2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

AWD Luxury Sedans

altess27

Hi All,

Hoping for some input on AWD Luxury Sedans. I'm currently in an SUV but I really miss driving around in a sedan. I have no kids and never haul a thing so space for me is not an issue. Checking to see if anyone has any input on brands like Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Lexus. What I'm looking for is something in 2016-2017 range and really couldn't get anything more expensive than a 5 series or E Class. It has to be AWD because I live in Minnesota.

Thanks!

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Fuji Ventus Black 8X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan of Cadillac?

I don't own one but i sit in them when i'm waiting for my Buick at the dealer and make engine sounds with my mouth

CTS comes in AWD and is in that range

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Cadillac would be great too, I've never owned any of these brands so I'm basically just looking for recommendations or success stories with certain brands. Thanks for the suggestion! I know there are there other like Lincoln, Jaguar, and Infiniti that also make nice AWD sedans.

I'm on my second Infiniti and think the sedans are fantastic. I had the G35x sedan for 7 years - which I am pretty sure got renamed the Q70 or something like that. But overall its a fantastic car that the AWD system was great. If I lived in your neck of the woods I would probably still run Blizzaks on it in the winter though.

IMO the one great thing Infiniti had going for it was that their option packages seemed way more reasonable priced than the comparable BMW or Mercedes.

Anyway, I was/am really happy with Infiniti overall.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I've driven the XT5 because my father in law has one, I'm a GM convert.....they are pretty nice cars.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm on my second Infiniti and think the sedans are fantastic. I had the G35x sedan for 7 years - which I am pretty sure got renamed the Q70 or something like that. But overall its a fantastic car that the AWD system was great. If I lived in your neck of the woods I would probably still run Blizzaks on it in the winter though.

IMO the one great thing Infiniti had going for it was that their option packages seemed way more reasonable priced than the comparable BMW or Mercedes.

Anyway, I was/am really happy with Infiniti overall.

I was thinking about a used Q70 convertible. Looks like a nice car and flies in under the radar.

I'm certainly biased but don't overlook the Kia Stinger GT. AWD.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I’d second the Infiniti. Prior to my Jag I had a G35x that was great in the snow/ rain. It was really reliable until the end (170,000 mi) and the few times it was in the shop it was reasonable to repair.

My wife is on her second Lexus RX (SUV) in the last 15 years and they are bulletproof. I’m not sure which sedan models have AWD but we’ve been extremely happy with Lexus. I think the only knock on Lexus is that they are pretty bland as far as style and power but if those things don’t matter to you then they are definitely worth a look.

I'd second the Infiniti. Prior to my Jag I had a G35x that was great in the snow/ rain. It was really reliable until the end (170,000 mi) and the few times it was in the shop it was reasonable to repair.

Yeah the only reason I went to the FX37 was that as I started playing more weekend tournaments and taking more golf trips - it was easier to load with multiple bags and/or push carts. Otherwise I'd probably still be driving the same car.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

I'm certainly biased but don't overlook the Kia Stinger GT. AWD.

Likewise, was going to suggest the Cadenza/K900. My old man just got the new Cadenza, coming from a Lexus. He likes it way more. More power, more luxury options on the interior, and AWD. The inside of the thing is just really nice. I believe the trim is the Limited trim.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

I'm a big fan of Audi in the luxury sedan market. It's hard to beat the interior of the current Audis and their exterior styling is great. I preferred the way the older audis drove over the newer ones (specifically the B7 A4 model which ended production in 2008 was my favorite but the newest one is a close second) but I still like the newer ones more than most other cars out there.

BMW makes great cars but they don't resonate with me. It's purely a preference thing. I don't like the way interior sets up and I don't like the setup of their electronics (the GUI). I also don't love the exterior styling on the BMWs, although the newer ones are a step in the right direction. BMWs are typically quicker than Audis when comparing them and do perform a bit better, but, as a daily driver and commuter car I would take the softer, slightly slower Audi over it.

I like everything about Mercedes except the way the cars drive. I think they look good on the inside and out but I just don't like driving them. Softer, less responsive, no real sporty aspect about them until you get into an AMG line (but at that point I would personally take a M or S/RS car over an AMG).

I don't know enough about Caddy, Infiniti and Lexus to really state an opinion. I think the new Infiniti lineup looks stunning. I haven't driven one though so I really can't say anything else. As for Cadillac and Lexus, I just don't like the way they look so I have never been invested in learning more about them. Again, styling is so personal to everyone so that's not really an opinion to base a decision off of.

