2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best stay and play options for a budget golfer??

Hey all! I live in Iowa and would like to spoil myself this year sometime with a golf trip somewhere. I'm pretty tight with money and probably wouldn't be able to do something until July/August/September, but wanted to see what was out there. If anyone has any places that they were super pleased with, let me know!

The plan is just for me right now, but I might try and find a buddy.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phoenix can be done very inexpensively in summer. Depending on where you are in Iowa 110 with 15% humidity probably beats the heck out of 90-90% Although you may be better off taking advantage of summer hotel rates and sourcing better priced tee times on your own vs the markup for resort rate etc.

Options

Wekopa great courses, downside is location is very far out of the central part of town.

Troon Four Seasons can still be pricey and they'll prob gouge you on golf.

Westin Kierland, good hotel mediocre golf

Camelback Inn, One good course(Ambiente) one just OK course(Padre)

Mountain Shadows resort also partners with Camelback and they have a really awesome par 3 course.

Dont know what it is called but the hotel with the Whirlwind courses.

Boulders-prob the most expensive option.

Really the possibilities are endless around here

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Sand Valley in Wisconsin

Sand Valley Golf Resort

or

Sand Hills in Nebraska

Either would depend on what part of Iowa you are in but both are bucket list courses and driving to them could save you some $$ vs flying.

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

Prairie Club in Nebraska could be a solid choice as it is drivable and has 42 holes on site (I believe it is an 8 hope Par 3, apologies if inaccurate)

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Don't sleep on Lake Geneva area. I was looking at doing a trip out there a few years ago and I don't remember what the prices were but both Geneva National and Grand Geneva resorts had stay and play packages that looked good. I've never played those courses though so maybe someone else can chime in on them...

Sand Valley in Wisconsin

Sand Valley Golf Resort

or

Sand Hills in Nebraska

Either would depend on what part of Iowa you are in but both are bucket list courses and driving to them could save you some $$ vs flying.

Great, thanks! I love Wisco, I'll check it out.

If you want great value golf in Wisconsin, I would hang out in the quad formed by Wisconsin Dells, Nekoosa, Stevens Point and Green Lake.

Right now, Nekoosa is big because of Sand Valley. But one mile away is an older 36-hole complex called Lake Arrowhead which is very nice.

Some fine courses around the Dells. I really enjoyed Northern Bay at Castle Rock, an 18-hole course with 6-8 replica holes which are well done (including #17 at TPC).

In Stevens Point, you have Sentry World, which will be pricy but just underwent renovation, For a bit less, Stevens Point Country Club is decent.

In Green Lake, you'll find Lawsonia. Gets rave reviews from the Chicago crowd here, but I'm not as much a fan. But, their 36-hole special on the Links and Woodlands is like stealing.

Fun pubs and restaurants nearby Green Lake and a few hotels and B&Bs. If you choose to stay closer to Point, consider staying in Plover, which is home to Mikey's Pub and O'So Brewing and several small chain hotels.

Another fun spot for value golf in Wisconsin is Minocqua area with Northwoods in Rhinelander, Timber Ridge in Minocqua, St. Germain and Eagle River.

IMO no brainer, drive to sand valley WI. Use the cash saved on flights to play at a top resort. The other benefit is that it is atypical golf for the midwest, so you are getting a different experience that is only roughly 5 hrs away. Driving your own car saves so much money you can spend more on golf.

I'm actually learning towards this. Would I be better off staying in a VRBO/Air B&B or staying on site?

You will have to check out some bookings to find out which is right for you. In my experience Air B&B is less expensive and I can do my own food for less (budget). But staying on property is usually a better experience overall, just more expensive. As a single at times there are no small Air B&B close so it can be a problem. I also find tee time access is always improved when you stay on site. Be sure to hit up Lawsonia GC as well (it is just over an hour from sand valley), and if the budget allows on the drive home pass by Erin Hills. That my friend is a "spread your wings" "spoil yourself" golf trip.

You will have to check out some bookings to find out which is right for you. In my experience Air B&B is less expensive and I can do my own food for less (budget). But staying on property is usually a better experience overall, just more expensive. As a single at times there are no small Air B&B close so it can be a problem. I also find tee time access is always improved when you stay on site. Be sure to hit up Lawsonia GC as well (it is just over an hour from sand valley), and if the budget allows on the drive home pass by Erin Hills. That my friend is a "spread your wings" "spoil yourself" golf trip.

Love it, this will definitely be on the list. Now if I could just save the stupid amount of money I have to pay for health care for one more month and put it towards a golf trip..... I wish COBRA on no one. So, SO awful.

