getting rid of cable tv

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 9 months ago we canceled our DirecTv. We already had an antenna installed in the attic connected to all of our tvs (in case of heavy rain or snow causing the loss of satellite signal). We also had Amazon Prime and Netflix that we watched using a Roku box. I bought 2 more Roku boxes for the other tvs and subscribed to Hulu Live TV and HBO Now. Hulu Live was problematic - continuous buffering which was very frustrating while trying to watch live sports. So I canceled that and subscribed to PSVue (Playstation) live tv and have had no buffering issues. The kids mostly watch Netflix, Hulu, etc. on their chromebooks. I get the Big 10 Network and Golf Channel. My wife gets most of her favorite shows. And we are saving over $100/month. I have yet to figure out the DVR feature on the Roku and I did just get notification that our local ABC station was going from live to on-demand on PSVue, which won't really affect us since we have the antenna.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

We cut the cord over two years ago and haven't looked back. We upgraded our internet speed to accommodate more demand and pay around $70/month for internet. Check the location of local over the air antennas. If they are close enough, then you can buy relatively cheap antennas that will pick up local stations. We subscribe to Netflix and SlingTV. Between over the air, Netflix and Sling we get everything we want, including sports, and pay a little less than half of what our cable/internet bill was when we canceled the cable.

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

My brother uses Sling and is happy with it. He said he did have to upgrade his internet speed to 100 mbps to get the best performance.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

We dropped cable about 2 years ago. Price kept going up. Have internet only 100 MB for 41 per month. Have an android box and an amazon fire stick. My tv is smart also.

Installed a nice tiny antenna on my chimney and ran it to a splitter one side for tv the other for a Homerun box.

The Homerun box lets me watch tv on all my devices. Phone, Tablet, Computer and other TVs on the network. I have the least expensive one. Hd HomeRun Connect. It has two tuners The homerun box wasn't expensive. Paid for it my first month after dropping cable. Homerun also has a DVR for 35 per year. Haven't tried it yet.

Haven't missed cable at all. Have always been an Amazon prime member and giving Netflix a try now.

All I can get for internet here are Comcast (cable), CenturyLink (dsl), or satelllite. CenturyLink is horrid, satellite is laggy with bandwidth death @ night, so all that is left is Comcast.

DISH or DirecTV with Comcast internet is expensive. Comcast cable TV with internet is only $11/month more than just the internet. So I've stayed with Comcast.

Someday I'll move away from the sticks and get all the cool stuff the urban people get.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Simple question but I'm getting older, technically challenged and planning to retire next year. To cut the rising cost of cable I too would like to drop it, but when you do, where does the internet come from then? (sorry if that sounds so stupid)

This is one of those "it doesnt mean what people think it means" or more accurately "it doesnt mean what it used to mean".

Cutting the cord used to mean giving up tv/internet altogether. Now it just means people usually pay more for better internet access and then pay for one or two or three monthly internet services or new devices/boxes - vs paying for a tv service.

Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesnt. For me we just knocked down the Directv service level to save a few bucks. If you dropped cable tv you could still keep cable internet access - the coax cable is still physically connected to your house - this is the setup that I have, cable internet but no cable tv service.

But again, "cutting the cord" as a phrase isnt really all that accurate these days.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Simple question but I'm getting older, technically challenged and planning to retire next year. To cut the rising cost of cable I too would like to drop it, but when you do, where does the internet come from then? (sorry if that sounds so stupid)

You can do a search in google for your area- Internet Service Providers. Look over what they offer for internet only.

If you decide not to get internet only you can still watch your local tv channels. Using an antenna in the attic or roof brings in more channels I live in Northern Ohio and found about 60 channels in my area over the air. You can check your area to see what channels show up http://www.homeantenna.org/digital-antenna-reception-map.html

I tried to cut the cord and went back. When you start to factor in all the costs it's so close to just having cable and internet ($80ish for good internet + $35 for a streaming service + $15 for netflix + $15 for Hulu).

You might have to play the game every year and call to lower your bill, but it's much more convenient to have a cable box then stumbling through 5 different apps to find the show you want to watch.

Cutting the cord is getting slightly less advantageous as the streaming market has exploded. When I first did it, I was saving around $80 a month, mainly in HD and equipment fees and a little on the service. But then my comcast internet mysteriously started not working quite as good in prime watching opportunities (ie Sling would buffer like crazy every night at 9pm). So I upgraded the internet to ATT fiber, which ate up $25 of that savings. Then Sling TV had a bunch of issues as it grew too fast for them to handle it, so I went from $20 there to $35 for PS Vue. And then PS Vue raised their price to $40 a few months back. So now 2-ish years later I'm down to saving $35 a month over regular cable. It's still something, but I doubt it'll be much longer before more stuff comes down the pipe.

