2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Played my first round today with the Black. First impression are wow!

I had my best driving day, maybe ever. I’ve been playing for since I was about 12 and I’m now in my 40s.

I’m not a bomber by any means. My driver is usually a boring, relatively low flight that goes on average about 260. I hit my irons very high, but my driver doesn’t launch high like I’d like.

Today was a different story. I was hitting high launching balls that stayed in the air longer than normal. It was blowing pretty stiff and the ball held its line well off the driver in the air.

I played on my home course and hit it a few places I haven’t hit it since my early 20s.

The ball has that nice soft feel that I like in my ball, while not feeling like a marshmallow.

Off my irons it continues it’s high flight and again held its line in a stiff crosswind. I’ve never had much of an issue getting most balls to hold greens and the Black checked up well on firm, fast greens.

I didn’t have my best putting day, but I doubt that had anything to do with the ball, which felt no different than a Prov1 off the putter.,

I originally ordered the Reds, but was sent the Blacks accidentally by Snell.

I’m curious to try the Red, but I can’t see it being any better than what I experienced today.

Great golf ball for me.

Played my first round today with the Black. First impression are wow!

I had my best driving day, maybe ever. I've been playing for since I was about 12 and I'm now in my 40s.

I'm not a bomber by any means. My driver is usually a boring, relatively low flight that goes on average about 260. I hit my irons very high, but my driver doesn't launch high like I'd like.

Today was a different story. I was hitting high launching balls that stayed in the air longer than normal. It was blowing pretty stiff and the ball held its line well off the driver in the air.

I played on my home course and hit it a few places I haven't hit it since my early 20s.

The ball has that nice soft feel that I like in my ball, while not feeling like a marshmallow.

Off my irons it continues it's high flight and again held its line in a stiff crosswind. I've never had much of an issue getting most balls to hold greens and the Black checked up well on firm, fast greens.

I didn't have my best putting day, but I doubt that had anything to do with the ball, which felt no different than a Prov1 off the putter.,

I originally ordered the Reds, but was sent the Blacks accidentally by Snell.

I'm curious to try the Red, but I can't see it being any better than what I experienced today.

Great golf ball for me.

Thank you for such a quick review. Many of us will look forward to your experience with Red.

Second round update with both balls.

After a less than stellar ball-striking round earlier in the week for both the wife and I, where we were both less than impressed with either ball, we got another round in this morning in perfect conditions with both of us hitting the ball better today. We both went back and forth hitting both the Red and Black on different holes on the front nine.

With the driver, the wife did not hit either ball as far as she hits the Pro V1X. Irons were about the same but the Black did not stop well at all on shots into the green. The Red definitely stopped better for her and about as good as the X. She stuck with the Red for the entire back nine as she liked it much better. She will continue to test it even though she is pretty convinced that it is shorter the Pro V1X but has completely eliminated the Black.

For me, with the driver, the Black was easily 5-10 yards shorter than the Pro V1X but the Red was about the same as the Pro V1X. I hit the irons pretty much the same distance with with all 3 balls and all 3 played pretty similar around the green. I definitely liked the feel of the Red much better than the Black as it felt more like the V1X. I did hit the Black exclusively on the back nine just to nail down my thoughts. After doing so, I have pretty much totally eliminated the Black from consideration but will continue to test the Red as it is pretty much the same ball as the Pro V1X in my opinion.

I’ve determined the Reds are not good balls......

They don’t float!!!

My red today joined the original one that I had so many holes on. They are resting together at the bottom of the same lake!

That was decent of you to lay them both to rest together.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

After a less than stellar ball-striking round earlier in the week for both the wife and I, where we were both less than impressed with either ball, we got another round in this morning in perfect conditions with both of us hitting the ball better today. We both went back and forth hitting both the Red and Black on different holes on the front nine.

With the driver, the wife did not hit either ball as far as she hits the Pro V1X. Irons were about the same but the Black did not stop well at all on shots into the green. The Red definitely stopped better for her and about as good as the X. She stuck with the Red for the entire back nine as she liked it much better. She will continue to test it even though she is pretty convinced that it is shorter the Pro V1X but has completely eliminated the Black.

