SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

I have only ever played a few holes with a MTB Red (yellow) so can't really say about the MTB Black. Still got a couple more of the Red so I'll give it a better trial first opportunity.

Sorry not to have anything to report!

P.S. I do have a fairly strong preference for yellow balls so I'd certainly HOPE the MTB Red works better for me ;-)

Here is a test write up with some numbers, almost no difference in driver spin for him between Black and Red. In my unscientific testing, Red seems to move more right or left, and also rides the wind more than Black, which would imply more spin.

https://practical-golf.com/snell-golf-mtb-red-black-review/

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

I don't mean to sound critical, but a small suggestion..

All print on the MTB Black should be Black

All print on the MTB Red should be Red

...more logical that way.

I saw your hats today, a Black hat and a Red hat...both with "MTB Black" printed on the side.

Red deserves it's own identity!

Just kidding - it is your company, not mine...maybe I am just too anal.

great comments.. let me share with you why I did this.. for the hats, we do have RED hats coming in with MTB RED on the side.. New Era did not ship them with this order, and have sent us notice they are to be shipped in May.. the Maroon hats, as well as other colors we may have, can have MTB BLACK or MTB RED on them.. like if we have a Grey hat, this could be either, or maybe even both.. so the maroon is not to be confused as being the RED, or MTB RED hat... that is coming.. maybe having it available now did make it a bit confusing since RED is not there..

For the golf balls and colors... In golf, over the years, RED numbers have always meant lower compression, or softer in feel... The reason I did not put a black number on the MTB BLACK is because this ball has a nice, lower compression softer feel... so the perception of a black number (meaning 100 compression to some) is not the reality of the ball.. so figured, since balls are bought in dozen boxes and sleeves, and shipped to your homes, the numbers are not really seen until the ball is played.. so if you happen to find one out there, and saw the black number, people tend to think it is 100 compression not knowing anything about the ball.. that is why I put the RED number on the MTB BLACK.. hope this helps and makes sense...i chose the performance of the ball to match the number, not the name of the ball to match the number...but appreciate the feedback, as always...

I remember when black numbers meant 100 compression balls and red numbers were 90's, but I think that was a whole different era. I'm pretty sure you are rewriting the book of how balls are designed and marketed, so you are entitled to make a statement and use black numbers for your MTB Black and red numbers for your MTB Red. Establishment (Titleist) be damned. ;)

Great article! Just have to wait for the new MTBs to show up here in Canada!? :to_become_senile:

Dean, any word on timing of Canada distribution?

Thanks,

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

The U.S. has the blacks and reds

and I have got the blues

Won't ship me no damn golf balls

That I can lose

All these great products

I wish I could try

But nobody gonna ship me some

makes me wanna cry

I am up here willing to pay

So what can I say...

I got the Canadian Distribution Blues

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I don't mean to sound critical, but a small suggestion..

All print on the MTB Black should be Black

All print on the MTB Red should be Red

...more logical that way.

I saw your hats today, a Black hat and a Red hat...both with "MTB Black" printed on the side.

Red deserves it's own identity!

Just kidding - it is your company, not mine...maybe I am just too anal.

great comments.. let me share with you why I did this.. for the hats, we do have RED hats coming in with MTB RED on the side.. New Era did not ship them with this order, and have sent us notice they are to be shipped in May.. the Maroon hats, as well as other colors we may have, can have MTB BLACK or MTB RED on them.. like if we have a Grey hat, this could be either, or maybe even both.. so the maroon is not to be confused as being the RED, or MTB RED hat... that is coming.. maybe having it available now did make it a bit confusing since RED is not there..

For the golf balls and colors... In golf, over the years, RED numbers have always meant lower compression, or softer in feel... The reason I did not put a black number on the MTB BLACK is because this ball has a nice, lower compression softer feel... so the perception of a black number (meaning 100 compression to some) is not the reality of the ball.. so figured, since balls are bought in dozen boxes and sleeves, and shipped to your homes, the numbers are not really seen until the ball is played.. so if you happen to find one out there, and saw the black number, people tend to think it is 100 compression not knowing anything about the ball.. that is why I put the RED number on the MTB BLACK.. hope this helps and makes sense...i chose the performance of the ball to match the number, not the name of the ball to match the number...but appreciate the feedback, as always...

