#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

19899100101102104»

Comments

• misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83 Members Posts: 15,316 ✭✭
    edited Apr 28, 2018 #3092
    Sean2 wrote:

Sean2 wrote:

Well, I guess I get to eat my words. lol

After my round today...the temperature almost hit 70 AND the sun was shining, remarkable...I went to check out the demo day our club was having. I figured I would give the Rogue a shot. As I have said in the past, I am not interested in purchasing anything unless it has a real WOW! factor.

I wasn't expecting much. I have read some reviews as well as what some folks have had to say about the Rogue versus the Epic, and based on that I just didn't think there would be much difference. I was wrong.

Launch angle, spin rate, smash factor, etc., were all better with the Rogue. I was also carrying it 22 yards longer than with the Epic (now, that ain't saying much since I don't hit it all that far to begin with). I also like the shaft...an Aldila Synergy...which I had never heard of before. The sound and feel were substantially different as too.

Regarding the extra yardage, I am wondering if there is a small hairline crack in my Epic that I can't see. My swing/ball speed were close. The big difference was smash factor which went from 1.45 to 1.52...though I though SF only went to 1.50.

In any case, I was hitting it higher, farther, and straighter. I ordered the Rogue Draw, 13.5º, set to -1/N, with the Aldila Synergy shaft in regular flex.

Sean..

Awesome to hear man!

I have have a few epic vs rogue battles this demo season. Rogue has won most of them.

Did you try the rogue woods or hybrids?

Thanks Tex!

No, I didn't. The demo day fitter highly praised the Rogue fairway woods, but I am quite happy with my Epic woods. The reason I demo'd the Rogue was I was hitting the Epic too low and it seemed to have lost some of its feel. The woods are fine.

As to the hybrids, I have the Steelhead XR 5, and I am happy with that as well.

Same technology that made the Epic so good in those little buggers.. However, can't blame you for not trying. Too many times we all chase the newer product when our "gamers" our is working just fine.

If ever get curious I would definitely hit the new Rogue woods/hybrids might surprise you or not--but you don't know unless you hit them.

So cool to see the same stuff in your bag from last year fitting!-- How you know you were fitted by world class fitters.
    Callaway Rogue SZ *9.0 w/ UST Mamyia Proforce V2 6F4 (US Open Edition)

Callaway Rogue SZ *13.5 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway SZ Rogue SZ *18 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway 18' Xforged 4-P w/ KBS $taper 120 S

Callaway Tactical Wedges 50S & 54S & 58W w/ True Temper S200

Odyssey #6 Long Neck White Hot

#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭

Sean2 wrote:

Sean2 wrote:

Well, I guess I get to eat my words. lol

After my round today...the temperature almost hit 70 AND the sun was shining, remarkable...I went to check out the demo day our club was having. I figured I would give the Rogue a shot. As I have said in the past, I am not interested in purchasing anything unless it has a real WOW! factor.

I wasn't expecting much. I have read some reviews as well as what some folks have had to say about the Rogue versus the Epic, and based on that I just didn't think there would be much difference. I was wrong.

Launch angle, spin rate, smash factor, etc., were all better with the Rogue. I was also carrying it 22 yards longer than with the Epic (now, that ain't saying much since I don't hit it all that far to begin with). I also like the shaft...an Aldila Synergy...which I had never heard of before. The sound and feel were substantially different as too.

Regarding the extra yardage, I am wondering if there is a small hairline crack in my Epic that I can't see. My swing/ball speed were close. The big difference was smash factor which went from 1.45 to 1.52...though I though SF only went to 1.50.

In any case, I was hitting it higher, farther, and straighter. I ordered the Rogue Draw, 13.5º, set to -1/N, with the Aldila Synergy shaft in regular flex.

Sean..

Awesome to hear man!

I have have a few epic vs rogue battles this demo season. Rogue has won most of them.

Did you try the rogue woods or hybrids?

Thanks Tex!

No, I didn't. The demo day fitter highly praised the Rogue fairway woods, but I am quite happy with my Epic woods. The reason I demo'd the Rogue was I was hitting the Epic too low and it seemed to have lost some of its feel. The woods are fine.

As to the hybrids, I have the Steelhead XR 5, and I am happy with that as well.

Same technology that made the Epic so good in those little buggers.. However, can't blame you for not trying. Too many times we all chase the newer product when our "gamers" our is working just fine.

If ever get curious I would definitely hit the new Rogue woods/hybrids might surprise you or not--but you don't know unless you hit them.

So cool to see the same stuff in your bag from last year fitting!-- How you know you were fitted by world class fitters.

Frankly, I am afraid to make any changes for that very reason. The only reason I wanted to try the Rogue was I wasn't happy with the ball flight of the Epic. It was getting too low...and I wanted to see if I was leaving anything on the table because of that. It turns out I was. lol
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,585 ✭✭
    I’ve been a major ho this year as well and I need to slow down. I love all my Callaway clubs but I ended up falling in love with a PING G400 fairway wood. Fairway woods are the one club in my bag that kind of scare me. I’ve lost a little confidence in my ability to hit them reliably straight and high enough off the deck. I’ve always felt that PING makes super easy fairways. I also reordered another set of X Forged and sold my Apex MB’s. I made a little career change that’s impacting my practice time and I need a bit more help in the irons.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,841 ClubWRX
    I've gone back and forth with the Epic driver and Epic SZ fairway and TM 2017 M1 and 2016 M2 HL. I'm not sure what's up, but the Epic has become erratic over the past few months, which has spurred some hoing.

