AWD Luxury Sedans

altess27

I'm on my second Infiniti and think the sedans are fantastic. I had the G35x sedan for 7 years - which I am pretty sure got renamed the Q70 or something like that. But overall its a fantastic car that the AWD system was great. If I lived in your neck of the woods I would probably still run Blizzaks on it in the winter though.

IMO the one great thing Infiniti had going for it was that their option packages seemed way more reasonable priced than the comparable BMW or Mercedes.

Anyway, I was/am really happy with Infiniti overall.

I was thinking about a used Q70 convertible. Looks like a nice car and flies in under the radar.

I think you mean Q60 convertible, made 2014-2015, same as a G37 convertible from 2009-2013 but a different name. Q70 is a large sedan. Q60 convertible is not a great golfer's car, there is literally zero trunk space beyond maybe a dozen or two golf balls and a sweater with either the top up or down, you have to put your clubs on the back seat, making sure you aren't touching the seat with a dirty towel, and that you've fastened all zippers so your tees don't fall all over the floorwell when you brake hard. (I used to have a G37 convertible). Then you have to make sure you don't bang the irons against the door trim when taking them out, as it scuffs easily, and maneuver the bag around the driver's seatbelt. I liked the 3.7 V6 engine and the car, which I bought slightly used, needed nothing other than scheduled maintenance in the 4 years I had it. Just ended up being a pain in the rear if I was taking my clubs to the course.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this has been really helpful guys thanks! I was able to test drive a 2016 Q50 and a 2017 A4 over the weekend. Both are extremely nice and I don't really have a clear cut winner yet. I'm leaning towards the Infiniti because I've got a Nissan dealer close to me and it's a bit cheaper.

I noticed a lot of people mentioning S Line models of Audi. Those do look amazing but unfortunately are out of my budget in most cases.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

All this has been really helpful guys thanks! I was able to test drive a 2016 Q50 and a 2017 A4 over the weekend. Both are extremely nice and I don't really have a clear cut winner yet. I'm leaning towards the Infiniti because I've got a Nissan dealer close to me and it's a bit cheaper.

I noticed a lot of people mentioning S Line models of Audi. Those do look amazing but unfortunately are out of my budget in most cases.

And don't think just the S model Audis are the only car cars. The A4 is a fantastic car. Its sporty enough and quick enough where it's still a fun car to drive but with it not having as aggressive of suspension and as powerful of a motor it's a super comfortable car to daily drive. Both, the Q50 and A4, are great cars. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

S Line and S4/S5 etc are not the same. S line is an option package, S4 is a souped up performance version of an A4.

I had a 2013 A4 Quattro S Line, that was not an S4. I loved that car. I say I had, my ex wife had it. I picked it out for her, she kept it in the divorce. It rode great, was reasonably sporty for a 4 cyl sedan, and handled incredibly well with the AWD. The Quattro system is a fantastic system. The only issue I had with the car was for what we paid, I thought it should have had nav, but it didn’t. Everything else was great. Black with the tan leather. Interior quality was fantastic, seats were comfortable. Sound system was pretty good for a stock system.

S Line and S4/S5 etc are not the same. A line is an option package, S4 is a souped up performance version of an A4.

I had a 2013 A4 Quattro S Line, that was not an S4. I loved that car. I say I had, my ex wife had it. I picked it out for her, she kept it in the divorce. It rode great, was reasonably sporty for a 4 cyl sedan, and handled incredibly well with the AWD. The only issue I had with the car was for what we paid, I thought it should have had nav, but it didnâ€t. Everything else was great. Black with the tan leather. Interior quality was fantastic, seats were comfortable. Sound system was pretty good for a stock system.

Yes. I was assuming he was talking about the S models as opposed to the S-Line packages. S-Line packages don't add that much cost to the vehicle, especially when buying used. My 2008 A4 had the full S-Line package (so suspension as well) and the Titanium package. That thing looked absolutely awesome.

Even though I have since replaced that car, I still miss it. I traded it and bought a 2015 WRX. Terrible decision. I hated the WRX and got rid of it less than a year later. Bought a 2014 Touareg... which I still have and absolutely love. And I have since added a sports car to the mix. But man I still miss that A4. I loved it.

Curious nobody has mentioned the Alfa Giulia. They come in around 45k for the awd sport version. It'll be gamble as far as maintenance goes, but it was pretty nice.

I haven't driven the Giulia, but I was out looking for an SUV to replace a SUV. Since I was going down the street, I stopped there. The Stelvio was undersized so we didn't buy it. But we drove the Macan to compare against and I was very impressed with the Stelvio.. Specs don't look amazing, but I thought the drive was stellar!

Curious nobody has mentioned the Alfa Giulia. They come in around 45k for the awd sport version. It'll be gamble as far as maintenance goes, but it was pretty nice.

