Best putter you ever saw - what putter did they use?

greenpiece

I'm always curious as to what great putters use on the greens. Most of the ones I've seen in person have used fairly traditional putters like blades or Anser-style models.

So I'm wondering, of all the people you've seen in person on the course, who was the best putter? And what putter did they use?

Please don't count touring pros like Tiger or Faxon.

The best putter I've ever seen in person is a local senior amateur here in Virginia Beach. He uses a Wilson 8813, the last version they made with the Mandrella name on the sole.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best putter I've ever watched was a guy at my club who uses an Odyssey XG *7. This guy had absolutely perfect aim. I watched him line up and his putter was EXACTLY aimed on the correct line - and he always hit it straight. And had immense touch. He was the lead guy on my scramble team and always the last to putt. We would all take a go at 12-15 foot putts for birdie and miss and he would put the ball dead center. Incredibly clutch performance.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

i played in a state qualifier a few months ago, and one of the guys in my group put on the best putting performance i have ever seen using a TM spider. from the tee, he was definitely the shortest hitter. but on the greens, he was money. while the rest of us in the group shot mid-70's that day, this guy carded a 65 to advance. drive for show, putt for $$...

Hands down the best putter in the Lower part of South Carolina is a guy who was a former club pro down here in the 80's. He is in his late 40's or so and he makes more 15' to 25' footers than anyone I have hever seen. He is a scratch player, uses a 70's/80's bullseye and has a very unique grip that he has done for over 25 years...he grips is left hand normal and then puts his right hand half way down the shaft. It is crazy, but it gets his eyes over the line and allows him to just swing the arms and shoulders.

By far the best putter I've personally played with is Jeff Corr. He plays on the Hooters Tour and other various mini-tours in and around Florida.

The day I played with him, I was inside of him on all but four holes, he shot 63 or 64 and I shot 70. Last year he won a Hooters event at -30!! And that was with a double bogey on 17 in the final round. He just won again last week shooting -20 under. The guy can putt like nothing I have ever seen. Another Hooters player that is an exceptional putter is Ted Potter. He had a nice little 60 two weeks ago!

I've played with many PGA tour guys and they simply are not even close to Jeff in terms of putting.

Jeff uses Rife exclusively (Aussie last year, I think he is using a Aussie mallet now) and I think Ted uses an Odyssey White Hot #2 center shaft. These are off the rack putters, nothing special by any means.

Welllll, this might not be the rarest answer. Up until a month ago the best putting round i ever saw was by an 11 handicapper using, of all fricken things a Tiger Shark putter. It wasn't luck either. He made that thing sing, even from just off the green.

Just recently tho my lucky dip parter in a 4 ball stroke (we/he won, 9 capper) sunk putts from long range often with some sort of older Cameron, like an Anser model. It was a great display. These guys outputted scratch markers and even a +2 i have watched a few times. Neither display was a fluke.

Won't stop me loving my Cameron and Mills tho.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Several senior players (in their 70s) at my club shoot at or near par from the senior tees on a regular basis.

Inside of 10 feet they just don't miss.

They all use old,old, Bullseye putters that look like they came out of a junk yard.

One bit of information that I will have to add...these guys play 4 to 5 time per week.

Every week.

Callaway Rouge 10.5

Rouge 3 wood

XR hybrid 19*

4-LW XR irons

White Hot 1

Several senior players (in their 70s) at my club shoot at or near par from the senior tees on a regular basis.

Inside of 10 feet they just don't miss.

They all use old,old, Bullseye putters that look like they came out of a junk yard.

One bit of information that I will have to add...these guys play 4 to 5 time per week.

Every week.

And I'll bet my life savings not one received a putter fitting. :cheesy:

he grips is left hand normal and then puts his right hand half way down the shaft. It is crazy,

hmmm kinda like this:

shooter20ow.jpg

BANG! Shooter... ;)

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

It's interesting about some of the great putters mentioned here using Cameron putters. I personally love the look and feel of Camerons. But I've never really putted well with them. Obviously Tiger can though. But of all the great amateurs I've seen here in Virginia that are great putters, none of them use Camerons.

The best I ever saw/played with was a guy who had a home made putter, this was probably 8-9 years ago. He told me he made it himself, he was a retired auto engineer.

He putted side sadle, facing the hole with the putter on his side. He had some sort of weird bent angle long shaft, and probably some golfsmith mallet type head attached. His putting motion was basically like pitching horse shoes with his right hand, his shaft at the end was almost vertical. He held the top of the putter with his left, with the thumb on top, the shaft angled quite sharply just above where he held it in his right hand so that the top of the putter hit him right in the middle of his chest.

Like this, but with a bent shaft.....

fosetupwlabel.jpg

He played to a mid single digit handicap, but that was because he was probably an 18 handicap tee to green, but on the green, he made almost everything inside of 20 feet, it was amazing. I played him in a handicaped match play tournament. When I saw him swing then hit on the first tee, I though there must have been a mistake, he is in the wrong flight or something, until we got on the green. I did beat him, but it went 19 holes, I stiffed an 9 iron from a fairway bunker to make a birdie and win the match, but he had a putt that could have pushed it, but missed from long distance...

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Back in one of the groups I played in, we had one guy in his early 60s that drained everything from everywhere. He putted a MnBr Ping Kushin that looked like he bought it new 30 years ago. The patina was so dark it was almost black, except for a little gold in the middle of the face.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

The best I ever saw/played with was a guy who had a home made putter, this was probably 8-9 years ago. He told me he made it himself, he was a retired auto engineer.

