Ping I200 users

braincramp52

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are on the way! I200 (4-p) with DG 120 X100 (cushin) and Midsize Tour Velvets. Power spec!!! Can't wait to give these a try. I'm going to make a real effort to move away from blades given my current lack of playing time, and these were real winners during my testing. I've always had a soft spot for Ping, so I am pumped about this purchase!

An appealing combo. I think the DG 120 is such a nice shaft. Congrats.

Thanks! I fit into standard x100, but I’ve been battling some elbow and forearm pain and wanted to try the cushin inserts to see if they would provide me some relief. I figured with the added weight of the insert the 120 version made sense. We’ll see. I’m pumped to give them a go!

I dont know which DG 120 I fit into. I was testing the 120 S300, which is 112g. Am assuming you went with the X100 that Ping offers, which is 114g. The Tour Issue versions are slightly heavier but not offered by Ping.

I was trying to get the shots apexing at 90 feet or so, but at 88 mph with the 120 S300 they were still apexing at 105 feet and the 7 iron was going 170-172. The fitter said I should go with the power specs to hit the optimum flight window. I always worry that X flex shafts will be too stiff for me, but maybe I can handle the lighter version of the X100. Do they feel as stiff as the standard DG X100 or does the weight reduction soften them a bit? I played C Taper Lites in the X flex (115g) and liked them. Have never played an X100 and he did not have that one on hand in the stock DG 120.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I put a set of these back in the bag after a long hiatus and had my best ball striking day of the year. 15/18 GIR's, with the three I missed being comprised of 2 horrible swings and 1 good swing where for some reason I thought I could hit a 5 iron 195 uphill into the wind and get it there. Proximity was also much improved on the day with lots of good looks at birdie. Excellent feel off the face paired with the LZ 6.0. All in all very happy I decided to move back to them.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Mine are on the way! I200 (4-p) with DG 120 X100 (cushin) and Midsize Tour Velvets. Power spec!!! Can't wait to give these a try. I'm going to make a real effort to move away from blades given my current lack of playing time, and these were real winners during my testing. I've always had a soft spot for Ping, so I am pumped about this purchase!

Thanks! I fit into standard x100, but I've been battling some elbow and forearm pain and wanted to try the cushin inserts to see if they would provide me some relief. I figured with the added weight of the insert the 120 version made sense. We'll see. I'm pumped to give them a go!

I dont know which DG 120 I fit into. I was testing the 120 S300, which is 112g. Am assuming you went with the X100 that Ping offers, which is 114g. The Tour Issue versions are slightly heavier but not offered by Ping.

I was trying to get the shots apexing at 90 feet or so, but at 88 mph with the 120 S300 they were still apexing at 105 feet and the 7 iron was going 170-172. The fitter said I should go with the power specs to hit the optimum flight window. I always worry that X flex shafts will be too stiff for me, but maybe I can handle the lighter version of the X100. Do they feel as stiff as the standard DG X100 or does the weight reduction soften them a bit? I played C Taper Lites in the X flex (115g) and liked them. Have never played an X100 and he did not have that one on hand in the stock DG 120.

I may be in the minority here, but I have always felt that there was very little to no difference in "how stiff" x100's felt compared to s300. The only difference to me was ball flight.

I put Modus 120's in mine and with the stiffer tip in those the ball flight could not be any better

just ordered I200's 5-P with PXLZ 5.5........for some reason, I always go back to Ping!

I can't wait to get them!

give us your feedback when you have them

Ive had this set in a black dot for the last two weeks and they are perfect! Good feel and proper distance with enough spin to hold greens, usually not more than 3 ft from the pitch (had G400s prior that wouldn’t hold greens worth a darn)!

Thanks! I fit into standard x100, but I've been battling some elbow and forearm pain and wanted to try the cushin inserts to see if they would provide me some relief. I figured with the added weight of the insert the 120 version made sense. We'll see. I'm pumped to give them a go!

I may be in the minority here, but I have always felt that there was very little to no difference in "how stiff" x100's felt compared to s300. The only difference to me was ball flight.

