Concerts you have attended

2ball

Wait, the Dead were not the best musically? I know that sometimes when they go off on their space jams it can be a little here or there, but that is the nature of improvisation, and overall they were some of the best musicians in their era. Percussion - Hart and Kreutzman, amazing (sure, not Neil Pert or Steve Gadd, but then who is). Bass - Phil Lesh, don't even argue. Guitars - Wier and Garcia, ummm yeah, say no more.

Meant to reply to this a while ago, got busy at work forgot about it until I was watching some stuff on the Dead over the weekend.

I agree they were some of the best musicians, however by the time I saw them in the 93-94 range Jerry was really far gone on the Heroin. Bret Mydland was already dead. They just were not the same as watching some of their earlier stuff from the 70's and early 80's. That is what I meant. Set list and solos seemed to turn darker and more experimental etc.

I mean I could listen to this all day but by the time the 90's rolled around it was too late.

[media=]

[/media]

I agree on that. I saw the Dead in the late 70s early 80s and they were amazing. I was just learning guitar at that time, and I used to be in awe of their guitar work. They inspired a lot of the way I play and improvise.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a proud born and bred Brummie I had the pleasure of attending Black Sabbaths last ever gig at the NEC, Birmingham (Feb 17). Ozzie may not have the power in his voice anymore but he still owns the stage. Geezer used his bass in the colours of Aston Villa for Paranoid, at least half the crowd was happy with that.

I saw Kraftwerk last year at the Symphony Hall Birmingham. We all had 3D glasses to watch the projections behind them, absolutely amazing.

Arcade Fire's tour this year was also brilliant. The hairs are standing up on my neck just thinking about Wake Up and Sprawl II.

Coming up - Pixies at the Roundhouse in London. They are doing Surfer Rosa / Come on Pilgrim in its entirety.

"Carol Vorderman..... I was watching her the other day .....and I got aroused...............7 letters ... not bad for someone who left school at 15"

Gotta love Peter Alliss!

How about a little slide in a different direction:

What are some concerts ya'll want to see coming up? What are some concerts you wish you could've seen?

Coming up I've got Dead & Co, Lynryd Skynrd, & DMB on tap. Toying with the idea of seeing Umphreys Mcgee at Red Rocks. Has anyone seen a concert there? I've heard it's worth it.

I'd love to see A Tribe Called Quest live but it's just not going to be the saw without Phife Dog.

i want to see cheap trick but they come with poison attached ....

What are some concerts ya'll want to see coming up? What are some concerts you wish you could've seen?

Coming up I've got Dead & Co, Lynryd Skynrd, & DMB on tap. Toying with the idea of seeing Umphreys Mcgee at Red Rocks. Has anyone seen a concert there? I've heard it's worth it.

I'd love to see A Tribe Called Quest live but it's just not going to be the saw without Phife Dog.

Big Cheap Trick fan here. Poison would be a deal breaker for me too.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I watched Cheap Trick in concert on tv once and was really surprised at how good their guitarist is. Almost like their band was created around him.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Dead & Co. last night. Always a fun time no matter what. I get irked when people try to compare Jerry and the Dead to John and the Co. Both are very different, but as someone who was born a couple years too late, John does a damn fine job IMO. I don't know how Bobby still gets after it.

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Only 1 ever, Ronnie Milsap.

My wife and I saw Ronnie Milsap a few months ago with TG Shepard. I had never heard of either until I met my wife, I just dont like country music. She wanted to go, her dad liked Milsap, so I bought her tickets for her birthday. TG Shepard played first, was ok. Milsap took the stage, played one full song, then started in on some weird mashup where he basically played 1 verse from all of his popular songs run together in one. We left after about the 5th different verse. I wouldnt spend another dime on that one. Not my crowd, not my kind of venue, ad the music sucked.

Saw Rage Against The Machine at the Summit in Houston (now a mega church for Joel Osteen) back just after I graduated high school. Still in my top 5 favorite bands. Saw Fuel a couple of months ago at a little dive bar in a tiny town on the water south of Houston. That was a weird show. Some of the local opener bands were good, most were mediocre, and the singer for Fuel looked like he had the flu. We left after we heard the 2-3 songs we wanted to hear.

Saw Ted Nugent once. If I never saw that arrogant *****'s face again, I'd be good with that. My buddy was in a band sponsored by Bud Light, who was also on of Ted's sponsors. They opened for him at the Strawberry Festival in Pasadena, TX several years ago. They were supposed to have an hour set before he was scheduled to go on. They had their tour bus parked where the event hosts told them to park it, and when he pulled his bus in, he sent one of his cronies out and told them they needed to get their bus out of the way so his friends could park there. They ended up having to move to the main parking lot. They got on stage, and literally 10 minutes into their set, that same guy that told them to move their bus walked out on stage with them, mid song, and told them they needed to finish up and get there sh** off the stage because "Mr Nugent is ready to play". I was never really a fan of his before, and I wouldn't pi$$ on him if his guts were on fire now. They were an up and coming band, trying to make it, and there was a lot of press around this show because of Nugent, and he took their opportunity to showcase their talent before they really got started with their show.

