2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

Just curious but is anyone using a different weight in their's compared to the stock 5g with the longer shaft or the 12g with a shorter shaft?

I bought a Callaway 14g weight and was surprised that it did not fit....it appears the Fusion weights are not the normal weights that Cally uses on pretty much everything else.

Can't remember which thread it was but I saw that the Epic Sub Zero fairway weights work in the Fusion. I bought a 12g off the bay recently and it fit perfectly.

Just curious but is anyone using a different weight in their's compared to the stock 5g with the longer shaft or the 12g with a shorter shaft?

I bought a Callaway 14g weight and was surprised that it did not fit....it appears the Fusion weights are not the normal weights that Cally uses on pretty much everything else.

Can't remember which thread it was but I saw that the Epic Sub Zero fairway weights work in the Fusion. I bought a 12g off the bay recently and it fit perfectly.

Oh ok, ill look into getting some Epic FW weights in to tinker with

What is the consensus on the Recoil ES stock shafts? Do they hold up?

I have the F3 440 and I was considering switching to something stiff and heavier just to be consistent with the rest of my bag. I like the Evenflow Blue 75 stiff on my 3 wood, but would be a fashion disaster to pair it with the fusion head haha

Titleist TSR2 10* Tensei Blue

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

I have the F3 440 and I was considering switching to something stiff and heavier just to be consistent with the rest of my bag. I like the Evenflow Blue 75 stiff on my 3 wood, but would be a fashion disaster to pair it with the fusion head haha

Not for me. I’m the original poster and if I’d stuck to the stock shaft I would have agreed with all the dissing of the Fusion as a high spinner only for high handicappers.

It wasn’t until I stuck a Hzrdus Black in and compard it to an Epic that I realised some of the potential of the Fusion.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Not for me. I’m the original poster and if I’d stuck to the stock shaft I would have agreed with all the dissing of the Fusion as a high spinner only for high handicappers.

It wasn’t until I stuck a Hzrdus Black in and compard it to an Epic that I realised some of the potential of the Fusion.

That'd be a "+1" for me. My stock shaft was the Diamana Red, also a higher launch and higher spinning shaft which I actually had a fair bit of success with.

But the Hzrdus Black I put in last September has transformed the club - piercing ball trajectory, no ballooning and while I haven't had it on a launch monitor I have to believe the spin is pretty low.

If I want to hit it high (downwind) I just tee it up higher. Easy peasy.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

No numbers but I am a slow swing speed high spin player and when I had the Fusion there was no roll out at all. Maybe it was the Bassara red shaft, though.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty new so its difficult for me to make these determinations on my own. All I know if that I can't hit it that well and it "feels" different than the rest of my bag because its so light.

I also find it very difficult to practice with because I seldom pick the ball up off the head. So even if I think I hit it well I often times have no idea. The miss is a slice so its a probably a combination of that plus it launching higher than I expect it to.

Will look into a HZRDUS Black and try my luck.

[Edit] Wait what, HZRDUS Black? No chance! Read that as EvenFlow in my head. HZRDUS is a sledge hammer haha, yall are beasts. Trying out EvenFlow Black**

Titleist TSR2 10* Tensei Blue

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

• 3 weeks later...

I took the Fusion out this past Monday for its first round. This was also the first round of the season too. It seemed to launch the ball great, not high and not low. It also seemed like when I swing it kinda hard, it gives me a real big fade. I am not sure if it longer than any other driver but I will give it a go again before I decide to bag it or pass it along!

Fast forward to today. The sun was up and weather was nice so I took the Fusion 10.5, XR16 Pro 9 and 10.5 heads, Epic 9 deg and Rogue SZ 10.5 to the outdoor driving range. I have to say I have mixed feelings with all of them so I didn't really learn nothing! lol

I had one stiff shaft, the Tensei CK60 stiff flex and the Fuji Pro 62 regular flex. My normal driver shaft is stiff but now I wonder why. I was away from golf for many years and just got back into it last year or so. I went to a the local range and asked the guy to watch my swing and at that time I had two driver's heads and two shafts. The head was the XR's and with that I had one regular flex and stiff flex. He watched me hit a couple, then grabbed the club and proceeded to make me one club with the 9 degree head on the stiff shaft. This is why I went forward using stiff shaft in driver but all other clubs even FW's, Hybrids, irons, etc. are regular flex.

One interesting point is that if I swing easy or easier, the regular flex shaft just worked. It was installed in the Epic so the first club I hit and wow two shots right down the line, nice and straight and felt good. Then I went on to the rest of the drivers, hitting balls and trying to just distance which is very hard out there so mainly watch the height, feel, forgiveness on mishits and consistency. There is no way I can tell exactly distance or roll outside, I just know if they hit over the 200yd marker which they all did. It didn't seem to matter which setup I hit except that

The Rogue SZ 10.5 - tried both at 9.5 and 10.5, both N position, probably felt the least consistent of them all, some low/high, some left/right and didn't feel like the longest or most forgiving either.