For me, with the driver, the Black was easily 5-10 yards shorter than the Pro V1X but the Red was about the same as the Pro V1X. I hit the irons pretty much the same distance with with all 3 balls and all 3 played pretty similar around the green. I definitely liked the feel of the Red much better than the Black as it felt more like the V1X. I did hit the Black exclusively on the back nine just to nail down my thoughts. After doing so, I have pretty much totally eliminated the Black from consideration but will continue to test the Red as it is pretty much the same ball as the Pro V1X in my opinion.

Seems like one of the few negative reviews in this thread. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as it's useful having different opinions come up in the discussion.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Seems like one of the few negative reviews in this thread. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as it's useful having different opinions come up in the discussion.

Not completely negative.

I've hit just about every premium ball there is in the past several years and I will have to say that I do think the the Red is one of the better balls that I have hit. If I wasn't using the Pro V1X, I don't know that the Red wouldn't be the ball I would use.

Not completely negative.

I've hit just about every premium ball there is in the past several years and I will have to say that I do think the the Red is one of the better balls that I have hit. If I wasn't using the Pro V1X, I don't know that it wouldn't be the ball I would use.

Your review validates the design of Red comparable to V1x. Though I have not tried new versions, I am more and more convinced to keep Black in my bag.

Not completely negative.

I've hit just about every premium ball there is in the past several years and I will have to say that I do think the the Red is one of the better balls that I have hit. If I wasn't using the Pro V1X, I don't know that it wouldn't be the ball I would use.

Your review validates the design of Red comparable to V1x. Though I have not tried new versions, I am more and more convinced to keep Black in my bag.

For me at least today, I played the black exclusively. All around the black was very close to the current Pro V1, but it didn't seem to stop as fast the Pro V1 with the short irons (not a huge difference at all,but was slightly surprised when struck well it didn't grab, maybe it's where it landed on the green, or maybe it just doesn't spin enough for my game, but definitely not giving it up, just need more time). When I initially tried it out the greens weren't cut and it stopped the same as Pro V1 (but I haven't played the Pro V1 since they finally cut the greens). Initially I wasn't a fan of the Red, but after today definitely looking forward to trying the Red again, as well as a head to head with the Black and Pro V1.

Regardless they are good, but maybe I just need change where I land it a touch (basically just learn the constant characteristics of each ball)

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I was finally able to play my first round of the season. The course was pretty wet as it rained pretty much all day yesterday and this morning. The course was pretty empty so I was able to play both the black and red on most holes. I was also using new irons and wedges so more testing will definitely have to be done.

I was more consistent with the black off the tee. It seemed like I was able to control my fade more. Neither ball rolled out more than 2 or 3 yards when hitting long irons into the green but it was damp so that likely had some effect. It seemed like the reds checked up a little bit more on chips. If I had to choose today I'd go with the black but I'd be happy playing either. I'll definitely be testing both out more.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Callaway Paradym

5 wood: TaylorMade Stealth+

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 4-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Odyssey AI-ONE 7S

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Finally got out today with the Red and Black for short game work. For me, the Red was the clear winner. Excellent feel and great control. Spin was effortless and I was able to easily flight some down into the wind. Not exactly an easy feat for me. The Black was good in the wind as well, but it just didn't stop like the Red. I feel like I would have to adjust my shots to fit the Black, rather than the other way around.

I can't see a ball that cost $10-15 more a dozen being any better than the MTB Red in the short game.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

Finally got out today with the Red and Black for short game work. For me, the Red was the clear winner. Excellent feel and great control. Spin was effortless and I was able to easily flight some down into the wind. Not exactly an easy feat for me. The Black was good in the wind as well, but it just didn't stop like the Red. I feel like I would have to adjust my shots to fit the Black, rather than the other way around.

I can't see a ball that cost $10-15 more a dozen being any better than the MTB Red in the short game.

Does the Red feel mushy mid firm or firm?

The Red is starting to take the top spot purely on superstition. Shot -1 on the front today with the Red (and missed a 6” rake-in putt). Switched to Black at the turn and birdied 10. Went +6 the remaining 7 holes.

Reality is it had nothing to do with the ball or ball change. Both are fantastic. The differences are very subtle. But, when I start to see low scores with a particular ball, however, it starts to get hard to play anything else. The Red is rapidly becoming that ball.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Definitely not mushy. Everybody has a different opinion of what is considered firm or mid firm so there is no way to answer your question.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Definitely not mushy, not firm. For me, the feel was excellent.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

4 rounds played this weekend with Reds.

A rainy day with a wet course, then a beautiful day, then a windy day.

