ben hogan ft worth black irons

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really wish they offered different shafts. I was excited about the Tour V X but every thing I read about KBS shafts say the shaft tips bend with normal use.

I feel like that was a when they first came out. i would think they have better control now.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Really wish they offered different shafts. I was excited about the Tour V X but every thing I read about KBS shafts say the shaft tips bend with normal use.

I feel like that was a when they first came out. i would think they have better control now.

I asked in a few threads in the tech section, apparently KBS didn't reinforce their tips like other companies. If it's better or resolved, then it's on!

I asked in a few threads in the tech section, apparently KBS didn't reinforce their tips like other companies. If it's better or resolved, then it's on!

I've had this issue to the point where the head snaps off at the hosel with DG, Modus, and KBS tour but yet to have an issue with the tour V. I'm really hoping I dont as they are my favorite shafts on the market right now. I also pretty firmly believe that hitting off mats is a major contributor in many cases so if that is something you can avoid I think it helps. I think any high speed player hitting off mats or with a steep swing in general will face this issue at some point.

Also a tidbit that may or may not be relevant to you. I believe in doing a lionshare of practice with the hardest to hit club you have so I do most of mine with long irons. If you get a ft worth Hi (I love the Hi, it is a performer!) to replace the 22 deg you can use the set 22 as a practice club and hopefully limit the damage to the whole set. Just an idea that works for me but I understand it might not mesh with other peoples ideas about how to practice.

Hope that helps on some level.

What I heard is that was only with the C Taper line and it was corrected, with any bent shafts replaced for free.

Never heard of it in the Tour, and I have played it in many heads, or the Tour V or KBS Hi-Rev or any other KBS shafts. Kim Braly is a legendary shaft designer like his Dad and the shafts are excellent. I would not worry about the KBS shafts.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I haven't had a chance to hit them yet but I wanted to drop a couple in hand pics in here. I really wanted the black head to give the appearance of thinner top line and less offset which were my only small gripes with the 15s. They turned out better than I expected in that regard and overall are just stunning. I'm very impressed.

Let me know if there are any pics people would like to see. It will take me a few days to get a full review together but I'll have it done as soon as I can. These are 7 iron in black (34 deg) vs my 32 deg 15.

Very nice. Interested to see if you sense any difference in play or feel.

I have two sets of PTx. Maybe I should add a set of these guys.

I’m guessing they will launch PTx in black as well eventually.

Please post on finish durability after a couple months of play. I will check back. I imagine others will too. Black finishes are notorious for not lasting very long.

It looks much better in black! I'm so excited to order the irons and Equalizer soon after the customer service dept. confirm the Apex CF16/Pro combo set for a trade up program.

I haven't had a chance to hit them yet but I wanted to drop a couple in hand pics in here. I really wanted the black head to give the appearance of thinner top line and less offset which were my only small gripes with the 15s. They turned out better than I expected in that regard and overall are just stunning. I'm very impressed.

Let me know if there are any pics people would like to see. It will take me a few days to get a full review together but I'll have it done as soon as I can. These are 7 iron in black (34 deg) vs my 32 deg 15.

13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

With the arrival of the black models on demo some weeks (months?) off, the question for me is if I hit the original Ft. Worths and like them, will I like the blacks as much or more?

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Taylormade M1 15º, 19° Matrix Black Tie S
Royal Collection BBD VS, Shimada S 4-P
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°

Very nice. Interested to see if you sense any difference in play or feel.

I have two sets of PTx. Maybe I should add a set of these guys.

I’m guessing they will launch PTx in black as well eventually.

Please post on finish durability after a couple months of play. I will check back. I imagine others will too. Black finishes are notorious for not lasting very long.

Will do. Like the poster below you said the finish is DBM like the Cobra irons and if they wear like them I'll be very pleased. That finish holds up great. It has a different appearance than a normal black finish to the eye and as I understand it is actually part of the metal as opposed to a coating on the metal. I am anxious to see if they feel firmer as well so I'll be posting more about them as I get more info.

With the arrival of the black models on demo some weeks (months?) off, the question for me is if I hit the original Ft. Worths and like them, will I like the blacks as much or more?

