What is the most unbelievable thing you have seen on the golf course?

As the title says, what is the most unbelievable thing you have seen on the golf course?

The most unbelievable thing I have ever seen on the golf course was at the 2016 NCAA Regional Championship in New Mexico, where there was a playoff between San Diego State and Texas A&M for the final spot to 2016 NCAA Championship.

The playoff hole was a par 5 and every player in each team had to play it.

One of the players in San Diego State, Gunn Yang (2014 U.S Amateur champion), hit a perfect driver and then went for the green on his second shot with a 3-4 iron.

The shot looked to be pretty good, took two bounces on the green and then rolled for a few yards before it went straight into the cup.

Meaning Gunn Yang had made an albatross.

The odds of making an albatross are so small but to do it in the most important playoff in your life makes it absolutely unbelievable.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not me: Played a two day high school match (9 holes one day 9 the day after). Same course and #4 is a par 5. On the first day one of my competitors holed an eagle putt. The second day he holed out for a 2 from close to 200 yards. 5 under on one hole for the two days.

Me: Was playing a while back and on a long-ish par 4 I pulled my second shot wayyy left of the green, would have been a mid-iron so thing at least 180 yard shot. There's a cart path up there and the ball was headed for it (if it lands on the cart path it goes OB). Along the cart path were a half dozen or so stakes about a half inch in diameter (you basically can't even see them from 180 yards) holding up a rope to prevent people from walking up/down the grass that had recently been worked on. Just as it was about to hit the ground it it hit just perfectly on one of those tiny stakes that the ball rocketed to the right and landed on the green to about 10 feet from the hole. I remember standing there dumbfounded as to how my ball did what it did. Only when we got to the green did we see the stakes.

We were playing once with our neighbor and on a par-3 he snap hooks a 7-iron that I didn't know you could snap hook a 7-iron. As the ball is about to hit the ground, it hits a half full Coors Lite beer can and ricochets off the can in the opposite direction and nestles up about 6 inches from the hole.

I don't know what was more unbelievable...the shot itself or that somebody actually left a Coors Lite beer can half full.

RH

38 years ago playing a dirt track mini muni in Lancaster (ca) with my mom. Mom thins her par 4 approach a bit right, it worm burns down and onto the cart path, straight across a little wooden bridge that covers the dry creek. The ball then bounces off a curb, onto the green and stops maybe a foot or two from the cup. She still rubs my nose in it all these years later.

Moms are special people.

38 years ago playing a dirt track mini muni in Lancaster (ca) with my mom. Mom thins her par 4 approach a bit right, it worm burns down and onto the cart path, straight across a little wooden bridge that covers the dry creek. The ball then bounces off a curb, onto the green and stops maybe a foot or two from the cup. She still rubs my nose in it all these years later.

Moms are special people.

My mom always let us play golf on mother's day.

In a high school match a guy I was playing with hit a low rocket shank off the toe of the club on #1 that hit the ball washer and ricocheted back at us faster than it came off the club head. It rolled 100 yards back down a hill into the parking lot OB.

A friend of mine who was new to the game made an ace on a short par 3 by blading a wedge that was like 5 feet off the ground and it hopped twice hit the green and rolled in the cup.

During a scramble a guy had a stroke and tumbled down the hill on a par 3 in front of us, an ambulance drove out on the course to get him, he recovered and still plays..

Was in the first group out one morning and came across some hobo who appeared to have been camped in the woods near one of the greens. He was smoking a glass pipe and did not even seem to acknowledge we were there.

I once holed out from approx. 100 yards on a wedge shot I pushed right. It caught a very thin lip on the greenside bunker and ricocheted dead left and hit the pin/dropped while still rolling quite fast.

At the range I once saw a guy intentionally aim for/hit the guy picking the range. The guy picking the range drove up to the teeing ground and attacked the culprit before being restrained.

"At the range I once saw a guy intentionally aim for/hit the guy picking the range. The guy picking the range drove up to the teeing ground and attacked the culprit before being restrained."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have waited my whole life to see this happen. LOL.

Closest I’ve ever been to a hole in one was at Eaglewood in North Salt Lake, UT. The par 3 8th has tee boxes well above green level so my wedge was coming straight down from its flight and plugged, fried egg style, into the green 2 inches in front of the cup. If the damn thing would have just wigged a bit and caught the front edge of the ball mark I’d have that monkey off my back.

Edit: Oh, wait! I saw a little person dressed as a cowboy riding a donkey across the fairway once. I assume he was with a birthday party that was being held at a park next to the course but I can’t be sure. Even if he was, that’s an effed up way to celebrate a birthday.

Two weeks ago ... Playing on a slow course, we're a twosome following a threesome for a while, with a single behind us ... We're waiting in a fairway, the single behind us just tees off into our fairway next us, drives to his ball about 30 feet away from us, parks and nods his head at us ... Have no idea what he was doing.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I killed a crow in mid flight with a 7 iron by accident.

Perfect shot and right at the apex the crow and ball crossed paths and it fell to the ground like 100 yards ahead of me.

I also saw my dad duff two shots on a par five and then hole a 220 yard screaming 3 iron for the grossest Eagle in history. It hit the flag in mid air and fell in the hole too...wtf?

A number of years ago a funnel cloud (some would say small tornado) touched down right outside our course and cut a swath through the parking lot, through the course itself, and out the other side. A dozen or so of us were in the clubhouse at the time, but luckily got to shelter in the basement, which was set into the ground. The funnel took out all the windows upstairs and tore the doors off and generally f'ed the whole place up. Giant trees on the 1st and 10th holes were found a couple hundred yards from where they were originally. There was also a bare path through the forest on the 6th hole where the funnel exited the course.

We came out from the basement and stood there in disbelief about what had just happened (because this is in northern Maine). After a few minutes, we hear a ball land on the 9th green, adjacent to the clubhouse. LeRoy (one of our "character" members) came playing up and putted out. Turned and looked at us with a "What...?" expression, and drove off down to the parking lot like nothing had happened.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Courses female bartender errrr let's say humming for her boyfriend. They were parked on the cart path right near the 12th green.

somethin' bout golf courses ...very romantic :pimp:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Playing in a five some after work one evening, all of us at varying handicaps. On one particular par 4, each person in the group hits their drive in the fairway, followed by hitting the green in regulation. From the green, we all carded pars or better. Trust me, more rare than a big-foot sighting.

I like this one.

I was in a 4 some (all of us mid-cappers at the time) and we all birdied the same hole, including one chip-in to start. That was pretty cool.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Two things stand out in my fairly short playing time.

1. I hunt a fair bit and so I'm familiar with wildlife and their mannerisms. About a month ago at a local muni I was playing in a twosome with a buddy of mine and as I was chipping on the par 3 third he yells at me in my backswing. I pull off and look at him like WTF he points to the edge of the rough and about 20 yards from me theres a damn coyote eating a bird he'd just killed. I chip on and finish out the whole and lose track of the dog and as we pull up to 4 he's just off to our right. the damn thing followed us around for about 4 holes. Then after we make the turn he comes out of the brush and appeared again right next to us where he followed for 2-3 more holes.

2. Two summers ago the same guy from the above story had just bought his new ENTIRE set of Nike gear irons, woods, bag, the works. A second friend of ours (who is habitually late) who he rode with shows up 10mins til tee time (per usual) and they load up all their s*** and we head off to tee at no1. everyone tees off and they take off talking mess. I guess in their haste he forgot to strap in his bag. They hit a small patch of gravel and the cart goes to rattling and his BRAND NEW set of gear half way jumps out of the back of the cart and he drags the whole thing for like 50 feet as we are yelling and crying laughing at him. He wore the new off of them QUICK. He still plays those clubs and bag, and we still give him s*** about it relentlessly.

Watching your buddy stick out his hand for an obligatory handshake after the end of the round when you knew he was in the woods 2 holes ago taking a leak

lmao golf is weird like that. I'll be rubbing dirt off my ball or clubs, pick up literal dirt with my hand replacing a divot, etc. and still eat a hot dog without washing my hands.

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Two things stand out in my fairly short playing time.

1. I hunt a fair bit and so I'm familiar with wildlife and their mannerisms. About a month ago at a local muni I was playing in a twosome with a buddy of mine and as I was chipping on the par 3 third he yells at me in my backswing. I pull off and look at him like WTF he points to the edge of the rough and about 20 yards from me theres a damn coyote eating a bird he'd just killed. I chip on and finish out the whole and lose track of the dog and as we pull up to 4 he's just off to our right. the damn thing followed us around for about 4 holes. Then after we make the turn he comes out of the brush and appeared again right next to us where he followed for 2-3 more holes.

2. Two summers ago the same guy from the above story had just bought his new ENTIRE set of Nike gear irons, woods, bag, the works. A second friend of ours (who is habitually late) who he rode with shows up 10mins til tee time (per usual) and they load up all their s*** and we head off to tee at no1. everyone tees off and they take off talking mess. I guess in their haste he forgot to strap in his bag. They hit a small patch of gravel and the cart goes to rattling and his BRAND NEW set of gear half way jumps out of the back of the cart and he drags the whole thing for like 50 feet as we are yelling and crying laughing at him. He wore the new off of them QUICK. He still plays those clubs and bag, and we still give him s*** about it relentlessly.

Probably wanted to give you some tips but only knew sign language.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

A number of years ago a funnel cloud (some would say small tornado) touched down right outside our course and cut a swath through the parking lot, through the course itself, and out the other side. A dozen or so of us were in the clubhouse at the time, but luckily got to shelter in the basement, which was set into the ground. The funnel took out all the windows upstairs and tore the doors off and generally f'ed the whole place up. Giant trees on the 1st and 10th holes were found a couple hundred yards from where they were originally. There was also a bare path through the forest on the 6th hole where the funnel exited the course.

We came out from the basement and stood there in disbelief about what had just happened (because this is in northern Maine). After a few minutes, we hear a ball land on the 9th green, adjacent to the clubhouse. LeRoy (one of our "character" members) came playing up and putted out. Turned and looked at us with a "What...?" expression, and drove off down to the parking lot like nothing had happened.

I'm from Southwest Missouri (on the edge of "tornado alley") and I can totally see someone around here doing that.