Two different courses, different greens.

All in all, the Reds continue to impress. No regrets settling on the Reds. I will say that some days it seems like the ball always stops dead in its tracks, other days - minimal rollout...surely due to the course conditions and my swing. Bottom line = very predictable / controllable, really great putting ball - made some serious bombs.

I had some of my longest drives and fairway woods shots in a long time - the ball is no slouch in any department.

My brother who is a long time ProV1 player is getting tired of the $50 per dozen thing, tried some Reds and Blacks. He really loved both balls, preferred Red...but will test some more.

Funny side commentary = my other brothers were like "what the hell kind of ball is that"? After a round or two, they were impressed.

We played some scrambles and took some crazy shots - we started yelling at the ball to carry when we were trying to hit bomber drives "SCHNELL...SCHNELL"

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

4 rounds played this weekend with Reds.

A rainy day with a wet course, then a beautiful day, then a windy day.

Two different courses, different greens.

All in all, the Reds continue to impress. No regrets settling on the Reds. I will say that some days it seems like the ball always stops dead in its tracks, other days - minimal rollout...surely due to the course conditions and my swing. Bottom line = very predictable / controllable, really great putting ball - made some serious bombs.

I had some of my longest drives and fairway woods shots in a long time - the ball is no slouch in any department.

My brother who is a long time ProV1 player is getting tired of the $50 per dozen thing, tried some Reds and Blacks. He really loved both balls, preferred Red...but will test some more.

Funny side commentary = my other brothers were like "what the hell kind of ball is that"? After a round or two, they were impressed.

We played some scrambles and took some crazy shots - we started yelling at the ball to carry when we were trying to hit bomber drives "SCHNELL...SCHNELL"

haha.. love it... thanks for feedback and the help to spread the word.. much appreciated...

I've been playing the original MTB's all season so far and I love the ball. It's definitely as good as anything on the premium market and for me, better in the wind for sure.

I still need to get through a dozen and a half before I move to this years versions for testing.

Last weekend I played on some really fast firm greens and like others say, it just basically stops where I hit it. No radical backspin on full wedges. Just needed some more action on the mid to longer irons.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Finally had a chance to play the Reds today.

Calm conditions and firm greens.

The ball feels firmer than the Black and the cover looks “cheaper”. I typically play a soft ball and like the feeling of compressing the ball, especially off the driver.

Once again as with the Black, I was hitting high “bombs” with my driver. I’m usually around the 240-250 range and today I hit a few in 275 range. The Red seemed a little straighter off the driver than the Black and it held its line well.

On approach shots the Red was typically a couple feet in front of its ball mark, so it seemed to spin more off my irons into some really firm greens.

On pitches it felt hotter off wedges and rolled out quit a bit. That may have just been due to the firm greens.

Since I normally play a softer ball, the Red felt a little harder coming off my putter and it seemed like I needed to putt it firmer to get it to the hole than the Black.

I also hit the Black today on a few holes with my driver to see if there was any major difference in distance. Both balls seemed about the same as far as distance off the driver.

Since I prefer a softer cover and feel, the Black maybe my ball of choice. But it’s not a knock on the Red, just what I prefer in feel.

So while I will continue to test both (have two dozen of each), I benibe im leaning towards the Black, but I don’t know yet. What I do know is that Snell will be my new ball going forward.

Great customer service, a premium ball that performs, all at a good price.

Your review has helped me in my choice. I want more spin around the greens, but prefer a softer feel, so sounds like Black should be my choice?!

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Your review has helped me in my choice. I want more spin around the greens, but prefer a softer feel, so sounds like Black should be my choice?!

The greens I played yesterday were really firm. The just had their club championship and we haven’t had much rain. So it was hard to judge just how the Red spun off pitch shots. I can say that on approach shots the Red spun back on full wedge shots and the Black stopped right near its ball mark.

Tomorrow I’m going to play a different course with the Red. It’s the same course I played for my Black review.

I don’t want to pick a ball after just one round with each ball, but I’m leaning towards to Black for the feel off the driver and putter.

Agree on your cover thoughts (white vs white only). The Black has a truly premium look/feel that just looks great coming out of the box. Red has a TPU cover so looks different, but the true beauty of the Red is the yellow option. Really vibrant and looks awesome on ground, in air, and on the green.

Will look forward to hear your thoughts as you amass more rounds with the two. I particularly love putting with the Red.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1