Robin Arthur and Xcaliber Shafts

Bill S

There's a user that goes by Popeye, whom I believe talks to Robin every so often. Last stated, he was testing a new line of shafts. In fact, I think Popeye had some protos in hand. That being said, I've no knowledge beyond that.

I did give his tour x iron shafts a run. Decent shafts, although I think they needed a post 100 gram shaft.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 2 months later...

Robin Arthur has battled many health issues over the past few years, however he has been given a long term clean bill of health. He got out of the hospital about a month ago, and is back to work re-launching Xcaliber, even back in the gym building his strength. The new website which you can order directly from now is set to launch in 2-3 weeks www.xcalibershafts.com. You can contact him direct at [email protected] if you would like to order shafts before the website is up, we have shafts in stock ready to ship. Robin has put myself Roy Kaltz in place as VP of Operations for Xcaliber, so we will never go offline again! You can contact me at [email protected] with any questions also. We are looking forward to a very exciting 2019 with some very head turning shafts. Stay tuned Xcaliber Shafts are BACK!!!

Robin Arthur has battled many health issues over the past few years, however he has been given a long term clean bill of health. He got out of the hospital about a month ago, and is back to work re-launching Xcaliber, even back in the gym building his strength. The new website which you can order directly from now is set to launch in 2-3 weeks www.xcalibershafts.com. You can contact him direct at [email protected] if you would like to order shafts before the website is up, we have shafts in stock ready to ship. Robin has put myself Roy Kaltz in place as VP of Operations for Xcaliber, so we will never go offline again! You can contact me at [email protected] with any questions also. We are looking forward to a very exciting 2019 with some very head turning shafts. Stay tuned Xcaliber Shafts are BACK!!!

If the website is about to launch, give us some sneak pictures and profiles.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

If the website is about to launch, give us some sneak pictures and profiles.

Here is a sneak peek of some new shafts.

I think xcaliber shafts are great. I gamed the tour x for a loooooong time. I've played almost every line in the catalog; SL, pro, etc. Every single one was GREAT.

But for goodness sake, those graphics are horrendous. As much as I've been anticipating the comeback, does not look appealing, at all.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys -

Robin The Cosmetically Blind-One checking in....;)...

Hey I appreciate your feedback. I really do and truthfully appreciate all feedback - good, bad and ugly. Over the years I've probably learned more from the clubmakers and fitters than they have learned from me. DEFINITELY more from those Kool Kats than any OEM for sure! And our symbiotic relationship and all parties with their respective tasks and goals so this guy is deeply. grateful for everyone's help.

Now regarding the cosmetics, even though you're in the minority by far, I still do need to take your consternations - if i can use that word as it seems appropriate - very seriously and I will. And since I assume you've probably never seen the shafts (nor how the backside morphs into an X which is kule...) perhaps your indignation is a bit premature but that doesn't really matter. Your views are your views and that's really that. Even without the site being up (I'll know status tomorrow...) we've shipped close to 100 POs in 3 weeks and i've made a point of asking everyone their thoughts on the cosmetics - 100% favorable. That's not to say they didn't want to say anything negative but that's tall I have to go on.

But obviously I cannot change the cosmetics as they're already in the market. In 2 years maybe but that decision will make itself.

Again, thanks for the feedback and the kind words as it relates to performance and pricing <and in a round-about way respecting my/our mantra of telling the truth re: price vs. performance of the shafts and my feeble attempts at bringing a sense of morality to this industry>. Swimming up-stream for sure eh?

Anyway, you should know I give my 1000%+ on all designs and their testing and their respective cosmetics. When I was doing mini-focus groups including a LOT of folks at last year's PGA Show again everyone was favorable - and I wasn't always standing there to pre-elicit a favorable response - and i'll tell ya....my long-time friends would've given to me unmercifully if they were indeed "horrendous"! And believe me...over the years i've gotten it handed to me pretty good a couple times...;)...

Cheers!

R

• Like 1

Hey Guys -

Robin The Cosmetically Blind-One checking in.... ;)...

Hey I appreciate your feedback. I really do and truthfully appreciate all feedback - good, bad and ugly. Over the years I've probably learned more from the clubmakers and fitters than they have learned from me. DEFINITELY more from those Kool Kats than any OEM for sure! And our symbiotic relationship and all parties with their respective tasks and goals so this guy is deeply. grateful for everyone's help.

Now regarding the cosmetics, even though you're in the minority by far, I still do need to take your consternations - if i can use that word as it seems appropriate - very seriously and I will. And since I assume you've probably never seen the shafts (nor how the backside morphs into an X which is kule...) perhaps your indignation is a bit premature but that doesn't really matter. Your views are your views and that's really that. Even without the site being up (I'll know status tomorrow...) we've shipped close to 100 POs in 3 weeks and i've made a point of asking everyone their thoughts on the cosmetics - 100% favorable. That's not to say they didn't want to say anything negative but that's tall I have to go on.

But obviously I cannot change the cosmetics as they're already in the market. In 2 years maybe but that decision will make itself.

Again, thanks for the feedback and the kind words as it relates to performance and pricing <and in a round-about way respecting my/our mantra of telling the truth re: price vs. performance of the shafts and my feeble attempts at bringing a sense of morality to this industry>. Swimming up-stream for sure eh?

Anyway, you should know I give my 1000%+ on all designs and their testing and their respective cosmetics. When I was doing mini-focus groups including a LOT of folks at last year's PGA Show again everyone was favorable - and I wasn't always standing there to pre-elicit a favorable response - and i'll tell ya....my long-time friends would've given to me unmercifully if they were indeed "horrendous"! And believe me...over the years i've gotten it handed to me pretty good a couple times... ;)...

