Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

Nice stuff, Dave. Those MPs are stunners.

Thanks

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

you couldve got sky full HD all sports and movies for a year for the cost of the bag and wedges........ ;)

yeah but the mrs won't notice new clubs but I'm pretty sure she'll notice a sky dish and me watching golf all the time! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Got out to practice for the first time in a long time, baby currently 4 days overdue, hit 2 buckets of balls and was really just trying to focus on a nice fluid motion, went in with low expectations and hit the ball very well.

I went out on a couple of holes and I have to say I am slightly concerned with the distance of my new irons, the dispersion is great but I swear I'm hitting them like a good club shorter than I am used to.

Whether this is down to shaft length, with my old irons being about an inch longer, I don't know. Or maybe it was the conditions. Will have to do more on course testing to see.

They are lovely and buttery soft, almost too soft with the chrome soft perhaps a slightly firmer ball would be a better match?

I did however love the 54 around the greens, found it very good to chip with and found the bounce extremely good in the sand, I normally always use a 60 out of the sand but this was very easy out of the firmish moist sand yesterday.

On the hunt for a 50* and 60* still.

Got out to practice for the first time in a long time, baby currently 4 days overdue, hit 2 buckets of balls and was really just trying to focus on a nice fluid motion, went in with low expectations and hit the ball very well.

I went out on a couple of holes and I have to say I am slightly concerned with the distance of my new irons, the dispersion is great but I swear I'm hitting them like a good club shorter than I am used to.

Whether this is down to shaft length, with my old irons being about an inch longer, I don't know. Or maybe it was the conditions. Will have to do more on course testing to see.

They are lovely and buttery soft, almost too soft with the chrome soft perhaps a slightly firmer ball would be a better match?

I did however love the 54 around the greens, found it very good to chip with and found the bounce extremely good in the sand, I normally always use a 60 out of the sand but this was very easy out of the firmish moist sand yesterday.

I had a similar thing when I switched to the MP18s. For me it was that I was hitting it more in the toe. I checked with impact tape, actually painters tape haha. Once I got that straighten out the distance has been spot on. They definetly aren't as forgiving as my last set of MP5s, I know real quick if I miss hit one.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I had a similar thing when I switched to the MP18s. For me it was that I was hitting it more in the toe. I checked with impact tape, actually painters tape haha. Once I got that straighten out the distance has been spot on. They definetly aren't as forgiving as my last set of MP5s, I know real quick if I miss hit one.

hmmm maybe I should double check with some tape to see where I'm striking it, if it is the toe it feels a lot nicer than my old toe shots did :D

hmmm maybe I should double check with some tape to see where I'm striking it, if it is the toe it feels a lot nicer than my old toe shots did :D

It wasn't much off. The MP18s are just so beautiful.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

things could well be slightly off, definitely quite a drastic change in length & lie from my old irons, certainly hope its just that as they are so beautiful, and cost a lot of £££

things could well be slightly off, definitely quite a drastic change in length & lie from my old irons, certainly hope its just that as they are so beautiful, and cost a lot of £££

How does the distances you are seeing on the course differ from your fitting? An inch will certainly effect the clubhead speed but as you already a long baller it shouldn't really matter too much.

How does the distances you are seeing on the course differ from your fitting? An inch will certainly effect the clubhead speed but as you already a long baller it shouldn't really matter too much.

Think I've only hit the 6 iron once on course and it seemed about 5 yards shy carry compared to fitting data, low 180 carry.

Will have to get to the course and investigate this further. Also be intrigued to get my old irons out the garage and see how much they are different to my clubs now in length, as doing a bit of digging I've read that Mizunos tend to be shorter than most other companies standard lengths?

I still have my old GW in the bag currently and that is the same length as my new 9 iron.

The mizuno 6 iron is just over 3/4 inch shorter than my x forged. 8 iron was the same.

I've ordered some shaft extensions and will get them extended up and then have to get them flattened out

I also see on the invoice they have put .58 grips on and the x100 amt are a .60 butt, the grips do feel larger than my driver and 3 wood. So these will get replaced when I lengthen. Not an ideal start to my new irons!

The mizuno 6 iron is just over 3/4 inch shorter than my x forged. 8 iron was the same.

I've ordered some shaft extensions and will get them extended up and then have to get them flattened out

I also see on the invoice they have put .58 grips on and the x100 amt are a .60 butt, the grips do feel larger than my driver and 3 wood. So these will get replaced when I lengthen. Not an ideal start to my new irons!

Were the clubs sent wrong length by mistake? Or were they ordered wrong? Or just fit incorrectly?

Mizuno irons are a 1/4” shorter than callaway

Vokeys SM9 56,60

I would speak with the fitter and or Mizuno and explain the situation and get them to readjust the clubs how you would like them. But it's strange how they clubs have turned out to be so different from your expectations.

I would speak with the fitter and or Mizuno and explain the situation and get them to readjust the clubs how you would like them. But it's strange how they clubs have turned out to be so different from your expectations.

Were the clubs sent wrong length by mistake? Or were they ordered wrong? Or just fit incorrectly?

