2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PGA Jr League

wildcatden

Anyone know what the rule is on playing for multiple teams? Our local league is about a week away from being done with their 'regular' season but another league asked if we'd play for them as well and they don't start until June.

Wow you guys started EARLY. My son doesn't even start regular matches until next week and the regular season runs through July.

I did a quick read through of eligibility and the handbook and saw nothing prohibiting playing for multiple leagues. However, I would shoot them a quick email.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't start matches for another 2 weeks.

Had our last match yesterday. The team won 5 of 5 events and averaged just below 10 points per match. Should have been higher but our two primary groups got smoked yesterday at our opponents home course. One kid we played against (had already played 18 holes the same day) was six under on his own ball.

Driving greens, chipping, putting?

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Had our last match yesterday. The team won 5 of 5 events and averaged just below 10 points per match. Should have been higher but our two primary groups got smoked yesterday at our opponents home course. One kid we played against (had already played 18 holes the same day) was six under on his own ball.

He was on the three par 5's in two. Par 4's he had little flip wedges in. Made a ton of putts including a 25 foot birdie on the last hole. Really just didn't have a stressful hole. On the par 3's since he had already played that day he didn't even scope the distance... just grabbed a club and went to the tee box. Total distance from the hole on par 3's (there were two) was about 8 feet.

What yardages do ya'll play?

He was on the three par 5's in two. Par 4's he had little flip wedges in. Made a ton of putts including a 25 foot birdie on the last hole. Really just didn't have a stressful hole. On the par 3's since he had already played that day he didn't even scope the distance... just grabbed a club and went to the tee box. Total distance from the hole on par 3's (there were two) was about 8 feet.

What yardages do ya'll play?

We play the forward tees on all courses because of the mixture of really good and beginning players. As a 12 year old my son went 5 under on 9 by himself on his own course in Jr. League. During league we like to pair good players up with beginners. Helps move kids a long, takes less time rather than partnering up good with good and beginner with beginner. Will be very interesting to see what he does this year. I know at several courses he can drive some of the Par 4's now. Will be on most Par 5's in two.

I think the team aspect is fun, but the competition is terrible. Every coach seems to have a strategy of pairing one good player with a beginner, but we’ve faced teams where not a single opposing player would break 50 from what appears to be 9-year old us kids yardages. We do get to play some nice tracks, however.

Also - no push carts at the courses we play, so I have to completely empty my son’s bag and pull out some clubs. Colleges allow push carts yet some of these country clubs want 8-9 year olds to carry their own bag. So dumb.

Do the courses that your kids play junior league on charge the parents for a cart when they go out to watch the kids play? Our league didn't the last few years but they are this year. The courses wanted to make some money so this is a way for them to do it.

Ours charge $10. I never rent a cart unless the weather forecast is unfavorable. I love walking every course.

Best walking stool ever.

http://www.walkstool.com/

Do the courses that your kids play junior league on charge the parents for a cart when they go out to watch the kids play? Our league didn’t the last few years but they are this year. The courses wanted to make some money so this is a way for them to do it.

Last year the public courses we played all charged $10-20 for cart. Interestingly, The high end private course we played didn’t charge and the other members parents were very friendly and accommodating - really treated us Like guests.

Yo - what size walkstool do you recommend? Want to get one for mom.

I will let you know what size I bought when I get home. I can't remember where I purchased online to find out the style an size I purchased. I can tell that they are lightweight and awesome.

I will let you know what size I bought when I get home. I can't remember where I purchased online to find out the style an size I purchased. I can tell that they are lightweight and awesome.

Thanks for this. Going to order one each for me and the wife - we spend a lot of on-course time watching my son play tourneys and just standing around for 5+ hours can be surprisingly tiring and hard on the back!

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Thanks for this. Going to order one each for me and the wife - we spend a lot of on-course time watching my son play tourneys and just standing around for 5+ hours can be surprisingly tiring and hard on the back!

I have the Comfort 65 cm. It is amazing and very comfortable. Do some shopping online. I got mine for $60.00.

I think the team aspect is fun, but the competition is terrible. Every coach seems to have a strategy of pairing one good player with a beginner, but we've faced teams where not a single opposing player would break 50 from what appears to be 9-year old us kids yardages. We do get to play some nice tracks, however.

Also - no push carts at the courses we play, so I have to completely empty my son's bag and pull out some clubs. Colleges allow push carts yet some of these country clubs want 8-9 year olds to carry their own bag. So dumb.

I have run in to the no push cart rule a few times over the years. I don't really understand it. I have politely asked at some courses why they have that rule in place and the only answer I have ever gotten is "that's just our rule." When I ask why it is their rule, they just say that's the way we have always done it.

I’m not sure where the $200+ goes to for the fee (minus uniforms) since the clubs aren’t charging for usage late in the afternoons, on saturdays, in the Oklahoma heat, where they have to walk.

But, my 10yr old enjoys it and it’s a good “learning” ground until the “supposed” regional-all star thing happens. Then it turns into every other little league sport....sort of like cutting two weight classes at state in youth wrestling (which we also run into)

TM Qi10 LS 10.5 / Ventus Blue 5s
Ping G425 MAX 5w (16*)+1/2” (250)
Ping G425 Max 7w (235)

Ping G430 Hybrid #4 (225)
Ping Blueprint-S 5-W

Vokey SM10 50, 56/10 (55) & 60/8M

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I’m not sure where the $200+ goes to for the fee (minus uniforms) since the clubs aren’t charging for usage late in the afternoons, on saturdays, in the Oklahoma heat, where they have to walk.

