2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

I think half the guys from the trip have been at least testing one or more other setups. It wouldn't be GolfWRX if we didn't!

After consulting with my fitter Jason from The Kingdom since I've been back and have more on course experience, I'm in a different driver than my original set up. Currently gaming an M3 460 and I'm seeing much better on course results.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The driver at full length seemed a bit long for me. I started choking up an inch and started seeing better contact. Then I added 12g of yarn to the head to get it to swingweight out to D2 if I gripped down an inch. I like the new sound, but it felt a bit heavy so I pulled 4g yarn back out and will give it another go this weekend.

Professional fitter that is full time at The Kingdom, "Here is the club that I have fit you for and is best suited to you."

Me, "Thanks, but I know a thing or two that I read online once."

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I think half the guys from the trip have been at least testing one or more other setups. It wouldn't be GolfWRX if we didn't!

After consulting with my fitter Jason from The Kingdom since I've been back and have more on course experience, I'm in a different driver than my original set up. Currently gaming an M3 460 and I'm seeing much better on course results.

Half? Show of hands, who hasn't tinkered with their fit driver :wave: .....guessing I may be alone on this one. Craig may be hanging in there but I blame that on end of the world type weather. He's shown impressive ho like tendencies.

Half? Show of hands, who hasn't tinkered with their fit driver :wave: .....guessing I may be alone on this one. Craig may be hanging in there but I blame that on end of the world type weather. He's shown impressive ho like tendencies.

That’s affirmative. I can still wave my hand. To this point I had not yet even touched the M4 with the wrench. I hadn’t even played with loft yet and I do have a green nv w/TM tip in my spares bag. My last few range session had been dedicated to getting adjusted to the irons.

Weather forecast is 80* tomorrow. I’m hosting an off site lunch meeting so I’ll get out in the afternoon. Rain again forecast for the weekend.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I am getting comfortable with this driver. Today was the first 60*+ day and despite our greens being punched it was a great day on the course. My course is in the process of building a new club house so we start on hole 11 and end on #10. These were my last 4 drives with my M3 according to Arccos.

#7 - crosswind left to right. The ball stopped in a divot and nuked the green because i had to be too steep to get to the ball cleanly.

#8 - downhill shot (obviously ;) )same crosswind but the wind really took this one hard right. I hit the ball solid but my start line should have been on the left fairway not the middle.

#9 - uphill into the wind. I didn't hit it great but even though it was high toe, the ball didn't hook it was a baby draw.

#10 - downhill with the wind. This hole usually kills me since my miss is a snap hook (OB left) on this hole. I missed this one well out on the toe and it ended up in the fairway. Thankfully the wind really helped this one.

I really misjudged the wind on this one and nuked my 2nd shot. My scoring was horrible... but I will blame that on the punched greens. Ah well golf is back... Winning!

Notes on my first round with the M3 on my home course in normalish weather:

• the driver is very forgiving on mishits - I think the twist face is working (even if it isn't the thought that it is there is comforting - science AND/OR placebo FTW!)
  • the driver is as long as anything else I've used in the past
  • i love the sound - it is a muted thud
  • i need to go back to the Fuji Atmos I was fit into at the Kingdom (or the addi 7x I just BST'ed) since I would bet my spin numbers were too high on my mishits on the front side. The Tensei feels glorious but hoes gonna hoe.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I am getting comfortable with this driver. Today was the first 60*+ day and despite our greens being punched it was a great day on the course. My course is in the process of building a new club house so we start on hole 11 and end on #10. These were my last 4 drives with my M3 according to Arccos.

#7 - crosswind left to right. The ball stopped in a divot and nuked the green because i had to be too steep to get to the ball cleanly.

#8 - downhill shot (obviously ;) )same crosswind but the wind really took this one hard right. I hit the ball solid but my start line should have been on the left fairway not the middle.

#9 - uphill into the wind. I didn't hit it great but even though it was high toe, the ball didn't hook it was a baby draw.

#10 - downhill with the wind. This hole usually kills me since my miss is a snap hook (OB left) on this hole. I missed this one well out on the toe and it ended up in the fairway. Thankfully the wind really helped this one.

I really misjudged the wind on this one and nuked my 2nd shot. My scoring was horrible... but I will blame that on the punched greens. Ah well golf is back... Winning!