He putted side sadle, facing the hole with the putter on his side. He had some sort of weird bent angle long shaft, and probably some golfsmith mallet type head attached. His putting motion was basically like pitching horse shoes with his right hand, his shaft at the end was almost vertical. He held the top of the putter with his left, with the thumb on top, the shaft angled quite sharply just above where he held it in his right hand so that the top of the putter hit him right in the middle of his chest.

fosetupwlabel.jpg

He played to a mid single digit handicap, but that was because he was probably an 18 handicap tee to green, but on the green, he made almost everything inside of 20 feet, it was amazing. I played him in a handicaped match play tournament. When I saw him swing then hit on the first tee, I though there must have been a mistake, he is in the wrong flight or something, until we got on the green. I did beat him, but it went 19 holes, I stiffed an 9 iron from a fairway bunker to make a birdie and win the match, but he had a putt that could have pushed it, but missed from long distance...

wow...that seems really, really odd. It would be really interesting to try though. I imagine it allows for better perception on the shot, and wouldnt be so weird to be consistent with practice.

Best Putter I've seen is one of my playing partners and he also happens to be my club fitter. Uses a 5 year old Odyssey #2 with a winn grip. The crazy thing is he is very short and, should we say festivly plump. He crouches way low over the line and stands open, somewhere between conventional and the aforementioned face-on style. He also has the toe way up in the air, solid inch or more off the ground. Guy drains everything though.

He was playing to a 2 cap and recently suffered a stroke and is now at a 4. His scores are coming back down slowly. Play 2-3 times a week, and he'll be 50 next month.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

fosetupwlabel.jpg

wow...that seems really, really odd. It would be really interesting to try though. I imagine it allows for better perception on the shot, and wouldnt be so weird to be consistent with practice.

Back in 1995/96 or so, a 10 handicapper from our club tried to qualify for the Dave Pelz World Putting Championship with a long-handeled side-saddle putter just like the old boy pictured. Well guess what... the guy wins our club qualifier, then the state championship and then in the finals against the 49 other state champions and also a group of tour pros he finishes like 14th or 15th. Truely an amazing feat...

Don, are you still out there somewhere ?

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

A few years ago I played with an assistant club pro from Palm Springs who was in town to see his parents. He came out to a local muni with his dad and I was grouped with them. He also mentioned that he was playing quite a bit on various mini tours. I felt like I could keep up with him everywhere but on the green. This guy was just lights out on the green (and these were pretty bumpy greens). Tee to green I felt like we played the same, but he ended up with a 69 (-3) and I ended up with a 76. He used a SC Circa 62 #3 that he had just picked up at the TPI. Interestingly, he said that his only thought when putting was to feel like his toes were hanging off the edge of a cliff.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.5* Rogue Silver 60X
Titleist 915F 13.5* Diamana S+ 70X
Ping G 20.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 9.2X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW C-Taper 130X
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F, 54S, & 60K DG S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock #6 or Mizuno Bettinardi C-03

not sure who is the best putter i know...however my mom who is a 26 HI makes more long putts than anyone i have ever seen.

she will routnely make 2-5 , 20 + foot putts around.

one round i played with her she had aprox 90 feet of putts in 3 holes.

i think one hting to take away from this, at elast for me is that she NEVER leave a long putt short. get them to the hole, maybe they will go in!!!

she does miss some short ones thoiugh.

• 2 years later...

Best I saw plays D1 now. He has a TM ghost equivalent to Del Mar (can't remember the random numbers). Before that, he used a Scotty studio select 2.5 or 1.5

Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Oban Devotion
Titleist 913fd 15* Diamana D+
Ping i25 19*
Titleist 714 AP2/MB KBS Tour (3-P)
Vokey 52F, TVD 58M
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

A few years ago I played in 2 local amateur events with a guy who at the time was in his late 30's who played a Ping B60 that was about 40" long and he anchored it against his left arm (Kuchar-style), knocked his knees (Palmer-style) and made EVERYTHING from 20' on in and never had more than about a 14" putt after his first putt. I played with him for 4 rounds that summer over about a 2 month period and it was no fluke. He putted the same every round I played with him.

PING G25 9.5*
PING G15 15.5*
PING i15 20*
PING i3 Blade
PING Tour-W 50*, 54*, 58*
Guerin Rife 2-Bar Mallet

I wonder if this is the same guy Pelz refers to in his Putting book. He talks about a guy who had the stance and held the putter under the arm as you describe and Pelz said he was in shock and had never seen anyone putt as well before or after.

fosetupwlabel.jpg

Back in 1995/96 or so, a 10 handicapper from our club tried to qualify for the Dave Pelz World Putting Championship with a long-handeled side-saddle putter just like the old boy pictured. Well guess what... the guy wins our club qualifier, then the state championship and then in the finals against the 49 other state champions and also a group of tour pros he finishes like 14th or 15th. Truely an amazing feat...

Don, are you still out there somewhere ?

A junior at my club who was ranked in the top 10 who now plays for Clemson. Practices for hours each day just on chipping and putting and I mean hours. He drains 15 footer like they are tap ins. We have 3 nationwide tour players and many more mini tour guys and he makes them look like slackers on the putting green. He has so many training aids and other devices out their (fun to watch). He actually played in a PGA Tour event last year and shot 70, 71 and he was first in 4 different putting stats that week.

He uses a Odyssey White Hot standard anser version. Throws on a Scotty Grip and limited release headcover. (probably feels bad that he could have a Circle T for free but doesn't)

He also uses g20 irons and woods for all you blade players.