Driver

hybrid 18°

5 iron 27°

7 iron 35°

9 iron 43°

Gap wedge 52°

Sand Wedge 56°

Putter

Never missed a club from my 14 club setup. Shot 84 which is a good score for me.

I think it's important to post lofts. My setup could be 6 iron, 8 iron, Pitching wedge in some modern sets. ;)

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Was having a very good day with my evens setup the other day, up until I remembered why I quit carrying a 4 iron... Gonna try again with the 4 hybrid instead.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5*
Cobra Bio Cell+ 17.5*
Ping G10 24*
Mizuno MP-32 5-PW
Titleist SM9 52* and 58*
GoLo
Taylormade TP5x
instagram.com/sharpened_development_llc

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been using my 10 club bag for a few rounds now and been discovering a couple of things. One my putter is binned. My round today consisted of so many 3 putts it was embarrassing. Ruined what was a great round tee to green only to destroy all of that good work with the flat stick. Going back to my trusty beat to hell odyssey #7 putter. Second discovery is I think I need to bin my 18* hybrid. 3 rounds in a row now and I haven't hit a single good shot with it, even pulled 2 shots left into trees today and I never hit hybrids left. I've been hitting my irons and wedges so well lately that I'm now really considering putting a 2 iron in the bag (something like a friendly mizuno MP Fli hi or a H5). Like I said I think in a earlier post I've gone for a 5* loft gap between my 7 and 6 irons and then have 6* between my 6 and 4 irons. Putting a 2 iron in would then give me the same 6* gap. Just not sure what's going on with me but for quite a while I've really been struggling with fairway woods or hybrids but my iron play which has always been pretty good has got a lot better.

My main problem is as I'm skint I will need to trade in/sell my hybrid to get the cash to buy a 2 iron.

Why can't golf be simple :)

So I've been using my 10 club bag for a few rounds now and been discovering a couple of things. One my putter is binned. My round today consisted of so many 3 putts it was embarrassing. Ruined what was a great round tee to green only to destroy all of that good work with the flat stick. Going back to my trusty beat to hell odyssey #7 putter. Second discovery is I think I need to bin my 18* hybrid. 3 rounds in a row now and I haven't hit a single good shot with it, even pulled 2 shots left into trees today and I never hit hybrids left. I've been hitting my irons and wedges so well lately that I'm now really considering putting a 2 iron in the bag (something like a friendly mizuno MP Fli hi or a H5). Like I said I think in a earlier post I've gone for a 5* loft gap between my 7 and 6 irons and then have 6* between my 6 and 4 irons. Putting a 2 iron in would then give me the same 6* gap. Just not sure what's going on with me but for quite a while I've really been struggling with fairway woods or hybrids but my iron play which has always been pretty good has got a lot better.

My main problem is as I'm skint I will need to trade in/sell my hybrid to get the cash to buy a 2 iron.

Why can't golf be simple :)

Why don't you just take the problem clubs to the driving range and work out your problems with them. Spend a few hours putting and hitting the hybrid. That's a better idea than buying something else...

I've been playing D-7wd-5hy lately in the top of my mini bag but recently added a 20* Adams XTD ti hybrid too my full bag which might kick the others out of the mini bag.

Planning a special order of the Cobra OL Black irons... or G700s... might send the full set to the basement.

Moonlight has been great...

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Edit: Switched out the Crossovers with hybrids. Change is noted in my signature...

Edit: The driver, fairway wood, and hybrids are gone. Replaced with a Stretch 3 wood and 5 Crossover. I'm down to six and I think that's about as lean as I can go...

6 is pretty lean! Nice! I think I can effectively go down to 7 (3w, 4/6/8/P, S, putter) but I don’t feel like I can give up anything there without serious risk of extra shots. I’ll probanly more often play 8 or 9 though, adding a driver and/or a lob wedge to the above. But I can do without them if needed.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Edit: Switched out the Crossovers with hybrids. Change is noted in my signature...

Edit: The driver, fairway wood, and hybrids are gone. Replaced with a Stretch 3 wood and 5 Crossover. I'm down to six and I think that's about as lean as I can go...

6 is pretty lean! Nice! I think I can effectively go down to 7 (3w, 4/6/8/P, S, putter) but I don't feel like I can give up anything there without serious risk of extra shots. I'll probanly more often play 8 or 9 though, adding a driver and/or a lob wedge to the above. But I can do without them if needed.

I wanted a functional, light walking bag and 10* gaps will allow it to be playable from tee to green. Both the Stretch and Crossover will be great off the tee and fairway and the irons are longer than their standard length to give me a few extra yards.

Moonlight is an amazing bag. Whats your irons setup?

Going either 6-8-P-S or 5h-7-9-U

I always seem to have a 58 wedge in the bag... sometimes a 62

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

After a recent round:

1i 15°

6i

7i

52°

64°

Putter

Now that is an interesting setup. Why the 6&7 with such big gaps on either side? Just goes to show how personal a setup can be, and especially a minimalist setup. That set would terrify me!

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

If you play the same 9 hole course over and over again, you'd probably learn that you don't really need certain clubs because they just don't come into play.

I was just thinking about this while walking 9 Friday night. How when I'm hitting my spots and staying in position, I know the next shot coming up.

Then, poof, somehow I get out of position :)

If you play the same 9 hole course over and over again, you'd probably learn that you don't really need certain clubs because they just don't come into play.

