not a big fan of that course but if I recall isn’t it all two lane farm roads leading to the course? It’s been awhile since I’ve been out there so maybe that’s changed. It would struggle to handle the traffic I would think. Cool club those with a bunch of fun things to do. Not sure about a PGA Tour stop though.

Never going to happen because I don't those members what a bunch of people to come in and tear up their nice course.

Members at GC of Houston didn't have that problem because they had their own course.

I played Golf Club of Houston two weeks ago and loved it.

Memorial is a good layout but no.

Length is not everything - my home course works and is 7000 of Championship tees and its had some good championships there and another this year.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Except that TPC Oaks in San Antonio has water on only two holes (lake on 3 and a creek in front of green on 18), so can't say it fits the description at all.

I don’t think the actual acre-feet of water was his whole point but if you think TPC San Antonio is a one of a kind layout then I’ll stop here.

Is there even going to be a Houston Open going forward? Y'all know that date slot went to the Texas Open

starting next year...........and the players are happy about it. They say the greens at the AT&T Oaks course

at TPC San Antonio are much more like Augusta than the greens at the GC of Houston.

And Valero has inked a 10 year extension and so now they get rewarded with a better date the week before

the Master's. Expecting an even better field next year.

Lol I played memorial last week.

The thought of it hosting a tour event is hilarious.

Would require millions in upgrades to meet the conditioning standards of the tour, to say nothing of reducing the foot traffic it gets that beat it to hell.

Plus even if you got the conditions up to snuff I’d guess the winning score would be in the -25 range. It’s not a hard track even from the tippy tips.

Agree that that’s just posturing from the mayor.

Plus, they played the Houston Open this year with NO SPONSOR because Shell pulled out last year. I

don't see how this tournament survives unless someone steps up to sponsor it. Don't think the tour is

gonna pick up the tab for it again.

the tour didn't pick up the tab.....and as far as the other poster who think the SA course is a better venue then GCOH in regards to masters prep that is a ridiculous statement. GCOH is very similar to Augusta in regards to layout, conditions, etc....SA has hardly anything in common to get the players prepared for the Masters. You can say green speed, but any course can get that. Its hard to replicate the tight lies off the fairway at the SA course considering once you get off the fairway you fall in a canyon.

Plus, they played the Houston Open this year with NO SPONSOR because Shell pulled out last year. I

don't see how this tournament survives unless someone steps up to sponsor it. Don't think the tour is

the tour didn't pick up the tab.....and as far as the other poster who think the SA course is a better venue then GCOH in regards to masters prep that is a ridiculous statement. GCOH is very similar to Augusta in regards to layout, conditions, etc....SA has hardly anything in common to get the players prepared for the Masters. You can say green speed, but any course can get that. Its hard to replicate the tight lies off the fairway at the SA course considering once you get off the fairway you fall in a canyon.

Yeah there's no way. I've played both and been to Augusta. GC of Houston has the same stuff. Maybe not the greens, but the grass and the layout to a degree are similar.

Who picked up the tab?

And Jimmy Walker was one who said the greens at San Antonio are much more like Augusta. I didn't say

anything about green speed. I said the GREENS, which is to include the green complexes(surrounds) as well.

Who picked up the tab?

And Jimmy Walker was one who said the greens at San Antonio are much more like Augusta. I didn't say

anything about green speed. I said the GREENS, which is to include the green complexes(surrounds) as well.

The HGA

Is there even going to be a Houston Open going forward? Y'all know that date slot went to the Texas Open

starting next year...........and the players are happy about it. They say the greens at the AT&T Oaks course

at TPC San Antonio are much more like Augusta than the greens at the GC of Houston.

And Valero has inked a 10 year extension and so now they get rewarded with a better date the week before

the Master's. Expecting an even better field next year.

I recall JB Holmes saying that he doesn’t see a lot of guys that play in Houston before the Masters making the trip to San Antonio next year.

Lol I played memorial last week.

The thought of it hosting a tour event is hilarious.

Would require millions in upgrades to meet the conditioning standards of the tour, to say nothing of reducing the foot traffic it gets that beat it to hell.

Plus even if you got the conditions up to snuff I'd guess the winning score would be in the -25 range. It's not a hard track even from the tippy tips.

Agree that that's just posturing from the mayor.

Memorial Park has a special place in Houston golf history, but I totally agree that this facility is no where near up to par to host a PGA Tour Event, barely even a junior major. Great layout, but time has passed it by, conditions are mediocre at best, and way too much traffic as stated above. There are so many great facilities in the Houston area that could host. The idea of it being inside the city limits is great, but there would need to be some major major renovations that would take years to preform. Growing up in the Houston area I hope they get this sorted out and the tournament has a strong future.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]WITB[/b][/font][/size]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=3]TBD[/size][/font]

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-Jim-Crane-find-Houston-Open-sponsorship-12881138.php?ipid=hpctp#photo-15489515

Astros owner Jim Crane admits he's now front and center in efforts to secure a sound financial future for the Houston Open golf tournament, which was played this spring without a title sponsor – Shell pulled out in 2017 following a 26-year run – and faces the prospect of being dropped from the PGA Tour calendar if it can't find major backing soon.

