Monte's way, anyone here following it who has had success.

Hi,

Im looking for anybody who purchased monte's video's or who has used his "style" via you tube or maybe coaching who is willing to help me.

I feel there must be something I have missed, I have worked threw his drive for dough series and have had some of the best golf rounds of my life, but then 2 weeks go by and I just go back to being dog s*** again.

I want to stick to the ways he teaches but unfortunately he hasn't got online coaching set up as yet.

I primarily still fight bad contact and a slice with my longer clubs. I tend to focus on a good shoulder turn and "perfect back swing" as described in the drive for dough video series which makes it very simple i then try and race my right elbow to my belly and just let the rest take care of it self.

If someone is willing to analyze my swing ( Which also uses Monte's techniques etc ) I would really appreciate any feedback

Steven

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken pieces of his videos and incorporated parts into my current game. Some others I had working well for a time but I think I started exaggerated it after a while and cut it back. But that kind of goes for all instruction if you don't work with a coach for us self-learners.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

His stuff is gold....the key is sticking with it (which is true regardless of who you work with). To paraphrase something he says a lot....improvement is not linear, there will be peaks and valleys along the way but as long as the overall trend is up, you are on the right track. I can certainly attest to this. It's easy to give up after a couple of bad rounds but if you stick with it you will improve as long as what you are working on/your interpretation of his lessons is correct. No disrespect to any other instructors on here but I won't work with anyone else.

I thought he mentioned a while ago that if you email him he can do online lessons, though I could be wrong. I see you're in South Africa so traveling to see him may be difficult but while online is certainly beneficial, in person is always best at least for me anyway.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

First off, Drive for Dough is great. Lots of good info. But if you’re trying to rebuild your swing on you’re own, there’s just too much there.

Having watched almost everything on his you tube channel a couple years ago, i had learned a lot. But it wasn’t until seeing him in person, did I feel like I made a big stride in my ability. I attribute it to a couple of things: (a) Getting clarification on ideas. sometimes it’s easy to think you understand something from a video but really you’re mis interpreting it, (b) Focus. Getting direct feedback about where you need to work on first is a huge benefit. I’d say the best part of the Monte “method” for me is the idea that my swing has half a dozen or more flaws, but there’s one or two that lead to the others. It’s easy to self diagnose multiple problems, but finding the root cause is important and sequencing your effort in the right order is not always easy to self diagnose.

Get to one of the clinics if there’s one close to you this summer. If not, take some videos and contact him by email. I’m sure he wouldn’t turn down an online review/lesson.

Ye I really like his video's and I definitely don't want to seek other advice I just feel I am missing something and maybe someone who follows the same coach will be able to point it out.

Ye traveling to the US will mean I would have to sell my house so its not really a option haha.

He said online coaching will be part of his online platform soon, but not sure when that will be.

His stuff is gold....the key is sticking with it (which is true regardless of who you work with). To paraphrase something he says a lot....improvement is not linear, there will be peaks and valleys along the way but as long as the overall trend is up, you are on the right track. I can certainly attest to this. It's easy to give up after a couple of bad rounds but if you stick with it you will improve as long as what you are working on/your interpretation of his lessons is correct. No disrespect to any other instructors on here but I won't work with anyone else.

I thought he mentioned a while ago that if you email him he can do online lessons, though I could be wrong. I see you're in South Africa so traveling to see him may be difficult but while online is certainly beneficial, in person is always best at least for me anyway.

Interpret the lesson? Improvement isnt linear?

Not so if you know what your doing.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Here we go. Get your popcorn ready.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

While I would normally be all over this as I was last time.....I'm too tired to take the bait this time. Besides, roasted golf "pro" isn't a part of my diet now that I'm hitting the gym again. Too many carbs.

While I would normally be all over this as I was last time.....I'm too tired to take the bait this time. Besides, roasted golf "pro" isn't a part of my diet now that I'm hitting the gym again. Too many carbs.

We’ve been to this dance before. I don’t think anyone is going to bite this time.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I just attended his three day camp and in a way it was like watching his video in person. I've watched his videos hundreds of times they are worth it. I just shot my lowest round in a money gamei; with stiff 16mph winds and a lot of it was due to the three day camp. I highly recommend his videos and even more so live lessons.

As a side note....I highly recommend taking notes...did it this year and it really is helpful to have something to go back and reference. I have been a part of a lot of clinics/lessons and the simplicity with how he explains things is great. Plus the numerous smart*** comments are a welcome bonus lol.

It’s also easy to overdo any feel. You may have gone too far exaggerating a certain move. Post a video.

In my experience, getting people to do anything differently, at all, is a nightmare. There's hope for those who overdue, at least. When people start doing something the 'right way', at first, they're not very good at it. Early attempts aren't even right. They're just failed attempts. Later on, they're closer to the right method, but they're the wrong amount. Rather than guessing what the right amount is, I think people would be better off were they to be able to do the method both too little and too much. From there, they can put something in the middle. 'Just right' is going to be somewhere in there, so now they can cut down on the possibilities, by half, by figuring out if 'just right' lies between the middle and too little, or the middle and too much. From there, they can repeat the process until they narrow it down to that which works very well.

Monte’s a genius.

I think the most amazing thing is that he hasn’t punched me in the face.

I think online lesson from him would be very helpful. I see you are like me, relatively higher handicap. I think the hard part about drive for dough is picking the part that will help you and focusing on that part. Trying to absorb too much at one time is not good for higher handicaps.

Basically every time i think i can fix it myself, i regret it.

Much better to avoid frustration and email.

But for the first like five times i saw him, it would be the same thing over and over. And i swear to god that i practiced like crazy to get rid of old swing faults. I took copious notes. I filmed it as well. I told my skilled friends what i was working on and to keep an eye on it to make sure i didn’t regress.

But after maybe four years, some of the changes are starting to stick. For the first time in 10 years, I’ve been in first place in men’s league for any week, but now for three weeks straight (flighted). My misses are better, my good shots are better, my confidence is better. Handicap at all time low. Pretty much all due to Monte patiently and repeatedly helping me. Before Monte over 25 years, i probably saw 15 instructors and got lessons at least monthly and never got better. If he told me walking on fire would help my swing, i might not do it, but i would believe him. :)

Ye i come to realize after watching one of his you tube video's he explains that people should treat a golf swing more like a diet where you should stick to the same strict routine for at least a month ( obvs longer just using a example ) before expecting any sort of results, I think i have been doing exactly what he says and as soon as i don't see decent results i start jumping around and never really get anywhere.

Ive decided to stick to the no turn cast drill and make that my golf swing, ill post a video here over the weekend and stick to just doing that the rest of the month and see how my golf is going then. Doesnt help I chop and change and every week my golf swing looks different, I should rather start building from a point.

Thanks for the comments and feeback, much appreciated.

Regardless of teacher/method, if you want to change your swing you either need to video every session you are doing, check each shot on camera/tablet/phone after you hit it. Or you need to have a pro watch you. I don't think it is possible to make big changes by yourself without checking every single swing, because you cant see what you are doing.

for example I have been working on getting my hands higher in the backswing for the last 2 years, at the range this weekend I took my camera to check progress, to me it feels like the hands are much higher, but on camera no change... if I videoed every shot and watched it back I would see this

Been "converting" to Monte's methods over the past year or so. Really noticing better dispersion of my miss hits and range of yardarge (front to back) with each club.

The initial tracnsition from my old method to his took some time but once I got over the hump I really noticed a difference. Just stick with it and try not to make too many changes at once.

funny, i watched Clement videos religiously and Waldon's...after 4 Monte videos i realized he covers, improves their teachings without much fanfare...and he has a nice swing.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Paging Schnee, Paging Schnee... You're needed in the Operating room.....

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

I had a video lesson with Monte to try him out. He actually nailed the top two issues resulting in my then inconsistency. For one, the fix was right on. For the other, it was a reaction to something else he didn't pick up on. Unfortunately, the cause of both issues were not explained in a way where I understood the solution. So, it didn't really help at the time. Although completely independently, I analyzed and fixed it myself, thought it was a huge breakthrough, then realized Monte mentioned it to me two years prior. Re-watching the videos, it was obvious what he was trying to communicate. User error probably. Also goes to show that for me, instruction dosesn't really help that much. I have to figure it out myself or it doesn't click or stay. My new swing changes I have done myself have transformed my swing and game.

I don't follow internet teachers. But I have one of Monte's videos. There's two things I value from a teacher: when they follow what they preach and when they keep it simple without bells and whistles. Plus the guy has an awesome classic swing and he can hit the ball. Perhaps these are Monte's best assets. My all time coach is like that so it's pleasing to learn and improve with a guy like that. And they'll never sell snake oil, they'll teach you the stuff and then they'll tell you to practice as much as you can.

A lot of adults however like the magical tip and the loads of hard data on how to play well. For this type of golfer Monte may not be enough.

I wanted to add something as well that I think goes overlooked....He isn't the type of guy who is going to promise that you will hit it 20 extra yards if you practice what he teaches like Haney or Rick Smith or some of the big names. He doesn't go on here touting how good he is or how much he knows. He lets his knowledge and results speak for themselves. He knows he's good but he isn't going to tell you....Gotta respect a guy like that.

Post your swing videos here. You’re already a client, and most likely he’ll give you some advice right here.

Monte’s MO is to try and figure out which descriptions will take hold and make sense. Durning an all day lesson we had, we searched and searched for the right key/feel which would make the difference. When we found it everything became more simple. He’s not a “method” guy. Stick with it and you’ll see benefits.