The Fusion 10.5 deg - tried both at 9.5/N and 10.5, both in N position, was solid but if I went after it, it would give me the big power fade and if I hit it towards the toe it seemed like it gave me the best distance for the mishit. The Fusion also felt the lightest head wise and sounded very good on hits.

The XR16 Pro 9 - felt like it was the best or to me perfect ball flight and pretty darn consistent, dead straight, not forgiving if toed or heeled.

The XR16 Pro 10.5 - very similar results to the 9 degree one but sometimes hit it higher than I like, dead straight, not much for forgiveness on mishits. (My gamer)

The Epic 9 deg - set at 9/N, similar to the Rogue, after the two warm up shots and once the stiff flex shaft was installed, great ball flight but still inconsistent, some low/high, some left/right.

After thoughts. I am not sure if I should hit stiff or regular flex shaft now but I think I can hit the regular flex but just have to remind myself to slow down a bit. I think I just have a fast'ish swing/transition or something (work in progress from long hiatus from the game) so it should improve with practice/time, I hope! I didn't really get as much info out of this range session as I hoped as I was hoping to find one or two that stuck out in either a great way or a bad way so I could sell a couple of heads off but that didn't really happen!

NOTE: This was the first time hitting the Epic, Rogue SZ and the second time with the Fusion. I tried the Epic and Epic SZ last year but wasn't happy with them.

So if I had to rank them best to worst in this initial test (if you call it that), I would say XR16 Pro 9, Fusion, XR16 Pro 10.5 and tied for last place would be the Epic and Rogue SZ being about equal but I could give the slight edge to the Rogue SZ over the Epic.

Not a very scientific test but just a small test I did at the last minute to get outside and hit these drivers to see if any stood out. So take this reply as you will and hope it helps someone! lol

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty new so its difficult for me to make these determinations on my own. All I know if that I can't hit it that well and it "feels" different than the rest of my bag because its so light.

I also find it very difficult to practice with because I seldom pick the ball up off the head. So even if I think I hit it well I often times have no idea. The miss is a slice so its a probably a combination of that plus it launching higher than I expect it to.

Will look into a HZRDUS Black and try my luck.

[Edit] Wait what, HZRDUS Black? No chance! Read that as EvenFlow in my head. HZRDUS is a sledge hammer haha, yall are beasts. Trying out EvenFlow Black**

I wouldn't equate a particular SHAFT with being a "beast"; certainly not with my puny 93-95 MPH SS.

I'd be more concerned about the WEIGHT of the shaft. I see you are trying an Evenflow Black 75. I have never had any success with a 75 weight range shaft. I thought I'd read that the EF Black was similar to the HZRDUS Black, no ? Low-ish launch and spin ?

But 75 weight ? YOU da beast !!! :taunt:

Titleist Pro V1X

I have finally been able to test the Fusion. For me, it has been more forgiving than the original XR driver that I have played for a couple years. Where I struggled finding the center of the XR (shaft and head weight issues - lead tape didn't help), I am already finding the center of the Fusion with more consistency.

I purchased a 9 gram weight from Billy Bob's and will see if I can pick up some club head speed over the 12 gram. At D5 or so (12 gram), it is currently heavier than what I prefer in a driver. Looking forward to more fairways!

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an aside, I came back from SE Asia about 6 weeks ago and thus, never had a chance to try the Rogue drivers. I've been too lazy to demo the Rogues, especially since my Fusion is "golden".

I haven't even gotten my Fusion/Hzrdus on a launch monitor. No need. And almost afraid to see the numbers since, on the course, the driver gives me exactly what I'm looking for the majority of the time and the other drives, except for the odd one here and there, are "forgiven" enough so that it almost doesn't matter.

Anyway, my store has a couple of "practice" LMs and 2 "fitting" bays with (different) LMs.

So I find a Rogue Draw and a Rogue Sub Zero head and go to a practice bay with my Fusion. After a good warmup I start with the Fusion.

I'm hitting it well but the numbers are awful. Launch is OK around 15* but the spin rate is 4,000. 4K RPM was my spin rate "way back when", when I swung with my entire upper body going towards the target and hitting the ball with a negative AoA. Since I figured this out (with help) and now keep my head back my driving has improved considerably.

I swing around 92 or so on average and the ball was carrying 215 with 4000 RPM and "stopping" within a yard or 2. Ridiculous. And I haven't been seeing this sort of result AT ALL on the course, especially in the Winter down here where you DO get some decent runout.

