Is the Golf Swing nothing more than a Baseball Swing...bent over..??

Parzinski

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan

[media=]

[/media]

Ted Williams

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwogLVGtDa8&feature=PlayList&p=98BB7D44F15980A3&playnext=1&index=7[/media]

Looking at the clip of Hogan demonstrating his move...looks a lot like Williams...except in right handed...

Is the golf swing the same as a baseball swing...with a little more bend at the waist?

Similar in many ways. I have worked with batting instructors that say take the handle to the ball or hands to the ball let the barrel follow. I shared the Pure Ball Striker with Chili Davis at the 2008 FBR Open and I wanted to talk baseball he wanted to talk golf anyway Chili supports these concepts hands to the ball.

Mr. Hogan was a big fan of Ted and observed Mr. Williams hitting motion for many years and noticed the similarities.

Also, many local softball and baseball teams use the Pure Ball Striker. One fellow in a softball tournament went 26 for 28 in home runs.

It's most often referred to keeping your hands inside the baseball. You definitely don't cast the barrel. That's something you hear dad coaches in little league tell kids

I’ve played scrambles with a couple former pro and semi pro ball players. Baseball players naturally understand the golf swing as the mechanics are very similar. One guy I played with, former catcher, could hit a 3w further than I have ever seen. Couldn’t hit a straight driver to save his families life and had no touch, but his mechanics were fairly sound.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

The similarities are really the same with any hitting or throwing motion - starts from the ground up. The release in baseball is NOT similar to golf. You do no cast the bat through the hitting zone as previously stated.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Many similarities between the two.

If the 2 were the same, then why wasn't Hogan batting clean up for the Yankees? Great golfers can't hit a baseball to nearly the same capacity as a golf ball.

Because one is stationary and the other is coming at 95+MPH. I think the OP was referencing the actual swing itself similar to hitting a baseball off a tee.

The golf ball is not stationary.

This may sound silly at first but in the golf swing the ball is in the way as the club head travels in an arc from inside to online then back to inside. You dont try to hit at the ball as the club is on the target line for just a fraction of a second. In baseball you are trying to drive the ball forward on the target line back from where it came from. I learned to play baseball years before I learned golf and have had to retrain my mind to keep from swinging down the line and flipping at the golf ball in an effort to drive it at the target line. I think the body movements are similar except way more ponounced and down the line in baseball.

very true in the release.. You absolutely flip at or before impact with a baseball bat.. if your right hand didnt pass over your left you hit weak flairs to 1st base all day... with a proper release in golf you flip the sameway and shes heading 40 yards left of left.. Lots of similarities...But not same same

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If the 2 were the same, then why wasn't Hogan batting clean up for the Yankees? Great golfers can't hit a baseball to nearly the same capacity as a golf ball.

Because one is stationary and the other is coming at 95+MPH. I think the OP was referencing the actual swing itself similar to hitting a baseball off a tee.

Is that one of those metaphors where you imagine the club is in a state of stillness while it is the ball that moves? (I suppose you yell “ohmmmmm” instead of “fore!”, too, yeah?)

Bunch of non baseball players in here. lol

Golf swing is more closely related to Tennis back hand than baseball. Baseball teaches knuckles to the pitcher and palms facing sky and ground through impact. Tennis has that same flat left wrist and release like golf.

Many baseball hitters prefer a bent left arm to keep the hands closer in to the body. Golf teaches a wider arc with hands farther from you at the top.

Golf swing is more closely related to Tennis back hand than baseball. Baseball teaches knuckles to the pitcher and palms facing sky and ground through impact. Tennis has that same flat left wrist and release like golf.

Many baseball hitters prefer a bent left arm to keep the hands closer in to the body. Golf teaches a wider arc with hands farther from you at the top.

Playing with a fairly strong grip (a more common sight these days) is similar.

I’m talking more of a chop down a tree with an axe type of move. That would pretty extreme, even for someone like Tommy Gainey.

This may sound silly at first but in the golf swing the ball is in the way as the club head travels in an arc from inside to online then back to inside. You dont try to hit at the ball as the club is on the target line for just a fraction of a second. In baseball you are trying to drive the ball forward on the target line back from where it came from. I learned to play baseball years before I learned golf and have had to retrain my mind to keep from swinging down the line and flipping at the golf ball in an effort to drive it at the target line. I think the body movements are similar except way more ponounced and down the line in baseball.

very true in the release.. You absolutely flip at or before impact with a baseball bat.. if your right hand didnt pass over your left you hit weak flairs to 1st base all day... with a proper release in golf you flip the sameway and shes heading 40 yards left of left.. Lots of similarities...But not same same

You need to look at some slow motion base ball swings. We call that rolling over the pitch and it goes nowhere.

Because hitting a stationary ball vs. hitting major league pitching isn't even in the same ballpark, no pun intended.

I was a div. I college baseball player and I think the swings are very similar. Power came easy, putting however, does not.

You need to look at some slow motion base ball swings. We call that rolling over the pitch and it goes nowhere.

