ben hogan ft worth black irons

They will be even easier to hit than the original Fort Worth’s.

I wonder if they plan to continue to sell the original if they really believe this to be true. I imagine there are folks that do not want a black iron, but would prefer the improved Ft Worth iron.

It would certainly make sense when the “regular” FT worths get “refreshed” to make all the same changes. I would bet on it actually.

I know they were huge proponents of the individual “club in every loft” system, but it is WAAAAAY too hard to do in terms of manufacturing, inventory, and ordering. Just give people the “mid- high” fairly traditional lofts and call it a day. 22,24,30,34,38,42,46 is what the predominant choice has been from the beginning.

Just go back to traditional numbers on the soles like on the blacks and call it a noble experiment that wasn’t so great in actual application. I used to work in the club biz back in the 90’s and I don’t even want to think about having clubs in every loft. Good lord.

I’m playing those exact lofts myself even though I actually bought the “low” set. I bent all mine 2 degrees weak to 22-46. It’s essentially perfect traditional lofting in my opinion. You won’t win any distance contests with a p790 or any other super jacked set, but that’s not the point of these irons.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking... I hope you are a great ball striker. The Ft Worth irons are the lowest scoring irons ever on the MPF (Maltby Playability Factor) with a score of 90!!!! To put in perspective, typical blade MPF is somewhere between 350 and 450 and GI irons are 650+.

This is one of the strangest most nonsensical things I’ve ever seen. I’ve hit all sorts of blades and virtually every modern “players game improvement” iron available for the last 4 years since I got back into Golf again after a break.

I will swear to Everyone on this board, that they are NOT a difficult unforgiving club. They are perhaps the most forgiving, easiest to to hit, friendliest “blade” style club that I’ve ever hit. That depression cavity isn’t just for styling purposes. It really works. As I said before, there is some significant perimeter weighting going on in them. They aren’t tiny heads. There is a touch of offset. They really should be tried before anyone thinks that Maltby rating has any basis in reality.

Seriously. Spend $20 and try two demo clubs at your favorite range for two weeks. Even take them out on the course and compare them with your existing irons.

I know I’m starting to sound like a spokesman or something for Hogan. I’m not. Just a big fan. They really are a great club at a great value. I seriously wonder why they aren’t more popular on a site like this. I know they really need more shaft options, but the heads are first rate and if you can reshaft yourself they are still a great deal.

Nice looking... I hope you are a great ball striker. The Ft Worth irons are the lowest scoring irons ever on the MPF (Maltby Playability Factor) with a score of 90!!!! To put in perspective, typical blade MPF is somewhere between 350 and 450 and GI irons are 650+.

This is one of the strangest most nonsensical things I’ve ever seen. I’ve hit all sorts of blades and virtually every modern “players game improvement” iron available for the last 4 years since I got back into Golf again after a break.

I will swear to Everyone on this board, that they are NOT a difficult unforgiving club. They are perhaps the most forgiving, easiest to to hit, friendliest “blade” style club that I’ve ever hit. That depression cavity isn’t just for styling purposes. It really works. As I said before, there is some significant perimeter weighting going on in them. They aren’t tiny heads. There is a touch of offset. They really should be tried before anyone thinks that Maltby rating has any basis in reality.

Seriously. Spend $20 and try two demo clubs at your favorite range for two weeks. Even take them out on the course and compare them with your existing irons.

I know I’m starting to sound like a spokesman or something for Hogan. I’m not. Just a big fan. They really are a great club at a great value. I seriously wonder why they aren’t more popular on a site like this. I know they really need more shaft options, but the heads are first rate and if you can reshaft yourself they are still a great deal.

Depends on the player/person. I've hit the FTW15 and even gamed the PTx for a while. Neither felt good to me. Have Bridgestone CBs in the bag now and the feel is 10x better.

Couldn't agree more. They are without question the most forgiving blades on the market, to the point I actually think of them as more of a players cavity iron. I never put much stock into the MPF but after learning these very forgiving blades were at the bottom of the list I stopped paying attention entirely. Not everyone needs help getting the ball airborne!

Is there an option for different shafts even if it means an up charge?