I put Modus 120's in mine and with the stiffer tip in those the ball flight could not be any better

Great stuff. Thanks to all who chined in with the experiences and info on the X100. I am going to try the DG 120 in S300 and X100 next week. Also will try the Nippons and a few others of my favorites.

Club is chosen. Definitely getting the i200 but felt the driver fitting I did was so worthwhile, may as well do a shaft fitting for the irons. If I had not done the driver fitting, on my own I would have bought a higher lofted head with a more flexible shaft. Learned a lot.

Will get some numbers and report back on what I went with.

Curious for anyone still gaming these notices that the short irons seem to be more upright? I've currently been gaming mine and been having issues with the 8,9,W wanting to go left.

TaylorMade QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

TaylorMade stealth plus 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Taylormade stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Curious for anyone still gaming these notices that the short irons seem to be more upright? I've currently been gaming mine and been having issues with the 8,9,W wanting to go left.

Part of the reason I stopped playing them, I just never felt as comfortable with the 8-GW as I should, my miss was always left, I thought it could be the Recoil shafts. But the thing is, I loved the 4-5 irons, rarely hit them left, but would hit those once or twice a round, whereas I was hitting the short irons 12-14 times a round.....and short irons have always been the best part of my game.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Part of the reason I stopped playing them, I just never felt as comfortable with the 8-GW as I should, my miss was always left, I thought it could be the Recoil shafts. But the thing is, I loved the 4-5 irons, rarely hit them left, but would hit those once or twice a round, whereas I was hitting the short irons 12-14 times a round.....and short irons have always been the best part of my game.....

It takes about 5 minutes to have the lie angles checked and only a few minutes more to have them adjusted. Cost is minimal.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

It takes about 5 minutes to have the lie angles checked and only a few minutes more to have them adjusted. Cost is minimal.

You just needed your 8-pw a little flatter. Not uncommon to have a mixed set. PING would have adjusted them for free. Just an FYI for next time.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

You just needed your 8-pw a little flatter. Not uncommon to have a mixed set. PING would have adjusted them for free. Just an FYI for next time.

If you got these fitted and it is not fitting, Ping will adjust it probably for free, but really, any competent club bullder can do it. Not uncommon at all for pros to leave long and mid irons more upright and bend the short irons flatter. Easy fix with Ping color code system. Lots of players go blue dot in long irons and black or red in short irons. Upright can make it easier to hit a draw in long irons but you may not need it in scoring irons.

Remember, Stan Utley says we would all be better off with short irons at 62 degrees vs the 64 or even 64.5 you see these days. Why? He says if you play scoring irons at 62, you won’t lose it left. A lot of brands now with PW at 64 degrees and I find that too upright so I flatten them a bit. (There is no ‘standard’ except within brands. Ping i200 is 64.1 in black dot wedge and that is typical of many brands. Mizuno standard is typically 1 degree flatter; MP18 is 63 in wedge.) Last thing I want is a strong draw on a short iron.

Personally, I game mine at 62.5 or 63 depending. I am very slightly upright and am comfortable there. But I also have one wedge that I had bent to 62 and I use it for practice only to get that feel and see the flight. So if you are losing short irons to the left, slightly flatter lie angle may be your answer.

same issue here. 3-7 iron are money but 8-pw seem to go left.

Would this be a reason i hit 8-pw off the toe more often?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K Kai'li White 60x

3w: Epic Flash Hzrdus 70x

Hybrid: Cally Apex 19°

4i-Pw: Ping i200 PX 6.0

Wedges: SM9 50° / 54° / 58°

Putter: Cally Ten S

same issue here. 3-7 iron are money but 8-pw seem to go left.

Would this be a reason i hit 8-pw off the toe more often?

It “could” be the reason or a contributing factor. The swing is a far bigger factor. Also could be your hands are drifting out instead of down in your transition and you are coming down over the plane. Toe hits are classic symptom of “rescuing” the shot when you are above the proper swing plane and you have good hand-eye coordination, so your brain figures out a way to get the clubface on the ball. You cannot play good golf with that move. Trust me, I know.

A one degree flatter lie angle won’t matter if you are several more degrees over the top in your swing. The usual impact will be a toe hit or, you may square it up and hit a really solid dead pull that goes straight and far and 15 yards left of target.

