Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

Quick update from my note above, about picking up another set of Hot Metals, this time with Modus 105 S (previous set was originally Modus 105 R, and then re-shafted with XP 105 S300 after a fitting). Played a round yesterday morning, a little cold and rainy, no range time. Threw the Hot Metals into the bag, and it was a great round. I remembered why I really enjoyed the Hot Metals the first time around, before things kind of soured.

Anyway, the Modus 105 S were terrific (the Mizuno optimizer had actually fit me for the X flex a year ago, but the S are obviously a bit easier to load). The heads were great. The dang GW still didn’t quite work for me though—dug with it the first time around last year, and dug with it yesterday. My CBX wedges are a good blend with the Hot Metals. So I am going to give the Hot Metals another run. Feeling good about them again, and they were a pleasure to hit yesterday.

Hey I'm quoting you again...LOL...And really just because I had my first proper round with my Hot Metals today, I've had them just over a week but only been able to get to the range and a few days ago when we played the course was long and wind was big so was pretty much hitting hybrid and 3 wood into every hole.

But today was nice, not to blowy, did some work on the range yesterday trying to work on a new move and focused on that today, wow these irons feel so good, not on mis hits though LOL but a decent swing and the contact is so pure, they really do feel soft IMHO, ball flies off the face, no trouble stopping them, but that's never been my issue, I will agree the shorter irons can dig a little bit which is a new experience for me but not one I think I'll complain about, I only went down to PW as I carry 3 MP-T5 wedges already.

I will say I am very happy I got fitted with the Mizuno swing DNA and that my pro knew what he was doing, we didn't find the shaft until we were on the 10th one, after finding the head, the shaft turned out to be Project X 5.5 115gram, which actually wasn't in to top 3 recommendations, and a 1/2 inch longer than Mizuno standard, I pull an iron and I'm feeling confident and comfortable, as long as I swing right of course :)

Cheers and happy golfing.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went to the golf shop to get my 9 iron fixed. I have been coveting the jpx 900 hm for a while. They had a set on clearance for 699, 6 through LW with graphite shafts, that looked brand new. I asked the owner what the deal was, and he said he built the set for a guy who played one round with them and brought them back for another set. He let me take 2 clubs to try out, so I grabbed the 8 and GW. Holy smokes!! I went back and bought the set. First round with the whole set tomorrow. I am stoked.

So I went to the golf shop to get my 9 iron fixed. I have been coveting the jpx 900 hm for a while. They had a set on clearance for 699, 6 through LW with graphite shafts, that looked brand new. I asked the owner what the deal was, and he said he built the set for a guy who played one round with them and brought them back for another set. He let me take 2 clubs to try out, so I grabbed the 8 and GW. Holy smokes!! I went back and bought the set. First round with the whole set tomorrow. I am stoked.

Which graphite shafts?

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

Quick update from my note above, about picking up another set of Hot Metals, this time with Modus 105 S (previous set was originally Modus 105 R, and then re-shafted with XP 105 S300 after a fitting). Played a round yesterday morning, a little cold and rainy, no range time. Threw the Hot Metals into the bag, and it was a great round. I remembered why I really enjoyed the Hot Metals the first time around, before things kind of soured.

Anyway, the Modus 105 S were terrific (the Mizuno optimizer had actually fit me for the X flex a year ago, but the S are obviously a bit easier to load). The heads were great. The dang GW still didn’t quite work for me though—dug with it the first time around last year, and dug with it yesterday. My CBX wedges are a good blend with the Hot Metals. So I am going to give the Hot Metals another run. Feeling good about them again, and they were a pleasure to hit yesterday.

Hey I'm quoting you again...LOL...And really just because I had my first proper round with my Hot Metals today, I've had them just over a week but only been able to get to the range and a few days ago when we played the course was long and wind was big so was pretty much hitting hybrid and 3 wood into every hole.

But today was nice, not to blowy, did some work on the range yesterday trying to work on a new move and focused on that today, wow these irons feel so good, not on mis hits though LOL but a decent swing and the contact is so pure, they really do feel soft IMHO, ball flies off the face, no trouble stopping them, but that's never been my issue, I will agree the shorter irons can dig a little bit which is a new experience for me but not one I think I'll complain about, I only went down to PW as I carry 3 MP-T5 wedges already.

I will say I am very happy I got fitted with the Mizuno swing DNA and that my pro knew what he was doing, we didn't find the shaft until we were on the 10th one, after finding the head, the shaft turned out to be Project X 5.5 115gram, which actually wasn't in to top 3 recommendations, and a 1/2 inch longer than Mizuno standard, I pull an iron and I'm feeling confident and comfortable, as long as I swing right of course :)

I can play many shafts, but one I know I can always count on is the Project X 5.5. Such a great shaft. I am sure it is quite lively with the explosive HM face. Congrats.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Anyway, the Modus 105 S were terrific (the Mizuno optimizer had actually fit me for the X flex a year ago, but the S are obviously a bit easier to load). The heads were great. The dang GW still didn't quite work for me though—dug with it the first time around last year, and dug with it yesterday. My CBX wedges are a good blend with the Hot Metals. So I am going to give the Hot Metals another run. Feeling good about them again, and they were a pleasure to hit yesterday.