So far no. Just what’s listed on their website order page. It’s a terrible mistake that’s costing them a lot of sales.

Email them and b**** about it. I’ve Instagramed them and emailed their custom service multiple times about it.

I happen to love my Tour V 120x, but there really should be more choices. Absolutely At least the full range or KBS and UST recoils.

Is there an option for different shafts even if it means an up charge?

So far no. Just what’s listed on their website order page. It’s a terrible mistake that’s costing them a lot of sales.

Email them and b**** about it. I’ve Instagramed them and emailed their custom service multiple times about it.

I happen to love my Tour V 120x, but there really should be more choices. Absolutely At least the full range or KBS and UST recoils.

That is too bad, hopefully they change that in the near future.

Perfect combo with my black VR wedges and Ft. Worth Black irons until the Equalizer available for demo or black version :)

The original Black Nike VR Red wedges? ??!

If so, those were the highest spinning wedge EVER created. Even slightly higher then the original X-Forged MD wedges (Which I still have in the bag in the Tour Finish).

*I still have a mint condition VR Red 60* as which I take out every so often....BEAST of a wedge.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

The original Black Nike VR Red wedges? ??!

If so, those were the highest spinning wedge EVER created. Even slightly higher then the original X-Forged MD wedges (Which I still have in the bag in the Tour Finish).

*I still have a mint condition VR Red 60* as which I take out every so often....BEAST of a wedge.

Yes, took them out of my backup bag after a long break using diff clubs in lighter weights. Now back to heavier shafts to improve distance control. I'm good with accuracy but inconsistency with tempo until a good demo experience of PTx irons. I'm going for Ft. Worth Black but disappointed with limited shaft options.

Btw, I'm using PM 64 MD3 along with 52/58 VR Black in my bag :)

13.5 BRNR | 18* G430 5W | 22* G430 4H
P7TW 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

These irons are some of the best I've ever hit, right now I have iBlades that I bought off of a guy here in the BST forum and now I may have to snag a set with the black finish and the price... Any suggestions on what to do?

Stealth 2 Plus 8* - Smoke Blue 6.5 65g

Stealth 2 Plus 14* - Smoke Blue 6.5 75g

Apex UW 19* - Smoke Black 6.5 85g

ZX7 MkII 4i, Z-Forged MkII 5-9i - X100 TI

RTX 6 Raw 46º 52º 56º 60º S400 TI

Spider X | Z-Star Diamond

Had a regular set at shop, not only play well....but thought having loft on sole was a nice aesthetic touch...not that it’s a big concern, do they hold their value? Or should maybe say desirable/hard to find in used market? Also does company have any type of product cycle? Or just whenever they drop something, that’s it. No schedule. As I remember these in chrome maybe 3 seasons ago unless they have been changed a little. Thanks for any info

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

These irons are some of the best I've ever hit, right now I have iBlades that I bought off of a guy here in the BST forum and now I may have to snag a set with the black finish and the price... Any suggestions on what to do?

Sure...Buy them, take glory pics, post them here, and sell the Iblades.

Any questions...

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

What I want to know is whether we have a candidate to compare Ft Worth Blacks to the previous generation in regards to forgiveness. Are they in fact a tad more playable?

Loved the look when they first came out did the two-club demo. They are just SO compact. I had a hard time imagining I would be confident beyond a wedge and 9 iron. The original TK wedges, to me, are excellent. Hit any shot around the green or from any lie.

Not sure about the Equalizer yet but like how it looks.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Had a regular set at shop, not only play well....but thought having loft on sole was a nice aesthetic touch...not that it’s a big concern, do they hold their value? Or should maybe say desirable/hard to find in used market? Also does company have any type of product cycle? Or just whenever they drop something, that’s it. No schedule. As I remember these in chrome maybe 3 seasons ago unless they have been changed a little. Thanks for any info

They dont seem to be on any kind of consistent release cycle but that is largely due to going bankrupt and starting over last year with this dealer direct version of the company. I wouldn't expect a yearly cycle but I'm guessing we will see 2 years or something somewhat consistent in that range when they settle into things.

