Bourbon

GooseHook

Questions for the Pappy fans...is it worth all the trouble or should I just quit trying with the raffles?

In my opinion it is NOT worth the trouble. In Texas the likelihood of finding any PVW or BTAC at msrp is nearly impossible. They can be found at stores where they have been marked up significantly by the owners. I don't hold it against them. I'm just not going to be the customer who buys it at that price.

Question: in Michigan are you playing a raffle to buy at msrp? Or just to buy at whatever price the liquor store says?

If you like wheated bourbons, then there are many other options that are (1) readily available and (2) reasonably priced. Save your money and try it in a bar someday...

I’m sure it’s marked up some, but the raffles are as close as I’m going to get to buying it at msrp. The Mega Bev chain of stores hosts them every year in my area.

Questions for the Pappy fans...is it worth all the trouble or should I just quit trying with the raffles?

In my opinion it is NOT worth the trouble. In Texas the likelihood of finding any PVW or BTAC at msrp is nearly impossible. They can be found at stores where they have been marked up significantly by the owners. I don't hold it against them. I'm just not going to be the customer who buys it at that price.

Question: in Michigan are you playing a raffle to buy at msrp? Or just to buy at whatever price the liquor store says?

If you like wheated bourbons, then there are many other options that are (1) readily available and (2) reasonably priced. Save your money and try it in a bar someday...

I'm sure it's marked up some, but the raffles are as close as I'm going to get to buying it at msrp. The Mega Bev chain of stores hosts them every year in my area.

Yeah I'm just on like a 8 year waiting list for some PVW. I'm sure I'll never get to try it outside of at a bar when I'm feeling frisky and just got paid.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

PVW is stupid hard to get these days, but my store doesn't mark it up. We do have a lottery for rare whiskeys every year though where one can get lucky. Before bourbon got super popular, I was fortunate enough to score a couple bottles for a few years, so I do think it's worth it. I guess it really depends on how much of an inconvenience the raffles are.

I would agree with a previous post about finding it at a bar. There are a few bars in Denver that carry it, though it isn't cheap. Right when bourbon started to get popular, I think I paid $45 for a glass of 23yr. Now it's probably double that.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

New bar opened in my area recently. They have Pappy at the bar, $70 a pour.

What year? 20 would be worth it...from what I have heard

Not sure, my brother in law texted me about it.

It was 15 year

$70 a pour for the 15 year is a HARD PASS. $70 for any of them is.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Tried Widow Jane the other day. It was really good.

Anyone heard if Blood Oath Bourbon?

NAS BY NDP = PASS

What does that mean?

NAS means no age statement, NDP is non-distilling producer. Both of those things together = garbage whiskey. Just how it is these days.

Any bourbon without an age statement is generally less than 4 years old and with all the hype around bourbon these days there are new brands popping up left and right from big and small companies, and theyre just sourcing their whiskey from guys like MGP in Indiana and slapping a label on it - and charging $100 for it. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, here's a bourbon photo:

15625236_358754771183606_4337587209960947712_n.jpg

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy". That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

Was in Dayton, Ohio for work and went to a bourbon bar (I will leave out the name for now). Big selection. Charging $45/$65/$75 for Pappy 15/20/23 and $30 for Pappy Lot B 12 year (Weller 12). Bartenders were not fans of pappy. In a nutshell, they said it's marketing hype that has taken a solid, but unspectacular, bourbon and made it an overpriced unicorn that everyone chases after just to say they've had "pappy". That and they blamed Anthony Bourdain. Then they recommended Old Forester as a "bang for your buck" bourbon.

Funny about the Bourdain thing. Chefs like him and Sean Brock of Husk fame really set the bourbon world on fire. Now it's a literal dumpster fire.

Would you say it's not a good bang for your buck bourbon? I haven't come across any better bang for your buck bourbon in my opinion.

It's my go to well at the house I use for making Manhattans. Been getting some Bulleit on occasion as my well (it's nicely priced at Costco) but I don't think I like it better than Old Forester for that role.

Would you say it's not a good bang for your buck bourbon? I haven't come across any better bang for your buck bourbon in my opinion.