Notes on my first round with the M3 on my home course in normalish weather:

• the driver is very forgiving on mishits - I think the twist face is working (even if it isn't the thought that it is there is comforting - science AND/OR placebo FTW!)
  • the driver is as long as anything else I've used in the past
  • i love the sound - it is a muted thud
  • i need to go back to the Fuji Atmos I was fit into at the Kingdom (or the addi 7x I just BST'ed) since I would bet my spin numbers were too high on my mishits on the front side. The Tensei feels glorious but hoes gonna hoe.

Nice work. My on course is coming but it will lack your computer skills.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have started to get out and play. Sadly, not well. During my early random rounds (2 rds more than a month apart) in crappy wet weather, I had a nice consistent swing thought. Now playing on back to back days for the first time since last fall, I’m caught between swing thoughts and it’s not been good.

No issues with equipment though. Only with my brain. Day 3 coming later this afternoon.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Figured I'd provide an update now that our season is underway and I've had the time and experience to get my bag set for the season. I'm absolutely loving my M3 driver with GD Tour AD IZ 6x. Loft is 8.5 tuned up one notch and I've got one weight forward, the other back and slightly heelward. Ball flight with this set up is really nice and I'm hitting a lot of fairways. No problem working it both ways.

Last year's M2 Tour w/ Fuji Pro Tour Spec is staying. I tried the M3, and it is really good, but the M2 Tour fits me so well it's just gotta stay. I tried an M3 hybrid but ultimately am sticking with my Ping G 22 degree. The M3 is a great hybrid, but the lie angle is too upright for me (my Ping is 2 degrees flat).

The Hi Toe wedge is phenomenal and probably the best wedge I've ever used. I have a 64 bent down to 62 and the sole feels perfect. It's incredibly versatile and has replaced my Ping ES 60. My wedges now go 50.5, 55, 62. I've had no gapping issues and rarely make a full swing with the 62. The 55 is a Milled Grind 54 SB bent 1 degree week. These wedges are as good or better than any out there IMO.

In terms of results, I've been playing well. My buddy and I qualified for the State Four Ball last week shooting 72. We both bogied the same 2 holes and also birdied the same 2. The main event is next week at Rumson CC. Yesterday I played in our club's Director's Cup qualifier and another buddy and I shot 63 net (he's an 8 hc) and we were medalists.

I'm the captain of our GAP team (Golf Association of Philadelphia inter-club matches) this year and won my first match playing in the #1 spot away. We are leading our division and today is match #2, so hopefully can keep it going.

Chris (Gamble_Gamble) came over to my club to play in our regular game on Friday. We had a real competitive match and were down 3 and 1 after 9. I shot 38 on the front but after pressing the match and all of my indies turned it around and shot 3 under in the back for 71 which won our match, the group throw-in and 2 scats(???)! Chris was great and chipped in for birdie on #15 which got us a fist-full of junk. He also went home with a Pickle...lol (dont ask)!

Again, I can't say enough about my M3 driver and the Hi Toe wedge. My results have been great and I am a TwistFace believer! ?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I finally have started to get out and play. Sadly, not well. During my early random rounds (2 rds more than a month apart) in crappy wet weather, I had a nice consistent swing thought. Now playing on back to back days for the first time since last fall, I’m caught between swing thoughts and it’s not been good.

No issues with equipment though. Only with my brain. Day 3 coming later this afternoon.

Update. 3 rounds last week, two rounds this week and I remain very very bad. Although limited, two early season rounds in and I was striking it fairly well. After more bad weather and a 3-4 week break between those rounds, the rails are currently off the track.

So bad in fact, I wouldn’t feel right about giving any equipment reviews as I know it’s me and not the equipment.

Very frustrated. Sadly, I have just a little over a week from my 1st golf trip of the season and I won’t be on a course again until the first round of that trip. I do hope to get at least one more range session in but it’s not a sure thing.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Update. 3 rounds last week, two rounds this week and I remain very very bad. Although limited, two early season rounds in and I was striking it fairly well. After more bad weather and a 3-4 week break between those rounds, the rails are currently off the track.

So bad in fact, I wouldn’t feel right about giving any equipment reviews as I know it’s me and not the equipment.

Very frustrated. Sadly, I have just a little over a week from my 1st golf trip of the season and I won’t be on a course again until the first round of that trip. I do hope to get at least one more range session in but it’s not a sure thing.

Craig, you've had one helluva a winter. I'm sure your game will come around if you have some patience ?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Agreed. I need more reps to eliminate the swing thoughts. My fall back fundamental is to is always go back to Monte’s no turn cast drill. Right now, I’ve just got to slow it down. Way too rushed on the take away.

