Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

I still think they are defective. For no one else including myself having this issue, I don't buy it. I've had mine for about a year which has included some time in a hot trunk.

Unless yours have been exposed to very humid weather for a long period of time, but still seems unlikely. Just surprised mizuno did not take care of this for you.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think they are defective. For no one else including myself having this issue, I don't buy it. I've had mine for about a year which has included some time in a hot trunk.

Unless yours have been exposed to very humid weather for a long period of time, but still seems unlikely. Just surprised mizuno did not take care of this for you.

The paint is a design feature. All HM's are like that and all will chip if allowed to bang into one another. There is nothing Mizuno can "take care" of in regards to this and the clubs are not defective.

As to why Mizuno choose to paint the back cavity I'm not sure. I suspect it's because the chrome can't get into all the nooks and crannies inside the cavity so they felt that some extra corrosion protection is needed, thus the paint.

You could try carefully applying some paint stripper to the chipped areas to remove the rest of the paint, but be warned, if you get it on the plastic cavity badge it will melt the plastic.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

The paint is a design feature. All HM's are like that and all will chip if allowed to bang into one another. There is nothing Mizuno can "take care" of in regards to this and the clubs are not defective.

As to why Mizuno choose to paint the back cavity I'm not sure. I suspect it's because the chrome can't get into all the nooks and crannies inside the cavity so they felt that some extra corrosion protection is needed, thus the paint.

You could try carefully applying some paint stripper to the chipped areas to remove the rest of the paint, but be warned, if you get it on the plastic cavity badge it will melt the plastic.

I guess defective was the wrong word to use. I don't think there is anything wrong with them other than something must have went wrong during the painting/plating process for this to happen. Everyone's clubs receives bag chatter.

I went to our club's Demo Day last night and tried several 'thinner irons' and fell in love with how I was hitting (must have hit 50 balls and only 2 bad hits) with the Callaway Apex Pro forged, such a thin top line, I felt I could put it behind the ball each time and much less turf interaction than my JPX900 HM's. Sorry to say, I'm going to put my HM's up for sale and use the proceeds towards the Apex Pro's. Also, I hit them best in the XP-105/stiff irons as opposed to the XP-95's, and for kicks I had the fellow switch me out a graphite shaft....the highest weight he had was a 85-gm Recoil F4, and my hits with that shaft were 'soft like butter'.....but I didn't think they went as far as the steel. I want to try them in the 95/110 version. There is no stopping me now, it was like night and day hitting those Apex's. They had the Rogue Pro, but the top line was fatter :-(

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

• 4 weeks later...

I went the opposite way. I´ve played the JPX 900 forged last saison with mediocre results especially in the long irons although I think I am not a bad iron player. Then a couple of weeks ago Í read in a posting here that even low single hcpers play the HM with succes (thank you Golfwrx!). So without thinking any further or testing I bought a set at my golfshop. OK I took some risk with no testing but this was the best decision I ´ve ever made in golf up to now. Absolutely no more issues with the long Irons. I first had the intention to mix the sets, long irons HM, short irons forged. But I read so many positive reviews on the short irons that I bought the whole set (4-PW) and I must say, that the short irons play fantastic. Same distance as the forged (they are imo not longer than the forged but slightly higher), but I ´ve found they are much straighter and they are very forgiving indeed. I can't understand why some here claim that the forged are as forgiving as the HM. They aren't, at least not in the long irons. I am really impressed. I play the HM with the recoil (due to some shoulder issues) a fantastic shaft as well, compared to my KBS tour. I would recommend everyone, as long as you are not a scratch player, to play the most forgiving clubs you can find. Why make (golf)-life difficult?

Callaway Rogue Max st  - 9°
Callaway Rogue Max st - FW 3 HL - 16,5°
Callaway Hybrid 4 - 20°
Callaway Rogue St pro 5-AW
Titleist SM 9 52° / 56°
Scotty Cameron M1 
Bridgestone B330 RX

There's two factors that could be at play here. On one side, you have the egomaniacs who will say "forged" or "blades" REGARDLESS of how they perform. It's just in their make up and are generally the type of people who justify a short, horrible slice or toe as being a "true" shot.

