2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Walking vs Riding

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe WRX would skew this far towards walkers. That's gotta buck the national trend a lot. Cool to see. I feel like the vast majority of players in my region prefer to ride.

The vanity results you cite are like a 20 capper claiming a 12. When was the last time you saw 4 groups walking for every group riding? Oops, never mind. These are WRXers. Carry on :)

I played a round Saturday morning at Oxmoor Valley (Valley) in Birmingham, AL. It was my 6th round in 3 days, so I was riding. I was in the first group out with 3 walkers. I asked if they minded if I jumped out in front of them, as I was playing another round on the Ridge course later that morning. They said to go ahead. I figured I'd finish in 2.5 hours, and wouldn't see them after the first two holes. Lol. These three guys were on my tail the entire round. I'd be putting out on a green, and look back to see them walking off the teebox. I was mightily impressed.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 3 weeks later...

I played a round Saturday morning at Oxmoor Valley (Valley) in Birmingham, AL. It was my 6th round in 3 days, so I was riding. I was in the first group out with 3 walkers. I asked if they minded if I jumped out in front of them, as I was playing another round on the Ridge course later that morning. They said to go ahead. I figured I'd finish in 2.5 hours, and wouldn't see them after the first two holes. Lol. These three guys were on my tail the entire round. I'd be putting out on a green, and look back to see them walking off the teebox. I was mightily impressed.

an older couple and a 30ish guy with a pull cart?

an older couple and a 30ish guy with a pull cart?

I believe so.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Walked again yesterday and didn't feel fatigued at all during the round. (This morning was a different story however).

I think my stamina for walking is getting much better, however I also think for me I need to hydrate the night before and morning of a round as well. Down side is having to bring 3 bottles of water and a PowerAde with me on the push cart. Lastly I have realized there is a smarter way to walk a course. If I am in the rough or even on the wrong fairway, I make sure I walk on the cart path or shortly mown areas only. Even if it's more steps they are easy steps. No pushing thought thick wet rough and up and over hills if at all possible. Leave the cart in the fairway and take a couple clubs.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Walked again yesterday and didn't feel fatigued at all during the round. (This morning was a different story however).

I think my stamina for walking is getting much better, however I also think for me I need to hydrate the night before and morning of a round as well. Down side is having to bring 3 bottles of water and a PowerAde with me on the push cart. Lastly I have realized there is a smarter way to walk a course. If I am in the rough or even on the wrong fairway, I make sure I walk on the cart path or shortly mown areas only. Even if it's more steps they are easy steps. No pushing thought thick wet rough and up and over hills if at all possible. Leave the cart in the fairway and take a couple clubs.

Good on ya for keeping at it! Any of these push carts can wear you out in a hurry if you don't stick to the short grass.

I remember one August I played 36 holes down at Kiawah. During the afternoon round I was guzzling my umpteenth bottle of water along about the 15th hole and the caddie said, "It's a little late for hydrating after 33 holes". I told him I wasn't still hydrating to feel better then, I was keeping at it to feel better the next morning...

So I actually want some opinions. I walk 9 or 18 about 5 days a week. I like walking and feel like I play better when I do. Usually when I finish 18 I am exhausted. I'm ok with that but I'm pretty active so if I have soccer, bball, gym etc. then I usually can't do both. friend of mine rides so I've been clipping on with him lately, and it's amazing how fresh I feel after a round...

so my question is. Should I just get the cart plan? It's 1000 for the year and I'd definitely get my money's worth. If I did this I would then try and get back to doing more gym and other activities that I'm skipping out on under the pretense that I'm getting great exercise walking the course.

Other option is to just keep walking and ride the 1 or 2 days a week I have bball or soccer or something.

Or just do as I do now and not play golf on those days

So I actually want some opinions. I walk 9 or 18 about 5 days a week. I like walking and feel like I play better when I do. Usually when I finish 18 I am exhausted. I'm ok with that but I'm pretty active so if I have soccer, bball, gym etc. then I usually can't do both. friend of mine rides so I've been clipping on with him lately, and it's amazing how fresh I feel after a round...

so my question is. Should I just get the cart plan? It's 1000 for the year and I'd definitely get my money's worth. If I did this I would then try and get back to doing more gym and other activities that I'm skipping out on under the pretense that I'm getting great exercise walking the course.

Other option is to just keep walking and ride the 1 or 2 days a week I have bball or soccer or something.

I walk for the exercise. That being said, if I did other activities on a regular basis, I would prefer to ride. Unless you are going to give up golfing on those days I think you already made your decision.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

This.

• 4 weeks later...

So I walked today and the heat was on (90 degrees). Maybe it was the 3 mile hike I did last night with the dog but today kicked my a**.

I think anything over 85 degrees is going to be out of my comfort zone this summer. Good news is I got a great workout, bad news my index is going up!!

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

• 3 weeks later...

If I tried to walk at my club, they'd find my body somewhere on the FRONT nine.

Kudos to you kids who can do it, though.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

My budget doesn't allow for carts lol, but I do enjoy the exercise and I feel like I play better walking as opposed to riding. That being said a cart is very nice on hot days or when searching for that low screaming pull that made you slap your driver down.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

depends on what time you guys play as well. Here in florida which is the most humid of gawd knows when.

But if I walk during this season it's 730am or after 6pm. Both are still enjoyable. Anything in between is very uncomfortable.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I booked an early tee time on Saturday, and walk into the pro shop to pay. I requested the walking rate, and was told that they don't allow walking before 11:00 am on weekends. Sigh. Not this sh*t again. Out of 200+ public courses in the Chicago area, less than 10 have this ridiculous rule. I basically told them that I was walking, and they finally agreed, provided I paid the full rate. Well, of course. We all know it has nothing to do with pace of play, and everything to do with $$$.

I played with a twosome sharing a cart, and I was the first on the green on practically every hole. I was the first one on the vast majority of the teeboxes. We finished our round in 3:40.

The last few days I've been struggling with one of my periodic back spasm problems (ah the joys of being a tubby middle-aged desk jockey). I managed to play one round this weekend with only moderate limitation but if I'd have been in a cart instead of walking it would have been a complete no-go. The half hour in the car going to and from the course was by far the most miserable part of a not very pleasant day.

Early on in my playing career, I played with three elderly gents that were 72, 78 and 86 and they all walked using a push cart. I made a pledge that day that "if they can do it. so can I." Also, I came to a realization that I NEED to walk, not only for my health, but to quiet my mind. I find that if I ride and hit a bad shot I will "hate" drive to my ball and still not be calm. When I walk, if I hit a bad shot, by the time I get to the ball I will be calm and moved on from the last shot.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

Early on in my playing career, I played with three elderly gents that were 72, 78 and 86 and they all walked using a push cart. I made a pledge that day that "if they can do it. so can I." Also, I came to a realization that I NEED to walk, not only for my health, but to quiet my mind. I find that if I ride and hit a bad shot I will "hate" drive to my ball and still not be calm. When I walk, if I hit a bad shot, by the time I get to the ball I will be calm and moved on from the last shot.

Totally.

And somehow, when I'm frustrated, it's easy to force myself to walk at a normal speed instead of sprinting after the ball than it is to force yourself to drive a cart in a leisurely manner.

A few weeks ago I was "forced" (not really but social obligations made it necessary) to play two rounds using a cart. The first time I was riding and someone else was driving, driving very aggressively as a lot of golfers do. I spent the entire round totally out of rhythm and played just awful.

Couple weeks later I was back with the same group and as it happened I was allocated a cart by myself. I deliberately drove at less than breakneck speed, stuck to the cart paths as much as possible and just generally took my time getting from one shot to the next. We were waiting on every shot anyway (packed course on a Saturday morning) but spreading out the waiting by leisurely driving was a little more like what I'm used to walking. After a few holes I really found a good groove and played more or less my usual game.

I don't think I could ever get used to the hurry-up-and-wait sequencing of cart golf. Playing in a cart is probably fun if you're by yourself with a wide open course ahead but 4 hours of cart golf feels twice as long as 4 hours of walking golf to me.

walking is a different game. The entire game slows down but for some reason your rounds will be shorter.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

walking is a different game. The entire game slows down but for some reason your rounds will be shorter.

Who knows what would happen if I encounter some kind of severe, disabling health problem one day. But in all honestly I enjoy walking without playing golf more than I enjoy golf without walking.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always played better walking (I carry as well) than riding. I think it's the rhythm of the round that just makes it easier to concentrate. Played in a few outings this year for work where a cart was required and as others have stated, there is so much waiting that I find it hard to stay engaged in the round.

Now, I'm not of the mind that carrying is the only way to play, but a lightweight bag and just the essentials makes walking and carrying easy for me. Just the way that I enjoy the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Like just about anything, it's situational.

My preference is to walk and carry my bag, with a close second for walking with my push cart. The only time I will choose a cart is if I have only a bit over an hour before dark and I'm trying to squeeze in an quick "emergency nine."

On certain courses that are hard or near impossible to walk, I'll take a cart, but I don't like it. I play better when I walk, and I enjoy it more. Not sure why, but I've never tried to analyze it! :-)

One final point -- if it's cart path only and the course is not walkable or walking is not permitted, I'll find another place to play. Cart path only is a crap way to play golf -- can't stand it.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

You can walk The Valley, but I wouldn't walk The Ridge.

Although just thinking about that steep climb after 18 on The Valley course is cramping up my calves.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1