Mizuno irons are a 1/4” shorter than callaway

Dave - it’s gotta be frustrating to get a “custom fit” set and immediately have to get them lengthened..... by almost an inch?!

Where was the disconnect? The fitting? The custom build? Both?

The length issue isn't Mizuno's fault, the fitter suggested I try 1/2 inch over instead of an inch over like my callaway and see how I get on as I would probably have more control. What he didn't say/realise is that Mizunos are already shorter than callaway standard lengths.

Not sure whether it was the person who ordered them or mizuno's fault who decided putting 0.58 grips on a .60 butt was.

The bigger issue that I realised this morning, and have since contacted the fitter about, is that Mizuno have fitted the wrong shafts into them. We ordered and were fit for AMT X100, what they have supplied is the Tour White AMT x100, which although is very similar, is not the same shaft and not what was ordered. I just thought it was a different shaft decal but after looking up butt diameters yesterday I now realise they are actually 2 different shafts.

So I am returning the irons to my club and they are going to send them back to Mizuno, they also reckon they can get them to change the length, will go for an inch longer which should be 3/4 long compared to callaway so much similar to my x forged. Will also get the grip issue sorted.

This is of course very annoying, but tbh with baby due any day now I won't be playing much golf so it's a very good time for them to go back.

Apparently Mizuno say they no longer supply clubs with the AMT X100, despite supplying it in their fitting stuff.

The club are going to get in contact with the rep.

Anyone know the difference between the tour white and standard?

Apparently Mizuno say they no longer supply clubs with the AMT X100, despite supplying it in their fitting stuff.

The club are going to get in contact with the rep.

Anyone know the difference between the tour white and standard?

Is it this one? Looks like this is the old model

https://www.truetemper.com/products/dynamic-gold-amt/

Vokeys SM9 56,60

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday at 6.03pm I became a father!

Little lad and mum both doing well, he needs to work on his grip a little bit but the early signs are promising

42009375382_15018451be_k.jpg

Had a phone call from my club about the irons, Mizuno have admitted that it's their fault and have now apparently sent out an email to fitting centres to warn customers fit into AMT X100 that they will be supplied with the tour white version.

So I'm going to go back to the club at some point and do another fitting for free with the irons to see if the shafts are as good, and Mizuno will change the shafts FOC. I'd like to do a bit more testing before, with the irons feeling noticeably heavier, when I switch to my old irons or my woods I seem to be leaving the face open. not sure if this is down to shaft being heavier/stiffer or grips being a bit larger or a bit of both. Since getting fitted for my driver the improvement has been astonishing, I'm driving it so well especially given how little im practicing or playing. One of the shafts the DNA through up was project x 6.0, similar to pxi I have in the forged and same manufacturer of my woods shafts. So it concerns me slightly that the driver has been effected since getting the new irons.

So it may well be a blessing in disguise that I can swap the shaft to compliment the rest of the bag better than the x100 AMT seems to.

Thanks guys, has been very tiring but loved (nearly) every second :D

Had our 3rd round of the Daily Mail Foursomes last week which we won, I played very well especially considering I haven't practiced. Used my old irons and the driver was back to straight bombs again. So want to test the x100 shafts again and see how the driver reacts but I'm sure it was down to the extra weight and stiffness of the shafts changing swing slightly.

Have got a 36 hole scratch competition at my club this Saturday which I won last year so will hopefully squeeze a bit of practice in this week in preparation for that. Will try and get the iron refitting done the week after.

My putting was also much improved, distance control is better, stroke is better as can be seen in video below. I've always had a short backstroke and accelerated and much longer through stroke, I've done lots of drills and tried to change this to no avail. Since changing my routine and reacting quicker this seems to have magically solved this fault. Maybe more important than anything I'm in a much better space mentally when putting.

https://www.instagra...by=davedunlop87

"Maybe more important than anything I'm in a much better space mentally when putting."

That's coz you're a dad know and you realise - it doesn't really matter :)

Hope you and the Mrs are managing to stay "rational" with one another - it's not easy!

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

A new taylormade toy will be arriving in the next 2 days :D

Had our 3rd round of the Daily Mail Foursomes last week which we won, I played very well especially considering I haven't practiced. Used my old irons and the driver was back to straight bombs again. So want to test the x100 shafts again and see how the driver reacts but I'm sure it was down to the extra weight and stiffness of the shafts changing swing slightly.

Have got a 36 hole scratch competition at my club this Saturday which I won last year so will hopefully squeeze a bit of practice in this week in preparation for that. Will try and get the iron refitting done the week after.

My putting was also much improved, distance control is better, stroke is better as can be seen in video below. I've always had a short backstroke and accelerated and much longer through stroke, I've done lots of drills and tried to change this to no avail. Since changing my routine and reacting quicker this seems to have magically solved this fault. Maybe more important than anything I'm in a much better space mentally when putting.

Good luck in the tournament this weekend. Is the new TM toy going to arrive in time?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Good luck in the tournament this weekend. Is the new TM toy going to arrive in time?

Tracking says it should arrive tomorrow, hopefully I can get it bent a couple of degrees flat* in time to use Saturday.

*Gives a clue as to what it could be

Despite a text from delivery company last night saying it will be delivered today, nothing has yet arrived :(