Slow Start - advice needed

kcap

Does he have the same concerns as you? There's a lot of "we" and "us" in your posts. I would just make sure that he is working on his game because he wants to improve, not because you want him to improve.

He is 11 now, was actually 10 at the start of my post but believe me he is more bothered by his score than anyone else I know.

Yes, I write "We" cause I spend my weekend being his Caddie, and any other spare time looking for ways to to improve. Do not get me wrong, I love watching him play golf but he plays these tournaments for himself.

I am more than happy for both of us playing recreational golf at our club - there is no pressure plus I get to play golf. My only ask and I think HH spoke it, if we compete then we are trying to beat our personal best each time - i did not say come first or getting ranked, the focus is your personal best.

These tournaments take a lot of toll on the family so if you are not trying to do well or want to do well then forget it and lets just play rec golf - you might not like that philosophy but that is what I believe.

Finally, I have no doubt, and I think most parents will know that, that my son wants to improve - the guy has spent every time free minute over the last few weeks working on his game. He gets dropped at the club, practices alone/lesson/clinic, gets picked up. He has a set of drills that I give him for the day, we go over them at the end of day. IMO, if he did not care to improve, he would never have worked as hard at his game.

What's funny is that when I was writing my initial post, I was deliberate in using "We" and was quite sure I would get called out for it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if your post is serious or not.

I was pointing out that the kid might be struggling a bit because he doesn't share the same goals as his father.

As for your other points. Good luck with that. Let us know how that goes.

Great. Have a kid in college playing D1 golf, Captain of her team, honor roll student, leadership team for a major college conference representing her entire school as a freshman, also elected by administration to be the sole person representing her school on the NCAA D1 rules and leadership committee. The reason is because we raised her right and pushed her to be the best at everything she touched. We parented our kids, not the other way around. She now has a great work ethic and appreciates everything we did. If a kid wants to do something, it is 100% effort, even if they stink at it.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Relax heavy, not everyone parents the way you do, nor does everyone need to parent the way you do...

No one answer for a slow start. Might be the weather, might be the mats.. Sounds like it is a bit of both, and all is beginning to fire again.. Keep up the excellent work!

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I was pointing out that the kid might be struggling a bit because he doesn't share the same goals as his father.

Great. Have a kid in college playing D1 golf, Captain of her team, honor roll student, leadership team for a major college conference representing her entire school as a freshman, also elected by administration to be the sole person representing her school on the NCAA D1 rules and leadership committee. The reason is because we raised her right and pushed her to be the best at everything she touched. We parented our kids, not the other way around. She now has a great work ethic and appreciates everything we did. If a kid wants to do something, it is 100% effort, even if they stink at it.

Thats good. Make sure you take credit for everything your kid does.

Does he have the same concerns as you? There's a lot of "we" and "us" in your posts. I would just make sure that he is working on his game because he wants to improve, not because you want him to improve.

What is it any concern of yours of "we" and "us" that he used? Golf is the one sport that it takes parent involvement, so there are a lot of we's and us's. Just the way it is. The other issue I have is that type of parenting. I have told my kids that if they are going to do something they need to put in 100% effort. I don't care if they want to be a garbage man. If they are going to be a garbage man they are going to be the best garbage man in the world. They will have a regimented schedule of when and how to be a garbage man and work on it a couple hours a day at least 5 days of the week. My kids will also be academically strong to be successful as being a garbage man because they will be the head garbage man. They will be the boss, shift manager, or any other title to be the best at it. They will study their academics through school whether they want to or not. I, my wife, we, us will make him the best garbage man he can be.

Bottom line, what is wrong with society today is the younger generations don't hold their kids accountable for anything. If they are going to do something, they need to put the effort in to do it, whether they want to or not. The KID doesn't have the choice and that is why they are a KID!! There is a difference in living through your kids vicariously and setting your kids up for success. If my kid came to me tomorrow and said he wanted to quit then I am all for it. As long as he wants to play golf, basketball, football, he will put the effort and practice in to be better. WE will do it together because as long as he loves doing it, I love doing it with him.

Thanks for all the posts; I love the Pelz short game handicap and Hubijerk advice.

For an update; He has played 3 tournament rounds since the initial post, scores are still mid 80s. That said, he has been striking the ball really well but not been able to put together a complete round. A couple of weeks ago, he hit 14 GIRs but had a total of 42 putts including 4 missed ones from 3-4 ft that were big breakers. (we worked a fair bit on putting that week). The last two weekends he has been playing really well (3-5 over) after 12-15 holes but then had a big blow up; I am talking a 9 on a par 4 - if we eliminate those blow ups and finish strong; all is well.

Golf has become fun again (first couple of week were not fun). He is not scoring what I had hoped (i know he is right there and it is just a question of time) but its been heartening to watch him practice with intensity and really work to get over the hump.

As a side note; we are finally taking the plunge on a OEM driver, he had a VT Max which he preferred that to the M2/F6-7 ; he tried out the Rogue Sub Zero at our club this weekend and he loved it. Was carrying it 10 yards with a lower, better trajectory - which means at least 20 yard more in total distance (i hope).