After a recent round:

1i 15°

6i

7i

52°

64°

Putter

Now that is an interesting setup. Why the 6&7 with such big gaps on either side? Just goes to show how personal a setup can be, and especially a minimalist setup. That set would terrify me!

I'm oddly lucky with the 1i and it works on the course under pressure. I like the six iron because it's a monster club it gives me extra punch that the 7i just doesn't have without environmental assistance. The trajectories are just different enough. That 52° is very versatile. I can play it all over the stance making it cover the 9i to 56° range. At first I really didn't like the club because I had major difficulties with controlling what it was going to do. It's hotter than the wedge it replaced and was really overachieving. The 64° is just accurate and does well with a heavier touch and is great out of the sand.

Was only 5 over on the front yesterday with my 8 club setup.

Driver

3H

Putter

My buddies show up and want to play the back "the easy 9"

Throw my bag in the cart plus the rest of my clubs and proceed to shoot 10 over on the back 9.

Coincidence? I think not...

Cobra Speedzone 10.5*
Cobra Bio Cell+ 17.5*
Ping G10 24*
Mizuno MP-32 5-PW
Titleist SM9 52* and 58*
GoLo
Taylormade TP5x
instagram.com/sharpened_development_llc

Was only 5 over on the front yesterday with my 8 club setup.

Driver

3H

Putter

My buddies show up and want to play the back "the easy 9"

Throw my bag in the cart plus the rest of my clubs and proceed to shoot 10 over on the back 9.

Coincidence? I think not...

Your 8 club setup is identical to mine! No wonder you shot the lights out. :drinks:

Going to give this a go this summer, and walk every round. Basically splitting the set into two and will see which of the two alternatives works better:

Option 1: D (M2) / 5W (F7) / 5i / 7i / 9i / 52 / 60 / P (8 clubs)

OR

Option 2: 3W (M2) / 4Hy (G25) / 6i / 8i / PW / 56 / P (7 clubs)

First round will be with Option 2 this weekend. Have a feeling it will work better than the other one, and besides, it is one club less to carry! Very excited to give this a go.

I decided to bring clubs with me on my latest trip to the home office. Had a chance to play a quick 9 on a course I’ve never seen. Not the toughest course, but shot a smooth 40 (4 over) with a double due to bad putting. My travel set is ...

An old TaylorMade R5 driver

Callaway big Bertha 7 wood

Wishon irons, 5, 7, 9, and gap

Wishon 58 degree wedge

A Yes mallet putter

Didn’t hit the 7 wood once as I hit driver on any hole I could. The course was relatively short, but hitting driver on 7 holes left me a shorter iron in than normal. I think I could have saved a stroke or two if I used my normal club set (still a half set) because I was not quite used to this set.

My brother thinks I am nuts, but I really do not score that much different vs a full set.

drn92

I've changed my bag up multiple times this season now... 14 then 13 then 10-8-6... same scores. Lol

Gone out a few times in the last couple weeks with my 9 club bag (D, 3W, 4/6/8/P, SW, LW, putter). I honestly haven't missed the 5/7/9 irons at all really. Few times I found myself in between I just choked down and swung a little easy on the longer iron and it's worked great for me.

I honestly could get down to 7 pretty easy. I could easily drop my lob wedge...really only carrying it because it's a cool Piretti wedge with smiley face stamping and I like it. I could also consolidate down the driver and 3W to one club. Either of them really could work I think, couple par 5s would be unreachable in two at that point, but my odd of doing that aren't great with a 3w in my hands anyway so not really sure I'm losing too much.

But 9 clubs isn't feeling too heavy either so maybe I'll just stick with it for now. I'm certainly enjoying playing this way and the simplified decision making in my club selection.

It's funny that I have no trouble selecting an eight club golf bag (D, 3H, 5, 7, 9, GW, SW, PT) but struggle to choose which 14 clubs to play. LOL. :)

So the last couple of rounds I played with 7 clubs in a Sun Mountain 2.5+ bag and walked the course rather than ride in a cart. Did not miss anything at the top or bottom end of the bag, but I did miss the 7 iron and 9 iron a few times, where they would have been right on the money to the flag on the green. Instead, I ended up taking either too much or too little club and paid the price. Cost me about 4-5 strokes each time to get to 87 and 90 in the two rounds.

Set up was: 3W / 23* hybrid / 6 / 8 / 46* PW / 56* S / P

Going to add those two and try another couple of rounds with 9 clubs now, and see if there is a material improvement immediately.

What was your approach when you where in between the clubs you had?

I’m surprised you felt you gained that many stokes so I’m just curious. Maybe it’s my own lack of consistency showing, but I never really found myself that far outside my comfort zone. My stock shot is really choked down about 1/2” and 90% power I’d say. So when I find myself in between I first consider whether long or short is the better miss. If it’s short I’ll take the shorter club and move my hands to the very end of the grip and give it all I got to try and get that extra difference. If it’s long then the longer club and choke down a ways and swing 75%. I’ve found lately that doing that yields similar results for me as a full set and when it doesn’t get me on the green it sets me up for getting up and down reasonably well. But for me, even with the right club in my hand, I’m not always a lock for getting it on the green lately so I can see where the slight accuracy difference in my approach could be more detrimental to someone who’s more accurate with their approach shots.