Driven

Well, things wouldn't be equal between a freshman and senior, maybe same scores but the senior has more experience. From what I've seen the senior players will be chosen over say a freshman given same skill set (which is hard to really compare in golf) the freshman has time to learn the ropes from older guys and grow before. They will get their chance and probably play better from all they learned in meantime.

You get be put in the game too early and can be worse in long run just the same as it helping you out, safer the way I mentioned above

If you have a freshman playing on that high of a level, he is better than the senior. He has played in enough junior events nationally, men's state amateurs, national am events, USGA events, qualifiers, etc. that he has as much experience as that senior. Has played with other players just as good or better already. In terms of the psyche of the freshman that will be there another 1-3 years it is better to play him because in all tense and purposes the senior is already gone. It will benefit the confidence of the freshman and trust within the coach.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stratton nolen, his dad on this forum, never gets any play time. I haven't seen him get much play time his entire 4 years. I would be kinda pissed in his situation

He played his sophomore year, but hasn’t played much since that year. He was 1st team All Big 12 that year and made some All American teams.

I certainly don’t know any details on his play since then, but I find it hard to believe the coach isn’t putting his best lineup on the course.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

btw- I'm just bringing up what Stratton's dad has said on this site. He said Stratton had been putting up scores better than the other players leading up to events and doesn't get chosen to play, this was in years past. I guess this happened often so that is where my info is coming from. You guys saying you can't believe the coach wouldn't play the best lineup at the time, well go check out stattons dads thread and give it a read from someone who actually has a player on the team...

straight from the source,,give it a read and then make your opinions

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry13529522

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry13526618

Just seems bitter to me. This was from 2 years ago. Should have transferred then if the kid was telling dad the truth and he wanted to play.

straight from the source,,give it a read and then make your opinions

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry13529522

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry13526618

Just seems bitter to me. This was from 2 years ago. Should have transferred then if the kid was telling dad the truth and he wanted to play.

well it's just the way things go..real world. Like I mentioned before, we don't know all the details and seems his Dad kept him in the right mind frame to stay there if he wanted. I'm sure he had his reasons to stay

Two kids playing at the same level, one a freshman one a senior, the senior will always get the spot. Now if they are playing for the individual, the freshman will always get the spot.

Not true at many places

It’s also true the plenty of times the guy who finishes 5th in Qualifying isn’t necessarily the player who gets to travel with the team. Each team is different but I’ve seen it happen many times.

Two kids playing at the same level, one a freshman one a senior, the senior will always get the spot. Now if they are playing for the individual, the freshman will always get the spot.

Not true at many places

It's also true the plenty of times the guy who finishes 5th in Qualifying isn't necessarily the player who gets to travel with the team. Each team is different but I've seen it happen many times.

I agree. At most places that is not true at all. More to gain for the coach and the program for the freshman to get his feet wet as early as possible.

Not true at many places

It's also true the plenty of times the guy who finishes 5th in Qualifying isn't necessarily the player who gets to travel with the team. Each team is different but I've seen it happen many times.

I agree. At most places that is not true at all. More to gain for the coach and the program for the freshman to get his feet wet as early as possible.

I don't think its the case where the freshman is going to start over the senior every time, sure I would agree about getting some experience. It's going to vary, coach's change lineups all the time and throw freshman in to get experience for awhile. Pretty much happens with any sports teams, nba etc. When it comes playoff time they put the guys with experience in though

an example, the bears got a top rated 2nd pick quarterback in the draft last year but didn't start him even though he was way better than the veteran qb they picked up. They started a crappy veteran over him so that Mitch could learn the ropes before being thrown in. They wanted to go a year before putting Mitch in so he could learn the big stage. This didn't quite happen because they were losing every game with him and eventually put Mitch in. NFL teams do this alot

Not true at many places

I don't think its the case where the freshman is going to start over the senior every time, sure I would agree about getting some experience. It's going to vary, coach's change lineups all the time and throw freshman in to get experience for awhile. Pretty much happens with any sports teams, nba etc. When it comes playoff time they put the guys with experience in though

I decided to look up Oklahoma State stats. Stats do not lie. Stratton had the WORST tournament average on the team this year at 77.9 through 8 rounds. Freshman Matthew Wolf had a 69.97 average which was second best on the team with three T2 finishes. Tyson Reeder left school early. Austin Eckroat, the other freshman, averaged 71.76 with a win. Eckroat had the 8th best scoring average on the team. Coach took the Freshmen over the Seniors even though they were equal. You can't argue with the success the team has had this year. Looking at the stats, this has nothing to do with the height of the player and everything to do with scores.

http://okstate.com/documents/2018/4/26//golf_stats.pdf?id=17026

an example, the bears got a top rated 2nd pick quarterback in the draft last year but didn't start him even though he was way better than the veteran qb they picked up. They started a crappy veteran over him so that Mitch could learn the ropes before being thrown in. They wanted to go a year before putting Mitch in so he could learn the big stage. This didn't quite happen because they were losing every game with him and eventually put Mitch in. NFL teams do this alot

The QB position at the NFL level is apples and oranges to any other sport or any other position on the football field. Very poor comparison.

Not true at many places

I decided to look up Oklahoma State stats. Stats do not lie. Stratton had the WORST tournament average on the team this year at 77.9 through 8 rounds. Freshman Matthew Wolf had a 69.97 average which was second best on the team with three T2 finishes. Tyson Reeder left school early. Austin Eckroat, the other freshman, averaged 71.76 with a win. Eckroat had the 8th best scoring average on the team. Coach took the Freshmen over the Seniors even though they were equal. You can't argue with the success the team has had this year. Looking at the stats, this has nothing to do with the height of the player and everything to do with scores.

http://okstate.com/d...ts.pdf?id=17026

Wow. Looks like Stratton's scoring average is well above the other players. Good info HH. After seeing the stats, It seems a bit odd that they were playing the height card. Needless to say, Stratton seems like a great kid and I hope he gets in the lineup soon.

Not true at many places

http://okstate.com/d...ts.pdf?id=17026

I'm not talking about this year, you realize the comments from stattons dad thread are from spring 2016... You know the year he had the lowest average on the entire team, lol

http://okstate.com/documents/2016/6/9//golf_stats.pdf?id=9279

You guys are right, stats don't like.

He probably lost heart and gave up...

Wow. Looks like Stratton's scoring average is well above the other players. Good info HH. After seeing the stats, It seems a bit odd that they were playing the height card. Needless to say, Stratton seems like a great kid and I hope he gets in the lineup soon.

Yep. 2015-2016 he was the best player on the team with a 71.88 scoring average and won the Big 12 Championship Individual title. Next two years he has the worst average on the team. Numbers don't lie. Height and coaching changes had nothing to do with it. At the end of the day it is about performance.

I'm not talking about this year, you realize the comments from stattons dad thread are from spring 2016... You know the year he had the lowest average on the entire team, lol

http://okstate.com/d...ats.pdf?id=9279

2016-2017 he had the worst average on the team. How is that losing heart? Numbers don't lie. Had nothing to do with height.

2016-2017 he had the worst average on the team. How is that losing heart? Numbers don't lie. Had nothing to do with height.

What do you mean how is that losing heart??? This happened AFTER he had the lowest average on the team and wasn't played fairly according to his dad.

What do you mean how is that losing heart??? This happened AFTER he had the lowest average on the team and wasn't played fairly according to his dad.

ACCORDING to his DAD!!!!

If the kid was putting up numbers he plays. A coach is going to take the kids he thinks he has the best shot winning at. The kid played in 6 tournaments and had the worst average. Numbers don't lie. If he lost heart, that is on him. I want a man that is mentally tough and that isn't mentally tough. In my mind he didn't show any perseverance.

stratton nolen, his dad on this forum, never gets any play time. I haven't seen him get much play time his entire 4 years. I would be kinda pissed in his situation

Why would you be pissed? The players have to qualify to play. There is nothing subjective about it. You either shoot the score or you don't. If you don't you sit at home. That is one of the beautiful things about golf.

From what I've read from people and his dad, he has put up the scores etc but still hasn't got much playing time, mostly because of his size and its been frustrating. The coach that recruited him left his freshman year.

He could have transferred. Obviously it's a decision of ride the bench on a championship team, or get to play a lot for a top 25 somewhere.

Bryan Edwards chose the Gamecocks in football here as he wanted to be the top receiver at a mediocre school instead play 2nd WR or CB at Clemson and win championships. Just have to weigh the pros/cons.

Bryan Edwards chose a school of high academic standards (SEC honor roll) where he will go on to graduate and in the future all those “championship” level Clemson football players will work for Bryan and call him boss.

ACCORDING to his DAD!!!!

If the kid was putting up numbers he plays. A coach is going to take the kids he thinks he has the best shot winning at. The kid played in 6 tournaments and had the worst average. Numbers don't lie. If he lost heart, that is on him. I want a man that is mentally tough and that isn't mentally tough. In my mind he didn't show any perseverance.

yea and his dad was right,, there is no question you will get looked over more when you are 5'5" and aren't a long hitter compared to the other guys on team who are taller and longer hitters. I would do the same thing, its not all about score and numbers being put up like you guys are saying.

Even when he had the lowest average on the team, he was picked over for events to play in. Those comments from his dad are from spring 2016, the year when he had the lowest average on the team and was skipped over for many events. His dad's reasons are very valid

Lots of dynamics going on with coaching a golf team at that level, guys. Not everything is about what is on paper. Kid could have been late to practices, in danger of failing academics, being confrontational with other players and staff, not listening to the coach, etc. Not saying any of that is true, but there are always circumstances that aren't public. Could be it is easier to tell dad some lame reason than be accountable for something tangible. Gotta give professional people the benefit of the doubt when things look too stupid to be believable.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Lots of dynamics going on with coaching a golf team at that level, guys. Not everything is about what is on paper. Kid could have been late to practices, in danger of failing academics, being confrontational with other players and staff, not listening to the coach, etc. Not saying any of that is true, but there are always circumstances that aren't public. Could be it is easier to tell dad some lame reason than be accountable for something tangible. Gotta give professional people the benefit of the doubt when things look too stupid to be believable.

Yes sir. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that this happens.

If the kid and family didn't like it, they should have transferred.

Stratton has always had 4.0 gpa's and on honors. He was obsessed with OSU golf, he wasn't being late or rude to coach. It's a pretty simple conclusion really, power and speed is very important in competitive golf

Stratton has always had 4.0 gpa's and on honors. He was obsessed with OSU golf, he wasn't being late or rude to coach. It's a pretty simple conclusion really, power and speed is very important in competitive golf

Not doubting, but how are you able to confirm all that?

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Not doubting, but how are you able to confirm all that?

Ive followed his witb thread for years since he was a top high school player to going to osu, his dad would give updates on his sons playing, academic status etc all the time. He’s also on the osu golf front page for academic honors right now.