Playing alone by choice.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just moved to Hawaii about 4 months ago so playing alone is completely out of the question. I miss the heck out of living in Florida and being able to play alone. There is nothing better to me than walking 18 by yourself with nothing but the course and your thoughts, I have always been an introvert however. It doesn't help that a lot of people my age just want to get drunk and ride carts every time they play, and I rarely ever drink during a round, and almost never ride.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 10* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 16* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

2 Iron: Titleist U500 w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

4 Iron-PW: Titleist 718 AP2 Black w/ True Temper Onyx AMT White

50*- Vokey SM8 Jet Black F Grind w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Onyx

54* Vokey SM8 Jet Black F Grind w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Onyx

60* Vokey SM8 Jet Black D Grind w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Onyx

Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless Custom

Ball- Titleist ProV1x

I love playing with others but playing alone is my time to practice because I hate beating balls on the driving range. I get absolutely nothing out of it.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I guess because I do play alone quite often I "choose" to play alone but in my case, it's because I'm sometimes available to play mid-afternoons during the week at a moments notice and everyone else I know that golfs is working so I go out by myself. To be perfectly honest, I do enjoy the golf aspect of playing golf more when I'm alone and I tend to be more focused and on my game as well. It's also a great opportunity to just drop balls anywhere and hit them or to hit multiple tee shots. I played alone on Monday and I'd estimate I hit at least 200 balls in 18 holes and still got in under 4 hours. Playing with friends is more fun obviously from a social point of view but most of the guys I play with aren't interested in gambling or competitive golf.

I have my morning group (first off usually on the weekend). I actually love my spouse and we spend time together. I don't want 6 hours at the course unless 36...... To me alone with my ipod (and listening to podcasts) is relaxing and can relax and speed through the round. I love the tranquility of the golf course.

Pounding balls & going to the range grows old in 15 minutes. Add to that great exercise playing 18 in UNDER2HOURS....... :taunt:

I love it!! :) You love the tranquility of the golf course but you want to get off of it as fast as possible. :lol: :lol:

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I tend to play early morning during the week - as a result I'm often a single. Enjoy playing as a single since I can toss down a second ball if need be - or can hopefully keep my head down and move through the round pretty quickly. Enjoy the solitude - but have also met some very interesting people on the course as well. Overall, always glad to be out on the course!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

It depends, if I am in between clubs and want to take off a few yards I will not use a tee.

With the exception of playing with my son I pretty much hate playing with other people. I am lucky enough to be a member at a private course where I can go out alone in the afternoon or after work and play until dark and have the course very much to myself. I play much better without the distraction of other people and just enjoy the solitude.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

I used to be a runner before my body decided it wasn’t a good idea anymore. That hour was just me with my thoughts just trying push myself to try and get a better average mile time. I golf by myself often and it kind of has that same feeling. Just me getting some time to myself and working on my game. I play with a regular group and really look forward to it each week. I enjoy both. They are different experiences.

This is exactly what I would have written to the 'T'. Running was, and golf is, like a mini vacation to me. Sometimes I want the alone time, but I also enjoy playing with my golf buds. It's also fun to get paired with random people; met some really nice people during rounds over the years.

Used to play a ton by myself just with friends schedules nothing ever aligned, so i kind of just got used to it. I wouldn't say i prefer to play by myself besides in one instance. I enjoy it when you are the last person out and can play - practice, honestly I think that's how i truly learned how to play my old home golf course.

I'd generally hit 1-2 balls off the box depending on the hole - par 5's I would hit from certain sides of the fairways at about 100 or less - Then every green hit pitches and chips to the pin - try to figure out where i could miss it - Then hit some putts from below and above the pin.

I am always playing alone... Seems i cannot find others s that are available. or cant pay for their own round, and if i had to wait for others to play id never get out..... Living in wichita KS. i have alot of options, afterwork, early morning. i roll with clubs in the car. Also i walk it... feels natural.. and the extra shot or two is nice. i will try a risky shot at times. and not let it faze me... the walk to my ball is a contemplating one... contemplate my next shot, or life... whatever... i have some tunes coming from my bag... and i turn off the phone. (never answer my phone when i play).. The isolation is serene.

Taylormade RBZ Driver 10.5
Taylormade RBZ Fairways #3, #5
Adams idea AO12 #3 Hybrid
Ping G25 irons 4thruP
Cleveland 588 Wedges 54*, 60*
Ping Scottsdale Shea putter

I play a lot of 9 hole rounds myself since I have the luxury of having a course so close. I really enjoy playing alone and as a new golfer I feel I play better solo as well. Less pressure to not suck in front of people and all that.... I also enjoy just being alone and in my own head space for a few hours. When I do get paired with others I also tend to have a great time and enjoy the company rather than focusing on my own score.

I enjoy playing with my friends or meeting new people playing on the weekends, but there's nothing better for clearing my mind after work than walking 9 alone. Between work, wife, 2 kids, 3 dogs, and a cat, the ability to spend 2 hours only thinking about the last shot, next shot, and my footsteps is amazing.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Ehhhh, I play alone (I don't know many people that can get out and play consistently), but I typically get paired with a group.

I have NEVER had a bad experience. I don't mind either, but I'm typically a single.

Two interesting stories.