I dont expect there to be much difference besides the Blacks being visually more compact. If you like the 15s I cant imagine you disliking the Blacks but you may prefer the appearance of the 15s depending on your preferences. They are both beautiful clubs but the Blacks fit my eye a lot better. I'm honestly shocked how much more compact they appear to be. Even had to measure a few things to be sure ;)

I dont expect there to be much difference besides the Blacks being visually more compact. If you like the 15s I cant imagine you disliking the Blacks but you may prefer the appearance of the 15s depending on your preferences. They are both beautiful clubs but the Blacks fit my eye a lot better. I'm honestly shocked how much more compact they appear to be. Even had to measure a few things to be sure ;)

black is a very slimming color.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Your right.

I got mine today and comparing them to my ft worth 15’s they do look “slimmer.”

Your right.

Looking forward to hearing the results between the 15’s and Black!

In my limited experience with them so far I wouldn't be expecting any seriously noticeable difference. Very very subtle if anything. It's hard for me to compare trajectory directly due to the lofts being different but if anything I think a slightly more penetrating flight and the slightest difference in feel is about the most anyone will find. They are the same club in almost every way.

Now all I need is for KBS to come out with some low spin mid trajectory 110-120 gram graphite shafts in matte black that there have been rumors about to go in these guys for the arthritis in my hands.

How sharp would these be with flat black graphite or black KBS $ Tapers or DG in onyx?? Nice.

Took mine out on the course today. They feel SOOO good.

That said, the grips started bleeding when rain started... going to see what they’ll do to make it right.

What're the specs for your irons? Curious, which ball are you using on the course today? I am using Pro V1 or Chrome Soft.

13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

Took mine out on the course today. They feel SOOO good.

That said, the grips started bleeding when rain started... going to see what they’ll do to make it right.

What're the specs for your irons? Curious, which ball are you using on the course today? I am using Pro V1 or Chrome Soft.

2 flat, 1/4 short, with ProV1

Your right.

would love to see some pics! Beautiful clubs, which they offered more stock shafts!

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update with a bit more review material now that I've had some time with them. In all reality the performance differences are minimal. They feel great and very similar to the 15s. Something in the feel is a bit different that I cant put my finger on but they feel a bit more "solid". Could be the mass moved around a touch, the vsole fitting me a bit better than the previous generation (which I loved!), or just the DBM adding some firmness. Either way they feel a bit better to me.

Beyond that they are really similar to the 15s from a playability perspective. I find them to be very forgiving for a blade and the turf interaction and trajectory are second to none for me. All things I've said about the 15s. Others might find some subtle differences in those or other areas but I doubt any one would report anything substantial.

The truly substantial difference is in the appearance and the finish. First and foremost they are just beautiful. Truly stunning to look at. They are the first club I've ever held that truly live up to the advertising photos (perfect lighting, angles, etc to make the club look its absolute best). They look just as good if not maybe even better than the pictures. The finish looks incredible and the colors really pop against it. More importantly this finish is the real deal! It is not your traditional black coating. It is part of the metal and will take a long time to show any wear and the wear it does show will be minimal as opposed to the whole face and sole wearing off. Just like the Cobra King MB/CBs. Bag chatter seems to be reduced, and what bag chatter there is is very well hidden in general. It just doesn't stand out like it does on chrome or even other black finishes. Overall I'm very impressed with the finish and could not be happier with it. I think it's safe to say these clubs will look nicer much longer into their life than others and probably be more playable longer into their life too.

Overall a great set of irons and one of the absolute best if not the best in the American market IMO. I think people who are looking for large performance differences will be disappointed overall. Aesthetically over the ball I much prefer the black but for others it may be the opposite. The finish is great and makes these superior to the 15s in my eyes. Whether those things make it worth upgrading to the 15s for others is hard to say but at their price point it definitely was worth it to me. Hope that's helpful.

Really great review there and you have convinced me to hit them the next time I'm in a store that stocks them.

I hit the 15s when they first came out as they got a lot of publicity and seemed to perform well.

Not in a position to change at the moment but the detail and passion in your review is inspiring! Thanks!