I haven't driven the Giulia, but I was out looking for an SUV to replace a SUV. Since I was going down the street, I stopped there. The Stelvio was undersized so we didn't buy it. But we drove the Macan to compare against and I was very impressed with the Stelvio.. Specs don't look amazing, but I thought the drive was stellar!

I really like the new Alfas.... but I simply couldn't trust the reliability and maintenance on it. I'm sure they are way better than they used to be, but, before I'm getting seriously interested in an Alfa, I'm letting them establish a track record in America...

I really like the new Alfas.... but I simply couldn't trust the reliability and maintenance on it. I'm sure they are way better than they used to be, but, before I'm getting seriously interested in an Alfa, I'm letting them establish a track record in America...

yeah, that's a secondary reason we stepped away from the alfa. I wonder how alfa's have been doing overseas...that might give a clue to how the new alfas are.

I’m kinda surprised they didn’t take the same approach as Jaguar. Jaguar knew that reliability was their #1 issue with consumers so the started a 5 year/ 60k mile warranty that covers pretty much everything except tires, breaks and glass.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't take the same approach as Jaguar. Jaguar knew that reliability was their #1 issue with consumers so the started a 5 year/ 60k mile warranty that covers pretty much everything except tires, breaks and glass.

It's Italian.... It's supposed to be inconvenient.

I picked up a brand new 2017 A4 when it first came out in April 2016. My very first German car after many Toyota/Lexus vehicles. The A4 is an absolute blast to drive. The new (2017) model cranks out about 252 hp. Have had zero issues with it. As others have said, the interior fit/finish is second to none.

If you have the 8 speed Tiptronic, bump the transmission into S(port) mode and it's even more fun to drive. One day I'll have an RS (hopefully 7), if the kids ever become independent.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

I'd have an Alfa now if the closest dealer wasn't 30+ miles away. Tad bit of an inconvenience for a working stiff. Take one out for a drive if you have the opportunity. The driving comfort combined with the dynamics when thrashed make it a wonder. And then there's the g-l-o-r-i-o-u-s sounds Alfas are known for. ;)

I'd go Audi also, S5 or A5 hatchback for a sedan. (Or 2 dr coupe if you can get away with it).

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I picked up a brand new 2017 A4 when it first came out in April 2016. My very first German car after many Toyota/Lexus vehicles. The A4 is an absolute blast to drive. The new (2017) model cranks out about 252 hp. Have had zero issues with it. As others have said, the interior fit/finish is second to none.

If you have the 8 speed Tiptronic, bump the transmission into S(port) mode and it's even more fun to drive. One day I'll have an RS (hopefully 7), if the kids ever become independent.

This - if I could have one vehicle it would be an RS7. Just stunning to look at and stunning to drive.

I'd have an Alfa now if the closest dealer wasn't 30+ miles away. Tad bit of an inconvenience for a working stiff. Take one out for a drive if you have the opportunity. The driving comfort combined with the dynamics when thrashed make it a wonder. And then there's the g-l-o-r-i-o-u-s sounds Alfas are known for. ;)

I'd go Audi also, S5 or A5 hatchback for a sedan. (Or 2 dr coupe if you can get away with it).

--kC

I'm a Porsche guy man. I feel like Alfa is the anti-Porsche. Porsche is known to be the reliable sports car. The one you can thrash on a race track all day/weekend long and then drive it to dinner that night with no issue. That's part of the allure with Porsche. They are meant to be driven and meant to be driven hard.

Alfas look awesome and sound great (I'm sure it would be a blast to drive) but I want a sports car which can take a beating at any given point and feel confident that its going to come out the other end completely fine.

I bought a '14 Cayman S in April. I bought it while back home in Columbus, Oh. Popped in it and drove it 2,000 miles back to my home in Phoenix. Not only did the Cayman easily handle the 2,000 mile drive, the long stretch of cruising between 85 and 100 through the entire state of Oklahoma, but it was running better by the end. It seemed to be running a little rough when I bought it (the previous owner only put 1,100 miles on it in 18 months of ownership). All of that was cleared up when I put 1200 miles on it in one day.

I doubt an Alfa is going to handle a drive like that as famously as the Porsche did. Heck, my Touareg didn't handle the drive that well when I moved to Phoenix. Actually, about a week after the drive, the Water Pump crapped out and had to be replaced under warranty (which by the way had been replaced a week before starting the drive out there).

--kC

I'm a Porsche guy man. I feel like Alfa is the anti-Porsche. Porsche is known to be the reliable sports car. The one you can thrash on a race track all day/weekend long and then drive it to dinner that night with no issue. That's part of the allure with Porsche. They are meant to be driven and meant to be driven hard.

Alfas look awesome and sound great (I'm sure it would be a blast to drive) but I want a sports car which can take a beating at any given point and feel confident that its going to come out the other end completely fine.

