2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

NFL Draft 2018 / NFL off-season 2018

touch

One thing is certain. We can all agree Cleveland effed up again. Could have traded down and gotten that cb or paired Chubbs up or gotten mayfield with 4th pick.

My Bucs did good. Can't wait for today's all pro line up.

That's what I didn't understand either. I'm fine with them taking Mayfield at 1 if that's the guy they wanted. But seems odd they couldn't get someone to trade up a few spots to #4 and still get Ward anyway. I suppose if no one wanted to trade up and that was the guy they wanted, it's not horrible, but definitely early.

It's the BROWNS! They're like the farm system for the NFL!

Mayfield would still be there at 4. Ward would still have been there if they traded back. They could have stocked up with so many draft picks had they just traded down a couple spots. It's the browns! hahaha

Man, many of you arm chair GM's seem to have missed your calling. Let the guys play a snap before calling them out. We all can assume they would be there later but we all know what can happen when you assume. I'm all aboard the Mayfield train and having a shutdown corner like Denzel is something desperately needed. #InDorseyWeTrust

why can't we discuss about this? It's not about being an arm chair GM; the fact is they could have gotten better value if they traded down and still got their guy. A team that's 1-35 in the last 2 seasons making these moves is the reason why they are 1-35!

No one wanted Mayfield in the top 5 outside of the browns and picking a cb that high since charles woodson? this guy better be the next charles woodson cuz chubbs is studly.

I think his point of being an armchair GM is that you're making the assumptions that they were getting acceptable offers to trade back, that Mayfield would have been there at 4, that Ward would have been there (at whatever pick they moved back to), etc. If they got the players they wanted, regardless of whether they were overvalued, it doesn't matter where they picked them. If you trade back, you risk losing any or all of the guys you wanted because you can't control what other teams do.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss the old days when I would hunker down Sat. and Sun. and gain ten pounds watching draft DURING THE DAY.

haha, when I was in grad school over a decade ago, my roommate(the biggest BILLS fan of all time) would sit there with a case each of blue ribbon

I didn't even know how to drink half a case but I sat there and watch him drank his case and half of mine; dude was 6'5 and 250, ex football player in college. Probably gained 20 lbs that day sitting there wondering what the bills would do.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

The problem with the "Browns shoulda traded down!" theory is that I don't think anybody particularly wanted to trade up. There was enough depth in the draft that most teams could get what they wanted/needed without making the trade.

Who would have traded up for the #1 or #4 picks?

that's why they should have smoked screen certain teams; the jets wanted darnold and would pay a price to secure the first pick; and they could have entice to broncos to move up a slot. the browns do what the browns always do. they couldn't sell, buy or manage. hahahaha

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

One thing is certain. We can all agree Cleveland effed up again. Could have traded down and gotten that cb or paired Chubbs up or gotten mayfield with 4th pick.

That's what I didn't understand either. I'm fine with them taking Mayfield at 1 if that's the guy they wanted. But seems odd they couldn't get someone to trade up a few spots to #4 and still get Ward anyway. I suppose if no one wanted to trade up and that was the guy they wanted, it's not horrible, but definitely early.

Mayfield would still be there at 4. Ward would still have been there if they traded back. They could have stocked up with so many draft picks had they just traded down a couple spots. It's the browns! hahaha

Man, many of you arm chair GM's seem to have missed your calling. Let the guys play a snap before calling them out. We all can assume they would be there later but we all know what can happen when you assume. I'm all aboard the Mayfield train and having a shutdown corner like Denzel is something desperately needed. #InDorseyWeTrust

why can't we discuss about this? It's not about being an arm chair GM; the fact is they could have gotten better value if they traded down and still got their guy. A team that's 1-35 in the last 2 seasons making these moves is the reason why they are 1-35!

No one wanted Mayfield in the top 5 outside of the browns and picking a cb that high since charles woodson? this guy better be the next charles woodson cuz chubbs is studly.

Of course we can discuss it, but assuming they could've traded back and gotten their guys doesn't make sense to me. If the guys you want are there when you pick, pick them! Don't trade back and assume they'll be there. I believe Ward can be just as studly as Chubb. Being a suffering Browns fan for 39 years, the CB position has been dreadful, even when we had Haden. Obviously, only time will tell. John Dorsey has done a great job since he took over. No reason for me to think otherwise.

Hahaha, man I knew I hit a trigger with a browns fan. Sorry my man; I find no fun in your suffering. But your team could use so much depth. I'm actually rooting for them to turn it around.

and I hope ward turns out well for you. He feels like a homer reached pick IMHO. Undersized and only a season of highlights so we won't know how durable he will be.

chubb is more reliable long term and the browns let that one slip away. just imagine garrett and chubb for a decade.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Hahaha, man I knew I hit a trigger with a browns fan. Sorry my man; I find no fun in your suffering. But your team could use so much depth. I'm actually rooting for them to turn it around.

and I hope ward turns out well for you. He feels like a homer reached pick IMHO. Undersized and only a season of highlights so we won't know how durable he will be.

chubb is more reliable long term and the browns let that one slip away. just imagine garrett and chubb for a decade.

Nah, definitely not a trigger. My buddies always ask why I don't get upset when people rag on the Browns. I've pretty much heard every insult about the city and origination from the Browns, Indians, and Cavs. Although I do still laugh at some of the jokes, funny stuff.

Ward may turn out to be the next Charles Woodson, or he could be the next Justin Gilbert. But if Ward was who Dorsey wanted, all good here. Day 1 starter. (Yes, i'm aware Chubb would be too)

How do we know Chubb will be more reliable than Ward, speculation.

Nah, definitely not a trigger. My buddies always ask why I don't get upset when people rag on the Browns. I've pretty much heard every insult about the city and origination from the Browns, Indians, and Cavs. Although I do still laugh at some of the jokes, funny stuff.

Ward may turn out to be the next Charles Woodson, or he could be the next Justin Gilbert. But if Ward was who Dorsey wanted, all good here. Day 1 starter. (Yes, i'm aware Chubb would be too)

So post free agency and 1st round of the draft, what are fan's expectations for this year? I could see them winning 4-5 games this year.

So post free agency and 1st round of the draft, what are fan's expectations for this year? I could see them winning 4-5 games this year.

This fan would be ecstatic for 4-5 games. We were in quite a few games near the end but horrible play calling and lack of execution derailed any chance of a W. I'll be glad when Hue (Whens he jumping in the lake) is gone next year and Haley takes over. A lot of hometown guys say 8 wins is possible, Noway nohow with Hue coaching. I think 6 wins is the ceiling with this roster and coaching staff.

This fan would be ecstatic for 4-5 games. We were in quite a few games near the end but horrible play calling and lack of execution derailed any chance of a W. I'll be glad when Hue (Whens he jumping in the lake) is gone next year and Haley takes over. A lot of hometown guys say 8 wins is possible, Noway nohow with Hue coaching. I think 6 wins is the ceiling with this roster and coaching staff.

That offense will be greatly improved plus Haley calling plays. Defense should be better, but still pretty young and no depth. With one of the easier schedules, I think you'll be alright (relatively speaking). I don't see 8 wins, but wouldn't be shocked if they got to 6.

That offense will be greatly improved plus Haley calling plays. Defense should be better, but still pretty young and no depth. With one of the easier schedules, I think you'll be alright (relatively speaking). I don't see 8 wins, but wouldn't be shocked if they got to 6.

According to the NFL's last years winning percentage, they have the 5th toughest schedule.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-strength-of-schedule-texans-have-it-easiest-packers-face-roughest-ride/

Don't the brown's have the most picks in the top 3 rounds since the 1990s? I don't think they need more picks, they need talent. Most people don't have a problem with the Mayfield pick, and arguing the value of the top cb vs the top pass rusher (after they already took a pass rusher with the #1 pick the prior year) seems like splitting hairs to me.