But yeah, I have always loved the Audi lineup. I drove a 2008 A4 for 95k miles. It had some small issues like switches and sensors going out but nothing critical and nothing super expensive. Maintenance will be more expensive than a Japanese or American car. The big thing with them is to stay on top of the maintenance. Do what's recommended, take it to a shop that knows German cars, and stay on top of it. If you do, you will have less issues. German cars aren't like Hondas where you can seemingly run them on water and be good to go.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Thanks for the input everybody! I'm starting to look a bit more into Infiniti, really nice designs and interiors it seems like.

I'm a big fan of Audi in the luxury sedan market. It's hard to beat the interior of the current Audis and their exterior styling is great. I preferred the way the older audis drove over the newer ones (specifically the B7 A4 model which ended production in 2008 was my favorite but the newest one is a close second) but I still like the newer ones more than most other cars out there.

BMW makes great cars but they don't resonate with me. It's purely a preference thing. I don't like the way interior sets up and I don't like the setup of their electronics (the GUI). I also don't love the exterior styling on the BMWs, although the newer ones are a step in the right direction. BMWs are typically quicker than Audis when comparing them and do perform a bit better, but, as a daily driver and commuter car I would take the softer, slightly slower Audi over it.

I like everything about Mercedes except the way the cars drive. I think they look good on the inside and out but I just don't like driving them. Softer, less responsive, no real sporty aspect about them until you get into an AMG line (but at that point I would personally take a M or S/RS car over an AMG).

I don't know enough about Caddy, Infiniti and Lexus to really state an opinion. I think the new Infiniti lineup looks stunning. I haven't driven one though so I really can't say anything else. As for Cadillac and Lexus, I just don't like the way they look so I have never been invested in learning more about them. Again, styling is so personal to everyone so that's not really an opinion to base a decision off of.

But yeah, I have always loved the Audi lineup. I drove a 2008 A4 for 95k miles. It had some small issues like switches and sensors going out but nothing critical and nothing super expensive. Maintenance will be more expensive than a Japanese or American car. The big thing with them is to stay on top of the maintenance. Do what's recommended, take it to a shop that knows German cars, and stay on top of it. If you do, you will have less issues. German cars aren't like Hondas where you can seemingly run them on water and be good to go.

Audi does have the best interiors followed closely by Mercedes but Audi has been regressing with their exterior styling with the recent models. The sedans have lost the edge and are starting to look more like a basic Toyota or VW. And the new Qs are gawd awful! They are walking a fine line between SUV and Minivan. I was actually really looking forward to the redesign until I saw it and the Audi was quickly off my list of cars to drive. But to each his own, and they do make a pretty comfortable ride.

Audi does have the best interiors followed closely by Mercedes but Audi has been regressing with their exterior styling with the recent models. The sedans have lost the edge and are starting to look more like a basic Toyota or VW. And the new Qs are gawd awful! They are walking a fine line between SUV and Minivan. I was actually really looking forward to the redesign until I saw it and the Audi was quickly off my list of cars to drive. But to each his own, and they do make a pretty comfortable ride.

I actually really like the current gen A4. As long as you get it with the S Line trim. But yeah I agree about the Q cars. I really have never been a big fan of them anyway. 2 years ago I was in the market for an SUV. I drove the Q5 and Q7. I just didn’t love them. Got in a Touareg and immediately bought it. It’s a shame VW is discontinuing the Touareg in the US. One of the best SUVs on the market.

May be a small thing but one thing I dont like about a lot of Audi models - and Mercedes too - is the static display screen that just perches there on the dash. No effort made to have it built in somehow, not retractable - just sits there.

Meh, not my thing.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Isn't the Q7 just a gussied up Touareg? They are the same truck.

Not really. They sit on the same chassis and share some common parts but that's pretty much where it ends. They are targeted at different markets as the Q7 is more of a luxury people hauler (has a 3rd row and is a 7 seater) while the Touareg is still a entry level luxury mid sized SUV. The Q7 has a stretched out wheelbase when compared to the Touareg. The chassis they sit on, I believe, is the same chassis used on the Cayenne, the Bentley Bentayga and the new Lambo Urus (Lambo's new SUV). Saying the Touareg and Q7 are the same truck is kind of the equivalent to saying the Lambo Urus and Q7 are the same truck. They share a platform, they cross over some components, but that's about where it ends.

