2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Scotland - great Non-Rota courses?

I know my geography :-p

So apologies if I was not clear. I meant it as a caveat, that I was excluding any Scottish courses Aberdeen and points North, from my 'everyone's Top 5'. As someone could easily say places such as Dornoch, Balgownie, Cruden Bay maybe, would be in their top 5 knocking my suggestions from their perch.

Per your 2nd line, £0 would still be too much for me.

ahhhh.

were you not a fan? its not a traditional links but its a good course!

I have not played it actually. I am sure it's a quality track, with some good shot values, just not my cup of tea :)

I do prefer to hit the old school tracks when I come over, that said I did enjoy Kingsbarns and am trying out Renaissance Club next month.

Maybe once I've got through the others (I've not played anything North of Carnoustie), I'll get to it sometime down the road.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

So apologies if I was not clear. I meant it as a caveat, that I was excluding any Scottish courses Aberdeen and points North, from my 'everyone's Top 5'. As someone could easily say places such as Dornoch, Balgownie, Cruden Bay maybe, would be in their top 5 knocking my suggestions from their perch.

Per your 2nd line, £0 would still be too much for me.

ahhhh.

were you not a fan? its not a traditional links but its a good course!

I have not played it actually. I am sure it's a quality track, with some good shot values, just not my cup of tea :)

I do prefer to hit the old school tracks when I come over, that said I did enjoy Kingsbarns and am trying out Renaissance Club next month.

Maybe once I've got through the others (I've not played anything North of Carnoustie), I'll get to it sometime down the road.

where in Texas are you?

I have heard nothing but good things about Renaissance.

I didn't not like the long greens at Kingsbarns.

Funny my dad was saying that the pro shop at Turnberry the sales last year were down 75%, as the badges on everything said 'Trump Turnberry International' now they have removed Trump and the sales are back to normal. Funny.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

ahhhh.

where in Texas are you?

I have heard nothing but good things about Renaissance.

I didn't not like the long greens at Kingsbarns.

Austin for my sins. I know from other threads you get down this neck of the woods.

The wind (and some hardpan) here is great for keeping links golf shot skills in practice.

To Dave's OP, while not in Scotland; Goswick is only a few miles South of the Border and only 40mins from Dunbar Golf Club, that it's worth an honorary mention. Hoping to get to it in a couple weeks :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Non championship courses in Scotland that are superb are ten a penny. Some are better than others some are stunning locations where the ambience makes up for a few "poorer" holes.

Western Gailes has been mentioned. Great track, front 9 is brilliant, back 9 not quite so good.

Glasgow Gailes is good too.

Dundonald, host of Scottish Open last year is a great test of golf.

Castle Stuart, lovely location, some top golf holes.

Nairn, marmite course but stunning location and great greens.

Royal Aberdeen, another Scottish Open venue, top track, again like Western brilliant front 9, not as great coming home.

Prestwick, I've not played but only hear great things about.

Dunbar is a lovely short links track.

Trump Aberdeen is superb. Absolutely love it.

Cruden Bay is another that is marmite but gets rave reviews in some circles.

Tain, Brora, and Moray Old are all excellent.

Machrihanish and Machrihanish Dunes are both excellent and worth the journey.

Machrie on Islay is top class.

I really could go on and on.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

Just back from 2 days at Castle Stuart. Early season; it was quiet,cool and blustery. Day one, the only other group we saw on the course was Paul Lawrie's (Open Champion 1999). Wonderful holiday golf on a beautifully presented, generous links course. I couldn't recommend it more highly. The on course accommodation was superb and the clubhouse welcome was perfectly pitched. Don't pass it up if you are within 50 miles.

Next week we're off to Rosemount, arguably amongst the finest, if not the finest inland track in Scotland. I'm living the dream!

Just back from 2 days at Castle Stuart. Early season; it was quiet,cool and blustery. Day one, the only other group we saw on the course was Paul Lawrie's (Open Champion 1999). Wonderful holiday golf on a beautifully presented, generous links course. I couldn't recommend it more highly. The on course accommodation was superb and the clubhouse welcome was perfectly pitched. Don't pass it up if you are within 50 miles.

I want to hit this shot so badly. Love the photos I've seen of this course!

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

It kicks in right off that hummock to the left of the green. I didn't know that when i pulled my tee shot but made an easy 2. Red letter day!

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

It kicks in right off that hummock to the left of the green. I didn't know that when i pulled my tee shot but made an easy 2. Red letter day!

My wife hit it to about 5 feet and made birdie on that hole. I hit it to the back of the green and made a pretty good 2 putt par!

