For those that have applied the GG pivot

Comments

• GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee  1733Members Posts: 1,733
    i*windows wrote:

RichieHunt wrote:

I took a lesson from GG on 4/20 (no pun intended). I was over in LA that week and scheduled it back in February because I wanted to make sure I could get time with him. Since I’ve never taken a lesson from him, either online or in-person, I scheduled a 2-hour session with him.

RH

great write up thanks for taking the time to do it, I enjoy watching his videos on Instagram, but I think to do his moves you probably need to see him in person. Just curious what is GG like?

You think he is different when the cameras are not rolling?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • i*windowsi*windows  2236Members Posts: 2,236
    Golfbeat wrote:

i*windows wrote:

RichieHunt wrote:

I took a lesson from GG on 4/20 (no pun intended). I was over in LA that week and scheduled it back in February because I wanted to make sure I could get time with him. Since I’ve never taken a lesson from him, either online or in-person, I scheduled a 2-hour session with him.

RH

great write up thanks for taking the time to do it, I enjoy watching his videos on Instagram, but I think to do his moves you probably need to see him in person. Just curious what is GG like?

You think he is different when the cameras are not rolling?

no idea, just wondered how he was, I like his teaching style.
    Posted:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.
  • diablocrusherdiablocrusher  188Members Posts: 188
    Great write up! Glad to hear what an actual lesson with GG is like, I've been following his stuff for a while, and also trying to implement it.
    Posted:
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Cobra F8
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker  3741Members Posts: 3,741
    i*windows wrote:

RichieHunt wrote:

RH

wigger-15344.jpg?w=500
    Posted:
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt  3840Members Posts: 3,840
    GG is great in person. What you see is what you get. I’ve said this for a long time…golf instruction is a people business. You can learn all of the mechanics and have every high tech gizmo known to man and teach at Augusta National…but if you’re not in tune with a wide variety of personalities you’re not going to be a good instructor.

I’m an East Coast guy. I was born and bred in Upstate New York which is a stark contrast to the attitudes you see in Southern California. But GG is the real article and there’s nothing phony about him. And he’s not ‘that guy’ who tries to overpower you with his personality and if you don’t quite match his energy then he isn’t into teaching you. GG brings the same energy from lesson to lesson regardless of the person and I greatly appreciate that.

If I had to nitpick, it was that after GG understood who I was and that I was friends with Chris Como and have taken lessons in MORAD and Kelvin and know Dana Dahlquist, Mark Blackburn, etc. GG seemed to feel like he needed to correct himself to some of his wording. It seemed like he was in fear of me being the ‘science police’ and catching him in a mistake. For instance, he tried to correct himself a bit with the terminology of ‘absorbing the ground’ with my left foot in the downswing. I understood what he meant.

It’s hard to articulate…but for the most part I really don’t care about the science. I just want to improve and if what your teaching works…that’s all of the science I need. But, I can certainly understand GG’s situation as you always have some Herb that can’t wait to tear your teaching apart just because your verbiage may be taken out of context or not 100% accurate.

RH
    Posted:
  •  Dave D Dave D  4032Members Posts: 4,032
    Kuchhhhhh wrote:

**** those positions are good
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
    3 iron: Srixon ZU85 20* w/ Nippon Modus 120x

4-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 34" w/ P2 Aware Tour

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png

Advertisement
  • KuchhhhhhKuchhhhhh  2243Members Posts: 2,243
    Dave D wrote:
    Kuchhhhhh wrote:

**** those positions are good

Danas got some studs for sure
    Posted:
    Taylormade M4 10.5 Atmos X stiff
    Taylormade M4 16.5 Proforce V2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 & 4 iron, 716 AP2 5-PW X100
    Titleist SM6 50, 54, 60 S300
    Taylormade Spider Red
  • sethdavidsdadsethdavidsdad  1839Members Posts: 1,839
    Kuchhhhhh wrote:

I may be wrong but the push up doesn't happen until the hands are already going left. The last pic is just into or the begining of the push up with pelvis. Again I'm not an expert but seems like I remember DD saying that this happens after hands are already in the 4th pic position. The push up and extension actually should make the hands continue more up and in front.
    Posted:
    Epic 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X
    TM Mini driver 14*
    Rogue 5 Wood Diamana D+ X
    Mizuno MP18's 4-5SC, 6-PW MB
    Yes Callie
    Vokeys SM6 52,56,60
    WITB Link
  • benenenbenenen  6Members Posts: 6
    What cause the pelvis level at P6 from P5, by left pelvis rise? by right pelvis lower?