In the end, the Q7 is a full foot longer and little wider than the Touareg. Exterior styling is also quite a bit different between the two vehicles. The Touareg is virtually the same size as the Porsche Cayenne and the styling is closer (though still pretty different) to the Cayenne than the Q7. All of them have some common components but all of them are pretty different at the same time. Different motors (for the most part), different transmissions, different AWD platforms, interiors are totally different across the Touareg, Q7 and Cayenne models.

My dad has had a couple of different Cayennes which I have spent a lot of time driving. Getting out of the Touareg and into the Cayenne really is like driving a completely different, unrelated, vehicle even though they share a lot of parts. I found the experience to be the exact same when I test drove the Q7 side by side with the Touareg.

The Q7, while a very nice vehicle and I can see the appeal for it, just didn't resonate with me like the Touareg did. Now if I had a couple of kids? Sure, I would have picked the Q7 all day long.

May be a small thing but one thing I dont like about a lot of Audi models - and Mercedes too - is the static display screen that just perches there on the dash. No effort made to have it built in somehow, not retractable - just sits there.

Meh, not my thing.

The current line of A4 has a retractable display screen on the dash. Looks like an iPad popping out of the dash.

My buddy's C300 MB also had a retractable display screen. His was a 2014 or 2015. He got rid of it after driving his then GF's A4. They are now a 2 A4 family lol.

The MB's display unit broke by the way. It stopped retracing and got stuck. Thing was in the shop for over a week and they ended up having to replace the entire unit. It was under warranty but imagine that bill if it's out of warranty?

This sums it up pretty well - I'm also an Audi fan (I'm on my 4th leased A4 since 2008). They basically invented and perfected all wheel drive, since you need that. You have to figure out the type of ride you want - Audi gives you some road feel, which I like (though the steering in my 2017 A4 is lighter than it was in my 2014). BMW's ride firmer until you get to the high dollar/large sedans. Their interior design seems almost anti-consumer - the electronics are hard to figure out and things aren't where you would expect them to be. Mercedes ride less firm and feel electronically controlled to me. Their interiors are nice, but not as well designed as Audi. Lexus gives you a lot of tech, soft ride, and not much driving "fun". Infiniti gives you driving "fun" and also gives you a lot of tech. I've driven the Q50 Red and it is a beast, but it is small on the inside. The new Genesis looks interesting, but I've not driven one - Hyundai hired a lot of Audi and BMW engineers which explains their comeuppance in the market.

Since you're buying used, look at Carmax. I've read/heard the offer an incredible bumper to bumper warranty for purchase for not much money.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

Bought a used E350 4matic and really like it

It was my second choice as the Audi A6 Supercharged sold 5mins before I enquired which was a pisser

Always loved Audi’s and starting to really like the Merc. Nowhere near as sporty as the Black optic A6 though and would definitely have bought that one.

Every bmw that I’ve had has been shite, engine management systems always on the blink.

If it was me, audi everyday justbit was hard getting the car I wanted at my price point

My 2011 Lincoln MKS w/Ecoboost is running like a champ. Only has 60k on it but it's a beast with 350HP and a similar engine to what Ford puts in their F150's.

Great call. I have a 2013 that I have owned for a couple of years. Would I take an E Class over it? Sure -- but not for what I paid for my lightly-used MKS! 365 HP and if you want more -- even a lot more -- Livernois Motorsports is just a few clicks away. :D The 3.5L EgoBoost is proving to be a fantastic motor. In whatever mix of driving I do, I average about 18 MPG, and I'm fine with that for a powerful full-size AWD vehicle.

Critique? The interior packaging is not great -- center console is huge and the belt-line is really high. The stock 20" wheels on my car punish the ride quality, I would much prefer 18" on this car.

Sedans are losing popularity so quickly that you can find great deals as everyone flocks to CUVs, and there are some other great suggestions in this thread.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I've got a 2014 ATS awd with the 2.0 turbo. Drives better than the sports cars I had when I was younger and is easy on gas. Quick, agile, comfy. Really isn't your grandfather's caddy. It's not as refined as the German cars, but what is? The bumper to bumper warranty is nice too; 4yr or 50k miles. Personally, I'm not a fan of what Infiniti (& Lexus) are doing stylistically with their front ends but I do like the angular styling of the ATS.