Tell the cowboys of the 90s that more picks don't matter;

the tried and true formula in the NFL is quality of depth; how'd you explain eagles winning with that pass rush and a back up qb.

Not arguing with Mayfield as the pick but rather where he went. He is no no.1 pick. And Ward is bad value.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

These comments during draft time are always hilarious. You have ZERO proof that whatever target would still be there if they traded back, and ZERO proof that there was a chance for them to trade back. If a guy is who you want, take them and move on. It takes two to trade, and if you either don't find a partner or deal you want that provides more value than who you want to take, select your guy and move on. You can't just say, oh they should have smoke screened them and tricked them into it as if thats 100% effective, or not what they attempted……thats literally one of the most ridiculous things Ive heard.

Mayfield was their guy, and they made sure and took him at 1. There was also plenty of buzz that Ward was creeping into the top 5 so its not as if taking the best corner of the class who was seen as a top 10 pick already if not 5, is some horrid value at 4. Mcloughan is a pretty damn good evaluator and has always been a big proponent of a stud at each level (which could explain why they skipped Chubb and went top corner). Im going to go ahead and assume he knows way more about the process and evaluation then some amateur average joe.

I also don't think you watch much football. Dorsey, Brown and now Mcloughan have done a really good job at stockpiling picks (something you are ranting about them not doing) 6 in the top 120 this year, and assembling a quality young core with a good coaching staff. They will be much improved this year, and I look for them to take a big step with some stability at QB.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

the tried and true formula in the NFL is quality of depth; how'd you explain eagles winning with that pass rush and a back up qb.

Not arguing with Mayfield as the pick but rather where he went. He is no no.1 pick. And Ward is bad value.

More picks don't matter at all. We see that all the time, be it the Browns, Rams (RG3 trade), Redskins (Ricky Williams trade), my niners under Baalke. If you aren't hitting on any of your picks it doesn't matter how many you have. Teams like the Steelers or Pats, consistently don't have as many picks as others and still have a perennial winning team. The key is to hit on the picks you have, regardless of how many.

Its not the 90s anymore and teams are built with a mix of draft hits and FA hauls. Eagles last year were a team built through a mix of heavy FA classes/trades and some timely draft hits. Foles, Jeffrey, Torrey Smith, Chris Long, Bradham, Jernigan, Blount, Malcolm Jenkins, Brandon Brooks, Ajayi, Barwin, Darby all were big time impact guys, and didn't come via draft.

Also assessing draft value 2 seconds after a guy was picked is pointless. If Ward becomes a lockdown corner, and Mayfield becomes a player behind center, nobody cares where they are picked. If they bust out, hindsight is 20/20 and thats falls on scouting and the player.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

I used to get all hyped for the draft, knew every player likely to be taken in the first few rounds. Then I realized what a complete waste it is as more than 50% of 1st rounders do not live up to their hype potential or whatever you want to call it. At the end of the day none of the taking heads or opinions matter until the players get on the field and play. Often times it is the unsexy pics that prove to be the best. The G/T/C MLB or DT taken in the first that turn out to be the real winners while the flashy QB WR DB barely make it through their rookie contracts before being released traded etc.

IMO the complete over coverage of the draft with networks having 4-6 person panels of talking heads spouting off ridiculous lines like "great bloodlines" high motor, combine hero, grinder, really ruined it.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

More picks don't matter at all. We see that all the time, be it the Browns, Rams (RG3 trade), Redskins (Ricky Williams trade), my niners under Baalke. If you aren't hitting on any of your picks it doesn't matter how many you have. Teams like the Steelers or Pats, consistently don't have as many picks as others and still have a perennial winning team. The key is to hit on the picks you have, regardless of how many.

Its not the 90s anymore and teams are built with a mix of draft hits and FA hauls. Eagles last year were a team built through a mix of heavy FA classes/trades and some timely draft hits. Foles, Jeffrey, Torrey Smith, Chris Long, Bradham, Jernigan, Blount, Malcolm Jenkins, Brandon Brooks, Ajayi, Barwin, Darby all were big time impact guys, and didn't come via draft.

