Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons

JHag

Back when the J40s DPC were in production, I got a test packet from Bridgestone. It contained a 5i and 9i in NS Pro 950 R, and a 5i and 9i in DG.SL R300.

The 950 clubs felt a little light, and the DG.SL clubs didn't have much feel. And it was raining a lot during the test period, so I didn't really get a chance to work them out as I wanted.

The 950 flew about as well as my X20 Tours reshafted in NS Pro 8950GH, but in a tie my existing irons stay.

I have since wondered if a livelier shaft such as KBS Tour 90 in R or S flex might have worked better.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I got to play a round (albeit in 20 mph winds) with my newly acquired J40 DPC's yesterday....pretty impressed. These things just want to hit the ball straight, which isn't a bad thing for me!!

Probably going to pull the Steelfiber i95 stiffs out and replace them with a set of KBS $-Tapers that I have waiting, but think these have a chance to be my gamers.

PXG Gen2 0811XF LIN-Q Purple stiff

Mizuno STX 5W Fujikura Motore F3 70 stiff

Ping G425 4H Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 reg

PXG Gen 3 P 5-AW Accra i80 stiff

PXG  Forged 55* Accra i80 stiff

Cleveland CBX 2 Full Face 60* * 64*

PXG One & Done P2 Reflex Tour grip

Golf Pride Microsuede

Wow, nice. If the DPC's were still in production, I'd buy a new set! I wish they'd reproduce these!!!! Can't find a good set on the "Bay :-(

I had both the J15cb and J40 DPC. If you prefer a longer blade length, and less offset, then the J40's may be the perfect iron. I prefer the progressive offset of the J15, and the slightly shorter blade length, as it is more inline with what I am used to looking at. I was initially concerned about the slightly wider sole on the J15, but they have turned out to be perfect.

So if you struggle to find a set of J40's that are clean enough for you, I 100% recommend the J15cb's. Can't-go-wrong.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

Wow, nice. If the DPC's were still in production, I'd buy a new set! I wish they'd reproduce these!!!! Can't find a good set on the "Bay :-(

I had both the J15cb and J40 DPC. If you prefer a longer blade length, and less offset, then the J40's may be the perfect iron. I prefer the progressive offset of the J15, and the slightly shorter blade length, as it is more inline with what I am used to looking at. I was initially concerned about the slightly wider sole on the J15, but they have turned out to be perfect.

So if you struggle to find a set of J40's that are clean enough for you, I 100% recommend the J15cb's. Can't-go-wrong.

Thanks, I'll check out the J15 CB's, can't believe these are already out of production, wish they'd just keep all the sets in stock, they would sell.

I got the Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts pulled and installed a set of KBS $-Taper R+ shafts that I had on hand. Played today and found this setup to be great for me--as I said above, the J40 DPCs just want to go straight!!

PXG Gen2 0811XF LIN-Q Purple stiff

Mizuno STX 5W Fujikura Motore F3 70 stiff

Ping G425 4H Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 reg

PXG Gen 3 P 5-AW Accra i80 stiff

PXG  Forged 55* Accra i80 stiff

Cleveland CBX 2 Full Face 60* * 64*

PXG One & Done P2 Reflex Tour grip

Golf Pride Microsuede

• 1 month later...

CB or DCP?

Title says DPC.

JHag, glad you found them. There have been many threads on the DPC recently as more people discover how good of an iron they are. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine since getting them late last season.

All hail the puppetmaster for helping me discover these as well. Picked up a set at the beginning of the year and I couldn't be happier. They're all I'm asking for in an iron- great feel, thin topline, great turf interaction, and as much (if not more) forgiveness than you could ever hope to find in an iron with a "player's look.". Plus I rather enjoy the fact that none of the guys I play with have Bridgestone irons. Owning them is like knowing about an amazing hole in the wall restaurant that few realize even exists.

I use all Bridgestone irons, they are awesome and good call, no one I know uses them.

Agreed. I like my irons I have now, but I should've never gotten rid of the DPC I had. It was an odd combination that I really liked. Slightly bigger head, more forgiveness. But still forged and thin sole and no offset. The changes they made to the DPC in the J15 series just don't work for me. And they're just ugly lol.

But if I could find a new or mint set of J40 DPC I'd buy them right then.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

the bridgeys feel amazing no doubt.

i think imma sell my lefty set of j15cbs, but i will admit that they are damn nice.

but the pocket cavity backs, rly? man, those aren't my cup of tea.

i havent hit em and im sure they feel great (knowing bridgestone), but i cant friggin stand pocket cavities argggg

ever since i had a pocket cavity rust out on me that was next to impossible to clean, i just havnt been able to look at em the same way.

>.< hahahha :taunt: :telephone: :swoon: :angry22: :dntknw:

I hit the J40 DPC's for the first time a few days ago. I was really impressed. I agree with the other posters. It is a great set of irons.