I was never a big concert goer until my current wife. I had seen a few random shows here and there up until a few years ago. Saw ZZ Top at the rodeo, Metallica, Kid Rock, Korn, System of a Down and Powerman 5000 on the Summer Sanatarium Tour back in late 90's early 2000's in Dallas, Incubus at the Woodlands Pavillion, and a few random shows I dont remember. Since I've been with her, I've seen (at one show, Buzzfest in Houston) Breaking Benjamin (my favorite of the bunch at that show), Filter, Godsmack, Highly Suspect, P.O.D, Red Sun Rising, PVRIS, Toadies, Missio, and a few bands I'd never heard of. Another show by the same station had Chevelle, Blue October, 10 years, Missio and a band I've never heard of called Dinosaur Pile-up. I went specifically for Chevelle, but unfortunately we had to leave about 3 songs into their set. My wife still owes me a chevelle show. Saw Guns n Roses with Skrillex in 2016 (weird combination, but I dug it).

My step-daughter has a favorite band that hasnt made it big yet. They're one of these new modern alternative bands based out of California called Night Riots. Not exactly my style of music, but better than country, lol. First time I saw them they were on tour with The Killers and The Hunna. Had never heard any of them, but ended up liking all 3. Then it was Andrew McMahon. Still not a huge fan, but he has a good story and does a lot of good charity work. Last time the headliner was All Time Low, again, not my style but not horrible. We have followed them all over the place, from Houston to Dallas, Austin, San Diego, Anaheim. They have been to see them (before I met them) outside of San Fran and a couple of other places. We've kind of gotten to know them over the years. They're all really nice guys, and they're plenty talented, but they just havent had the exposure. They typically play House of Blue's style venues. I've heard one of their songs twice on Sirius on the Alt Nation station. They're coming to Houston tonight and we're going to see them, again. Last time they came to Houston, we got them 3 rooms at the Hilton Americas in downtown, and had lunch with them at the Pappasito's the next day before they left for their next show.

Of all those shows, my favorite was last year. We saw Volbeat and Avenged Sevenfold, with Metallica as the headliner. Volbeat and Metallica are two of my favorite bands, and while Avenged Sevenfold isnt even in my top 10, they were good live. Volbeat was one of the best live performances I've seen, behind Metallica and Breaking Benjamin. Breaking Benjamin was never really on my radar (had heard a lot of their songs, but never made it a point to listen to them), but after seeing them live, I really liked them. Their stage presence and the performance were phenomenal. Much better than what I was expecting from just hearing their music. Highly suspect is a band that I love their music, but the singer is a ******. He gave an interview before their set, and the way he handled himself kind of turned me off to them a little, then when they came out on stage they immediately started with some political statement and a song about it that no one has ever heard, and it just changed my perspective on them a bit. I still like their music, but doubt I would see them live again.

Aerosmith/Collective Soul

Garteful Dead with Jerry/Rusted Root

Steve Miller/Pat Benetar

Ozzfest 98- Tool,Soulfly Coal Chamber, Limp Bizkit, Megadeth,Incubus,System of a Down, Life of Agony, Motorhead, Sevendust, Kilgore, Melvins

Black Sabbath/Pantera

Ozzfest 99- Slayer, Deftones,Static-X,Slipknot,Godmack,Fear Factory,Drain S.T.H,Rob Zombie,System of a Down,Flashpoint,Puya,Primus

Roger Waters

Creed/Sevendust,UPO

Ozzfest 2000- Pantera,Godsmack,Static-X,Incubus,Methods of Mayhem,Queens of the stone age,Pumpjack,Crazytown,Pitchshifter,Taproot,Primer 55,Shuvel,Kittie,Disturbed,Ministry,The Deadlights,Slaves on Dope,Soulfly

Korn/Papa Roach/Powerman 5000

Pantera/Soulfly/Morbid Angel/Nothingface

A perfect Circle/Snake River Conspiracy

Lynyrd Skynyrd/Deep Purple/Ted Nugent

Poison/Warrant/Quiet Riot/Enuff Znuff

Ozzfest 2001- Black Sabbath,Marilyn Manson,Slipknot,Papa Roach,Linkin Park,Crazytown,Black Label Society,Disturbed,Mudvayne,Taproot,Union Underground,Hatebreed,Godhead,Non-Point,Drowning Pool,Spineshank,Otep,Pure Rubbish,American Head Charge,Beatiful Creatures, No One,Systematic,Pressure4-5

Godsmack/Deftones/Puddle of Mud,Darwins Waiting Room,From Zero

Tool/Meshuggah

Tool/Phantomas

Ozzfest 2002- Ozzy,System of a Down,Rob Zombie,P.O.D,Drowning Pool,Adema,Black Label Society,DOWN, Hatebreed,Messugah,Apex Theory,Pulse Ultra,Neurotica,Chevelle,ILL Nino,Flaw 3rd Strike,Otep,Andrew W.K,Mushroomhead,Soil,The Used,Swithced