It's my go to well at the house I use for making Manhattans. Been getting some Bulleit on occasion as my well (it's nicely priced at Costco) but I don't think I like it better than Old Forester for that role.

Sorry...didn't mean for it to come across that way at all. I was trying to say that they seemed to know what they were talking about. I think Old Forester is great. I like to get opinions from people that are in it everyday. I don't have a great deal of experience with higher priced bourbons. I have some Angel's Envy and Woodford Double Oaked at home which I think are good but don't think they justify the higher price over some of my favorites like Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10 or Old Forester.

Sorry...didn't mean for it to come across that way at all. I was trying to say that they seemed to know what they were talking about. I think Old Forester is great. I like to get opinions from people that are in it everyday. I don't have a great deal of experience with higher priced bourbons. I have some Angel's Envy and Woodford Double Oaked at home which I think are good but don't think they justify the higher price over some of my favorites like Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10 or Old Forester.

Don't feel bad at all, I was just curious. There is so much bourbon out there it's hard to know it all. I am certainly of low knowledge on the high priced stuff, there's too much good cheap stuff for me to worry about it!

Spot on!

I agree! Tons of solid bourbons at affordable prices!

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

NAS BY NDP = PASS

What does that mean?

NAS means no age statement, NDP is non-distilling producer. Both of those things together = garbage whiskey. Just how it is these days.

Any bourbon without an age statement is generally less than 4 years old and with all the hype around bourbon these days there are new brands popping up left and right from big and small companies, and theyre just sourcing their whiskey from guys like MGP in Indiana and slapping a label on it - and charging $100 for it. It's ridiculous.

I hate that mindset. Don’t lump all bourbons in a category together. Some NAS, NDP bourbons are garbage. Some are not. Each one of them should be judged on their own merits, not lumped together. The Blood Oath line is fantastic bourbon. The most recent release is a blend of a 12 yr, a 10 yr, and a 9 yr. Certainly not a 4 year as you suggest.

To the person who originally asked the question, if you come across a bottle of any of the four releases of Blood Oath at retail price don’t hesitate to grab a bottle.

Old Forrester is a good bang for buck bourbon, as is Bulleit. Some of my favorite “bang for your buck’s” are Weller Special Reserve, Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond, Old Fitz Prime, and Old Grandad 114.

NAS BY NDP = PASS

What does that mean?

I hate that mindset. Dont lump all bourbons in a category together. Some NAS, NDP bourbons are garbage. Some are not. Each one of them should be judged on their own merits, not lumped together. The Blood Oath line is fantastic bourbon. The most recent release is a blend of a 12 yr, a 10 yr, and a 9 yr. Certainly not a 4 year as you suggest.

To the person who originally asked the question, if you come across a bottle of any of the four releases of Blood Oath at retail price dont hesitate to grab a bottle.

I found a bottle of Blood Oath 4 2018....so I grabbed it.

I'm sure it's marked up some, but the raffles are as close as I'm going to get to buying it at msrp. The Mega Bev chain of stores hosts them every year in my area.

By all means, keep playing the lottery. That could be an awesome payoff if you manage to win. Otherwise, you can shop on the secondary market.There are quite a few Facebook groups where bourbon is sold and traded and you can also try bottlespot.com. As always, proceed carefully...

I hate that mindset. Don't lump all bourbons in a category together. Some NAS, NDP bourbons are garbage. Some are not. Each one of them should be judged on their own merits, not lumped together. The Blood Oath line is fantastic bourbon. The most recent release is a blend of a 12 yr, a 10 yr, and a 9 yr. Certainly not a 4 year as you suggest.

To the person who originally asked the question, if you come across a bottle of any of the four releases of Blood Oath at retail price don't hesitate to grab a bottle.

Sorry, but I can't agree. Blood Oath is horrible, terrible whiskey but that's what's good about something subjective - especially for the companies who make it - is that there's always going to be someone who likes it and defends it.

I will say this - it is NOT worth the retail price of $100 which makes it a hard pass. That blend of second-hand whiskies they tossed in there that they proofed down to make palatable should not be sold for over $40. It's pure marketing and novelty.

