I need help with Putting.....

Ive got most of the other parts of my game figured out except my putting. Could have had the best round of my life just the second time out this year if I could putt.

Here's the Deal:

When I Think I am aimed straight at hole, I am actually Aimed WAY left. I end up missing all putts right. I never Pull a putt always push.

This happens regardless of equipment. When I aim straight at hole, I feel like I have to bring the putter way outside / in or I will push it right even more.

I discovered when I get my hands higher and have the toe more down than up my aim improves a bit.

My putting stroke is ok and I used to be really a good putter but now I don't even know how to aim. I almost feel like my putter is like a draw swing - take it back inside and just push it right.

@@@@@

Looking for somebody to make sense of it and maybe explain why I am aimed so far left when I think I'm straight.

I tried some difference putters today and straight necks helped me line up straighter.

2024 Bag TBD

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best thing to do is get with a teacher and take a few lessons.

I used to have a similar problem, and I cured it by throwing down a big legal text on the floor and railing the edge of it with the heel of my putter. (It was better than actually reading the thing!)

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

A gate trainer may help you but it sounds like you might have a visual issue. Have you tried putting a line on your ball and aiming from behind the ball directly down the target line, then setting your putter square to that line no matter what your eyes tell when you step up to putt? Does moving your eyes from inside the line, to over the ball, to outside of the line make a big difference in how you see the target line? Many people see a big difference, some not so much. It would probably be beneficial to see a putting coach or maybe book a session on a Sam Putt Lab or a Quintic near you.

Find a better eyedoc KG!

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing here! In a tournament yesterday my partner said I aimed 1’/2’ left consistently on 10’ putts and it got worse the longer the putt. I did unconsciously self correct some In the forward stroke. When he lined me up I thought I was well right of the target but could putt well. I have heard this before tried many tips and putters with limited success. My eyes are over the ball, never thought about moving my eyes outside or inside the line. Must be a vision thing.

• 3 weeks later...

LOl.. i have the same issue ... and even worse i am now flipping the face and pulling some left... Its causing me to not even want to play... Supposed to play 18 this afternoon.. and im actually relieved its raining ... Pretty depressed currently ... Only hobby i have outside of kids sports .. I have a practice green outside my work , so i literally putt at very least an hour a day . I am to the point i cant make a 10 footer on a putt i can read in the dark . Once you lose confidence its very hard to get back. Ive been this bad before and got out of it going left hand low. That doesnt help this time. So im at a loss

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Ive got most of the other parts of my game figured out except my putting. Could have had the best round of my life just the second time out this year if I could putt.

Here's the Deal:

When I Think I am aimed straight at hole, I am actually Aimed WAY left. I end up missing all putts right. I never Pull a putt always push.

This happens regardless of equipment. When I aim straight at hole, I feel like I have to bring the putter way outside / in or I will push it right even more.

I discovered when I get my hands higher and have the toe more down than up my aim improves a bit.

My putting stroke is ok and I used to be really a good putter but now I don't even know how to aim. I almost feel like my putter is like a draw swing - take it back inside and just push it right.

@@@@@

Looking for somebody to make sense of it and maybe explain why I am aimed so far left when I think I'm straight.

I tried some difference putters today and straight necks helped me line up straighter.

Flatstick Academy... Can't recommend that site enough.

So for the aiming problem I had a similar deal. I have a lazy eye and wear a contact in it so I can see okay but depth perception is lacking I feel like. With that said I am very right eye dominant and I have to take that into account when I'm putting. Flatstick has a few videos on exactly that issue that were extremely helpful in my SEEING the line. Learn the vectors your neck and head can move on, then set up to the ball using his "pencil drill" and adjust until the pencil looks like it's pointing at the hole to you.

It's pretty neat. The pencil drill is very revealing.

Here's the Deal:

@@@@@

I just had a good putting lesson, and the part in bold was essential to me. When my eyes are over the ball, it feels like my hands are higher and the toe is soled. The pro showed me that the putter is actually soled correctly in that position, whereas my old position soled the putter on the heel with the toe slightly up.

Getting your eyes over the ball solves many issues. Do whatever you need to do to make that your habit.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Do you wear glasses and have you recently had a change of lenses or frames?

I replaced my glasses last October and shortly after then broke my leg. When I started playing again I had issues putting, just completely inconsistent, difficulty judging distance and so many 3 putts. Last week I switched back to my previous Rx and its literally night and day, I've gone from 42 + putts down to 32 - 35 the last few rounds.

My "new" frames and lenses were to small for my progressive Rx to be made correctly.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

Funny game, golf. My driver used to be my best club, and my putter was indifferent. Now the opposite is true. My instructor showed me that if I'm not aligned correctly, my body will make all sorts of adjustments to find the target, which usually doesn't end up well.

Before you address the ball, be sure you stand behind the ball, find the line to the target, and an intermediate target along that line to roll the ball over. Trust that line even if it doesn't look right when you address the ball. Rather than swinging the club with my arms, I rock my shoulders like a pendulum to make contact with the ball, and let my arms come along for the ride. Works for me.

Have you gotten your vision checked recently?

Have you ever taken putting lessons from a well known professional?

Are you custom fitted for your putter?

My guess is. No, once or twice, no.

The amount of advice on here will do more harm than good. Odds are your vision needs to be checked then followed by a lengthy lesson on the correct setup/stroke with a change of your current putter spec wise to fit this.

Tomorrow I'm having my annual refresher putting lesson with a respec on my current gamer of 3 years as it feels off. Wasting money on new putter even though it's absolutely necessary seems to be a theme on here ...

LOl.. i have the same issue ... and even worse i am now flipping the face and pulling some left... Its causing me to not even want to play... Supposed to play 18 this afternoon.. and im actually relieved its raining ... Pretty depressed currently ... Only hobby i have outside of kids sports .. I have a practice green outside my work , so i literally putt at very least an hour a day . I am to the point i cant make a 10 footer on a putt i can read in the dark . Once you lose confidence its very hard to get back. Ive been this bad before and got out of it going left hand low. That doesnt help this time. So im at a loss

If its any consolation I'm in the same boat....alot. Gaps in playing/practice time over the years have brought on some nasty swing and putting tendencies. I've worked through the swing and short game stuff pretty well but putting has eluded me. Closet full of Scottys and an assorted Ping/Odyssey, left-hand low, pencil, claw, etc. and no real confidence on the greens. Just need to stick to a putter, a method and repetition to get the mojo back...

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Sub 70 JB Forged 52

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Atlanta StrokeLab 35"

Set up a 10’ putt (can be on your carpet). Put a marker 6” in front of a golf ball. Adjust until they are lined up perfectly straight.

Have someone cover the marker and line up to the hole for a straight putt. Uncover the marker and see if you are lined up. You probably aren’t.

Move your head forward or backward until your eyes see a straight line from ball to marker to hole.

That’s the head position and eyeline you need to drill into until it’s ingrained. Get into your stance with your eyes first, then address with putter. Practice this until you can set up naturally and consistently see the straight line.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Get a yard stick from the store, metal ones are great because of their lower profile. Lay it on the ground and setup a ball on it and stroke putts down that stick. I take it a step further and hit three footers, then I'll find breaking putts and line up at the apex.

That's the cheap way, the better way is to buy a pelz putting tutor. That'll help with alignment real quick

https://eyelinegolf.com/products/putting-alignment-mirror

Terrific putting aid

Bobby Grace (probably others) makes a putter with

a site line on the leading edge and the cavity. When the two

lines look connected, your eyes are directly over the ball.

My .02€

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

• 5 weeks later...