The good thing is I’m putting well.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Figured I'd provide an update now that our season is underway and I've had the time and experience to get my bag set for the season. I'm absolutely loving my M3 driver with GD Tour AD IZ 6x. Loft is 8.5 tuned up one notch and I've got one weight forward, the other back and slightly heelward. Ball flight with this set up is really nice and I'm hitting a lot of fairways. No problem working it both ways.

Last year's M2 Tour w/ Fuji Pro Tour Spec is staying. I tried the M3, and it is really good, but the M2 Tour fits me so well it's just gotta stay. I tried an M3 hybrid but ultimately am sticking with my Ping G 22 degree. The M3 is a great hybrid, but the lie angle is too upright for me (my Ping is 2 degrees flat).

The Hi Toe wedge is phenomenal and probably the best wedge I've ever used. I have a 64 bent down to 62 and the sole feels perfect. It's incredibly versatile and has replaced my Ping ES 60. My wedges now go 50.5, 55, 62. I've had no gapping issues and rarely make a full swing with the 62. The 55 is a Milled Grind 54 SB bent 1 degree week. These wedges are as good or better than any out there IMO.

In terms of results, I've been playing well. My buddy and I qualified for the State Four Ball last week shooting 72. We both bogied the same 2 holes and also birdied the same 2. The main event is next week at Rumson CC. Yesterday I played in our club's Director's Cup qualifier and another buddy and I shot 63 net (he's an 8 hc) and we were medalists.

I'm the captain of our GAP team (Golf Association of Philadelphia inter-club matches) this year and won my first match playing in the #1 spot away. We are leading our division and today is match #2, so hopefully can keep it going.

Chris (Gamble_Gamble) came over to my club to play in our regular game on Friday. We had a real competitive match and were down 3 and 1 after 9. I shot 38 on the front but after pressing the match and all of my indies turned it around and shot 3 under in the back for 71 which won our match, the group throw-in and 2 scats(???)! Chris was great and chipped in for birdie on #15 which got us a fist-full of junk. He also went home with a Pickle...lol (dont ask)!

Again, I can't say enough about my M3 driver and the Hi Toe wedge. My results have been great and I am a TwistFace believer! ?

Let me start by saying Dewey’s course is very challenging yet fair for all parts of the bag. From driver to putter you are going to face shots that raise your stress level.

With that being said, Dewey is a stone-cold, eye-of-the-tiger killer on the course. He lipped out at least 5 putts and still shot Even, while going 3 under on the back 9 to get us out of the red and into the money. This guy’s game also travels. One of the TM reps said they get a bunch of guys who claim to be low single digit handicaps that go on to shoot 91 at Aviara. Dewey shot his handicap at Aviara but unfortunately I was playing against him at there.

The pickle2 is now in the bag and it works from everywhere, from the fairway to a soupy mud lie. Thanks for everything Dewey.

Us Twistface East coasters should try to get a round somewhere soon.

Equipment Updates:

P790s are working well for me

M3 Driver has been accurate enough but there’s a glitch somewhere in my swing because I’ve lost some distance over the past week or so.

High Toe is great but I need to do what Dewey said and open the face while engaging the bounce more.

M3 Hybrid out (too upright) ... Pickle is in play.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I haven't had a horrible winter like a lot of the guys on the trip. The past 2 weeks have actually been downright delightful. That being said, my game has NOT been delightful. Something has gone absolutely wrong with my swing. I can't hit my irons for s@#t.

M4 - Still going strong. I'm able to swing confidently with it, even on tight courses.

M3 Fairway - This thing is a rocket launcher. It's easy to elevate from the turf. (For some reason I'm not hitting it well off the tee.) My minor complaint is that with the soft turf here in Seattle I end up with a ton of dirt in the weight track. I'd had to use a repair tool to try to clean it out on course. When I get home I actually remove the weight to get all the grass and mud out.

M4 hybrids - These are gold. They are hands down the best hybrids I have ever hit. Very easy to get the ball up in the air. Very straight. Very long. I don't think I have ever had this high a level of confidence with a hybrid. Ever.

P790s - I had some swingweight issues since I ordered my irons 1/2" short. I slapped a ton of lead tape on them and they finally feel weighted nicely. My swing has abandoned me when it comes to my irons. I don't feel right giving an opinion on these. When I make a good swing I get a good outcome. Unfortunately, most of my swings have been bad with these.

Hi-Toe - This wedge is easy to manipulate. The grind has been great for our turf conditions here whether it is from the fairway or out of the rough. My sand game has always been decent and this wedge delivers. No issues so far. I played with it in some bright sunshine and was surprised at how much glare I got from it. I'm used to black or raw wedges so the glare isnt something I have faced before. Definitely not a deal breaker.