Also assessing draft value 2 seconds after a guy was picked is pointless. If Ward becomes a lockdown corner, and Mayfield becomes a player behind center, nobody cares where they are picked. If they bust out, hindsight is 20/20 and thats falls on scouting and the player.

New name Bubbathesavagegump?

I don’t hate the Browns picks at all, they got who they think is the best QB and they picked a player at 4 that everyone expected to be a top 10 pick. Ward is a bigger need then Chubb. Browns were absolutely torched last year through the air.

I like the Niners moving up to get Pettis, he looks like a game changer type playmaker in special teams.

New name Bubbathesavagegump?

I don’t hate the Browns picks at all, they got who they think is the best QB and they picked a player at 4 that everyone expected to be a top 10 pick. Ward is a bigger need then Chubb. Browns were absolutely torched last year through the air.

I like the Niners moving up to get Pettis, he looks like a game changer type playmaker in special teams.

Agreed, Browns had a good draft on paper. They are quietly assembling a pretty stacked young core and it'll click with QB stability which in Tyrod they'll get. They don't have to force Mayfield in there, and can let him learn and figure some things out first. They'll be fine, and honestly if Mayfield was 3 inches taller…he'd have been the consensus #1 anyway. Darnold has so many flaws on tape but gets bailed out because he's a prototype size dude. Any of the Manziel comparisons are just heinously lazy as well, they aren't even close to the same player what so ever.

As for the Niners, its clear that ShannyLynch just target their guys. Im a little concerned that they are way too aggressive in that and don't really seem to buy into BPA, and go all out to get their guy, but last year it worked out so I have trust. Pettis I like a lot, and he's a much better receiver than initially thought so his return game will add a really needed aspect. Also DJ Reed I think was a nice pick, dudes a sharp slot corner and also a good return man (him and Pettis were #1 and 2 I believe last year). Other than that I liked Fred Warner, and then Mcfadden we got as a UDFA. They seem content with the in house pass rush options….so we shall see how that works out.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

Happy with Denver, thought they did a solid job, Chubb sliding was really nice and I loved Sutton at SMU, I kinda wanted them to trade back into the second and grab Guice but I get why they didn't. I do think Royce will be better than people think and I think the Oregon stigma kinda dulled his projections so I'm excited to see him and Booker in the backfield

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Why take a short qb?

Rofl.

Why take a guy who cant ever be remotely resembling a drop back qb?

The guy will take massive shots trying to prove himself worthy and, God forbid, end up like RG 3.

Shocking the stupidity of people who run these companies.

??? Because no decent QB has ever been 6'1" or shorter? Brees and Wilson might as well just retire. Wasting their time even trying.

DA Bears aced this draft. I just wished they would have traded back and accrued capital. Hard to argue with Roquan Smith pick as he will be a mainstay for 10 years in the middle of the defense. Daniels will be a G or C and let Whitehair go back to guard. Hopefully Long comes back healthy and they have a good interior. Their issue is the OT's now with Massie and Leno, two very average to below average OT's IMO. Like the WR additions, but we certainly need Mitchell to produce big time.

DA Bears aced this draft. I just wished they would have traded back and accrued capital. Hard to argue with Roquan Smith pick as he will be a mainstay for 10 years in the middle of the defense. Daniels will be a G or C and let Whitehair go back to guard. Hopefully Long comes back healthy and they have a good interior. Their issue is the OT's now with Massie and Leno, two very average to below average OT's IMO. Like the WR additions, but we certainly need Mitchell to produce big time.

You are not at all concerned with Smith's size? I think he can be a great MIKE Linebacker. But he needs people in front of him to take on blocks and let him run around and make tackles.

Why take a short qb?

Rofl.

Why take a guy who cant ever be remotely resembling a drop back qb?

The guy will take massive shots trying to prove himself worthy and, God forbid, end up like RG 3.

Shocking the stupidity of people who run these companies.

Sounds like a lot of teams want this short, no good qb.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23374606/agent-says-new-england-patriots-discussed-trading-draft-baker-mayfield