(Fade to Black). They are more forgiving then the AP2's.

I would have to agree. Plus, IMO, they look way better than the AP2s. Something about forgiveness in such a clean package that is appealing. No multi-material badges, designs, etc. to clutter it up. Tell me this doesn't look fantastic...Bridgestone_J40_DPC_irons_01.jpg?m=1343432445

Hands down, I would buy a set of these new in box if they came out now, I missed the boat!!!! Argh!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hit the J40 DPC's for the first time a few days ago. I was really impressed. I agree with the other posters. It is a great set of irons.

(Fade to Black). They are more forgiving then the AP2's.

I would have to agree. Plus, IMO, they look way better than the AP2s. Something about forgiveness in such a clean package that is appealing. No multi-material badges, designs, etc. to clutter it up. Tell me this doesn't look fantastic...Bridgestone_J40_DPC_irons_01.jpg?m=1343432445

Hands down, I would buy a set of these new in box if they came out now, I missed the boat!!!! Argh!!!!!!!!

beautiful clubs!

Still so glad I got a set of these when they were available new. Amazing combination of forgiveness, feel, low offset, and sleek lines. Makes me sad there aren’t more options like this as it’s the perfect type of club for me.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

• 1 month later...

Alright, you guys talked me into it. I've never hit a Bridgestone iron and no one around carries them, but I just bought a set of J40 DPC heads off the BST and we'll give them a shot right quick & in a hurry!

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 7-Gap w/Xcaliber Rapid Taper 95/105

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

You'll love em. I have j36 pocket cavities. And plan on reshafting them after this summer season

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

As I posted in another thread, the j40s are great. There are (basically) three issues:

1. Bridgestone makes literally nothing in the j40 line at 50*. So unless you like a six degree gap from PW to GW (or you want to start bending lofts) your up the creek.

2. It is easier to find the holy grail than it is to find a j40 DPC 3 iron (you can find j40 3 irons easily, but I have never found a j40 DPC 3 and I've been looking for literally years). The website says it exists, but I doubt it actually does.

3. They copied the design (right down to the "Forged" badge) from the Adams CB3 Idea Tech Blacks, which do not have the first two problems. The head is just slightly smaller, but other than that it is virtually identical, and its easy to find Idea Tech 3 irons and Gap Wedges.

I play the j40 DPCs and I think, when it comes to the actual iron itself, they are a perfect refinement/evolution of the best player's CB line ever concieved - the decade-long Adams Idea Tech Forged line. However, Bridgestone the company sucks when it comes to supporting their products. Next irons won't be b-stone for this reason. Who comes out with a 46* PW and the lowest wedge is 52*?!

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

As I posted in another thread, the j40s are great. There are (basically) three issues:

1. Bridgestone makes literally nothing in the j40 line at 50*. So unless you like a six degree gap from PW to GW (or you want to start bending lofts) your up the creek.

2. It is easier to find the holy grail than it is to find a j40 DPC 3 iron (you can find j40 3 irons easily, but I have never found a j40 DPC 3 and I've been looking for literally years). The website says it exists, but I doubt it actually does.

3. They copied the design (right down to the "Forged" badge) from the Adams CB3 Idea Tech Blacks, which do not have the first two problems. The head is just slightly smaller, but other than that it is virtually identical, and its easy to find Idea Tech 3 irons and Gap Wedges.

I play the j40 DPCs and I think, when it comes to the actual iron itself, they are a perfect refinement/evolution of the best player's CB line ever concieved - the decade-long Adams Idea Tech Forged line. However, Bridgestone the company sucks when it comes to supporting their products. Next irons won't be b-stone for this reason. Who comes out with a 46* PW and the lowest wedge is 52*?!

I play 52 and 58 wedges - works for me!!

Whats your up and down rate?

Whats your conversion rate from 110 and in?

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Okay for a 10 handicap - play more with feel and 3 wedges is plenty.

Okay for a 10 handicap - play more with feel and 3 wedges is plenty.

That might be true for you but not giving the option is ridiculous on b-stones part. Literally nobody else with a 46* or 47* PW skips 50*, even brands like Acer. Bridgestone equipment is awesome but product line has massive gaps.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I play the J40 21 and 24 hybrids, so the lack of a 3 iron does not bother me. There are plenty of wedges available from Mizuno and Titleist of various loft and bounce that suit me. Every manufacturer has the clubs that they do best. I use a Taylor Made RBZ 3HL because it is the best for me.

The J40 DPCs are great for me. I have been playing them for 5 years and don't plan on changing.

WITB:
Tsi3 11 deg with Tensei White 65s
Tsi2 16.5 deg with Tensei White 75s
Ping g410 Hybrid 3-5
Ping i210 6-UW AWT 2.0
Mizuno T22 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Tyne
Sun Mountain 4.5 LS/14 Way