I bought a '14 Cayman S in April. I bought it while back home in Columbus, Oh. Popped in it and drove it 2,000 miles back to my home in Phoenix. Not only did the Cayman easily handle the 2,000 mile drive, the long stretch of cruising between 85 and 100 through the entire state of Oklahoma, but it was running better by the end. It seemed to be running a little rough when I bought it (the previous owner only put 1,100 miles on it in 18 months of ownership). All of that was cleared up when I put 1200 miles on it in one day.

I doubt an Alfa is going to handle a drive like that as famously as the Porsche did. Heck, my Touareg didn't handle the drive that well when I moved to Phoenix. Actually, about a week after the drive, the Water Pump crapped out and had to be replaced under warranty (which by the way had been replaced a week before starting the drive out there).

thing is: Porsche's aren't really in the awd luxury sedan segment. that isn't to say I don't agree with what you said silverbullets, but if I'm looking for an awd sports sedan, I'm not looking at Porsche or even a BMW/Mercedes etc.. I'm looking at an audi RS4 - and I'm not an audi fan at all. I would definitely take a look at a Giulia Quadrifoligo for sure, after my Stelvio experience.

That being said...I'd love to try out a 4c or Exige against that Cayman S. Would be fun!

--kC

thing is: Porsche's aren't really in the awd luxury sedan segment. that isn't to say I don't agree with what you said silverbullets, but if I'm looking for an awd sports sedan, I'm not looking at Porsche or even a BMW/Mercedes etc.. I'm looking at an audi RS4 - and I'm not an audi fan at all. I would definitely take a look at a Giulia Quadrifoligo for sure, after my Stelvio experience.

That being said...I'd love to try out a 4c or Exige against that Cayman S. Would be fun!

Panamera 4s? But those cars do nothing for me. They remind me of a stretched 928. Though I have a friend who is a Porsche guy and he rented the hybrid for a weekend and said it was an excellent car. But still not for me. I think.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

Panamera 4s? But those cars do nothing for me. They remind me of a stretched 928. Though I have a friend who is a Porsche guy and he rented the hybrid for a weekend and said it was an excellent car. But still not for me. I think.

imo, it's a stretch to call a Panamera a sedan...but that's me. I get that it's classified as a luxury sedan and it's awd...but com'n...really?? lol

has the OP come back in to update?

imo, it's a stretch to call a Panamera a sedan...but that's me. I get that it's classified as a luxury sedan and it's awd...but com'n...really?? lol

So I have always disliked the panamera. But I have recently changed. My dad picked up a Panamera Turbo recently. I drove it for a few days while back in Columbus grabbing the CaymanS... man I tell you what, for as funky as the exterior design is, the car is incredible to drive. The interior looks like something you would see in a private jet cockpit. Freaking buttons everywhere. In typical Porsche fashion, you just start pressing crap and stuff starts happening lol.

Launch control on that is downright scary. He has some fun cars and the sedan is the fastest off the line. I always heard the panamera drives like a stretched out 911. You don’t truly understand the feeling until you actually get behind the wheel. Everything about the way it behaves screams 911. But it’s a 4 seater (there’s no middle seat) with a pretty sizable trunk. It’s an impressive car, regardless of how you feel about the looks.

They also aren’t cheap, at all. So I wouldn’t expect it to be in a conversation when talking about an A4 and others.

--kC

Completely agree. Was just using the cayman as an example of why I’m kind of against Alfa’s... at least until they prove otherwise.

To the OP, we were in the same situation a couple of years ago. We drove everything, we were about to pull the trigger on an A6. Then, on a whim, my wife drove the Audi Q5. She really liked the ride height of the Q over the A6. Her only complaint is that the Q5 styling was plain. Therefore we tried out its cousin the Porsche Macan S. It was a blast to drive! It just goes. We had the car until we got an unbelievable deal on a Cayenne. Don’t overlook the Macan..especially the upper trim levels

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

We have had a series of Audi's and really enjoy them. The only downside is repair bills. They are GREAT cars under warranty, but out of warranty the cost of parts grabs your attention.

I agree with this 100%. I had a 2007 A4 that was purchased new and was fantastic for the most part (except for the engine needing replaced around 45,000 miles which was done under warranty), but after that, when things started needing repairs, it got a little ouchy. Traded in for a 2013 S4, again new, and it was a pretty solid car up until about the 65,000 mile mark where things started needing replaced outside warranty. All I can say is I very much had a love hate relationship with that car, and it didn't age gracefully at all outside of the warranty period.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

No update yet, I still have some that I'm looking at that I think are worthy of a test drive before I make a final decision.

• 1 month later...

Well I went a completely different direction. I bought a Nissan Pathfinder, when it came down to it I knew I wouldn't enjoy the winters in a sedan.