Cheers!

R

Good to know your are back on your feets and that your line up of shafts continues, the golf industry need folks like you who dont mind swimming up streams. Graphics and colors is important for some, not for others, but the feedback ive got from my customers was that the less colors and labels there is, the better, so a quality shaft dont need fancy graphics, a small sticker if any is all they want. (my customers never wanted shaft labels on their iron shafts, so "less is better" for some.)

And .....welcome on board, please visit frequently, your knowledge of shafts in general would be a asset for this forum.

Cheers

HJ.

• Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Hey Guys -

Robin The Cosmetically Blind-One checking in.... ;)...

Anyway, you should know I give my 1000%+ on all designs and their testing and their respective cosmetics. When I was doing mini-focus groups including a LOT of folks at last year's PGA Show again everyone was favorable - and I wasn't always standing there to pre-elicit a favorable response - and i'll tell ya....my long-time friends would've given to me unmercifully if they were indeed "horrendous"! And believe me...over the years i've gotten it handed to me pretty good a couple times... ;)...

Cheers!

R

Good to know your are back on your feets and that your line up of shafts continues, the golf industry need folks like you who dont mind swimming up streams. Graphics and colors is important for some, not for others, but the feedback ive got from my customers was that the less colors and labels there is, the better, so a quality shaft dont need fancy graphics, a small sticker if any is all they want. (my customers never wanted shaft labels on their iron shafts, so "less is better" for some.)

And .....welcome on board, please visit frequently, your knowledge of shafts in general would be a asset for this forum.

Cheers

HJ.

I agree 100%, Howard.

Less the better. Maybe a limited run of fancy colors, matte, etc to satisfy the few.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the new Xcaliber web site is finally up and running.

https://xcalibershafts.com/

Titleist 915D3 driver, Graphite Design YS-six nano reloaded S

Ping G425 Max 3 fwy, Ping Tour 75 S

Adams Super 9031 hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid 100 R

Wishon 575 MMC CB, Nippon NS Pro 1050 S

Taylormade 52 degrees, KBS Tour V wedge

Taylormade ATV, 56 deg, KBS Tour V wedge 

Odyssey White Ice #2 putter

I think they look great. One side seems to have more graphics and the other side is a simple x in a shield.

Glad you're back Robin. I'll be giving your shafts a try. I'm a fan of the diamana blueboard. What would be comparable in your shafts for a fairway wood.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I also play these shafts in all my clubs except wedges and love them. I wish they toned down the current graphics, though. The first generation graphics (circa 2010-2012) were the nicest, IMO. The simple yet contemporary colors, graphic design and fonts made it easy to match with an assortment of heads and grips. I also think that they would get better brand awareness if they called these "AXE (Arthur Xtreme Engineering)" rather than "XCaliber" shafts which doesn't sound as exciting as the former. This is just my opinion.

I actually like the graphics. But what I don't like is the shipping costs. $20 to ship a shaft is ridiculously high. The previous Tour X 105 was my favorite hybrid shaft (sad to see the 105g was dropped in the new Pro line) but at $20 to ship there's no way I'll order a shaft. Hopefully you are working with some notable distributors like Goflworks/Hireko/Value Golf.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

I actually like the graphics. But what I don't like is the shipping costs. $20 to ship a shaft is ridiculously high. The previous Tour X 105 was my favorite hybrid shaft (sad to see the 105g was dropped in the new Pro line) but at $20 to ship there's no way I'll order a shaft. Hopefully you are working with some notable distributors like Goflworks/Hireko/Value Golf.

What?!!!

There is zero reason shipping should be $20.

Smmfh.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 2 months later...

I agree with most everyone here relative to the graphics, shipping, etc.. The graphics remind me of one of those gaudy ski boats and I wish I could just paint it over but, in my condition, there are bigger fish to fry. I wish they'd just keep them simple and classy....and give them a name that people can take more seriously....just my opinion. If those few small but very important details were different, they'd be too good to be true. I'm a late stage cancer patient and I'm losing strength faster than I can keep up with so I thought I'd try their new Superlight/S shaft in a 44.5" Cobra F8+ driver. The shaft got the SW down to C7, allowing for some hot melt weighting....BUT, I have hit literally nothing but long straight drives with this club...literally every one. I've been using PX LZ's, Hazrdus yellow, Grafalloy Red, etc. and never anything lighter than D3 for my driver, but I've never experienced such a stable shaft as this Superlight....and, for the time being, I'm leaving it right where it is at C7. I've slowed down to right about 95mph with the driver and I can almost swing it without completely wearing me out and I'm carrying it right about 230, which is pretty long for 95mph, but just as important is the dispersion....there is none. At the same time, I ordered an RT Spin Wedge shaft for my 60*. You can hear the ball spinning it's going so hard. Another incredible piece of engineering. If they made this Superlight shaft for irons, I'd have ordered them already. I sure hope they rethink the graphics for the next run of shafts though.

Anyone try the new taper tip, constant weight iron shafts?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

• 2 months later...

Bump. Has anyone tried the standard (non-pro) fwy shaft and if so what are your experiences? TIA

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

• 1 month later...

Just when I was ready to order some new lightweight shafts for my hybrids, the website goes down. What's up Robin? I hope you're reintroducing these excellent shafts with a little less in-your-face graphics. You'd be taking the golf world by storm with some serious looking and subtle branding and graphics. I hope all's well with Xcaliber (cringe). I think something along the lines of "KBS". KBS is a good example of a company that has been very successful with their name and graphics...simple, serious, and good.

They look good>>>they sell. If they look good AND perform well>>>Katie bar the door. These shafts are a real bargain....the best reasonably priced shaft by a mile.

• 8 months later...