Ping I200 users

braincramp52

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great clubs. Least forgiving i series I've hit though.

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

Ping doesn't off the Project X LZ shaft according to their site. I wish they did, it would make the decision to get a set much easier. I am seriously considering a used set and just swap the shafts

Project X LZ is now available for free. Has anyone tried them, and what are your thoughts?

I have tested them with 6.0 LZ, Modus 130X, and DG 120 X. Fitter didn't have a 6.5 in the LZ but I really loved the feel of the I200/LZ combo. I saw very little difference in performance with any of those three shafts for me, with the Modus and LZ feeling much better IMO.

Anyone compare distance with some of the other irons out like apex or z565's

I200's are not a "distance" iron

Agree that they are not focused on maximum distance. They are, however, very consistent in their distance control.

I certainly found that they added huge amounts of distance and height. On trackman, I remember that the four iron was carrying 235 (my 714 AP2=220) and the peak height was 140-145 feet (my 714 AP2=110-115). Launch angle went up, spin went down, and ball flight was almost driver-like.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

fantastic irons all around. i had originally gone 5 iron-p, but just added a 4 iron because it was just so much easier to hit than my previous 4 iron and the flight and distance was great.

used to do a 7 wood for a long par 3 on my course, and had trouble being consistent with it. (210 in a tight, tree lined fairway), the 4 iron solved that issue

Hit the i200 today with DG Tour Issue 120 shafts. Great combo. So easy to hit. The sole makes it even easier. I know it is not a so called distance iron, but they are long. Was getting 176 with the 7 iron (33 degrees) and when I hit the TM P790 7 iron next, at 30 degrees, it went about 180-182. About a half-club difference.

If you get the power spec lofts on the i200, I bet they are just as long as the P790 or pretty close, and it is not a key factor for me anyway. Both clubs are attractive. The i200 has a superior sole IMO, contoured just right for turf interaction. Not a club that will dig. P790 a much thicker club, including a substantially wider sole. I like the higher-bounce with a thinner sole design of the i200. I hit them both well.

Fitter recommended power spec for me in the i200 as the 7 iron was apexing at 105 feet and he wants it at 90. No trouble at all elevating the i200. I had tried this club previously in lighter shafts and actually did not like. Went way too high and I lost distance. Did not like the feel. Seemed mushy.

Did not like it with Nippon 105 or AWT. Flies too high. Putting the i200 head into the lower launching DG 120, the club really came alive for me. Love the impact, soft and solid. The 7 iron was 15 yards longer with the heavier shaft. Shows you the difference it can make to get a fitted shaft. Just a really lively, powerful package. Ball launches well, comes down steep and stops on a dime. Also took a few swings with the G400. A great game improvement club if you want one. But for me the i200/DG 120 is the best fit in the current Ping line.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Thought seems to be that the i200’s will be replaced this summer. Given how popular they are with the public and the pro’, I am wondering if they get some additional time - much like the did with the S55s before the iBlades finally came out. I could see Ping releasing the hollow cavity i500’s and keeping the i200’s as is for a while yet.

Pure spec on my part, but it will be a tough go to improve on the i200’.

These are the irons that get my j15cb shake. There are really interesting.

Have you compared the two? I currently play the j15cb, but am thinking it's time for g400s even though I really want the i200s. Going to hit them Monday. Curious if there is a size difference between i200 and j15cb.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I have both i200 and g400. i200 are almost a club and a half shorter for me but feel so much nicer, have better distance dispersion, and are ohhh so much more pleasant to look at. but the g400 are great and i’ve got much more confidence hitting an 8 into a green than a 7.

quite the sticky predicament

I have both i200 and g400. i200 are almost a club and a half shorter for me but feel so much nicer, have better distance dispersion, and are ohhh so much more pleasant to look at. but the g400 are great and i’ve got much more confidence hitting an 8 into a green than a 7.

There is a 2.5* difference in the stronger lofted 400’s v I200. Could be almost 4* difference in 8 iron if the 400’ had power spec loft and I200 were traditional.

I'm very interested in this set. I have played a forged set of cavity's / blades or AP2 types clubs for a while. Like most on this thread, I'm looking for some help (forgivness) on off days. So, I'm thinking of these or some Mizuno JPX 900 forged. I have not hit the i200 but I did hit a demo 900 forged with a PX LZ 5.5 and felt incredibly hard. Not looking to hit the ball higher (usually very windy where I live) so I need to be able to flight it down.

Thanks in advance for any input....

There is a 2.5* difference in the stronger lofted 400’s v I200. Could be almost 4* difference in 8 iron if the 400’ had power spec loft and I200 were traditional.

yeah, I know there’s a loft difference. there’s also a pretty big forgiveness difference which is a huge part of why I hesitate in just making the jump to the i200. my g400 were fit for me too, green dot +.5” and the i200 are standard length blue dot. I may send to ping to lengthen and bend (and maybe power spec, but i’m not sure I hit a high enough ball to compensate for the lower lofts) if I don’t end up doing a fitting for a “distance player’s iron” like p790 or forged tec.

I played my first round today with i200s. Best distance control/consistency and turf interaction I can remember.

Bad shots were all blatant operator error, plenty of forgiveness.

Distance/degree loft exactly as expected.