The other side and vast majority of people perform differently and you need to remember that. You could give me anyway Callaway club (blade, cavity back, GI) and I would say I hit it terribly. Not because I did but mentally I can't go them at all. I've never enjoyed the feel or sound of their clubs. I hit the CF16's as well during testing (and a bit further) than the HM's. But I LOVE the HM's. I'll find anything to say they're better than similar clubs. The look. The sound. The feel. All very subjective. But I wanted the HM's.

Same thing applies here. Some people wanted the 900F's. They might not know it but they will be picking out small positives and in their mind, they are the better club.

Different strokes. No one can deny how good the 900 range was from Mizuno though. Even the hybrid is a cannon.

I flew home to NY to catch a few rounds with Dad, I leave a set of MP 57s there with a similar hybrid wood setup. Amazing how hard my old clubs were to hit compared to my hot metals. I think they’re an excellent product

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

If looking for a true GI set coming from players' irons, 900 HM's are definitely worth a look. I think the HM's are great looking for a GI iron, and I've tried a ton of different sets over the past several seasons. Not too big to look too clunky, but big enough to inspire plenty of confidence. I am giving both the MP-T5 and S5 wedges a run to pair with the HM's.

e3f59676ba3a7efa89890253e0a1401d.jpg

86e1b9a068bf7ead83d5180f651bde1f.jpg

Love the look of that bag! I'll be getting my Hot Metals soon and also have the MP-T5 wedges, awesome

Love the look of that bag! I'll be getting my Hot Metals soon and also have the MP-T5 wedges, awesome

Very funny (and a bit eery) that you quoted this post of mine today. Funny, because while that bag did look great, in true WRX fashion, it did not last long, and I've probably played like 5+ sets of irons since that post a little over a year ago... I actually got rid of like 5 irons sets just today.

Eery, in that I literally ordered another set of used 900 HM's today to give another go (this time with the better fit Modus Tour 105 S, instead of Modus Tour 105 R).

Ironically, after playing a bunch of those different iron sets last season and early this season, I recently put my G30 irons back in the bag, and it was sort of like coming home. I always played well with the G30's, and did not take them out for any good reason. So anyway, I am back with the G30's for now and feeling good, and will have some fun trying the 900 HM's again when they arrive, and will surely be a doofus and bounce around to other sets like usual instead of leaving well enough alone.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

Very funny (and a bit eery) that you quoted this post of mine today. Funny, because while that bag did look great, in true WRX fashion, it did not last long, and I've probably played like 5+ sets of irons since that post a little over a year ago... I actually got rid of like 5 irons sets just today.

Eery, in that I literally ordered another set of used 900 HM's today to give another go (this time with the better fit Modus Tour 105 S, instead of Modus Tour 105 R).

Ironically, after playing a bunch of those different iron sets last season and early this season, I recently put my G30 irons back in the bag, and it was sort of like coming home. I always played well with the G30's, and did not take them out for any good reason. So anyway, I am back with the G30's for now and feeling good, and will have some fun trying the 900 HM's again when they arrive, and will surely be a doofus and bounce around to other sets like usual instead of leaving well enough alone.

That is kinda strange :) Hope you enjoy the Hot Metals 2nd time around, and or whatever you slip into the bag, good golfing :)

As for the sand and lob wedge, I think most folks go with specialty wedges for those, aka RTX 3, vokey etc. If set happens to have a good sand and lob in the set I would just see that as a plus, but never something I expect.