IF I could just get my iron game squared away I think this season could be a real winner for me.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

The M3 woods are fully locked in. The fw has become a completely different animal with the shaft change. The sound and feel is so good. First fw I've been totally confident in.

The control I have with these heads with the Atmos shafts both has been amazing. My friend that I play a few times a week with recently commented he hasn't seen my ugly miss left in a long time. I can't remember the last time it happened.

My fitter suggested a shaft change though out the bag and I'm getting the same control with them. Meeting Perry was big. :)

I thought I may be back to Vokeys in the gap and sw by now but the MG wedges get better each time out. There was an adjustment period, literally since the loft and lies were off, but ever since I had them tweaked, the results have been great. The Hi Toe is a beast.

The M3 woods are fully locked in. The fw has become a completely different animal with the shaft change. The sound and feel is so good. First fw I've been totally confident in.

The control I have with these heads with the Atmos shafts both has been amazing. My friend that I play a few times a week with recently commented he hasn't seen my ugly miss left in a long time. I can't remember the last time it happened.

My fitter suggested a shaft change though out the bag and I'm getting the same control with them. Meeting Perry was big. :)

I thought I may be back to Vokeys in the gap and sw by now but the MG wedges get better each time out. There was an adjustment period, literally since the loft and lies were off, but ever since I had them tweaked, the results have been great. The Hi Toe is a beast.

Yea...

TM isn't really thought of as a great wedge company but I think they've got some of the best in the business with their Milled Grind and Hi Toe various options. I don't know anyone who hasn't really liked their Milled Grinds (except maybe some complaints about sun glare) and the Hi Toe is so freakin' versatile.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

was the loft too weak on your wedge originally?

No play except another range session or two prior to heading out of town for 5 days for some family fun but no golf. Come home and head out again the following morning for my 1st golf trip of 2018.

Thus far, my swing had been poor and it hadn’t warranted any on course reviews. It just wouldnt be fair to the clubs. Barring something crazy, the TM M4 driver, 3 and hybrids will be in the bag as will the hi toe.

Here’s hoping the swing comes back and I can again contribute to this thread.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Thankful you gave the TM the bonding time and shaft needed. It's the perfect setup for you and your swing. A true weapon now. Absolutely the best ball flight and consistency I have seen in years from you. Although... I'm a little bummed I won't get to buy anymore FW woods from you at huge discounted rates. Dang! Way to mess up my supply chain Taylormade Perry! lol

was the loft too weak on your wedge originally?

Yes and one was really flat.

• 1 month later...

I finally feel like i am dialed in with this driver. It now seems to be longer than my G30 and easier to fade when needed.

I tried moving the weights again recently. There's no doubt I'm giving up yards playing the weights back and split. I hit a drive on Tuesday with both weights forward that was longer than any other I've hit on that hole the past 12 years there. It's hard leaving yards on the table but it's just so forgiving with the weights back and it's still as long or longer than anything else I've played. I like the sound and feel better with them back as well. It changed a lot with the weights up.

The M3 fw has been damn near as good for me. Could not be happier with the top of the bag. I've played about 70 rounds since January and spent a lot of time on the range. Both heads have shown little to no wear. The driver head still looks brand new.

I want thank Jory again for putting me with Perry, the TM fitter I worked with. It was a driver fitting but he did the full bag for me. I listened on the woods and wedges right away (instant success) but held off on the irons. I let things I've read or heard in the past influence me rather than trust it. Just dumb on my part. If you're lucky enough to have someone as talented as Perry fit you, forget everything you think you already know and roll with it.

Not to threadjack, but what app is that you're using?

Arccos 360 - i highly recommend it, even though i somehow just deleted all of my historical data.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been out pretty regularly now that the weather is nice. I'm getting more distance out of my M4 than I was with my XR16. I think the distance comes down to the shaft fitting me better than what I had previously, AND I'm much more confident when I'm about to tee off. I'm finding at least 1-2 more fairways per round than I did last season. As a higher handicapper I still have some drives that just plain suck, but I don't think there is a driver on the planet that could save those.

While I like the M4 driver, the biggest upgrades for me were to the 3w and hybrids. The M3 3w HL is really easy to get going. The head frames the ball perfectly for me at address. The m4 hybrids are stupid easy to hit. They just get up in the air quick and want to keep going.

Hopefully I figure out my iron game so that my success in the middle of my bag matches the success at the top of my bag.

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link