PXG - It's About Time to give them a try

tigerfan23

I went to see a fitter a couple months back, he sells (and has a personal set of) both Miura and PXG. He said Miura, hands down, is the better club. He was another person on the list of people stating that PXGs have hot spots. Sorry, but $350/head and still have occasional flyers? No thanks.

I have had the PXG GEN1 irons including the 0311X driving irons, 2 - 5; the 0311XF, 3 - 7; and 0311T, 3 - P. I had these from early 2016 and sold them in late 2017.

I do NOT recall every seeing a "hotspot" flier from these irons...period. Fliers, yes, just like any other iron off wet grass. Do you think that the PXG Tour Pros would have any success if they were having to deal with hotspot fliers?

This is just more fake news that you heard that gets thrown around and has no truth to it whatsoever.

If I was seeing such shots do you think I would be putting the GEN2 irons in the bag?

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

So does anyone's handicap actually go down after switching to these clubs? If so, from what to what?

There are many posts that I have seen of players lowering their handicaps after moving to the PXG clubs from inferior clubs.

But, If you trade your Civic in on a Corvette Z06 do you think you will get to the grocery store any quicker? .... You have to know how to use what you have.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

So does anyone's handicap actually go down after switching to these clubs? If so, from what to what?

There are many posts that I have seen of players lowering their handicaps after moving to the PXG clubs from inferior clubs.

But, If you trade your Civic in on a Corvette Z06 do you think you will get to the grocery store any quicker? .... You have to know how to use what you have.

Agreed Bob, you have to know how to use what you have. What isn't clear is, will a properly fitted set of PXG result in lowering one's index over a properly fit set of any other major brand?

BTW... Not sure if your car analogy is flattering for the brand because it makes it sound like pxg is more about flash than function.

I went to see a fitter a couple months back, he sells (and has a personal set of) both Miura and PXG. He said Miura, hands down, is the better club. He was another person on the list of people stating that PXGs have hot spots. Sorry, but $350/head and still have occasional flyers? No thanks.

I have had the PXG GEN1 irons including the 0311X driving irons, 2 - 5; the 0311XF, 3 - 7; and 0311T, 3 - P. I had these from early 2016 and sold them in late 2017.

I do NOT recall every seeing a "hotspot" flier from these irons...period. Fliers, yes, just like any other iron off wet grass. Do you think that the PXG Tour Pros would have any success if they were having to deal with hotspot fliers?

This is just more fake news that you heard that gets thrown around and has no truth to it whatsoever.

If I was seeing such shots do you think I would be putting the GEN2 irons in the bag?

You're arguing that since you haven't got any fliers from these heads (one person, one set of heads) that no one ever has, and these heads can't produce them? Let that sink in for a moment, and google "anecdotal evidence" while you're waiting.

I've read stories from, and talked to real people, who have said this happens sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes. The occasional flyer, and the fact I think Bob Parsons is an (incredibly successful) arrogant buffoon, is enough to convince me not to spend a pile of money on these irons.

I have no idea of your purchasing habits or why you buy these irons. Lots of people out there play with clubs that have incredibly inconsistent performance, and replace them with newer, similar clubs. You buying a second set in a row could be an indicator that they are a great product, or that a fool and his money are easily parted (or it could mean a million other things, or nothing at all). It's a red herring.

I'm glad you haven't seen any of those shots off your irons. I sincerely hope you are just as happy with your GEN2.

Agreed Bob, you have to know how to use what you have. What isn't clear is, will a properly fitted set of PXG result in lowering one's index over a properly fit set of any other major brand?

BTW... Not sure if your car analogy is flattering for the brand because it makes it sound like pxg is more about flash than function.

Congrats! you understood exactly what I said.

You're arguing that since you haven't got any fliers from these heads (one person, one set of heads) that no one ever has, and these heads can't produce them? Let that sink in for a moment, and google "anecdotal evidence" while you're waiting.

I've read stories from, and talked to real people, who have said this happens sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes. The occasional flyer, and the fact I think Bob Parsons is an (incredibly successful) arrogant buffoon, is enough to convince me not to spend a pile of money on these irons.

I have no idea of your purchasing habits or why you buy these irons. Lots of people out there play with clubs that have incredibly inconsistent performance, and replace them with newer, similar clubs. You buying a second set in a row could be an indicator that they are a great product, or that a fool and his money are easily parted (or it could mean a million other things, or nothing at all). It's a red herring.

I'm glad you haven't seen any of those shots off your irons. I sincerely hope you are just as happy with your GEN2.

I suggest you try the PXG irons. Perhaps that might change your view, quickly!

Let us know what you think of them.