I think you're 100% correct, I used to play MP-59's, which I loved, but never liked the PW, SW so that's when I first went to specialty wedges and have ever since, which by the way are MP-T5's :)

Yesterday I had one of those “hot spot” moments where I had accounted for a certain yardage with my 6 iron. I even had to factor in extra yardage because I needed to turn it over around some trees. Well the shot came of exactly as I wanted it to. My playing partner had pulled his approach way to the left into the trees. We came to the green and saw a ball 10 feet to the left of the hole that we both assumed was my shot. We tried looking through the trees but didn’t see his ball. He dropped and played another ball to the green. Sure enough, we came to the green and the ball 10 feet away was his first ball. I found my ball some 30 feet past the green ( I probably landed on the downslope beyond the green) on a bare patch of dried out earth. So now I had to try and play a ball through the rough on a bare hard lie to a downhill fast green. All that from a pured second shot. That moment has me seriously considering putting my old Snake Eyes back in the bag for today’s round to see how much different the distance control really is with them. I will most certainly give up some yardage but at this point I would gladly give that up to not have that pured flyer put me in an impossible spot again on a good shot.

As for the sand and lob wedge, I think most folks go with specialty wedges for those, aka RTX 3, vokey etc. If set happens to have a good sand and lob in the set I would just see that as a plus, but never something I expect.

I think you're 100% correct, I used to play MP-59's, which I loved, but never liked the PW, SW so that's when I first went to specialty wedges and have ever since, which by the way are MP-T5's :)

I've stuck with the set PW, SW and GW this time round believe it or not. I have some S18's on order though in 54 & 59 after testing them this weekend at our practice facility.

I find the set PW,SW & LW to be very workable and reliable, regardless of shot or lie. I tend to find with speciality wedges, particularly on full shots, that they don't quite go as well on full shots. There are a few holes where around 100-110 out requires you to carry trouble and stop really quickly. I use the PW & GW on these because they hit the numbers required and tend to stop dead because of the high flight.

With other traditional wedges I find it harder to consistently hit those numbers and avoid trouble. I always feel in the back of my mind that I'm going to have to nail them but that tends to send them into orbit and not far enough.

Has anyone else tried the S18 wedges out of interest? Felt great (as do the HM's) and I was able to step on them without any concern.

My pro got me a couple of them to try on course tomorrow so I can supplement my previous practice with feedback on different lies, distances etc...can't wait!

Yesterday I had one of those "hot spot" moments where I had accounted for a certain yardage with my 6 iron. I even had to factor in extra yardage because I needed to turn it over around some trees. Well the shot came of exactly as I wanted it to. My playing partner had pulled his approach way to the left into the trees. We came to the green and saw a ball 10 feet to the left of the hole that we both assumed was my shot. We tried looking through the trees but didn't see his ball. He dropped and played another ball to the green. Sure enough, we came to the green and the ball 10 feet away was his first ball. I found my ball some 30 feet past the green ( I probably landed on the downslope beyond the green) on a bare patch of dried out earth. So now I had to try and play a ball through the rough on a bare hard lie to a downhill fast green. All that from a pured second shot. That moment has me seriously considering putting my old Snake Eyes back in the bag for today's round to see how much different the distance control really is with them. I will most certainly give up some yardage but at this point I would gladly give that up to not have that pured flyer put me in an impossible spot again on a good shot.

When you close down the face at impact to hit a hook that reduces the loft. That's why the longest shots are typically long left for RH golfers.

Early in my HM career I was concerned with the odd long distance shot but after playing them for a year, about 100 rounds, I've found that to be the least of my troubles.

I flew home to NY to catch a few rounds with Dad, I leave a set of MP 57s there with a similar hybrid wood setup. Amazing how hard my old clubs were to hit compared to my hot metals. I think they’re an excellent product

Hey, don't go and start a blade vs. HM debate here!;) We got threads for that at GolfWRX and they almost never end well!

Early in my HM career I was concerned with the odd long distance shot but after playing them for a year, about 100 rounds, I've found that to be the least of my troubles.

So do you feel that the odd flier is more than offset by other attributes?

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

So do you feel that the odd flier is more than offset by other attributes?

Definitely. And shots I previously thought were fliers were more my fault with the strike.

Quick update from my note above, about picking up another set of Hot Metals, this time with Modus 105 S (previous set was originally Modus 105 R, and then re-shafted with XP 105 S300 after a fitting). Played a round yesterday morning, a little cold and rainy, no range time. Threw the Hot Metals into the bag, and it was a great round. I remembered why I really enjoyed the Hot Metals the first time around, before things kind of soured.