1: got paired up with 3 guys. All looked like plumbers, contractors, something like that. Big guys, foul mouthed and big hands (stereo typing I know but that is the moral of the story). They actually were rocket scientists and were in town with JPL. Super interesting, and taught me a valuable lesson.

2: I got paired up with a couple. On the third hole, they asked me what I did for work. After speaking about it, we learned that the woman and I were working on the same project and were actually on the same weekly calls with each other. On the 4th hole I hit my first hole in one. Crazy coincidence.

I would've preferred, before teeing off, to play on my own. But, this game can be enjoyed in so many ways. I like meeting new people.

But, my game could use a practice round (multiple balls in play for reps)

Tell someone you go for a run every day and they won't think twice about.

Tell someone you golf every day by yourself and they'll think you need professional help.

:golfer:

I tried my hand at solo 'speed' golf. My wife thought I was nuts and I thought I was going to die. That short lived experiment was an exercise in futility that ended rather quickly.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Add to that great exercise playing 18 in UNDER2HOURS

Do you walk in less than 2 hours? If so, that's a pretty good clip. I get done solo in under 2.5 hours at what feels a relatively relaxed pace, but I'd need to get moving to ensure I finished in under 2 hours. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it.

Played first solo round of the year yesterday. I got to the course and first tee @ 6:00 pm, determined to rush through the round on an empty course. Sun out and very comfortable mid 60's. I hit multiple shots and did push the pace. Two shots on every par 3 and into all greens.

Only the third round of the year (and three days in a row & no range time). Off 18 in 1:50.

A glorious evening.

I love playing with people I know, with people I have just met, and playing solo.

For me, having time to myself is a rare luxury.....and playing solo is one way to do that. I pick my time and place carefully -- generally it's when the weather is not so good and there are few people on the course. I like fighting the conditions (within reason!) as I think that is a big part of the challenge of the game. To get some additional practice, I also like playing "worst ball" until I get to the green, then putting out. If I can play worst ball and break 90, I feel like I've played quite well and gotten some good practice.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Before this last break from golf I would walk 18 between 1h45m and 2h15m. Not rushing. If I can get back to walking again, it will likely be more like 2h30m now. But hey, I'm an old retired guy. ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

I really enjoy playing once a week by myself. My dad and i used to play twilight at our local at least once a week when he was alive. Being out there in the evening with what feels like the entire course to myself is like a mini vacation away from everything. My dad was the only coach ive ever had and we played every hole on that course 1000x together its like i can almost hear him telling me "nice shot" or what i did wrong. Guess its almost like reliving the "good ole days" with my dad for me.

There are a million reasons why a person can love this game and we each have a few of our own.

Dont get me wrong the social end of it awesome too and is very enjoyable. Nothing like making a new friend on the course who ends up being a very good person to know.

I always prefer walking when friends want carts, and I love playing alone.

I get to clear my mind, take my time and figure things out on my own. Also a big quality is being able to throw down a ball after a bad miss and re-try it or pull back your putt from the hole until you hole out a few times without slowing anyone down.

The best part is you get to express yourself and clear your head while walking many yards to your next shot at your own pace.

I preferred it for sure when I was pretty bad at golf, just did not want to embarrass myself. Now that I play much better, I'd rather have people around and build confidence. Sooner or later its like they arent even there, just takes practice and knowing you'll do fine. I think if you play alone, all or most of the time, when it comes down to either a tournament/function/being forced to pair up at a busy course, you'll be so far out of your comfort zone it wont even be funny.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

I love playing with others but playing alone is my time to practice because I hate beating balls on the driving range. I get absolutely nothing out of it.

I agree with the thing about the range. To me the range is only good for warming up, MAYBE testing new gear or if you came down with a bad case of the "S" word. The range is mostly like a strip club to me, just one big tease that costs time/money

I prefer to play alone, but it is very difficult to do due to volume of people playing.

Reason = I don't like most people.

seriously...when I get paired up with randoms, there will typically be 2 really good guys and 1 jackwad.

You know, the guy who cannot keep his mouth shut - the smelly guy, the annoying guy, the one who gives you tips, the one who complains about every shot.

I'd love to play more rounds alone.

Since we live fairly close to each other, we should get together and play. I promise to not say but only two words, 1) Hi and 2) I enjoyed it. I completely understand your post. :fan_1:

I have my morning group (first off usually on the weekend). I actually love my spouse and we spend time together. I don't want 6 hours at the course unless 36...... To me alone with my ipod (and listening to podcasts) is relaxing and can relax and speed through the round. I love the tranquility of the golf course.

Pounding balls & going to the range grows old in 15 minutes. Add to that great exercise playing 18 in UNDER2HOURS....... :taunt:

I enjoy playing the solo round, but also find similar solitude and relaxation from the range or a short game area. I can usually hit the range before work (don't have time for a round) and get in a little practice first thing in the morning. The groundskeepers know me, and usually have a section of the range setup for me while they set up the rest of the range for the day. Nothing like starting the day as the sun rises with a golf club in your hands.

Typically, I prefer to play with other people. I like the social aspect of it and it can help me improve my game because it makes me more competitive. Being an introvert though, I do like golfing on my own. It can provide a great mental space that I can use for introspection, stress relief, and - maybe most importantly - it makes me turn my competitiveness inward and want to be better, not just better (or luckier) than someone else so I can win.