I remember when black numbers meant 100 compression balls and red numbers were 90's, but I think that was a whole different era. I'm pretty sure you are rewriting the book of how balls are designed and marketed, so you are entitled to make a statement and use black numbers for your MTB Black and red numbers for your MTB Red. Establishment (Titleist) be damned. ;)

I can't really believe it but I'm old enough to remember "black is 100, red is 90". What a bummer. :(

Rogue Tensei White
TSi2 15* Tensei White
TSi2 18* Tensei White
TSi2 21* Tensei White
G425 5 - LW AWT 2.0
Seemore mFGP

The U.S. has the blacks and reds

and I have got the blues

Won't ship me no damn golf balls

That I can lose

All these great products

I wish I could try

But nobody gonna ship me some

makes me wanna cry

I am up here willing to pay

So what can I say...

Maybe we cannot get the products over the wall?

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

I was told maybe May?! They are waiting for the boat(delivery) to arrive, I think?

Yes...they have ordered them and waiting on the delivery... some minor issues in shipping, but it is moving again and on the way... It looks like the delivery is scheduled for the week of May 20th.... so I would expect to see them up on the Canada site during that week, or close to that date...

I was told maybe May?! They are waiting for the boat(delivery) to arrive, I think?

Yes...they have ordered them and waiting on the delivery... some minor issues in shipping, but it is moving again and on the way... It looks like the delivery is scheduled for the week of May 20th.... so I would expect to see them up on the Canada site during that week, or close to that date...

Canadian blues got the momentum....

So looks like end of May?! Good thing I have a dz. Tru Softs left over from last yr. to use in the mean time.

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Blacks were great today in my first round with them. VERY NICE feeling ball especially off the driver. Also had some nice action around the greens.

Only one round but I'm impressed.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I played 9 with each again today but swapped the 9”s from last time. Scored better again with the reds.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I ordered and just received my dozen Reds. Inside the package was a thank you note from Dean. Thanks Dean!

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I ordered and just received my dozen Reds. Inside the package was a thank you note from Dean. Thanks Dean!

He still does that. Wow!

Getting ready to order a test pack.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I can't really believe it but I'm old enough to remember "black is 100, red is 90". What a bummer. :(

I must be older than most here, I remember when:

• Black brand name & number was 100
  • Black name & red number was 90
  • Red name & number was 80, and only played by women.

And the only clubs that had blue heads, grips or anything else on them were women's clubs.

I just played these balls for the first time today (Black) and I was impressed. It seemed to perform very similar to a ProV1 for me. It had nice feel, good length, and what appears to be similar spin. The only negative was that the cover seemed to scuff a little more easily than the ProV1 or Chrome Soft or Bridgestone; this was a minor difference. I would definitely play this ball, rather than spending $12 more per dozen to play one of the big brand names for what amounts to similar performance for me.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I just played these balls for the first time today (Black) and I was impressed. It seemed to perform very similar to a ProV1 for me. It had nice feel, good length, and what appears to be similar spin. The only negative was that the cover seemed to scuff a little more easily than the ProV1 or Chrome Soft or Bridgestone; this was a minor difference. I would definitely play this ball, rather than spending $12 more per dozen to play one of the big brand names for what amounts to similar performance for me.

Interesting. I tried a Tour B X this weekend and shredded that in a few spots after only 4 holes. ProV's, TP5/X or the Snell I have not had that issue with.

Interesting. I tried a Tour B X this weekend and shredded that in a few spots after only 4 holes. ProV's, TP5/X or the Snell I have not had that issue with.

+1. I used several dozen original Snell MTB’s last year without any scuffing or discoloration issues, so I’m not expecting issues with Reds or Blacks. Sure they’ll mark if you hit a cart path like any decent ball, but otherwise they’ve held up well for me.

+1. I used several dozen original Snell MTB's last year without any scuffing or discoloration issues, so I'm not expecting issues with Reds or Blacks. Sure they'll mark if you hit a cart path like any decent ball, but otherwise they've held up well for me.

the cover on the MTB and the MTB BLACK are the same urethane cover.. so the durability of the cover should be the same.. and when the core compression is lowered, like we did on MTB BLACK, that typically helps with the overall ball cover durability as well... but in general, they should be very similar..

Played another round with the blacks today. It is a great ball. I really liked the original MTB and the black seems to be better in all areas. I have some reds to test too but I think they are going to have a tough time beating out the blacks. Great work Dean!

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Callaway Paradym

5 wood: TaylorMade Stealth+

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 4-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Odyssey AI-ONE 7S

Ball: Titleist ProV1x