Anyway, the Modus 105 S were terrific (the Mizuno optimizer had actually fit me for the X flex a year ago, but the S are obviously a bit easier to load). The heads were great. The dang GW still didn’t quite work for me though—dug with it the first time around last year, and dug with it yesterday. My CBX wedges are a good blend with the Hot Metals. So I am going to give the Hot Metals another run. Feeling good about them again, and they were a pleasure to hit yesterday.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

I went the opposite way. I´ve played the JPX 900 forged last saison with mediocre results especially in the long irons although I think I am not a bad iron player. Then a couple of weeks ago Í read in a posting here that even low single hcpers play the HM with succes (thank you Golfwrx!). So without thinking any further or testing I bought a set at my golfshop. OK I took some risk with no testing but this was the best decision I ´ve ever made in golf up to now. Absolutely no more issues with the long Irons. I first had the intention to mix the sets, long irons HM, short irons forged. But I read so many positive reviews on the short irons that I bought the whole set (4-PW) and I must say, that the short irons play fantastic. Same distance as the forged (they are imo not longer than the forged but slightly higher), but I ´ve found they are much straighter and they are very forgiving indeed. I can't understand why some here claim that the forged are as forgiving as the HM. They aren't, at least not in the long irons. I am really impressed. I play the HM with the recoil (due to some shoulder issues) a fantastic shaft as well, compared to my KBS tour. I would recommend everyone, as long as you are not a scratch player, to play the most forgiving clubs you can find. Why make (golf)-life difficult?

as they say in the Liberty Mutual commercial " SMART"

Has anyone experienced this with the Mizuno optimizer - where it recommends too stiff of a shaft. Couple of years ago, It recommended px rifle 5.5. for me. Felt like rebar to me. 5.0 was enough for me.

Yes, and from what I've read from Dave Mac here, that is the tendency. Too stiff and possibly heavy too. They seem to be of the camp that feels that it will tighten your iron game. Which might be true, if it doesn't distort your swing.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Has anyone experienced this with the Mizuno optimizer - where it recommends too stiff of a shaft. Couple of years ago, It recommended px rifle 5.5. for me. Felt like rebar to me. 5.0 was enough for me.

I would say that it does seem to tend to the firmer side of things, and I've heard two other PGA fitters share the same observation.

Whenever I find a shaft I like I ask myself if I'd like it just as much on the 15th hole as I do right now.

Can anyone give a review on these? I've seen demo 6irons and they are the best looking GI irons I've ever seen. Low off set, compact head the finish is beautiful and stock Modus 105 shaft. I know they don't release until 15 or 16th but usually somebody gets their hands on a set early.

I bought a set (4 - AW) and love them. Had TM M2's but they made a big crack sound when hitting the 5 or 6 irons. But the Muzino Hot Metals are great sounding and feel very solid when striking the ball. Just have to remember that the shorter irons are 2 - 3 deg. higher in loft compared to the M2's. I have KBS Tour shafts in ® flex.

I’ve got these in the 4&5 with the 900 forged 6-PW. After playing a few rounds with these, I’m really thinking of selling the forged and completing the set with the Hot Metal.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

Anyone play the PX Lz Tour graphite shafts in these. Just curious if they are similar to the blue PX Shafts of the past.

I've got about 3 rounds and a few range sessions on mine. I've been dabbling in graphite over the past year and a half and everything was coming in the 65-75 gm range and just didn't do it for me. These feel smooth to me, better than any sub-100 gram steel shaft I've tried. I am launching them really high right now- but don't seem to be losing distance because of it and they aren't spinning like crazy or anything.

Received my custom built 900 HM's today (5-GW). Ordered on Monday, at my door on Thursday. At address they sure remind me of my old MX-23's. Loved those irons. Was not expecting these to be more compact than my orange/black JPX forged. Can't wait to give them a go.

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”