I’d spend my money else where....I I liked them, but significant gains on course? NO. I still game PXG wedges as I like the feel in comparison to my other wedges...but I’m back to 718 CB’s and couldn’t be happier. If you wanna blow a couple G’s on golf equipment buy a nice purtter that will always hold its value. Unless you’re getting them for the price of a really nice set from another OEM, don’t expect magic in comparison to what else is out there. In my opinion puring a Mizuno or Titleist is really no different to a PXG iron, and distance; doesn’t sell me on irons as long as dispersion is tight, and distance is consistent that’s what matters to me. Just my .02 from a season played.

At $1400 for a nice set of 718 AP2’s, that’s a third of what my PXG’s cost me, if I were in your shoes and had to do it again, I’d think over all of the other golf equipmen/ lessons, before driving off the lot. Not hating, I said I liked, just don’t justify the tag for me.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Loved the original set of PXG 0311 / 0311T’s , But the new Gen 2’s are so much better, no comparison. For me, there aren’t any better irons out there, Don’t care what you play or what you spend your money on but these are well worth every penny!!!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Loved the original set of PXG 0311 / 0311T’s , But the new Gen 2’s are so much better, no comparison. For me, there aren’t any better irons out there, Don’t care what you play or what you spend your money on but these are well worth every penny!!!!!!

What clubs did you move away from when you went to pxg and how much did your handicap improve by?

did a fitting at club champion 6 months ago. I've played Mizuno for the last 15 years. at the fitting, tried out: Mizuno vs. Titleist AP3 vs. PXG vs. Callaway vs. Taylormade P790. ended up with the P790's. In my demo the P790's outperformed the pxg's in terms of consistent smash factor and performance of hits on the more bottom part of the club which is a tendency for me. I went with the P790's and have been very happy with them. Its not that its the most important thing in an iron but the P790's were consistently longer for me than the pxgs

Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
HCP 2.9

What clubs did you move away from when you went to pxg and how much did your handicap improve by?

Exactly ... When you say well worth every penny, how many strokes per round are we talking?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Exactly ... When you say well worth every penny, how many strokes per round are we talking?

lol........that's the question I wanted to ask Tiger as he just got some new irons.

Perhaps Tiger just wanted some irons that had that look, feel, and control that he was accustom to using and now he is playing them.....wonder if his handicap is lower now?

Same thing in PXG for me....it is more about the unique feel (soft and muted that no other iron has) and look that PXG brings to my game that those hard/harsh cast club heads from my past did not have.

They were terrible feeling and I was wanting a iron that had a great feel....BINGO....PXG. Some like the feel; some don't......try them to find out.

It is not about distance although PXG has five models of irons to choose from and one of those will be the right mix of looks, feel and distance that will suit your game, and yes the all have that great PXG feel.

If all you want is more distance try one of the many new distance irons that come with a 26* 7 iron! Yikes. :D

Im sure they are nice but no way can I justify spending that much money on a set when I can hit any other brand out there just as well when I'm properly fitted. My Apex CF 16 are keepers but then again those were not cheap but Wow! do I love them. Buying any expensive set of iron without being properly fitted is throwing your money away.

If you have the money and you like them and have been fitted awesome, but I bet over 50% of golfers go out and will buy exotic clubs without being fitted and boy even in my 60's do I love to take their money on the golf course.Lol

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

You say control but if there was more control then that should translate into a lower handicap.

I certainly get the "feel" thing which can be especially noticeable for less than perfect contact.

I'm sure if I find the right putter (which is half the scoring in the game) my handicap will drop like a rock!

Maybe a PXG putter?

At my age, I just hope to keep the `cap close to what it currently is at....4.

How many folks who complain about the price of PXG have bounced around from set to set and ultimately spent more than a properly fit set of PXG irons would have cost them if they purchased PXG first? You can put my name at the top of the list. Who's next?

This issue is common and has nothing to do with PXG. (also makes for an awesome used club market :))

My hypothesis is that any properly fit set will perform as well as a properly fit set of PXG. I still have yet to see any data that shows otherwise.

Many will spend a lot of money on a luxury car that will get to the grocery store no better than a cheaper car....BUT the nicer interior, sound system, luxury ride all makes it worth the extra $ spent to obtain that driving experience.

Still waiting for an answer from Tiger!

Many will spend a lot of money on a luxury car that will get to the grocery store no better than a cheaper car....BUT the nicer interior, sound system, luxury ride all makes it worth the extra $ spent to obtain that driving experience.

So the only difference in pxg and other clubs is comfort?

BREAKIING NEWS!! You could say that about any club.

Good luck on your search for the Holy Grail club.

Good luck on your search for the Holly Grail club.

I'm not searching. Once you have properly fit clubs that you enjoy its up to the operator.

It's those selling pxg hype that are trying to sell them as a holy grail = smoke and mirrors.

Good luck on your search for the Holly Grail club.

I'm not searching. Once you have properly fit clubs that you enjoy its up to the operator.

It's those selling pxg hype that are trying to sell them as a holy grail = smoke and mirrors.

dont buy them then