Also could be you are reacting to the uprightness of the club and trying to steer the shot, which is a move I know well.

Would not hurt at all to bend one flatter and try it out. Just remember, as you start the downswing, hands move straight down, not out away from your body and then down. A straighter drop down will give you a flatter swing anyway which, matched with a flatter lie angle, could solve your problem. Video helps answer the question. Good luck.

I have always had my 9 and PW flatter than my other clubs. Some sets, even the 8 was flatter. I would also check the loft and lie once you order or buy clubs. Even though all these manufacturers claim they are precise on all their angles, I have never had an entire set come back the way I ordered them. Small adjustments, but check them nonetheless.

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Epic Speed (3) 15° - Mitsubishi TB
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Callaway ‘21 Apex Pro 23° - Mitsubishi Tensei HY Blue
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W
  • Ping S159 Midnight- 56°, 60°
  • Taylormade Spider Tour Z

If you got these fitted and it is not fitting, Ping will adjust it probably for free, but really, any competent club bullder can do it. Not uncommon at all for pros to leave long and mid irons more upright and bend the short irons flatter. Easy fix with Ping color code system. Lots of players go blue dot in long irons and black or red in short irons. Upright can make it easier to hit a draw in long irons but you may not need it in scoring irons.

Remember, Stan Utley says we would all be better off with short irons at 62 degrees vs the 64 or even 64.5 you see these days. Why? He says if you play scoring irons at 62, you won't lose it left. A lot of brands now with PW at 64 degrees and I find that too upright so I flatten them a bit. (There is no 'standard' except within brands. Ping i200 is 64.1 in black dot wedge and that is typical of many brands. Mizuno standard is typically 1 degree flatter; MP18 is 63 in wedge.) Last thing I want is a strong draw on a short iron.

Personally, I game mine at 62.5 or 63 depending. I am very slightly upright and am comfortable there. But I also have one wedge that I had bent to 62 and I use it for practice only to get that feel and see the flight. So if you are losing short irons to the left, slightly flatter lie angle may be your answer.

I went through a full fitting with a competent fitter, and he convinced me that overall I should be playing more upright throughout the set (yellow), and even longer than my standard 37 1/4 inch 7 iron, I went 37.5, and I had in the past pretty much played standard specs for lie angle.

Looking at the standard specs of the Callaways I'm playing now (Rogue Pro, +1/4, standard lie) and my i200s, I see Ping does indeed increase the lie angle in the short irons and flatten them in the long irons vs Callaway. So my Ping 9 iron is 65.0° while my Callaway is stock at 63.0°. But my Ping yellow dot 4 iron is 61.3° and 60.5° in my Rogue Pro. Maybe I should play around with the Ping lie angles a bit.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

My 1st set of Ping irons. TT XP 95 shafts (1 deg weak, 1 deg flat, +1/2", S300 shafts w/ Golf Pride MCC Plus 4's). Ain't they purdy?

20180516_164316s.jpg

20180516_164449s.jpg20180516_164435s.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

^ Really nice. Congrats!

Paitiently waiting on my set to ship.

White Dot

+1

LZ 6.0

Been playing the ie’s the past 2 years in Silver 3.75 upright. Felt a little too upright. Fate would have it I lost a 6 iron left on a tee box that was never returned 2 weeks ago. Just the kick I needed to buy the i200’s instead up changing lie on current set and buying a new 6 iron.

Any one Power Spec them? And any pickers have issues with what seems like more bounce on these? Thanks

I'm more of a picker and I love 'em. No problems at all with the bounce. I love the way they glide along the turf without digging much yet still no problem hitting the ball first and picking right off the turf with nothing more than a brush divot. Best irons I've ever owned and I loved my S55s prior to this set.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Paitiently waiting on my set to ship.

White Dot

+1

LZ 6.0

Been playing the ie’s the past 2 years in Silver 3.75 upright. Felt a little too upright. Fate would have it I lost a 6 iron left on a tee box that was never returned 2 weeks ago. Just the kick I needed to buy the i200’s instead up changing lie on current set and buying a new 6 iron.

What swingweight are those coming in at? Do you know or did you specify a target wight? Other than the color code that combo is what I am considering ordering.