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

• 1 month later...

I'm back from my Scotland excursion, playing all non-rota courses. We did play one famous ex-rota course (Prestwick) and two very highly respected courses (Western Gailes and North Berwick), and I won't comment on those in this thread. The rest of the courses were much less famous, but each was enjoyable in its own way. Just a few comments on each, with pictures to follow when I get some time.

Dundonald - fairly new, this is essentially a course with most of the hole running in valleys between man-made dune ridges. Plenty of challenge, good conditions, not a memorable location. Immediately across the railway line from Western Gailes, and across the street from Glasgow Gailes. Speaking of which...

Glasgow Gailes - built in the 1890s by the Glasgow Golf Club, to escape crowded conditions at its original (and still functioning) course. Everything I saw made this course look flat and dull, and it IS relatively level. But we found a bunch of really interesting green sites, in hollows and on top of plateaus, very good conditions, and super-friendly staff.

Gullane #2 and #3 - The Scottish Open will be at Gullane #1 soon. #2 Runs right next to #1, with #3 a little further south and east. These are each a little shorter, but still run up and over Gullane Hill, down towards the coast, and back up and over the hill. I make a point of talking about the hill because its a dang steep walk up the front side, and its the central topographic point of interest in all 3 courses. A good challenge, and the combined rate of 69 pounds for 36 holes is a real bargain.

The Glen in North Berwick. The West Links get all of the attention in town, rightly so, but the Glen is really fun. Not a true links, this is built mostly on rocky headlands east of town, running down close to the sea on a few holes. The Glen has the best views I've ever had on a course in Scotland, out to Bass rock on one side, and out to to the town of North Berwick on the other. I know Pebble is lovely, but parts of that run inland, between multi-million dollar homes. At the Glen, you can see the ocean on every single hole. The golf is good, not great, but its an outstanding setting.

Dunbar - A proper old links, Dunbar runs along the coast, much of it only 2 holes wide. With the ruins of a couple of old stone cottages (in play, not obstructions), two burns, and wind, its a good solid test of golf. Dunbar also had the smoothest greens we'd seen all week.

Musselburgh Old - We played 9 holes here with rented hickory-shafted clubs, and had a blast. This 9-hole course, mostly in the infield of a horse track, shared the Open Championship with Prestwick and St Andrews Old Course for a few years in the 1870s and 1880s. Even though the weekday greens fee is under 9 pounds for a senior like me, the course was in very nice shape. This is an experience I'd recommend for anyone interested in golf history.

North Berwick is among my favorite Scottish Courses. We arrived on a Sunday and had members caddie for us. What a great day, and a tour of the clubhouse with pints by the members. It's a really fun course in a beautiful seaside town overlooking Bass Rock. Gullane #1 was a real surprise. I had no expectations when we teed off, but what a treat it turned out to be. We were playing 36 at Muirfield the next day and it was very cool to look over the property boundary from Gullane and look down into Muirfield the year before the Open. Muirfield is just amazing btw. We played 18 holes of bestball in the morning. Changed into jackets and ties for lunch and shots of scotch with the members in their dining room, then changed back to golf clothes and played foursomes in the afternoon. IT was an expensive day, but worth every penny. The Kings Course at Gleneagles was a great course. It was a bit shaggy when we played it in April, but it's a classic layout. I thoroughly enjoyed playing Kingsbarns. Expensive but as beautiful as a high school cheerleader.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Brora

Golspie

Royal Dornoch

Tain

Lossiemouth

Nairn

Cullen

Cruden Bay

Murcar

Royal Aberdeen

Montrose

Monifieth

St Andrews New

North Berwick

Berwick (Goswick)

Southerness

Prestwick Old

Troon Lochgreen

Kilmarnock Barassie

Western Gailes

Glasgow Gailes

Machrihanish

Rosemount

Boat of Garten

I've played them all - and enjoyed them all.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

> @davep043 said:

> I'm back from my Scotland excursion, playing all non-rota courses. We did play one famous ex-rota course (Prestwick) and two very highly respected courses (Western Gailes and North Berwick), and I won't comment on those in this thread. The rest of the courses were much less famous, but each was enjoyable in its own way. Just a few comments on each, with pictures to follow when I get some time.

>

> Dundonald - fairly new, this is essentially a course with most of the hole running in valleys between man-made dune ridges. Plenty of challenge, good conditions, not a memorable location. Immediately across the railway line from Western Gailes, and across the street from Glasgow Gailes. Speaking of which...