The RTJ Trail in Alabama is a good choice and typically budget friendly...

Looks to be good deals at great courses. Does the "trail special" when I look up tee times mean that's the price if you have the trail card??

Technically, key word, you have to live 100 miles from any of the trail locations to get a trail card. Technically......... Lets just say I moved way outside of that 100 mile radius and had no trouble purchasing a trail card each year.

Looks to be good deals at great courses. Does the "trail special" when I look up tee times mean that's the price if you have the trail card??

Technically, key word, you have to live 100 miles from any of the trail locations to get a trail card. Technically......... Lets just say I moved way outside of that 100 mile radius and had no trouble purchasing a trail card each year.

Good to know. Too bad I'm over a 10 hour drive away.

Good to know. Too bad I'm over a 10 hour drive away.

I was about 8 hrs away and know some guys in CA that have trail cards for the 1 time per year they come....

Sand Valley in Wisconsin

Sand Valley Golf Resort

or

Sand Hills in Nebraska

Great, thanks! I love Wisco, I'll check it out.

If you want great value golf in Wisconsin, I would hang out in the quad formed by Wisconsin Dells, Nekoosa, Stevens Point and Green Lake.

Right now, Nekoosa is big because of Sand Valley. But one mile away is an older 36-hole complex called Lake Arrowhead which is very nice.

Some fine courses around the Dells. I really enjoyed Northern Bay at Castle Rock, an 18-hole course with 6-8 replica holes which are well done (including #17 at TPC).

In Stevens Point, you have Sentry World, which will be pricy but just underwent renovation, For a bit less, Stevens Point Country Club is decent.

In Green Lake, you'll find Lawsonia. Gets rave reviews from the Chicago crowd here, but I'm not as much a fan. But, their 36-hole special on the Links and Woodlands is like stealing.

Fun pubs and restaurants nearby Green Lake and a few hotels and B&Bs. If you choose to stay closer to Point, consider staying in Plover, which is home to Mikey's Pub and O'So Brewing and several small chain hotels.

Another fun spot for value golf in Wisconsin is Minocqua area with Northwoods in Rhinelander, Timber Ridge in Minocqua, St. Germain and Eagle River.

Northwood's in Rhinelander is one of my favorite, but bring a lot of balls. Eagle River is another great course and St Germain also has an executive course. Plus when you get done golfing there is great fishing up there.

WITB
TM SIM - 10.5
Ping G25 FW 15*
Ping G25 Hybrid 19*
JPX-900 Forged 4-GW Dynamic Gold X-100
Cleveland RTX-3 54, 58
Bettinardi SS28

How far are you looking to travel? and does the budget include flight or are you driving. I think these may be very helpful to know...

I would be open to flying. Probably wouldn't pay more than 350 for a round trip flight, I know that's tough. Driving would be doable within 6-8 hours maybe.

A lot of excellent options listed. Based on your dates and since I do't see it I would toss out Pinehurst NC. Depending on flight options of course you fly into Raleigh Durham which is only an hour away OR to Charlotte which is 1hr-45mins away. Ton of excellent tracks and can catch some excellent summer values. Alot of people say you can get some excellent deals too on Golfnow during the summer.

I know in the summer months there are excellent package deals. The one that comes to mind is a 2 night - 3 rounds through Tobacco road for 269.00 (Tobacco Road/Dormie Club/Whispering Pines) They others too a bit more and some even less in price. I would bet as a single the price would be more though based on the room.

EDIT: Link provided below.

https://tobaccoroadt...l.com/packages/

How far are you looking to travel? and does the budget include flight or are you driving. I think these may be very helpful to know...

I would be open to flying. Probably wouldn't pay more than 350 for a round trip flight, I know that's tough. Driving would be doable within 6-8 hours maybe.

A lot of excellent options listed. Based on your dates and since I do't see it I would toss out Pinehurst NC. Depending on flight options of course you fly into Raleigh Durham which is only an hour away OR to Charlotte which is 1hr-45mins away. Ton of excellent tracks and can catch some excellent summer values. Alot of people say you can get some excellent deals too on Golfnow during the summer.

I know in the summer months there are excellent package deals. The one that comes to mind is a 2 night - 3 rounds through Tobacco road for 269.00 (Tobacco Road/Dormie Club/Whispering Pines) They others too a bit more and some even less in price. I would bet as a single the price would be more though based on the room.

EDIT: Link provided below.

https://tobaccoroadt...l.com/packages/

Sweet deals! I could even turn that into a 4-6 day trip and do other things in the Carolinas. (I love fishing)

Anyone have any other similar sites that offer package deals??