Thanks.
    Posted:
  • joeuncjoeunc  1158Members Posts: 1,158
    As the left shoulder goes up and around starting about p5 this gets left hip working up and around too
    Posted:
  • benenenbenenen  6Members Posts: 6
    joeunc wrote:

As the left shoulder goes up and around starting about p5 this gets left hip working up and around too

joeunc, thank you!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX  9141ClubWRX Posts: 9,141
    GG on Golf Channel talking about Matt Wolff and his unusual move:

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/driven-sneak-peek-matthew-wolffs-unusual-swing/
    Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    Taylormade SLDR Mini (14°) Matrix White Tie 70X
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83  5545Members Posts: 5,545
    saw the last driven show, Matt seems like one of the most competitive guys on the team especially for a freshman, seemed like a senior around the other guys. That's a big reason why he's so good
    Posted:
  • KuchhhhhhKuchhhhhh  2243Members Posts: 2,243
    Anyone see George on social media take a swing at 17 with some players on wednesdays practice round? First one was a cold hard shank lol but he did stick the 2nd one.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M4 10.5 Atmos X stiff
    Taylormade M4 16.5 Proforce V2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 & 4 iron, 716 AP2 5-PW X100
    Titleist SM6 50, 54, 60 S300
    Taylormade Spider Red
  • diablocrusherdiablocrusher  188Members Posts: 188
    Kuchhhhhh wrote:

Anyone see George on social media take a swing at 17 with some players on wednesdays practice round? First one was a cold hard shank lol but he did stick the 2nd one.

I'll have to go look for that, that would be pretty amusing. Sounds like the vid him and Johnny did with Me and My Golf. I don't think the plan was for GG to take any swings but they kind of pressured him into it for the video. He was not loose I'm sure and hit some bad shots. Me and My golf did him pretty dirty not editing that out I think. I feel he catches some slack on social media from that video. I'm pretty sure he's a good player and him not being able to hit 17 at surrounded by tour pros doesn't make me think any less of his teachings haha.
    Posted:
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Cobra F8
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
    Danny Lee playing well!
    Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

Advertisement
  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 8050Members Posts: 8,050
    Sung Kang...Not as well
    Posted:
  • lopey986lopey986  2329ClubWRX Posts: 2,329

Kuchhhhhh wrote:

I'll have to go look for that, that would be pretty amusing. Sounds like the vid him and Johnny did with Me and My Golf. I don't think the plan was for GG to take any swings but they kind of pressured him into it for the video. He was not loose I'm sure and hit some bad shots. Me and My golf did him pretty dirty not editing that out I think. I feel he catches some slack on social media from that video. I'm pretty sure he's a good player and him not being able to hit 17 at surrounded by tour pros doesn't make me think any less of his teachings haha.

Some people trolled him pretty hard on Instagram over his shank on 17 too, talking about how he's just stealing money and doesn't know s*** about the golf swing. Lol, can't help but laugh, some people are just born to hate on anyone and anything that is even slightly different. GG knows what he's doing as evidenced by his impressive student list.
    Posted:
  • Buckets2Buckets2  2532Members Posts: 2,532
    His youtube channel isn't very organized - I've watched a few of the 'most viewed' videos to get a sense of his style/method. I do believe I would fall squarely into the perfect student for his method - that is, his core teachings would immediately help my game and I don't currently execute the primary tenets of his method. I generally strike the ball with a closed or square chest, and do more of a goat hump than a sit/pivot. My strike miss with driver is a lot of heel.

Would anyone mind linking me to his drills and videos that you think would be most applicable to me?
    Posted:
  • GungHoGolfGungHoGolf Student of the Game Austin, TX 911Members Posts: 911
    Go_Time wrote:

Would anyone mind linking me to his drills and videos that you think would be most applicable to me?

Yes.
    Posted:
    Kuchhhhhh wrote:

anyone have a link to the shank?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2083Members Posts: 2,083
    Redjeep83 wrote:

Kuchhhhhh wrote:

Haven't seen it yet either. Fan of George though image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:

Redjeep83 wrote:

Kuchhhhhh wrote:

Haven't seen it yet either. Fan of George though image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

talked to someone and it was on country club collection instagram, they took it down though, guess George didn't like it, lol
    Posted:
  • dedicated2journeydedicated2journey  57Members Posts: 57
    It's not "GG's" pivot. Sam Snead got it from hitting balls barefooted...and I'm sure Wild Bill Melhorn figured it out before him/. Probably right after old Tom Morris.