I can play many shafts, but one I know I can always count on is the Project X 5.5. Such a great shaft. I am sure it is quite lively with the explosive HM face. Congrats.

Great to hear, so far I am loving them for sure, thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...
Ok now have the JPX hotmetals in the bag, at long last.

Now looking at a 4 hybrid to compliment.

Something forgiving, but does not look like a wood.

Any suggestions?

Why not the 4 iron? I’ve got 4-PW in PX LZ Tour 5.0.

Or maybe try the new Fli Hi. I’ve heard some really good things about those.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

Ok now have the JPX hotmetals in the bag, at long last.

Now looking at a 4 hybrid to compliment.

Something forgiving, but does not look like a wood.

Any suggestions?

Why not the 4 iron? I’ve got 4-PW in PX LZ Tour 5.0.

Or maybe try the new Fli Hi. I’ve heard some really good things about those.

Yes the 4 iron was on my mind, but thought the hybrid may benefit more.

I have always had the 4 in the past.

I recently purchased a set of Mizuno Hotmetal irons and have the following to say.

I’m not interested on “working the ball” or how far I hit my 5 iron. If you hit. The ball straight then why do you have to “work the ball”. If you hit your 5 iron 175 yards but it’s 185 yards to the green then take your 4 iron. If you can’t hit your ball onto a fairway that’s on average 40 yards wide then what chance have you got of “working the ball” the direction/amount you want. Yes I was that fool, used Pro V1’s bought first a set of Titleist AP1’s then a set of Apex Pro’s and what was happening - balls all over the place and vastly varying distance if I didn’t hit square in the middle of the clubface. A long time ago I had a set of game improvement clubs and I wish I’d never got rid of them. There is no doubt in my mind that weekend warriors like me need to use game improvement irons and balls that are not designed for Pro’s.

My suggestion to most of the golfers I see would be forget the irons the Pro’s use and buying balls that are designed to spin a lot and cost. Waste of money buying these high spin balls as they only spin a lot if you hit them properly and then even if you do can you hit those chip/pitch shots the distance you want.

So after years in the doldrums and spending a fortune on balls and irons came to my senses and disregarded all the brainwashing of golf magazines and reviews. Bought a set of game improvement irons and now use Callaway Supersoft balls (balls are half the price of Pro V1s. Irons were $500 cheaper than the ApexPro’s. Yes there was the initial outlay of the new irons but on the plus side what a difference. Now if I don’t put in a proper swing the ball is still on the fairway and with the irons the distance is consistent even if I don’t middle it on the clubface.

So what about the Mizuno Hotmetals-all I can say is that they are easy to hit, very forgiving and feel great.

Just a little PSA reminder. I think I got the idea in this or another WRX thread, but the JPX 900 Forged GW is a very nice blend with the JPX 900 HM irons. It is frankly what the 900 HM GW should have been, in my opinion. Just a nice, straight-forward GW, not too big or too small. Obviously, great feel. Whereas the 900 HM GW was highly prone to digging for me, the 900 Forged GW is much more reliable for me. Just my .02 cents while you can still order the 900 Forged GW from Mizuno. YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Just a little PSA reminder. I think I got the idea in this or another WRX thread, but the JPX 900 Forged GW is a very nice blend with the JPX 900 HM irons. It is frankly what the 900 HM GW should have been, in my opinion. Just a nice, straight-forward GW, not too big or too small. Obviously, great feel. Whereas the 900 HM GW was highly prone to digging for me, the 900 Forged GW is much more reliable for me. Just my .02 cents while you can still order the 900 Forged GW from Mizuno. YMMV.

So much this...did the same thing the 900 Forged GW is far superior.

[size=2][i]Ping G410 LST 10.5* w/ KBS TD 60S[/i]
[i]Taylor Made Sim Rocket w/ KBS TD 70S[/i]
[i][/i]
[i]PXG 0211 4-GW w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S[/i]
[i]Ping Glide 3.0  54*WS & 58*ES w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S[/i]
[i]Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey 35” [/i]
[i]Titleist AVX[/i][/size]

Loving mine so far, switched from j33cbs with ssx100 to hot metals with modus 105s. After getting used to the major shaft change my tempo smoothed out and I am essentially in point and shoot mode with misses still close to the target.

I am usually around an 85-88 player with maybe a birdie every other round. I am about 15 rounds in with them and my last 5 rounds have been between 79-81 with 3-4 birdies a round. Very happy I made the switch and highly recommend the clubs

Callaway Fusion Hzrdus Yellow
Callaway Epic SZ tour issue Diamana D+
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron S400 
Tourstage X-Blade 4-PW Modus3 120x 
Nike Engage 52sq, 57ts,62ds
Nike Origin B1
Bridgestone Tour BX

Loving mine so far, switched from j33cbs with ssx100 to hot metals with modus 105s. After getting used to the major shaft change my tempo smoothed out and I am essentially in point and shoot mode with misses still close to the target.