>

> Glasgow Gailes - built in the 1890s by the Glasgow Golf Club, to escape crowded conditions at its original (and still functioning) course. Everything I saw made this course look flat and dull, and it IS relatively level. But we found a bunch of really interesting green sites, in hollows and on top of plateaus, very good conditions, and super-friendly staff.

>

> Gullane #2 and #3 - The Scottish Open will be at Gullane #1 soon. #2 Runs right next to #1, with #3 a little further south and east. These are each a little shorter, but still run up and over Gullane Hill, down towards the coast, and back up and over the hill. I make a point of talking about the hill because its a dang steep walk up the front side, and its the central topographic point of interest in all 3 courses. A good challenge, and the combined rate of 69 pounds for 36 holes is a real bargain.

>

> The Glen in North Berwick. The West Links get all of the attention in town, rightly so, but the Glen is really fun. Not a true links, this is built mostly on rocky headlands east of town, running down close to the sea on a few holes. The Glen has the best views I've ever had on a course in Scotland, out to Bass rock on one side, and out to to the town of North Berwick on the other. I know Pebble is lovely, but parts of that run inland, between multi-million dollar homes. At the Glen, you can see the ocean on every single hole. The golf is good, not great, but its an outstanding setting.

>

> Dunbar - A proper old links, Dunbar runs along the coast, much of it only 2 holes wide. With the ruins of a couple of old stone cottages (in play, not obstructions), two burns, and wind, its a good solid test of golf. Dunbar also had the smoothest greens we'd seen all week.

>

> Musselburgh Old - We played 9 holes here with rented hickory-shafted clubs, and had a blast. This 9-hole course, mostly in the infield of a horse track, shared the Open Championship with Prestwick and St Andrews Old Course for a few years in the 1870s and 1880s. Even though the weekday greens fee is under 9 pounds for a senior like me, the course was in very nice shape. This is an experience I'd recommend for anyone interested in golf history.

My experiences in Scotland have been very similar to DaveP043

Gullane #1 is awesome; so is Gullane #2, at half the price.

North Berwick, West Links is one of the World's most interesting links (and I parred the Redan); the Glen is a ton of fun, at half the price. Dunbar is also a must play, when in the East Lothian area.

Over on the other side of the country, in and around the Town of Troon, I really enjoyed Dundonald Links (although the 18th hole beat me up); the Barrassie Links (which shares the same piece of property) is a wonderful course, at half the price.

Do you see a pattern here?

Barrassie is the sort of course (27 holes) you could easily play every day and never get bored.

Playing a comp at Barassie based on some feedback on here! Looking forward to it.

Also playing West Kilbride and Prestwick St. Nicholas in the west and Glen, Kilspindie, Longdniddry and Winterfield (greensomes comp with my wife) in the east, in addition to the "bigger" names. We were going to work in Shiskine, but instead of a day trip to the island of Arran, we are driving south and catching a ferry for a non-golf long day trip to the "big island" and walk around and tour Belfast - really looking forward to that.

> @Chanceman said:

> Anyone played Fortrose and Rosemarkie? I have been planning to play it on my upcoming trip along with Royal Dornoch and Brora. Should I play it or skip in favour of somewhere like Moray or Tain?

Hi there, Fortrose and Rosemarkie is a nice course, especially when the gorse is in its yellow flower (as long as your ball avoids said gorse), and its's especially fun as it has the sea on three sides. However, be aware that it's pretty short; I would classify it as a quirky 'holiday' track if you are in the area, rather than an unmissable experience.

I'm biased (as a country member there with family connections in Lossiemouth), but I truly believe that the Old Course at Moray GC is genuinely unmissable if you are in the North East. It's a proper championship course (which has hosted Home International matches and Tartan Tour events), a Tom Morris design, and has one of the best (if not the very best) closing holes in Scotland; the 18th is a testing par-4 with the town itself all the way up the right over the OB wall, and the clubhouse sitting grandly above a well-bunkered, raised green. There are many memorable holes before that too; the rugged par-3 15th in the dunes is pretty cool. https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/moray-old

I do also like Tain; it's handier travel-wise from Dornoch than Lossie/Moray is, and has some cracking holes (and a few fillers), but it's not a championship layout and I'd rank it well behind Old Moray in terms of overall golfing test and experience. All depends what you are looking for, really.

Enjoy your trip!

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

• 1 month later...

To date, my favourite Scottish non-rota courses are

North Berwick, Elie, Dornoch, Cruden Bay, St Andrews Eden, Prestwick...would happily return to all of these.

Machrihanish, Dunbar, Kilspindie, Crail Balcomie and Southerness...maybe go back if convenient.