GG's pivot... image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' />
    Posted:
    " Reverse Every Natural Instinct..."
    -Ben Hogan
    I saw it on the CountryClubCollection Instragram Story, but those expire after 24 hours.
    Posted:
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

• Buckets2Buckets2  2532Members Posts: 2,532
    Has anyone bought the "My Famous Pivot and Turn" video series? The page says it's 13 videos...but how long are those videos?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • GungHoGolfGungHoGolf Student of the Game Austin, TX 911Members Posts: 911
    Go_Time wrote:

"My Famous Pivot and Turn"

Isn’t that redundant?
    Posted:
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt  3840Members Posts: 3,840
    I just got an online from GG.

I started struggling and had not been using a camera to record my swings and take a look. Mainly because it rained so much in the FLA in the month of May that I couldn't get out and practice. And I mean it rained practically the entire month of May.

I then tried to fix some things on my own w/o a camera and then tried some things from other instructors w/ a camera and that was a bad mistake. What got me back on track was going thru videos on his old Web site (I still have a membership until his new site is fully loaded w/videos) and working from there.

Unfortunately, I had already sent GG the videos of my swing prior to getting back on track using his old videos.

The online lessons are not cheap ($200), but GG really goes above and beyond. And the good news is that some of the changes I made to get back on track where what GG ended up prescribing in the online lesson. And there were some other things GG presented in the online lesson that I had not heard discussed before that I think are interesting.

My goal is to get shallow enough at p5. I think when my swing is on, the performance is quite good. I have gotten up to 170 mph ball speed with the driver and 127 mph ball speed with my 7-iron.

But the issue for me is repeatability. I'm not looking to be a machine out there, but since I shallow out at the last moment, it means questionable clubface and low point control.

For instance, yesterday we played 36 holes and the first 18 holes we played in perfect conditions and I shot the ugliest 77 one could shoot. And I needed to start striping the ball on the last 4 holes to shoot that 77.

Then on the second 18 with the winds starting to blow 20-25 mph, I go out and hit 15 GIR and only had 1 hole where I didn't have a par putt inside 5-feet and shoot -2 under, 70. I also hit a 345 yard driver on the last hole, downwind.

Anyway, GG sent me an e-mail going thru each position of the swing with his commentary and then a final overview of what he wants me to work on. Then he sent me roughly 15 different videos going over what he wants me to work on.

It pretty much starts with the address position. My posture is where GG wants it now, but my pelvis is a little forward at address and I'm willing to bet that I have too much pressure on my right foot at address. That puts a lot of bad things in motion. This is one of the key things I worked on before GG got back to me.

I also changed my pelvic movements in the backswing, freeing up the pelvis a little more. But, GG also mentioned that the use of my right leg in the downswing is quite poor and I can't push off it as I go into impact. It's funny because I worked on the right leg on my last 2 holes yesterday and I blistered a 290 yard drive into a sidewind and then on the next hole I hit that 345 yard drive downwind.

But getting more pressure on the left foot from p1 to p4 is the big key. I tend to have gapping issues with my PW and SW as I hit them shorter and I think this is where the swing mechanics issues really show up when I'm off. It gets to the point where I have more confidence with a 5-iron from 205 yards than I do with a PW from 130 yards. Fortunately, it can still produce good driver performance. For now, I'm fairly pleased with the direction we are going and look forward to more instruction.

RH
    Posted:
  • airjammerairjammer  1213Members Posts: 1,213
    RH,

Do you think you will ever be competent getting the match ups correct without being able to get a lesson from him frequently?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • pusb365pusb365  651Members Posts: 651
    Hey guys.

I've been following GG for a long time and incorporated various aspects of his ideas from time to time. I often see good early results but stop with it as I find it difficult to keep it up without any lessons with him.

Anyway after playing like s##t in my club championships yesterday I decided I really need to make some changes in my swing. I'm a low single figures so not a terrible player but I'm so inconsistent it's ridiculous.

I've ALWAYS had a very inside takeaway and from there it's a lottery as to whether I get steep in transition and wipe at the ball or whether I get it shallow.

I decided enough was enough and so I decided to emulate Jonny Ruiz as he has a very steep to shallow swing and I figured that might be the best way to get rid of my inside takeaway.

Only one range session in but pleased with the results so far.

Here is a video from todays session (sorry I cut the end a bit abruptly)

[media]

And here is a before and after. After is on top, before was taken a week ago.

vfhvtc.jpg

Keen to hear if you guys think I'm on the right track!!?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file