I am usually around an 85-88 player with maybe a birdie every other round. I am about 15 rounds in with them and my last 5 rounds have been between 79-81 with 3-4 birdies a round. Very happy I made the switch and highly recommend the clubs

What is your club makeup including hybrids

What is your club makeup including hybrids

910d2 diamana whiteboard 60s @ 44" or Callaway Fusion Aldila Rouge @ 45.5"

Sonartec ss2.5 proforce v2 stiff tipped 1/2" @ 42"

913h 19* matrix white tie tipped 1" @ 39"

JPX 900 Hot Metal 4-pw Modus3 105s 4-9 1/4" short, pw 1/2" short

Vokey sm5 50 F Grind x100ssx2

Vokey sm5 54 F Grind x100ssx2

Vokey sm5 60 K Grind x100ssx2

Odyssey Protype #9

Srixon Z star

Callaway Fusion Hzrdus Yellow
Callaway Epic SZ tour issue Diamana D+
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron S400 
Tourstage X-Blade 4-PW Modus3 120x 
Nike Engage 52sq, 57ts,62ds
Nike Origin B1
Bridgestone Tour BX

To answer an earlier question about using a HM 4 iron vs a Fli-Hi, for me the 4 iron HM wins hands down. The HM 4 iron for me is as easy to elevate as a hybrid but with increased accuracy. I did demo a 22 degree Fli Hi but I found it was less forgiving than the HM and frankly less appealing to the eye. I've actually benched the rest of my HM set in exchange for an older Snake Eyes set that I've kind of rediscovered this year but the HM 4 iron is still a staple of my bag and isn't going anywhere.

I picked a "new" set on Mizuno Hot Metal GW-4 iron, for $550, Nippon Tour Modus 105 Stiff shafts. Holy smokes! Awesome clubs. Trajectories are big & flat. Distance was really nice. The shafts felt GREAT! I usually play X, but these were very stable and response WITHOUT going left! Very nice! Very well done Mizuno! These are bombers.

I have a set of MP 29's with X100's, MP4's with C-Taper 130X, and now these Hot Metals with the aforementioned shafts. Glad to add these to the arsenal :)

• 3 weeks later...

I went the opposite way. I´ve played the JPX 900 forged last saison with mediocre results especially in the long irons although I think I am not a bad iron player. Then a couple of weeks ago Í read in a posting here that even low single hcpers play the HM with succes (thank you Golfwrx!). So without thinking any further or testing I bought a set at my golfshop. OK I took some risk with no testing but this was the best decision I ´ve ever made in golf up to now. Absolutely no more issues with the long Irons. I first had the intention to mix the sets, long irons HM, short irons forged. But I read so many positive reviews on the short irons that I bought the whole set (4-PW) and I must say, that the short irons play fantastic. Same distance as the forged (they are imo not longer than the forged but slightly higher), but I ´ve found they are much straighter and they are very forgiving indeed. I can't understand why some here claim that the forged are as forgiving as the HM. They aren't, at least not in the long irons. I am really impressed. I play the HM with the recoil (due to some shoulder issues) a fantastic shaft as well, compared to my KBS tour. I would recommend everyone, as long as you are not a scratch player, to play the most forgiving clubs you can find. Why make (golf)-life difficult?

I could have written every word of this post as it describes me my situation exactly! :)

Played the forged for a year or so with the Recoil 95 F3 shafts and have never played a nicer feeling combo in my life, 7-PW joy to hit but struggled with the longer clubs. Added the HM in the longer irons and it was a revelation, for the first time in my golfing life I love hitting 4-5irons..

Always liked the idea of playing irons with more help but EVERY improvement iron I’ve ever tried had far too much offset and looked terrible. After loving the HM long irons for a while it seemed to make sense to go all in and add the rest of the set. Best decision I’ve ever made, clubs look almost as good as the forged and are so much fun to play, very happy with my decision.

Also worth saying I tried a few shafts but for me the HM irons with the Recoil F3 shafts = golfing perfection for me, I genuinely can’t imagine there is a better combination of feel and performance out there (for me).

Played yesterday and there is just to big a gap between my PW and my 52deg Vokey. Need to get myself a 50deg wedge.

I can get a JPX 900 Forged GW on eBay for decent money, this a good option? What wedge setup are you using after your PW?

JPX 900 Forged GW blends perfectly with the 900 HM irons. It is really quite surprising how much better the 900 Forged GW is compared with the 900 HM GW (at least for me). I had mine built with the same shaft as my irons (Modus Tour 105 S), but I am debating having one built with a heavier shaft, as I am flighting the 900 Forged GW a bit high. Great wedge though.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter