Driven

Lots of dynamics going on with coaching a golf team at that level, guys. Not everything is about what is on paper. Kid could have been late to practices, in danger of failing academics, being confrontational with other players and staff, not listening to the coach, etc. Not saying any of that is true, but there are always circumstances that aren't public. Could be it is easier to tell dad some lame reason than be accountable for something tangible. Gotta give professional people the benefit of the doubt when things look too stupid to be believable.

Stratton has always had 4.0 gpa's and on honors. He was obsessed with OSU golf, he wasn't being late or rude to coach. It's a pretty simple conclusion really, power and speed is very important in competitive golf

Not doubting, but how are you able to confirm all that?

Ive followed his witb thread for years since he was a top high school player to going to osu, his dad would give updates on his sons playing, academic status etc all the time. He's also on the osu golf front page for academic honors right now.

So you know about the grades, but can't confirm anything else, apart from what you are being told. Not really a simple conclusion after all.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of dynamics going on with coaching a golf team at that level, guys. Not everything is about what is on paper. Kid could have been late to practices, in danger of failing academics, being confrontational with other players and staff, not listening to the coach, etc. Not saying any of that is true, but there are always circumstances that aren't public. Could be it is easier to tell dad some lame reason than be accountable for something tangible. Gotta give professional people the benefit of the doubt when things look too stupid to be believable.

Stratton has always had 4.0 gpa's and on honors. He was obsessed with OSU golf, he wasn't being late or rude to coach. It's a pretty simple conclusion really, power and speed is very important in competitive golf

Not doubting, but how are you able to confirm all that?

Ive followed his witb thread for years since he was a top high school player to going to osu, his dad would give updates on his sons playing, academic status etc all the time. He's also on the osu golf front page for academic honors right now.

So you know about the grades, but can't confirm anything else, apart from what you are being told. Not really a simple conclusion after all.

His dad would be in constant communication with the coach about his son and any issues of the sort. From what I’ve seen from following his dads thread over the years, he’s not one to make stuff up. He’s a stand up guy and a really good dad. Pretty simple for me to come up with the conclusion, not sure about you

His dad would be in constant communication with the coach about his son and any issues of the sort. From what I've seen from following his dads thread over the years, he's not one to make stuff up. He's a stand up guy and a really good dad. Pretty simple for me to come up with the conclusion, not sure about you

I just read it as taking someone's word for it (who you don't personally know?) in an online forum. For me, that is too simple.

I've worked in large universities for years, and with college athletes as well. Hearing that a choice to play someone (or not) comes down to something so arbitrary doesn't pass the straight face test. Either dad is getting told something untrue, or there is another dynamic at play.

It isn't really a big deal either way. Other people's problems...

Titleist ProV1x

Out of respect to both Stratton and Breck, why don't we just get back to the discussion of the show and not them. Just my opinion.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

His dad would be in constant communication with the coach about his son and any issues of the sort. From what I've seen from following his dads thread over the years, he's not one to make stuff up. He's a stand up guy and a really good dad. Pretty simple for me to come up with the conclusion, not sure about you

I just read it as taking someone's word for it (who you don't personally know?) in an online forum. For me, that is too simple.

I've worked in large universities for years, and with college athletes as well. Hearing that a choice to play someone (or not) comes down to something so arbitrary doesn't pass the straight face test. Either dad is getting told something untrue, or there is another dynamic at play.

Madgolfer, happens all the time in sports. it's the way golf has been going, bigger taller and stronger. Welcome to the real world.

Madgolfer, happens all the time in sports. it's the way golf has been going, bigger taller and stronger. Welcome to the real world.

Jeep, I have been an athletic director and run school sports. I've run university programs and (like I said) worked with college athletes. You might want to think who is talking from real world and who isn't, because your information comes from an online forum thread where mine comes from work experience. Thinking that someone is riding the pine because of height is ridiculous. It doesn't happen that way in golf. Telling a kid that he isn't playing because he isn't tall enough violates a pile of NCAA and university policies, so much so that it could potentially open the program up to litigation. What the father is telling you didn't happen, because a coach of such a major program would know better. If you need to hold on to a contrary viewpoint, have at it, but at least base your input on something more tangible than, "I read this online..."

(irony notwithstanding)

Titleist ProV1x

The game might very well be going to bigger, taller, stronger. However, my son will be entering his Senior year on a full ride D1 scholarship, having played in every tournament in his collegiate career, including the NCAA Championship last year (where he beat all but 2 of the OSU players) and he is only 5'6" tall. I fail to prescribe to the theory that a college coach will only play his taller players in favor of the shorter ones. I would think that if height/length off the tee was a requirement to make the traveling team, then swing mechanics would also be a requirement. Watching the show Driven, it is very apparent that not many of these young men have 'cookie cutter' swings either. As for my son's swing, let's just say, it's not a swing you would want to teach your own child. When it comes to putting together the starting 5, coaches are looking at nothing more than, which 5 give the team the best chance to win. Though mechanics, athleticism, height, speed through the ball etc... do factor heavily into the recruiting process. Since the young man in question was recruited to a top tiered D1 program, he does have talent, but the height excuse is moot.

Madgolfer, it happens in sports, physicality can be judged without a coach saying it. I had a friend who was on state winning championship high school basketball team, very good basketball player but was short. Had the hardest time getting scholarships because of his height. Shaun Livingston was on the team and if Shaun was shorter, he wouldn’t be in the nba today, just how it is. Same with a short skinny guy trying to play a linebacker.

From reading Stratton’s thread it sounded like the coach looked at course setups and opponents they would face and strategically picked players, not just score.

Madgolfer, it happens in sports, physicality can be judged without a coach saying it. I had a friend who was on state winning championship high school basketball team, very good basketball player but was short. Had the hardest time getting scholarships because of his height. Shaun Livingston was on the team and if Shaun was shorter, he wouldn’t be in the nba today, just how it is. Same with a short skinny guy trying to play a linebacker.

From reading Stratton’s thread it sounded like the coach looked at course setups and opponents they would face and strategically picked players, not just score.

basketball football not the same physical requirements of golf. If I'm looking for a center and your 5"11 yeah I don't care how well you play or jump your too short. Golf if your 5'5 but drive it 320 I don't give a damn how tall you are. More to this story than anyone knows.

basketball football not the same physical requirements of golf. If I'm looking for a center and your 5"11 yeah I don't care how well you play or jump your too short. Golf if your 5'5 but drive it 320 I don't give a damn how tall you are. More to this story than anyone knows.

That is exactly the issue here, our physicality is directly related to your distance potential (Rory is an exception and he's like 5'10"). Stratton's dad even mentions that in the thread, distance comparison and not scores for Stratton. I'm sure if he was bombing it 320 at 5'5" we wouldn't be having this conversation. I don't know any 5'5" bombers if there are any.

And btw madgolfer, I’m in agreement with you it’s not always about the scores being put up like some are saying in this thread

That is not what was said. I said "Every thing equal between the two players, at the end of the day the number they put up is all that matters.". Everything equal means they attend practice, good morals, not a cancer to the team, high academic standards. Much more to it than golf.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Thats not always true that the dad is in constant contact with the coaches. Coaches are not required to listen to parental demand, questions, etc and many refuse this based solely on perception of other athletes on the team. A little different, but do you think Nick Saban called Jalen Hurt's or Tua Toomanyvowelstospell's dad at halftime and told him what he was thinking. Or now that Hurts dad did talk to him - do you think it makes a difference? The best player plays. Stroke average, like any other stat is a yearly thing and lineups are a daily/weekly thing. Play the hot hand and if it sticks...tough luck to the guy that got cold (remember who played SS for the Orioles before Cal?). The fact a parent is trying or is involved in trying to get his kid to play at the COLLEGIATE level is very disappointing (not saying this is the case in this instance). When this occurs, its usually the beginning of the end for a coach's hold on the team. For reference: I was a collegiate all-American and now work with a division 1 athletic program.

Jeep, you keep wanting to tell me what does and doesn't happen in sports, but that was my job for a long time. There is nothing you can tell me that I don't already know, so let me share some insight with you here. Where height is an intrinsic value for basketball, it plays no part in a golf match. A basketball coach can select a player according to height, and a football coach (I have an NFL coach in my family) can select by weight and overall size. But, a golf coach is not going to (and can not) bench a kid over a height value in golf. Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

And I think you stated earlier that the kid was supposedly told that he wasn't playing because of his height, and now you are saying the coach isn't actually coming out and saying it? Which is it now?

Titleist ProV1x

Jeep, you keep wanting to tell me what does and doesn't happen in sports, but that was my job for a long time. There is nothing you can tell me that I don't already know, so let me share some insight with you here. Where height is an intrinsic value for basketball, it plays no part in a golf match. A basketball coach can select a player according to height, and a football coach (I have an NFL coach in my family) can select by weight and overall size. But, a golf coach is not going to (and can not) bench a kid over a height value in golf. Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

And I think you stated earlier that the kid was supposedly told that he wasn't playing because of his height, and now you are saying the coach isn't actually coming out and saying it? Which is it now?

Read post 75 and thats pretty much it for me,

"That is exactly the issue here, our physicality is directly related to your distance potential (Rory is an exception and he's like 5'10"). Stratton's dad even mentions that in the thread, distance comparison and not scores for Stratton. I'm sure if he was bombing it 320 at 5'5" we wouldn't be having this conversation. I don't know any 5'5" bombers if there are any."

I never said the coach told his dad that.

yea, some of these crazy parents of junior athletes I imagine can get out of control. Probably bugs the heck out the coaches

If the dad was always bothering me about their kid, I wouldn't play them either. My daughter plays D1 golf. I have spoken to her coach on 3 occasions only. 1) On her official visit. 2) In September because she had a health issue. 3) In February because of the same health issue where she eventually had surgery. Parents should never contact a college coach about playing time.

I just want to know how Ricky ever got a start for OSU at only 5'9" ...shorty!

Driver: Taylormade Sim 9* w/ Ventus Red TR 6x

3-wood: Taylormade Sim Max 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

5-wood: Taylormade Sim w/ Tour AD DI 7x

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX (3-iron)

Irons: Srixon ZX 7 (4 - 9 iron)

Wedges:  Ping Glide 4.0 Raw 46*, 50*, 56*  

Putter: Odyssey O-works 3T or Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Rat or Odyssey 7 Bird 

Golf Ball: '24 Titleist AVX

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet 2 wraps

My 8 yo recently attended a top tier D1 programs camp. Coach was talking recruiting and how they look at how tall the kids parents are when recruiting them. Seemed ridiculous, but must be a common philosophy among coaches. My first thought....I should wear boots next year.

This is true. More so in females than males, but definitely true with both sexes. Had a coach tell me that they looked for girls 5’6” and taller. However, there is always an exception to the rule.

My 8 yo recently attended a top tier D1 programs camp. Coach was talking recruiting and how they look at how tall the kids parents are when recruiting them. Seemed ridiculous, but must be a common philosophy among coaches. My first thought....I should wear boots next year.

Here's what you're looking for.

Here's what you're looking for.

Lol...that would do the trick.

I posted this article in another thread some time back. IMHO, if coaches put too much weight into the height factor, they will be missing out on a lot of great players. The ideal height seems to lie between 5′9″ and 6′3″. Jack 5'10, Ben 5'9", Arnold 5'9", Watson 5'10", Snead 5'11", Seve 6'0" and Tiger at 6'1". However the newer crop is ranging taller such as Rory 5'9 and 3/4", Thomas 5'10", Speith 6'1", Koepka 6'1", Rahm 6'2" and DJ 6'4". If you stick in Vijay, Norman, Els or Mickelson you got some at the top of the range also.

The point of the article was that taller possibly had a higher ceiling, but what's between the ears and the short game seem to be the tried and true to determine someone's potential to be great at golf.....not height.

https://www.tutelman.../tallGolfer.php

Here is the bottom line they came up with:

• Strength matters! If you assume the taller golfer is scaled up in all dimensions -- weight, muscles, size of joints, etc -- there is an implied strength advantage that accounts for all of the extra driving distance.
  • Length of arc is detrimental, if it comes from a bigger radius. That's because it increases the need for strength to get the same rotation rate. (I have done other studies that show length of arc helps if it comes from a bigger angle. But that's not a tall-vs-short thing. You can have the extra shoulder turn whether you are tall or short.)
  • "Taller implies farther" is not a statistical accident. Taller golfers are statistically likely to hit a golf ball farther. But the statistical correlation is far from the whole story; other factors are more important for driving distance.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

We really enjoyed it. The college experience for these guys is WAYYY different than what I experienced. Some of the scores from OSU were crazy low.

Your team didn't fly on a private jet?

But they eat hot dogs!!?? The humanity! No athlete eats those. Maybe they just made them for the camera. Then threw them away and drank protein shakes. Haha

Have you seen the PGA tour lately? Other than a few notable exceptions, its not like there are a bunch of 6'2 220 lb guys walking around... World #1 is LISTED at 5'10 145. Do you think he is actually 5'10??

Everyone seems to be trending skinnier. Spieth looks like a rail, JT looks like a rail, Adam Scott and Jason day have thinned down.

What's the deal? Is it a speed thing?

Maybe to maximize on trackman they have found you need to be skinnier. But Aaron wise is a pretty muscular guy and he just blew the skinny guys away. In Dallas. Leishman also is kinda a bigger fellow and he ca,e in second. Somehow I don't think being skinny with no muscle is the answer.