But, my 10yr old enjoys it and it’s a good “learning” ground until the “supposed” regional-all star thing happens. Then it turns into every other little league sport....sort of like cutting two weight classes at state in youth wrestling (which we also run into)

Our pro is a buddy of mine and he told me that the fees for junior league go to pay the course a litle bit, the pro gets a little for coaching, and some goes to pay for the stuff the kids get from the PGA. Some places charge more than others because some courses want more than others for the kids to play there. That is what I was told.

• 2 weeks later...

First match was last weekend and I had a great time. Still getting used to not being able to give any advice, but my son's partner is a bit older and has a lot of golf sense. He also knows my kids game pretty well. Our boy's shot -4 and won the match, but there was a tie between our team and one other so my son and his partner were chosen to do a play off between kids of similar age for the other team. I think everyone had a great time.

My son is one of the youngest but still hopeful he can make the all star team.

First match was last weekend and I had a great time. Still getting used to not being able to give any advice, but my son's partner is a bit older and has a lot of golf sense. He also knows my kids game pretty well. Our boy's shot -4 and won the match, but there was a tie between our team and one other so my son and his partner were chosen to do a play off between kids of similar age for the other team. I think everyone had a great time.

Never heard of a playoff in Jr. League.

They're playing in a four team league out of a single course trying to make a super team.

That's the best way to get to Nationals.

They're playing in a four team league out of a single course trying to make a super team.

That's the best way to get to Nationals.

Have you seen the changes to the playoffs?

This post season will have a different look than in the past. We will have a formal Section Championship with our “final four” All Star teams. These four teams will be determined from two local qualifiers. These qualifiers will be STROKE play, 2-person scramble format. You will have an aggregate team score, counting three of the four scores. The fourth score will be used as a tie-breaker. More information on this to follow.

Two teams from each of the two qualifiers will advance to the Section Championship. The Section Championship (and beyond) will revert back to the traditional head-to-head match play. Remember, your League will condense into one, 10-player All Star Team representing your League. More information on All Star selections, All Star Captains, etc. will follow as we approach the post season.

The structure for the Post Season is as follows:

Local Qualifiers: (your League/All Star team will compete in ONE of these qualifiers)

Date 1 - Course Location

Date 2 - Course Location

Section Championship: (top two teams from each of the two qualifiers will advance)

Date - Course Location

Three matches conducted over two days (Round Robin)

Western Regional: (Section Champion advances, joins other Section Champions)

Date - Course Location

Three matches conducted over two days (Round Robin)

National Championship: (Regional Champion advances; total of 12 Teams compete)

November 14-19 – Grayhawk Golf Club (Scottsdale, AZ)

Interesting. I wonder if this will make much of a difference aside from making scheduling easier. Scheduling the All-star matches and deciding who would be the home team was always a bit of a nightmare.

I spoke with a parent of a 12 year old that played for Roycebrook last year (they went to Nationals and finished 2nd) and apparently several kids from that team last year are now playing for a team in Delaware so they can get have a chance to get back to Nationals again. The whole traveling and recruiting thing doesn't sit well with me.

Looked a pga jr golf and we decided to pass. A lot issues discussed here is like all team sports out there. The great thing about golf is it is an individual sport and you don't need a team. It what attracted us to golf for our kids because they can control there own destiny. The kids who do best at it do not mind spending a lot time alone practicing play and what else they need to do for golf.

Golf can be lonely so I can understand why people would want to encourage their kids to join pga jr league but there is plenty of chances to play other kids with other tournaments. I have also found kids tend to get along with other kids who play golf pretty well.

At the end of the day it's an option but most local pga junior associations actually do a better jobs with putting on events for kids.

Looked a pga jr golf and we decided to pass. A lot issues discussed here is like all team sports out there. The great thing about golf is it is an individual sport and you don't need a team. It what attracted us to golf for our kids because they can control there own destiny. The kids who do best at it do not mind spending a lot time alone practicing play and what else they need to do for golf.

Golf can be lonely so I can understand why people would want to encourage their kids to join pga jr league but there is plenty of chances to play other kids with other tournaments. I have also found kids tend to get along with other kids who play golf pretty well.

At the end of the day it's an option but most local pga junior associations actually do a better jobs with putting on events for kids.

You have to understand why PGA Jr. League was set up. It was initially set up for younger kids for a recreational event. Team match play scramble that wasn't intimidating for kids just beginning the sport. As soon as a National Competition was set up it started to grow to better players. Adults got involved and started recruiting to their Leagues to make Super All-Star teams.

PGA Jr. League is still great. I love the team concept. If kids play high school and college, it is a team concept. It is great for social activity in a non stress free environment because of the scramble part of the competition. I just wish PGA Jr. League would decide who they want to be. They need to limit participation on a team to a geographical area/state or they need to open it up to the entire state or region forming an all star team without recruiting or jumping threw hoops to do it.

You have to understand why PGA Jr. League was set up. It was initially set up for younger kids for a recreational event. Team match play scramble that wasn't intimidating for kids just beginning the sport. As soon as a National Competition was set up it started to grow to better players. Adults got involved and started recruiting to their Leagues to make Super All-Star teams.

PGA Jr. League is still great. I love the team concept. If kids play high school and college, it is a team concept. It is great for social activity in a non stress free environment because of the scramble part of the competition. I just wish PGA Jr. League would decide who they want to be. They need to limit participation on a team to a geographical area/state or they need to open it up to the entire state or region forming an all star team without recruiting or jumping threw hoops to do it.

I understand the concept and the local level sounds like it makes sense. I just think what people see with the recruiting is pretty common on other team sports. We used to do dance competitions and those things have the same issues. Not sure why better players would even bother with something like this much better to do individual tournaments.

To me pga jr league seems like it is made for the kids who play football or hockey or some other sport and can fit golf in the off season. For those kids it sounds like a great event. For those of us who have kids that already play golf year round it is pretty much a waste of time.