I did pick up the standard Rogue driver, which has been pretty good; it hangs in there against the M1. The 2018 X-Forged have been great so far. I tried to mix them with the new Apex MB but found I prefer the XF in the short irons.

I just got these today....

PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Titleist T-MB 3 Iron - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour Spec
    Srixon 785 4-P - Nippon Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

I've gone back and forth with the Epic driver and Epic SZ fairway and TM 2017 M1 and 2016 M2 HL. I'm not sure what's up, but the Epic has become erratic over the past few months, which has spurred some hoing.

I did pick up the standard Rogue driver, which has been pretty good; it hangs in there against the M1. The 2018 X-Forged have been great so far. I tried to mix them with the new Apex MB but found I prefer the XF in the short irons.

I just got these today....

Those raw MD4 wedges are awesome. I forgot that I ordered those too. I’m a mess.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,163 ✭✭
    LOL, we had talked about changes to the bag, and i had made a couple..... and then today I went to the LM with the bag I was fit for in Carlsbad and smoked a 262yd shot with my 20 degree hybrid. I guess i'll have to put that back in the bag.

Will probably keep the G as my driver though just because i'll need the forgiveness.

I have a 5-day old daughter now. So that is kinda taking priority here!
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
    MtlJeff wrote:

LOL, we had talked about changes to the bag, and i had made a couple..... and then today I went to the LM with the bag I was fit for in Carlsbad and smoked a 262yd shot with my 20 degree hybrid. I guess i'll have to put that back in the bag.

Will probably keep the G as my driver though just because i'll need the forgiveness.

Congratulations Jeff! Before you know she will have you wrapped around her little finger. lol
    Sean2 wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

Congratulations Jeff! Before you know she will have you wrapped around her little finger. lol

Pretty sure she already does

Hopefully we'll get to play golf together one day!
    Jeff that is awesome. I’m real excited for you. Playing golf with my dad is one of my greatest joys and stress relievers in life. I hope you get to share that with your new daughter!
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,841 ClubWRX
    Congrats to you and your wife, Jeff!
    PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Titleist T-MB 3 Iron - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour Spec
    Srixon 785 4-P - Nippon Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016 Members Posts: 2,857 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Congratulations! I've been checking the thread for baby news, that's awesome! It is the most incredible thing in the world!
    Callaway Epic SZ, 9*
    Callaway Epic 15*, 18*
    Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*
    Callaway Steelhead XR, 5-AW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 54F, 58K
    Odyssey O-Works Black 7s
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,161 ✭✭
    Haven't checked this thread out for a long time. Congratulations Jeff!! That's awesome.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Mizuno MP59's 5-PW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,036 ClubWRX
    Congratulations, Jeff!
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
    Thanks guys, tomorrow is her 7th day so one week!

She's mostly been a fantastic baby so far. So we are knocking on wood that this continues LOL. Only one scary moment where she cried for hours and we figured out we weren't feeding her enough, so after the hospital suggested that we up her food, we basically fed her like she was part of our late night IN and OUT runs. Then all was good

Today i got to play 9 holes and my wife took her out for a walk
  • south_side_leftysouth_side_lefty Posts: 1,109 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Thanks guys, tomorrow is her 7th day so one week!

She's mostly been a fantastic baby so far. So we are knocking on wood that this continues LOL. Only one scary moment where she cried for hours and we figured out we weren't feeding her enough, so after the hospital suggested that we up her food, we basically fed her like she was part of our late night IN and OUT runs. Then all was good

Today i got to play 9 holes and my wife took her out for a walk

Congratulations, Jeff. Great news.

And to think, she's already walking at 7 days. They do grow up fast... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • BrizamBrizam Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 948 ClubWRX
    edited May 7, 2018 #3107
    MtlJeff wrote:

Congrats bro. Welcome to the dad club..... up next Dad Bod
    5 birdie 72 today my second round of the year. I am determined not to let kids ruin my golf game LOL

^^^^ You are right though about dad bod. I haven't been to the gym since she was born. I try to do push ups and stuff at home. Its hard though. I'm tired these days obviously and every time I have free time at home there's baby laundry or bottles to clean
  • ZAPZAP ClubWRX Posts: 1,566 ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club. I joined 20 years ago and it seems like the blink of an eye. Enjoy every bit of it.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
    Those irons are ****!

We had our Callaway demo day yesterday. Hit the Rogue SZ and the Rogue Pro irons.

I like the feel of the Rogue driver better than the Epic but my numbers were the exact same. I like the Rogue Pro irons too, they are very good for a cast players club and really put a thump on the ball
    My putting has gone into the crapper, which is normal for me. I was searching through the putter threads. Rod, that garage Toulon is SICK! I am going to dig through the sofa cushions to find some cash. YOWZA!
    Callaway Epic SZ, 9*
    Callaway Epic 15*, 18*
    Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*
    Odyssey O-Works Black 7s
    Well, I now have 300+ rounds with these clubs and have yet to change the grips...they are still nice and tacky. image/hi.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':hi:' />
    First father's day for me.....bought myself a Odyssey Red Tank with the Microhinge. Sales guy was telling about the microhinge and i was like "Look you jabroni, i knew about microhinge while you were still in diapers"

My game sucks. The lack of practice and range time is hurting me. My last 4 rounds 78-78-80-80.

But at least i'm getting out there. And my daughter is 12lbs now and eating us out of house and home.

As i write this she is waking up and yelling at me for more food
    Awesome! Glad she is doing great, nothing better. I'd love your crappy game right now
    Callaway Epic SZ, 9*
    Callaway Epic 15*, 18*
    Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*
    Odyssey O-Works Black 7s
This discussion has been closed.