If he isn’t finishing the round it could he due to poor diet. Could be that he is not eating enough on the course and/or what he is eating is not good brain friendly food. My son had the same problem at one point. At the advice of his coach he dropped all sugars except that which is consumed naturally. No Gatorade or sports drinks, no sodas, and even eliminated orange juice. Breakfast 2 eggs and banana or apple. At course bananas, apples, chicken breast, brain healthy nuts, and water. Once the diet was right it eliminated problems with finishing the round. Bottle of water every 2-3 holes and handful of nuts every hole.

HH - I hope it is not the diet because I read an earlier post by you and have ensured that he eats and hydrates through the course of the round. - so thanks for that!

Dang.... I didn't know people actually read my posts. I though most on here had me blocked.

??

Thats good. Make sure you take credit for everything your kid does.

Really? You have never posted in the junior forums. I jumped in because I think it is absolutely ridiculous for anyone to question another persons use of "we" or "us". It is absolutely none of your business or any other key board warrior to question it. I am stepping up and defending KCap because your initial post was ignorant to say the least. I don't need to defend myself because at this point you are just trolling.

Thread's been cleaned up. Please stay on topic and don't bicker. Carry on.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Has he had his eyes checked? Every time my son went through growth spurts he needed new RX for his glasses. I'd do your best to set him up for success, but at the end of the day, he's got to find it on his own.

My kid always gets headaches when he needs his prescription changed. I think I need to get him contacts. He has transition lenses and I think it messes up his reading the greens.

Has he had his eyes checked? Every time my son went through growth spurts he needed new RX for his glasses. I'd do your best to set him up for success, but at the end of the day, he's got to find it on his own.

My kid always gets headaches when he needs his prescription changed. I think I need to get him contacts. He has transition lenses and I think it messes up his reading the greens.

I completely forgot about this

Jslane.. thanks for the advice and you were also responsible for some trouble at my household

Me to the Mrs. “ I think we should get his eye checked, Why? Cause, It was suggested on the wrx forum”

Mrs”. WTF , I suggested a few weeks back and you dismissed the idea, a random person mentions it and you want it done yesterday”

Me “ it is on WRX it has to be good advice”

As it turns out his power did increase,, still don’t have new glasses but thanks for the advice and the crap I got !!

I completely forgot about this

Jslane.. thanks for the advice and you were also responsible for some trouble at my household

Me to the Mrs. " I think we should get his eye checked, Why? Cause, It was suggested on the wrx forum"

Mrs". WTF , I suggested a few weeks back and you dismissed the idea, a random person mentions it and you want it done yesterday"

Me " it is on WRX it has to be good advice"

As it turns out his power did increase,, still don't have new glasses but thanks for the advice and the crap I got !!

I learned how to play with glasses, played college golf with glasses... My game improved ENORMOUSLY when I started using contacts on the course. I still wear glasses most of the time in daily life, but for any athletics or activities that require visual precision I don the contacts. A side from better vision it's also nice to not have to worry about sweat and fog in the glasses, and when it rains... I still remember the first time I went outside in the rain wearing contacts... It's just little things but all those little things you think about add up and take up brain processing power and can irritate you over time... The less extra stuff you have to think about, like the annoying fog in the corner of you're lens the better you can focus on the task at hand.

Diet is more important than you think. As one of those obsessive performance dads I've seen and probably tried everything. I began to realize that performance usually dropped around hole 12-13. It was like he was going from Jordan Speith to Joe Blow weekend hacker. I knew he doesn't suddenly get stupid. It was fine muscle control. What's worse is that it doesn't appear like sudden weakness, they actually start swinging harder, which means they get into trouble more, and then the simple putts don't drop, they are losing fine motor control, the sequencing goes off.

I really noticed it last year in a tournament he won. They gave him a big sandwich right before the round which he ate on the practice green. he starts the round and proceeds to have 6 birdies and I think 1 bogey. he's at hole 15 or 16 when wham, it hits, double bogey, followed by bogey, in the water on the last hole. Instead of coming in strong 5 under, he's hit the wall and finally putts out to shoot a 70. There was a logjam at 72, 8 other golfers waiting for him in the final group to come in. His friend says when he made that last putt he had the saddest face in the world, of course it was because he thought he blew the tournament not realizing he had won it.

2 weeks later we are in Modesto. This time I try something. I bought bottles of Ensure and had him drink a bottle at ehe practice tee.. he hated it, it doesn't taste so good when its at room temperature. 1 hour later after parring 4 holes in a row he went birdie, eagle, birdie, with the last birdie being a par 3 which the other guys in his foursome saw that it almost went in for a hole in one. They told him right then and there that they though he was going to win the tournament with the performance they saw. Especially the par 5, where he was on in 2 and then sank a 35 foot putt for eagle that was uphill and then downhill to the hole.

he didn't win that tournament. The Ensure only boosted him for an hour, and he refused to drink another one because they taste awful, too bad. I to this day wonder what he would've accomplished if he downed an Ensure every hour. You try everything to help your kid win, if becoming the next big pro golfer was as simple as drinking an Ensure every 4 holes, I would be buying that stuff by the caseload. Of course, they have to be a decent golfer to begin with. This will not work if your kid is hacking it up all over the course.