I'm reshafting my GW so not in the bag today - easily dialed back my PW to GW distance.

Some of it is probably the shaft...turns out recoil 110 F4 is a good fit for me right now.

Flew the green on 185 yd par 3 with 5i. No wind, hitting off peg and tee was elevated maybe 20 ft which helped, but still, ~195 with my clubhead speed is not short for 26* iron.

just ordered I200's 5-P with PXLZ 5.5........for some reason, I always go back to Ping!

I can't wait to get them!

give us your feedback when you have them

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

I've been a Mizuno iron player for over 10 years, and have played various combinations of MP-57's, 68's, 54's, H4's, 60's, 64's, and 5's. I've had my current set of MP-5's (w/ Nippon 950GH-R) for two seasons now. Given that I'm not getting any younger, I decided it might be time to look at a set of irons that are a bit more forgiving, and that help get the ball in the air a little easier. I've never been a huge Ping iron fan, although my driver, woods, and hybrids are Ping G400's. Prior to that I played G30's.

I had some time to kill on Monday so I stopped by the PGA Superstore to hit a few clubs. I wanted to take a serious look at the i200's, AP2's, and JPX 900 Tour's. An hour later I had placed an order for the i200's (w/ XP 95-S, Red, +1/2", 1 deg weak). I started with the i200 with the 950GH shaft, but the fitter said it was too soft a flex for me and suggested I try the XP 95 in S300. My dispersion narrowed considerably. I hit a couple dozen balls, and I think I had one poor shot. The i200's were ridiculously easy to hit. Everything was a nice baby draw. Even the toe hits were getting out there (on the Trackman). I generally hit a low ball with little spin, and while I didn't come close to getting the optimal spin on the 7 iron, it was pretty close. I hit my MP-5 7 iron 155 yards, and I was getting 165 from the i200. Given that the stock Mizuno is 1 degree weaker than the Ping, and I have it bent 1 degree weak, the actual difference was closer to 5 yards. I believe the XP 95 shaft was the biggest contributor to the gain.

I next hit the AP2's and the JPX 900 Tour's, and they weren't even close. I know I was starting to get a little fatigued, but I could tell right away that the clubs just weren't for me, and the fitter agreed. Both clubs felt worse than my MP-5's. The mishits were pretty bad.

So, it looks like I've joined the Ping (iron) family. I guess I'll have to ditch my Mizuno cart bag and pick up a nice DLX bag. Lol. I'm a big fan of the LPGA, and pretty much ever Ping staffer plays i200's. If I can come anywhere close to hitting them like In Gee or Brooke I'll be a very happy camper. I hope to see the irons next week. At worst, I hope they arrive before Memorial Day, as I'm planning a trip with 6 or 7 rounds on the agenda.

Oh, one last thing. I paid $100 a club, which was pretty much a bargain. The Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips set me back another $13 a club, the even with tax they were less than $120 a club. I assume Ping will be releasing a replacement this year?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

just ordered I200's 5-P with PXLZ 5.5........for some reason, I always go back to Ping!

I can't wait to get them!

give us your feedback when you have them

I called today to make sure they were ordered because I had called on a Saturday. They said it looks like they were in the process of being built and to check back on friday to see if they had tracking info. Looks like Christmas in May!

I will post some feedback as soon as i have them.

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

I second what I read above, someone said that with the lighter shafts they felt like mush to me.

I had i200 power spec with the 105 modus, and liked them OK, but never thought they were anything special. Makes me wish I had tried some different shafts in them before selling them. I'll probably just continue to play either my E1 or my G25 until the replacements get released.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Mine are on the way! I200 (4-p) with DG 120 X100 (cushin) and Midsize Tour Velvets. Power spec!!! Can't wait to give these a try. I'm going to make a real effort to move away from blades given my current lack of playing time, and these were real winners during my testing. I've always had a soft spot for Ping, so I am pumped about this purchase!

Mine are on the way! I200 (4-p) with DG 120 X100 (cushin) and Midsize Tour Velvets. Power spec!!! Can't wait to give these a try. I'm going to make a real effort to move away from blades given my current lack of playing time, and these were real winners during my testing. I've always had a soft spot for Ping, so I am pumped about this purchase!

An appealing combo. I think the DG 120 is such a nice shaft. Congrats.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

An appealing combo. I think the DG 120 is such a nice shaft. Congrats.

Thanks! I fit into standard x100, but I’ve been battling some elbow and forearm pain and wanted to try the cushin inserts to see if they would provide me some relief. I figured with the added weight of the insert the 120 version made sense. We’ll see. I’m pumped to give them a go!

i200 with steelfiber x110 - Top 5 scores of all time in the last 12 months.

I am considering buying the iBlades from 6-PW to play a combo set but Im not sure why, zero complaints so far.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, still waiting for my first round. :(

Modus 105 stiffs are the shafts of choice. DG 105s #2.

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I went and hit the i200’s again yesterday. I owned a set with DG X 100’s last year and ended up selling them. The X 100’s was to much shaft for me.

I’ve tried them recently with DG 120, Modus 105, Steel Fiber 95. I love the look and the forgiveness, but I can’t get the launch and spin down.

Launch Angle 22*

Spin 7,200 rpms

Ball Speed 110 mph

Carry 150 yds

Total Distance 159 yds