Anyway, I put the Rogue and the Rogue SZ heads on my Hzrdus shaft and try them anyway. Virtually the exact same numbers on good strikes. On average, both of those heads produced right around the same 15* launch and 215 carry and 4,000 spin.

After 3 or 4 dozen or so swings like this, that's enough.

Right after this, I DID go to one of the "fitting" bays and took a few swings there (they were somewhat busy using them for fittings so I couldn't stay in any of them for any length of time).

I hit a few with my Fusion just to see some numbers. Didn't hit it right on the button but the interesting thing was I was carrying about 225 or so with a slightly less than perfect strike and these strikes had a spin rate was around 2500, just about what I might have expected.

Interesting ? I thought so.

If I get the chance sometime soon I may bring my Fusion back in and try it again against the Rogue heads BUT in the fitting bays.

Titleist Pro V1X

Swinging 92mph and carrying 225 is awesome ! Ideally I think a backspin of 2500-2700 for distance and accuracy.

Thanks but it sounds pretty much in line with numbers I've seen for quite a while here on WRX.

We get very consistent "readings" here that the ball seems to carry pretty much about 2.5 times your swing speed on center strikes with launch and spin "within the window".

92 x 2.5 = 230 so I guess I'm somewhere in the proper range.

2500 backspin ? Not sure. I'd certainly like to see it get down near 2,000,,,,,,,,, if only to see how that affects the total.

Flightscope tells us that around 17* and 1700 RPM (sound familiar ? LOL) is pretty much ideal for a wide range of swing speeds BUT I think elsewhere (here) I've seen indications that one loses some control with the "ultimate" spin rate (for distance) so I'm not totally sure about that.

Titleist Pro V1X

On my recall recommendation, a buddy bought a Fusion off of Callaway Pre Owned back in the winter. This was at a point I had zero intention of taking mine out of the bag. Only his third time out with it and he is now a believer.

That stated. My M4 is staying in the bag but I’m still not selling my Fusion.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

What kind of weight does the head take? Where can I buy it?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

Mine showed up from Callaway pre owned with a 5g when it should have had the 12g. I simply called them and they sent the 12g.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 5 weeks later...

I had given up on this driver, then started tinkering and stumbled onto a setup that I'm loving. 12g weight, Aldila RIP Alpha 70 Stiff (red eyes), and a 43g counterweight (clevis pin). I've never counterweighted a driver before, but the extra weight quieted down my hands/wrists and stabilized everything. Also more fade-biased and anti-left, it's just a beast now.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I am set on this driver for the foreseeable future. 9 gram weight with a Speeder 661 shaft is working really well. Miss-hits are going further, and seeing an increase in fairways. I now enjoy hitting driver instead of dreading and over analyzing everything!

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

• 1 month later...

You likely could have bought the 10.5* and then reached out to them for a 12g weight if it only had the 5g weight. That’s what I did and I had the heavy weight 3-4 days after I called them.

Great driver. I still have mine.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

The only 10.5's they had in stiff flex were either standard length or -1 from the heavy weight which would end up being 43.5. I talked to the rep on the phone about the -1 length ones in 9 degree on the standard page since they were about $15 cheaper than the equivalent heavyweight ones and he said they wouldn't have the 12 gram weight in them and that I needed to order the heavy weight one in order to get the 12 gram weight.

My order arrived today and of course it was incorrect. The driver had the 5 gram weight even though I specifically discussed with the rep on the phone that I wanted the “heavy” model and that is what’s reflected on my order. It’s really disappointing because I was looking forward to using it this weekend.

My order arrived today and of course it was incorrect. The driver had the 5 gram weight even though I specifically discussed with the rep on the phone that I wanted the “heavy” model and that is what’s reflected on my order. It’s really disappointing because I was looking forward to using it this weekend.

Same thing happened to me. I specified the 12g weight at order time. It showed with the 5g. I called them and they shipped the 12g and I had it in a few days. Sucked initially but worked out as I have both weights.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

The 12 gram weight arrived today so I took the Fusion out on the course tonight for a test run. Definitely the straightest, most forgiving driver I’ve ever hit. I hit 4 balls off the tee on the same hole - 2 center face, one toe, and one heel. The dispersion was within 5 yards. All 4 we’re in the fairway. The center strikes were about 10 yards longer than the others. Definitely a bit shorter than other drivers but worth it for the control. I also think I can eventually get the distance too since I’m so much more comfortable winding up with this club and not worrying about something catostrophic from a mishit.

Once I figured out how to not hook it, I found the Fusion to be as consistently longer than any driver I had played prior to my current driver.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*