You don't seem to find many on the used market so hard to say about resale value. They are a smaller company so less people have them and if they love them even half as much as I love mine most people wouldn't be interested in selling them. I saw a used set in what I could call 7/10 condition go for $450 in a local golf store which I thought was really good for a $665 set but I doubt that is the norm.

What I want to know is whether we have a candidate to compare Ft Worth Blacks to the previous generation in regards to forgiveness. Are they in fact a tad more playable?

Loved the look when they first came out did the two-club demo. They are just SO compact. I had a hard time imagining I would be confident beyond a wedge and 9 iron. The original TK wedges, to me, are excellent. Hit any shot around the green or from any lie.

Not sure about the Equalizer yet but like how it looks.

I will have a set in my hands tomorrow and intend to compare the best I can. With that said I may not be able to help you as I consider the ft worth 15s to be the most forgiving blade style iron on the market. I'm personally not expecting a lot of difference with the minimal vsole change and the slight weighting change to offer a more penetrating flight. I'm guessing they will play very similar other than looking quite different visually. If I find them more forgiving I will make sure to post it here and let you know.

I will have a set in my hands tomorrow and intend to compare the best I can. With that said I may not be able to help you as I consider the ft worth 15s to be the most forgiving blade style iron on the market. I'm personally not expecting a lot of difference with the minimal vsole change and the slight weighting change to offer a more penetrating flight. I'm guessing they will play very similar other than looking quite different visually. If I find them more forgiving I will make sure to post it here and let you know.

How long ago did you order the Black set?

13.5 BRNR | 18* G430 5W | 22* G430 4H
P7TW 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

I don't work for them nor am I staffed by them but I did win a couple small mini tour events shortly after putting the Ft Worth 15s in play which are their only pro wins to date as far as I know. I've needed a couple above and beyond customer service things from them and they have always been very accommodating and worked hard to get me what I needed so I have a solid relationship with them. I had already had my whole bag set in place (I dont like changing at all, let alone mid season) ready to go for the start of my tournament season coming up soon when they released the Ft Worth Black teasers. I really wanted to test them out before my first event and they really moved things around to help me get them ASAP. So mine are actually the first set ever built which is why I'm getting them so early. If you ordered them yours should only be a week or two behind according to what I was told. I just couldn't wait that week or two. Their customer service is truly top notch!

FIRST SET ever built?....?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

I don't work for them nor am I staffed by them but I did win a couple small mini tour events shortly after putting the Ft Worth 15s in play which are their only pro wins to date as far as I know. I've needed a couple above and beyond customer service things from them and they have always been very accommodating and worked hard to get me what I needed so I have a solid relationship with them. I had already had my whole bag set in place (I dont like changing at all, let alone mid season) ready to go for the start of my tournament season coming up soon when they released the Ft Worth Black teasers. I really wanted to test them out before my first event and they really moved things around to help me get them ASAP. So mine are actually the first set ever built which is why I'm getting them so early. If you ordered them yours should only be a week or two behind according to what I was told. I just couldn't wait that week or two. Their customer service is truly top notch!

FIRST SET ever built?....?

Haha if you are questioning my saying that you are questioning them saying it. I was told by them directly it is the first set and mine is being built ahead of the set for their lead builder who usually gets the first set. I have absolutely no issues with you not believing it nor do I care if it is in fact the first set. Just relaying what I was told and expressing appreciation for their jumping through some hoops to make that happen for me. They really did not have to do it at all but they understood my time sensitive situation, showed some compassion,and went above and beyond to make it happen. That's not something I will forget!

FIRST SET ever built?....

Haha if you are questioning my saying that you are questioning them saying it. I was told by them directly it is the first set and mine is being built ahead of the set for their lead builder who usually gets the first set. I have absolutely no issues with you not believing it nor do I care if it is in fact the first set. Just relaying what I was told and expressing appreciation for their jumping through some hoops to make that happen for me. They really did not have to do it at all but they understood my time sensitive situation, showed some compassion,and went above and beyond to make it happen. That's not something I will forget!

The doubters, and haters show up in force at times. like you said, if it was the first set or not really doesnt matter sounds like great customer service to me.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Is the black available in the Ft worth Hi as well?

not yet, that would be awesome though.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X