If you want something good with a high proof - look for a Four Roses private selection from a local store, or a 1792 Full Proof private pick. Even the single barrel shelf versions of those bourbons will be miles better.

Oh crap I can't believe I just discovered this thread. This is going to be bad news. Anyways I usually like to stick with budget friendly bourbons and occasionally mix in a nicer bottle every now and then. For me personally my favorite budget friendly bourbons are Knob Creek and 1792. Any suggestions for similar flavor profile that I can try out? Doesn't have to be super cheap but I don't need a bottle of bourbon eating into my green fee money.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

Does anyone know if Weller is available in Michigan? It seems like a good alternative to chasing pappy

Weller couldn’t be LESS available in Michigan. It’s ridiculous. The secondary market for Weller is out of control. Sure, a few shops get Weller, but usual only the big name stores moving a lot of product. According to my local LS guy you have to buy a barrel now, so roughly +700 bottles, and your average LS doesn’t have the inventory space for that.

Apparently there’s never been a worse time to be a bourbon fan in Michigan.

well....if you're ever in Texas you could very well find some on the shelf for retail.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Does anyone know if Weller is available in Michigan? It seems like a good alternative to chasing pappy

Weller couldn't be LESS available in Michigan. It's ridiculous. The secondary market for Weller is out of control. Sure, a few shops get Weller, but usual only the big name stores moving a lot of product. According to my local LS guy you have to buy a barrel now, so roughly +700 bottles, and your average LS doesn't have the inventory space for that.

Apparently there's never been a worse time to be a bourbon fan in Michigan.

Up until about 3 weeks, you could find Eagle Rare everywhere. Suddenly there is not a bottle to be found near me. Grabbed a couple when I was at the lake this weekend, but it really is amazing how hard some of these are to find.

Here's the kicker. Went into a local store with my son. They usually have a nice selection. Low and behold they have EH Taylor on the shelf....marked up to $80 a bottle! My buddy bought me a bottle here in MI for $42 two weeks ago. He also tried to sell my son a double rye for $58...and it was on the shelf at Kroger for $32. I will never step foot in that store again.

I have never seen Weller on a shelf anywhere. Our club had a few so I gave it a try. Very nice but I wouldn't lose my head over finding a bottle. It is getting disappointing when you visit a store and they have the same bottles on the wall every week. You know the good stuff is hidden in the back for a select few.

well....if you're ever in Texas you could very well find some on the shelf for retail.

What are your thoughts on Balcones? I've been trying to see if my buddy in Houston will make a pitstop to grab me a bottle next time he flies out here...

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

What are your thoughts on Balcones? I've been trying to see if my buddy in Houston will make a pitstop to grab me a bottle next time he flies out here...

Have never tried it before.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Weller couldn't be LESS available in Michigan. It's ridiculous. The secondary market for Weller is out of control. Sure, a few shops get Weller, but usual only the big name stores moving a lot of product. According to my local LS guy you have to buy a barrel now, so roughly +700 bottles, and your average LS doesn't have the inventory space for that.

Apparently there's never been a worse time to be a bourbon fan in Michigan.

Up until about 3 weeks, you could find Eagle Rare everywhere. Suddenly there is not a bottle to be found near me. Grabbed a couple when I was at the lake this weekend, but it really is amazing how hard some of these are to find.

Here's the kicker. Went into a local store with my son. They usually have a nice selection. Low and behold they have EH Taylor on the shelf....marked up to $80 a bottle! My buddy bought me a bottle here in MI for $42 two weeks ago. He also tried to sell my son a double rye for $58...and it was on the shelf at Kroger for $32. I will never step foot in that store again.

I have never seen Weller on a shelf anywhere. Our club had a few so I gave it a try. Very nice but I wouldn't lose my head over finding a bottle. It is getting disappointing when you visit a store and they have the same bottles on the wall every week. You know the good stuff is hidden in the back for a select few.

It’s getting silly isn’t it?! Hopefully it’ll become like the craft beer market and supply will meet demand. The bourbon market today reminds me of the beer market 3-5 years ago...nowadays you can waltz into some rundown gas station and buy Blacknote.

All we can hope for is BT increasing production and people gettIng so sick of secondary prices that they STOP paying them and the hype will die down.