Multiple sources, all requesting anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the matter publicly, have told the Chronicle that the Tour has given Houston until early-mid June to pull together a viable sponsorship package that figures to cost at least $12 million annually, much of that going toward ad buys during the NBC telecasts. Crane wouldn't confirm the deadline, saying only that it's in all parties' best interests "that something gets resolved soon ... July at the latest."

The Tour has been holding off announcing its revamped 2019 schedule in large part because of sponsorship uncertainties with tournaments in Washington, D.C., Houston and Fort Worth (The latter locked up Charles Schwab & Co., through 2022 last week). The next Houston Open would be held in either mid-May, possibly as a lead-in to the PGA Championship that's moving to late spring from its traditional August dates, or June 6-9 prior to the U.S. Open.

Crane also declined to say definitively whether he would go forward on his own, branding the tournament with the name of one of the companies he controls, or in concert with the Houston Golf Association. The HGA has operated the tournament since both were founded in 1946. He said of the HGA, "They've done this for a long time" but added that his full-throttle commitment requires that he "calls the shots . . . I know a lot of people. I think I can raise money."

A self-made billionaire from the St. Louis area who founded his first Houston company in 1984 with a $10,000 loan, Crane is the chief executive of Crane Capital Group. He's also the majority shareholder of Crane Worldwide Logistics and Crane Freight & Shipping. He has owned The Floridian golf club in Palm Bay, Florida, since 2011, buying it the same day Major League Baseball approved his purchase of the now World Series champion Astros.

Although the HGA initially sought him out as a possible title sponsor, Crane said he remains involved in discussions "only because a deal hasn't gotten done." The nature of his shipping companies, charged with industrial components globally, make them unlikely to benefit much from expensive exposure on television.

"This is a big golf town and the tournament is important to Houston," he said. "It's been here a long time. It would be bad for the town and bad for golf if we lost it. My only interest is in helping save the tournament."

The HGA has long funded multiple charities with revenues from the Houston Open. Crane suggested the Astros Foundation would become the primary beneficiary if he takes control. But he also sits on the board of the First Tee Foundation, an expansive life-skills-through-golf program for at-risk area children that the HGA has endowed at a significant level, believed to be in the neighborhood of $1 million annually.

There are those with ties to the HGA, also speaking on the condition of anonymity, who think Crane is working against the organization's efforts to secure a sponsorship in order to take control of the tournament for personal gain or reasons of ego. He responded, "I have no agenda except to keep raising money for charity. I'm not going to personally make a nickel. The only thing we'd use (profits) for is the foundation."

Steve Timms, president/CEO of the HGA and Houston Open's tournament director, wouldn't comment on Crane's potential involvement. But he did say, "The HGA welcomes anyone's efforts to help (secure sponsorship) and help us keep doing all the things we do through golf in the community."

While Crane doesn't have any formal ties to the PGA Tour, The Floridian's course has become a popular destination for a number of Florida-based pros. Both Rickie Fowler and Dustin Johnson are regular visitors and have become his personal friends. Also, he said he recently played a round there with Tour commissioner Jay Monahan.

"The PGA has been very supportive. There's been no push-back," Crane said. "And I just talked to the president of NBC (which broadcasts the tournament). He loves the Houston Open. He wants to help keep it here."

The tournament has been at the Golf Club of Houston, located in the master-planned community of Fallbrook near the intersection of the Eastex Freeway and Sam Houston Parkway, since 2003. But the course's owner, Escalante Golf, Inc., announced last week that it was no longer interested in hosting. Crane said he strongly supports Houston mayor Sylvester Turner's efforts to return the Houston Open to Houston proper, specifically the city-owned course in Memorial Park where it was held in 1947 and from 1951 through 1963.

The modern track, which received a major facelift in the mid-1990s, is a little shorter than the Golf Club of Houston's Tournament Course – 7,164 yards to just under 7,500 yards – but the facilities and amenities would need significant upgrades to bring it up to current PGA Tour standards.

"It's going to take some work and some time, but I think it's doable," Crane said, citing his Floridian course as an example. "Personally, I've renovated a golf course that was average and got it to where it's world-class. If you get the right people involved, it can be done. You've got the space there, enough land. And you can get (fans) in and out."

Crane also mentioned the Kinder Foundation's recent pledge of $70 million to help fast-track a major restoration of Memorial Park in its entirety. Because of the huge donation, the largest grant ever to a local park, a revised timetable will be announced by the city soon. The original estimate to complete the work was 10 years.

"I've seen the plan," he said. "I think it's fabulous. (Holding the tournament there) would be just another feather in the cap for the city of Houston."