And then now that everyone is into the streaming game, including the major cable companies, we'll continue to see competition and limiting of channels. On PS Vue, they recently dropped live streaming of Fox, so come football season I will need to potentially move onto something else. YouTube TV carries all the locals, but lacks HGTV and Food Network, which are probably the two most often watched channels. I may try out Hulu Live soon as they seem to have most everything. But I really imagine the big cable companies will find a way to knock most of these services out of the picture.

And then, on top of the crap above, we've got CBS and ESPN both offering stand alone subscriptions. I imagine more networks will do this and things will get more out of control.

I dumped Cable TV which saved $60 per month but they still bang me for $75 per month for 25 up/down for internet. I thought I would really miss my local sports and the Golf Channel but not so much. Plenty of other more productive things to do. Thinking about dropping internet as my phone has enough data that I can work from home on the rare occasions it might be necessary.

If I get to the point where I drop both, plus a service that requires high speed internet with a large amount of data, it would save me an estimated $2000 per year of after tax dollars. I can easily afford it but I don't think it's worth nearly that much money. It would be a decent raise for not much effort or loss.

Ive debated about doing this for the last couple years. I am a UVerse customer and love the cable. I get all the movie channels plus all the other stuff, I have dvr and a wireless box, plus internet and am paying about $180 a month. Its high I know, but I would pay about half that to get sling tv and a couple add ons and would still be missing some other stations I watch normally. Plus I would still have to get an HD antenna and hook it up.

In a year, I may actually go thru with it but for now I am staying put with what I got. It may be a bit more but its too convenient to give up for now.

YouTube Tv with a little bit faster than standard internet has been wildly successful for me. Saving $60 a month.

THIS. YouTube TV has been fantastic for our household, and now there is a native app for my TV (Roku TV) so that removes the hassle of casting from my Chromebook.

Nothing missing that I want from YouTube TV. Local channels, college football, soccer, F1 racing, it has everything I need.

We also maintain a Netflix subscription that is frankly unnecessary but it's not very costly, and we have Amazon Prime video as a side benefit to Prime membership.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Ive debated about doing this for the last couple years. I am a UVerse customer and love the cable. I get all the movie channels plus all the other stuff, I have dvr and a wireless box, plus internet and am paying about $180 a month. Its high I know, but I would pay about half that to get sling tv and a couple add ons and would still be missing some other stations I watch normally. Plus I would still have to get an HD antenna and hook it up.

In a year, I may actually go thru with it but for now I am staying put with what I got. It may be a bit more but its too convenient to give up for now.

You don't really need the HD antenna any more if you go with a streaming package that has local channels. I have an antenna and tablo which converts the signal to wireless to stream and acts as a DVR, but now the only time I use it is if I want to watch live sports on Fox since PS Vue dropped that live channel. The other OTR channels are streamed on vue and many of the other streaming services have them all, including fox.

It may not be worth it for you though, since to get a streaming service ($40-ish) plus all the pay channels you'd probably be $80-90 a month, maybe a bit more plus the cost of internet and the investment in the Fire sticks or whatever to attach to all the TVs

We’ve been using Sling for about a year now and are still pretty happy. We don’t watch a ton of television other than Golf Channel and the local Fox Sports variant for Stars and Mavs games.

Sling -$50

Netflix - $10

CBS App - $5

Cheaper than a bundle package for us through a cable provider and more flexibility.

This is one of those "it doesnt mean what people think it means" or more accurately "it doesnt mean what it used to mean".

Cutting the cord used to mean giving up tv/internet altogether. Now it just means people usually pay more for better internet access and then pay for one or two or three monthly internet services or new devices/boxes - vs paying for a tv service.

Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesnt. For me we just knocked down the Directv service level to save a few bucks. If you dropped cable tv you could still keep cable internet access - the coax cable is still physically connected to your house - this is the setup that I have, cable internet but no cable tv service.

But again, "cutting the cord" as a phrase isnt really all that accurate these days.

Same here. We just told our cable company to shut off the TV service but leave the high speed internet (Roadrunner) on.

Dropped our bill from $165 a month to $70 a month. Then we added Netflix through our Roku unit to 2 TVs for $10.99 a

month so we're paying a total of $80.99 a month now. Our internet is plenty fast enough to run 2 TVs and our PCs all at

the same time with no issues and unlimited usage.

Same here. We just told our cable company to shut off the TV service but leave the high speed internet (Roadrunner) on.

Dropped our bill from $165 a month to $70 a month. Then we added Netflix through our Roku unit to 2 TVs for $10.99 a

month so we're paying a total of $80.99 a month now. Our internet is plenty fast enough to run 2 TVs and our PCs all at

the same time with no issues and unlimited usage.

you guys are all heros. I need my live sports.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't "LIKE" posts by staff but can quote and say yessir!

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...