What took you so long ? Lol

Think of the finish position for a correct baseball swing vs a golf swing. Now my view maybe more skewed as I am an upright player in golf. My finish is high unless im trying to hit a left running left hook. In baseball you finish around behind you. If you swing a golf club that way and release the hands it can’t help but be left of left. Also. If you hold on to the bat and do not release ( think check swing ) how can it not go to 1st base ? Maybe 2nd. In baseball you certainly should be thinking hit it with he right hand no ? In golf it’s not that way unless you intend to hit a hard draw. Orhave a super fast lower half that can clear and stay ahead of the hands. In golf the release is somewhere inbetween for Control . Driver maybe being the exception. I have to release that pretty hard to square it up.

I agree the moves and outcomes are similar. But can’t say they are same same. Surely you aren’t saying baseball players don’t fully extend and release the trail hand ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I’m talking more of a chop down a tree with an axe type of move. That would pretty extreme, even for someone like Tommy Gainey.

Another fine move.

>>You absolutely flip at or before impact with a baseball bat.. <<

Yes, if you want to hit into a double play. That's called rolling over the ball.

Edit: I see someone else already referenced the term "rolling over the ball as well"

Hogan

[media=]

[/media]

Ted Williams

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwogLVGtDa8&feature=PlayList&p=98BB7D44F15980A3&playnext=1&index=7[/media]

Looking at the clip of Hogan demonstrating his move...looks a lot like Williams...except in right handed...

Is the golf swing the same as a baseball swing...with a little more bend at the waist?

Similar in many ways. I have worked with batting instructors that say take the handle to the ball or hands to the ball let the barrel follow. I shared the Pure Ball Striker with Chili Davis at the 2008 FBR Open and I wanted to talk baseball he wanted to talk golf anyway Chili supports these concepts hands to the ball.

Mr. Hogan was a big fan of Ted and observed Mr. Williams hitting motion for many years and noticed the similarities.

Also, many local softball and baseball teams use the Pure Ball Striker. One fellow in a softball tournament went 26 for 28 in home runs.

It's most often referred to keeping your hands inside the baseball. You definitely don't cast the barrel. That's something you hear dad coaches in little league tell kids

The only "casting of the barrel" that I've seen (from good players) is when they're completely fooled by an off speed pitch and just flip the hands and barrel in an attempt to make contact and foul it off.

What took you so long ? Lol

Think of the finish position for a correct baseball swing vs a golf swing. Now my view maybe more skewed as I am an upright player in golf. My finish is high unless im trying to hit a left running left hook. In baseball you finish around behind you. If you swing a golf club that way and release the hands it can’t help but be left of left. Also. If you hold on to the bat and do not release ( think check swing ) how can it not go to 1st base ? Maybe 2nd. In baseball you certainly should be thinking hit it with he right hand no ? In golf it’s not that way unless you intend to hit a hard draw. Orhave a super fast lower half that can clear and stay ahead of the hands. In golf the release is somewhere inbetween for Control . Driver maybe being the exception. I have to release that pretty hard to square it up.

I agree the moves and outcomes are similar. But can’t say they are same same. Surely you aren’t saying baseball players don’t fully extend and release the trail hand ?

In baseball you try to hit the ball out front, so yes you do hold off the release (compared to golf). If you hit the ball as it’s crossing the plate (you swinging late or slow), you’ll hit down first base line or the dugout. To hit it left, you hit it more out front. You aren’t trying to control a face angle like in golf. It’s more about the angle and direction of the bat. Add to that, the amount of shoulder tilt based on the angle of the pitch.

>>You absolutely flip at or before impact with a baseball bat.. <<

Yes, if you want to hit into a double play. That's called rolling over the ball.

Edit: I see someone else already referenced the term "rolling over the ball as well"

maybe i should say ..."feel vs real" folks.. im sure it happens post impact... but to me it feels like during ... point was the feeling of releasing a baseball swing isnt same as a golf swing , exception being driver ...maybe.

edit... not sure why i posted to begin with.... Ill concede... SURE guys hitting a golf ball is EXACTLY like hitting a baseball ....lol...Thats why so many ex baseball players are great golfers..( score not power) .. funny thing is the only ones i can think of are ex pitchers.... and none of them can hit a lick... hmmmm

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Similar if you compare it to a professional swing. Problem is, most people do not know how to make a proper baseball swing.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Is that one of those metaphors where you imagine the club is in a state of stillness while it is the ball that moves? (I suppose you yell "ohmmmmm" instead of "fore!", too, yeah?)

Are you one of those who actually believes our sun arcs across the sky.

Is that one of those metaphors where you imagine the club is in a state of stillness while it is the ball that moves? (I suppose you yell "ohmmmmm" instead of "fore!", too, yeah?)

Are you one of those who actually believes our sun arcs across the sky.

Are you one of those people who plays a lot of rounds by himself?

Yes, and this is what makes the golf swing so spectacularly difficult. You're being asked to hit a flat backhand down-the-line with your non-dominant arm. It takes strength and coordination that most people just don't have. Small wonder everyone comes over the top.