Courses like Castle Stuart, Kingsbarns, Royal Aberdeen, Gleneagles Kings, Renaissance & Trump Aberdeen are great, but simply too expensive relative to how much I like them.

Ciao

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @Cmoney710 said:

> > Has anyone ever stayed at Ducks Inn or Dunvegan?

>

> Getting just a little strange at this point.

>

> Check TripAdvisor?

At this point I think those establishments would prefer you stop asking.

F.T.

Too many great threads to read ... my question(s) to anybody

I plan to visit w my one goal being TOC ... i do not not need to spend long in St andrews do i?

Can i do 36 near there on a day passing thru then move on? Ive never been one for "touristy" stops

Can i easily use rail to get from Aberdeen to Ayrshire (just an example)? Does rail only run during the day?

As much as i hate to say it ... all i want to do is experience the joys of the golf ... everything else should come along with it right?

> @tboh said:

> Too many great threads to read ... my question(s) to anybody

> I plan to visit w my one goal being TOC ... i do not not need to spend long in St andrews do i?

> Can i do 36 near there on a day passing thru then move on? Ive never been one for "touristy" stops

> Can i easily use rail to get from Aberdeen to Ayrshire (just an example)? Does rail only run during the day?

> As much as i hate to say it ... all i want to do is experience the joys of the golf ... everything else should come along with it right?

Rail travel is quite easy in the UK. St Andrews doesn't have a station but Leuchars does- it's a small town just outside of St Andrews that's easily accessible. Use the website www.nationalrail.co.uk for any train journey in the UK. You can also purchase tickets from there as well.

Today's travel between Leuchars and Aberdeen below for info for the evening. Last train is at 22.39. Hope this helps! Times won't change significantly between now and then, however there is a slight timetable change coming into effect from 18th May.

w0yl2owtdgig.png

> @tboh said:

> Too many great threads to read ... my question(s) to anybody

> I plan to visit w my one goal being TOC ... i do not not need to spend long in St andrews do i?

> Can i do 36 near there on a day passing thru then move on? Ive never been one for "touristy" stops

> Can i easily use rail to get from Aberdeen to Ayrshire (just an example)? Does rail only run during the day?

> As much as i hate to say it ... all i want to do is experience the joys of the golf ... everything else should come along with it right?

Sounds like quite a hike from Aberdeen to Ayrshire, but my wife and youngest daughter took the train from Kircaldy to Glasgow for a day trip and enjoyed it. As the screenshot above shows you can go to the train's website and see all the timetables and fares. Pretty extensive system. I have to laugh at avoiding spending time in St. Andrews, though, it's not all that "touristy" IMO unless you walk by the Dunvegan when it's busy, or see a little Japanese or American man (saw both) trying to navigate a huge rental van around town, lol. College town, tourists, golfer/tourists, regular folks - but the vibe wasn't "touristy" to us, more like sacred ground, haha. But to each his or her own.

> @jonnymc44 said:

> > @tboh said:

> > Too many great threads to read ... my question(s) to anybody

> > I plan to visit w my one goal being TOC ... i do not not need to spend long in St andrews do i?

> > Can i do 36 near there on a day passing thru then move on? Ive never been one for "touristy" stops

> > Can i easily use rail to get from Aberdeen to Ayrshire (just an example)? Does rail only run during the day?

> > As much as i hate to say it ... all i want to do is experience the joys of the golf ... everything else should come along with it right?

>

> Rail travel is quite easy in the UK. St Andrews doesn't have a station but Leuchars does- it's a small town just outside of St Andrews that's easily accessible. Use the website www.nationalrail.co.uk for any train journey in the UK. You can also purchase tickets from there as well.

> Today's travel between Leuchars and Aberdeen below for info for the evening. Last train is at 22.39. Hope this helps! Times won't change significantly between now and then, however there is a slight timetable change coming into effect from 18th May.

Just re-read your message properly and saw that you wouldn't be travelling from St Andrews to Aberdeen! In either case, find the closest destination train station to where you're staying and there will be an indirect train via Glasgow (and/or Edinburgh depending on which is quickest) on the National Rail website. Any problems give me a shout. I don't work on the railway but I do live in the UK and more than happy to help.

Thanks ... you are all really helpful & I'm not honestly sure about where I am going to "homebase" it

It like to be able to move frm Point A to Point B via train w a stop in St Andrews just bc TOC is the holiest of tracts ?️‍♂️

Sorry about the "touristy" comment ... I just don't think I'll be visiting castles or graveyards or stones (although YES to distilleries) ??

Glad I discovered Wrx ... you people are just a wealth of golf knowledge (bad thing is it just fuels my additction)