Houston, TX Golf?

j.b.newton

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long you in town for? If you want to play one of the best Links courses in Texas ( Magnolia Creek ) shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out. My work schedule should allow it.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Not BBQ but for some solid Tex mex walk over to Irma's original. No BBQ places downtown I would recommend.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

I moved to Houston in January from Orlando. In Orlando I played every weekend on pretty decent course for under $30. Since moving to Houston, I have play exactly ZERO rounds. As a matter of fact, the only golf I have played is when I returned to Orlando for my son's High School graduation. I find golf in Houston to be very expensive and inaccessible. I live in NW Houston by Champions Forest. There are two private tracks there. I can't justify the cost.

In FL, I was an active member of the Florida Golf Association. It was fantastic. They have competitive one day golf outings almost every day of the week, that allowed you to play at very nice tracks, including many private ones. The TX golf association does not offer that. I played a lot of competitive golf in FL, and I really miss it. Fortunately I still get to practice. The range is grass, but the balls are limited flight, so it is not ideal.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

I moved to Houston in January from Orlando. In Orlando I played every weekend on pretty decent course for under $30. Since moving to Houston, I have play exactly ZERO rounds. As a matter of fact, the only golf I have played is when I returned to Orlando for my son's High School graduation. I find golf in Houston to be very expensive and inaccessible. I live in NW Houston by Champions Forest. There are two private tracks there. I can't justify the cost.

In FL, I was an active member of the Florida Golf Association. It was fantastic. They have competitive one day golf outings almost every day of the week, that allowed you to play at very nice tracks, including many private ones. The TX golf association does not offer that. I played a lot of competitive golf in FL, and I really miss it. Fortunately I still get to practice. The range is grass, but the balls are limited flight, so it is not ideal.

Plenty of golf options, just have to bear the heat and play in the heat......golf under $30 during early weekend hours isn't happening not even at GOAT tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

Not BBQ but for some solid Tex mex walk over to Irma's original. No BBQ places downtown I would recommend.

Great suggestion. I ate there twice and lone star taco's too. In fact, I think I only ate Tex-Mex for the 3 days I was there.

Great to hear you enjoyed it. We used to walk there when I worked downtown in Houston. The old house and no menu throws you off the first time you go, but the food and strawberry lemonade has always been worth going.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Great suggestion. I ate there twice and lone star taco's too. In fact, I think I only ate Tex-Mex for the 3 days I was there.

Great to hear you enjoyed it. We used to walk there when I worked downtown in Houston. The old house and no menu throws you off the first time you go, but the food and strawberry lemonade has always been worth going.

I walked in and sat at the bar and the guy looked at me like I was nuts for asking for a menu. He directed me to the board, and all was good.

• 9 months later...

Since I moved to Houston from Wisconsin, I too play less because of the cost to quality ratio. Golf is way more expensive in Houston, and more tracks are private.

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy

• 2 weeks later...

This is something that’s bugged me about bigger Texas cities in general. Public courses are harder to come by that don’t have issues with greens, upkeep, or traffic. Austin is a little better, but Houston requires a drive anywhere to get a round in. I play Tour 18 down the street when I can get a deal on it.

This is something that’s bugged me about bigger Texas cities in general. Public courses are harder to come by that don’t have issues with greens, upkeep, or traffic. Austin is a little better, but Houston requires a drive anywhere to get a round in. I play Tour 18 down the street when I can get a deal on it.

I like Tour18.

As the saying goes in Houston. It takes you 45 minutes just to brush your teeth. The closest non private golf course to me is Cypress Lakes. It is 12 miles away, yet takes 35 minutes to get to. My average commute to play golf is between 45-1:10.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

The problem with most big cities, like Houston, is that the down town business area is far from where people live - hence, no golf courses in the area.

Unfortunately, younger folks don't seem overly into golf and some of the better private courses have closed for lack of business.

Memorial Park, Herman Park, and Wildcat GC and are the only public courses within 20 miles of down town Houston - several private courses though.

Memorial is long and difficult to get on, Herman is short and sporty, Wildcat has 2 courses built on a land fill with elevation changes (rare in Houston)

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 2 years later...
On 6/22/2017 at 8:19 AM, golfnhack said:

I know this is an older post but I completely agree.  We moved to the greater Houston area in July 2017 from SoCal and there is no contest between the quality and availability of public golf between the two areas.  I was a men's club member at Tukwet Canyon in Banning, CA.  36 hole facility that hosts a Symetra event every year and hosted the California State Open in 2015.  $55 on weekends.  Terrific tracks.  Across the road was Oak Valley.  Has hosted sectional US Open qualifying numerous times.  Used to play this for $45 on Sundays.  All terrific, truly championship golf courses.  But now?  Cinco Ranch wants $79 on weekends for a run of the mill community course with 18 thoroughly unmemorable holes.  Meadowbrook Farms wants $80+ for their Greg Norman design that is just ok and went through a period recently where they lost control of the greens for at least a whole season and the bunkers had literally no sand in them.  Not kidding.  To their credit they redid all the bunkers recently and the greens have improved somewhat.  La Quinta at Quali Valley - I guarantee there's not a pin placement on any hole on that track that you won't have to putt through a diseased area.  It's depressing.  

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX