Worst Player to win a Major?

Mwscgolf

Starts and Ends with Ben Curtis... I remember how pissed I was when he won the Open...

As lowheel stated above, Curtis did have success in addition to that week. Not only did he have another opportunity five years later at the PGA, he notched three other Tour wins besides the 2003 Open.

Sure, he was off the radar when he won but that was his first year on Tour... the guy just qualified for the Open due to a good finish less than a month before the tournament! I'll admit that as an Ohio guy I'll always have a soft spot for Ben, loved watching him light up the front side that Sunday, then hang on for dear life down the stretch, with a big assist from Bjorn.

Gotta feel bad for Bjorn though... just something about the Open I guess as Adam Scott did a spot on reenactment 9 years later at Lytham. :black eye:

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was talking with my golf groups after the US Open, and we got to talking on this subject.

Worst Player to Win a Major?

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I thought there might be some good answers.

My top votes?

Keegan Bradley

Jason Dufner

Y.E Yang

Not so much to blast those players, but there are definitely players that deserve a major over these guys.

Give me your best.

I just noticed this and while you have nothing to apologize for regarding this being covered before as I’m sure that it has been, though so has everything else on this board outside of the weekly Tourney threads, lol

Originality this far down the road is not a happening thing, haha

That being said, Keegan??

He’s a two-time Ryder Cupper along with being a perennial Top-100 in the world-

That’s on the face of the earth?

Friggin Jason??

Along with his PGA Championship Victory, he’s got four other Tour wins along with Top-20’s in the other three Majors and also a Ryder Cup under his belt.

You think that that’s easy or not a huge accomplishment???

If Patrick Burke drops in, ask him what kind of Player he thinks Keegan, Jason & YE are and if he thinks that they’re the “worst” to win a Major, hahaha.

Oh, and Y.E.??

Along with being the first Asian to win a Men’s Major, he too had three top-20’s in the other three Majors and in his run to the Q-Finals of the WGC-Accenture MP Championship, he took out Quiros, Cink & Graeme McDowell, three fairly solid Players by anone’s bar, lmao

I understand that the thread is done for shats & giggles and to call any one of the Top-125 to 200 Players on the face of the earth the “worst,” even in comparison to each other, is just wacky, and something that someone with absolutely zero concept of just how good these guys really are, and I’ll even go back to the Top-1000, where my Tour Bud had fallen to #728 before catching fire the following year and taking full advantage of a few SE’s to snag a few Top-10’s to get in the next week when ironically he took runner-up to one of the Boys that you’ve mentioned here and by the time that the season ended, he racked up $1.8M in earnings and finished either 67-68th in the Fed-Ex race, bowing out in the semi-final Tourney and he ended the year at #78 in the world.

My point is that these three Gents are far from the “worst” to ever raise a Major’s Trophy.

Now you wanna throw Danny Willett’s name out there, ok, I’ll STFU and listen while you make your case, lmao???

Stay well Gents?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I understand that the thread is done for shats & giggles and to call any one of the Top-125 to 200 Players on the face of the earth the "worst," even in comparison to each other, is just wacky, and something that someone with absolutely zero concept of just how good these guys really are

This question is a lot like asking who is the ugliest victoria secret model. They are stunning but when your are ordinal ranking someone is going to be the worst.

The bottom is guys with this as their only win or maybe 1 more and very few top 5s elsewhere. I would give Willet a couple more years (he is only 30) before putting him in the Shaun Michael/Beem category but it sure looks like he might end up there.

Was talking with my golf groups after the US Open, and we got to talking on this subject.

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I thought there might be some good answers.

My top votes?

Keegan Bradley

Jason Dufner

Y.E Yang

Not so much to blast those players, but there are definitely players that deserve a major over these guys.

Give me your best.

I just noticed this and while you have nothing to apologize for regarding this being covered before as I’m sure that it has been, though so has everything else on this board outside of the weekly Tourney threads, lol

He’s a two-time Ryder Cupper along with being a perennial Top-100 in the world-

That’s on the face of the earth?

Friggin Jason??

Along with his PGA Championship Victory, he’s got four other Tour wins along with Top-20’s in the other three Majors and also a Ryder Cup under his belt.

You think that that’s easy or not a huge accomplishment???

If Patrick Burke drops in, ask him what kind of Player he thinks Keegan, Jason & YE are and if he thinks that they’re the “worst” to win a Major, hahaha.

Oh, and Y.E.??

Along with being the first Asian to win a Men’s Major, he too had three top-20’s in the other three Majors and in his run to the Q-Finals of the WGC-Accenture MP Championship, he took out Quiros, Cink & Graeme McDowell, three fairly solid Players by anone’s bar, lmao

I understand that the thread is done for shats & giggles and to call any one of the Top-125 to 200 Players on the face of the earth the “worst,” even in comparison to each other, is just wacky, and something that someone with absolutely zero concept of just how good these guys really are, and I’ll even go back to the Top-1000, where my Tour Bud had fallen to #728 before catching fire the following year and taking full advantage of a few SE’s to snag a few Top-10’s to get in the next week when ironically he took runner-up to one of the Boys that you’ve mentioned here and by the time that the season ended, he racked up $1.8M in earnings and finished either 67-68th in the Fed-Ex race, bowing out in the semi-final Tourney and he ended the year at #78 in the world.

My point is that these three Gents are far from the “worst” to ever raise a Major’s Trophy.

Now you wanna throw Danny Willett’s name out there, ok, I’ll STFU and listen while you make your case, lmao???

Stay well Gents?

RP

Rich-arrrd

Not many be doing this with TW lookin over their shoulder

My top votes?

Keegan Bradley

Jason Dufner

Y.E Yang

Give me your best.

I just noticed this and while you have nothing to apologize for regarding this being covered before as I'm sure that it has been, though so has everything else on this board outside of the weekly Tourney threads, lol

He's a two-time Ryder Cupper along with being a perennial Top-100 in the world-

That's on the face of the earth

Friggin Jason??

Along with his PGA Championship Victory, he's got four other Tour wins along with Top-20's in the other three Majors and also a Ryder Cup under his belt.

You think that that's easy or not a huge accomplishment???

If Patrick Burke drops in, ask him what kind of Player he thinks Keegan, Jason & YE are and if he thinks that they're the "worst" to win a Major, hahaha.

Oh, and Y.E.??

Along with being the first Asian to win a Men's Major, he too had three top-20's in the other three Majors and in his run to the Q-Finals of the WGC-Accenture MP Championship, he took out Quiros, Cink & Graeme McDowell, three fairly solid Players by anone's bar, lmao

I understand that the thread is done for shats & giggles and to call any one of the Top-125 to 200 Players on the face of the earth the "worst," even in comparison to each other, is just wacky, and something that someone with absolutely zero concept of just how good these guys really are, and I'll even go back to the Top-1000, where my Tour Bud had fallen to #728 before catching fire the following year and taking full advantage of a few SE's to snag a few Top-10's to get in the next week when ironically he took runner-up to one of the Boys that you've mentioned here and by the time that the season ended, he racked up $1.8M in earnings and finished either 67-68th in the Fed-Ex race, bowing out in the semi-final Tourney and he ended the year at #78 in the world.

My point is that these three Gents are far from the "worst" to ever raise a Major's Trophy.

Now you wanna throw Danny Willett's name out there, ok, I'll STFU and listen while you make your case, lmao

Stay well Gents

RP

Rich-arrrd

[media=]

[/media]

YE is one of the most deserving and probably a better Major Winner that most of the late ones since he is the only one to have beaten the real Tiger Woods on Sunday!

My top votes?

Keegan Bradley

Jason Dufner

Y.E Yang

Give me your best.

I just noticed this and while you have nothing to apologize for regarding this being covered before as I'm sure that it has been, though so has everything else on this board outside of the weekly Tourney threads, lol

Friggin Jason??

Along with his PGA Championship Victory, he's got four other Tour wins along with Top-20's in the other three Majors and also a Ryder Cup under his belt.

If Patrick Burke drops in, ask him what kind of Player he thinks Keegan, Jason & YE are and if he thinks that they're the "worst" to win a Major, hahaha.

Oh, and Y.E.??

Along with being the first Asian to win a Men's Major, he too had three top-20's in the other three Majors and in his run to the Q-Finals of the WGC-Accenture MP Championship, he took out Quiros, Cink & Graeme McDowell, three fairly solid Players by anone's bar, lmao

I understand that the thread is done for shats & giggles and to call any one of the Top-125 to 200 Players on the face of the earth the "worst," even in comparison to each other, is just wacky, and something that someone with absolutely zero concept of just how good these guys really are, and I'll even go back to the Top-1000, where my Tour Bud had fallen to #728 before catching fire the following year and taking full advantage of a few SE's to snag a few Top-10's to get in the next week when ironically he took runner-up to one of the Boys that you've mentioned here and by the time that the season ended, he racked up $1.8M in earnings and finished either 67-68th in the Fed-Ex race, bowing out in the semi-final Tourney and he ended the year at #78 in the world.

My point is that these three Gents are far from the "worst" to ever raise a Major's Trophy.

Now you wanna throw Danny Willett's name out there, ok, I'll STFU and listen while you make your case, lmao

Stay well Gents

RP

YE just won in Japan three weeks ago.

My top votes?

Keegan Bradley

Jason Dufner

Y.E Yang

Give me your best.

Friggin Jason??

Oh, and Y.E.??

Stay well Gents

RP

Rich-arrrd

[media=]

[/media]

I think what many people forget about or never knew about Y.E. Yang is that was not the first time he beat Tiger in a high profile event. He beat Tiger in the 2006 HSBC Champions in China. He said that win helped him in the 2009 PGA.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Events/EventResult.aspx?eventid=3656

My top votes?

Keegan Bradley

Jason Dufner

Y.E Yang

Give me your best.

That's on the face of the earth��

Friggin Jason??

Oh, and Y.E.??

Now you wanna throw Danny Willett's name out there, ok, I'll STFU and listen while you make your case, lmao������

Stay well Gents��

RP

Rich-arrrd

[media=]

[/media]

I think what many people forget about or never knew about Y.E. Yang is that was not the first time he beat Tiger in a high profile event. He beat Tiger in the 2006 HSBC Champions in China. He said that win helped him in the 2009 PGA.

http://www.owgr.com/...px?eventid=3656

Also finished 3rd in the 2011 US Open. Great player