Pearl Jam

X-Fest 2003- Godsmack,Staind,Evanescence,The Donnas,Seether,Taproot,Trapt,Eve 6,The Used,Juliana Theory,Punchline,Breaking Benjamin,12 Stones,Smile Empty Soul

Iron Maiden/DIO/Motorhead

Kid Rock/Hemigod

Rush

Metallica/Godsmack

Ozzfest 2005- Black Sabbath,Iron Maiden,Mudvayne,Shadows Fall, Black Label Society,In Flames,Rob Zombie,As I Lay Dying,Mastodon,Bury your Dead,It Dies Today,Soilwork,Trivium,Black Dahlia Murder,Arch Enemy,The Haunted

Tool/Isis

Dropkick Murphy`s/Time Again

CrueFest 09- Motley Crue,Godsmack,Charm City Devils, Drowning Pool

Guns N Roses/Wolfmother

Sorry I may have missed a few...

THAT is my kind of list! DOWN, Slipknot, Otep, Messhuga, Soulfly, Black Label Society, Hatebreed, Tool, Pantera, Primus, Fear Factory and Sevendust are all bands I'd love to see. My ears hurt just thinking about some of those shows. I'm not sure my wife would want to go to any of them though, lol.

I watched Cheap Trick in concert on tv once and was really surprised at how good their guitarist is. Almost like their band was created around him.

Rick Neilson (the guitarist) is the founder of the band.

I've seen too many concerts to list.

Oh well - here's a bunch I've seen:

Phish (125 times - shut up. I know I have a problem, OK? :dntknw: )

The Police

R.E.M.

Robert Plant

The Kinks

The Rolling Stones

The Who

Van Halen

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Moe

Widespread Panic

Phish (an obscene amount of times)

Al Stewart

Allman Brothers Band

Andrew Bird

The Apples in Stereo

Arcade Fire

Asia

Autumn Defense

Band of Horses

Beach Boys

Brian Wilson

Ben Folds

Ben Folds Five

Beth Orton

The Black Crowes

Blind Melon (free concert at USF in Tampa - and I also had tickets to see them in St Pete, but Shannon Hoon died from an overdose two days before in New Orleans was it?)

Bob Dylan

Rat Dog

David Byrne

Talking Heads

Brian Jonestown Massacre

Bootsy Collins

British Sea Power

Bruce Horsnby

Bela Fleck

Bruce Springsteen

Budos Band

Buffalo Tom (met my wife there)

The Call

Canned Heat (ok - only the drummer was an original member)

Charlatans

The Cars

Cheap Trick

Chicago

The Church

Courtney Barnett

The National

Kurt Vile

War on Drugs

Cracker

CS&N

Dandy Warhols

Jesus & Mary Chain

Dean Ween Group

Ween

Death Cab for Cutie

Decemberists

Dinosaur Jr

Eric Clapton

Dr Dog

Dire Straits

Echo and the Bunnymen

Elvis Costello

Elliott Smith

The Fixx

The Flaming Lips

Fleet Foxes

Gary Clark Jr

Gary Numan

Genesis

Gomez

The Gourds

Govt Mule

GRAB

Grant Lee Buffalo

Greensky BlueGrass

Greyboy Allstars

Guided By Voices

Guster

Hackensaw Boys

Herbie Hancock

Hothouse Flowers

Howard Jones

INXS

Iron Maiden

Peter Wolfe

The Jam

James

The Jayhawks

Jeff Tweedy

Jellyfish

Jerry Garcia Band

Jim James

Jethro Tull

Joe Jackson

New Order

Judybats

Julian Cope

The Killers

Kings of Leon

Leon Bridges

Levon Helm & Friends

Liz Phair

Little River Band

Little Feat

Luna

Los Lobos

Matthew Sweet

Meat Puppets

Medeski, Martin & Wood

Megadeth

Merl Saunders & Friends

The Meters

Fishbone

Midnight Oil

Moody Blues

MyNameIsJohnMichael

10,000 Maniacs

Natalie Merchant

The National

Neil Young

New Order

Nick Lowe

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

N Mississippi All-Stars

Oasis

Okkervil River

OysterHead

Vida Blue

Paul Simon

Paul Weller

Peter Gabriel

Pavement

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks

Phil Lesh & Friends

Pink Floyd

The Posies

Primal Scream

Prince

Public Image Limited

Punch Brothers

Queens of the Stone Age

Raconteurs

Radiohead

Railroad Earth

The Replacements

Rod Stewart

Rush

Ryan Adams

Rusted Root

The Samples

The Shins

The Slip

Sloan

Slowdive

Son Volt

Soundgarden

Spoon

Squeeze

Stanton Moore

Steely Dan

Steve Miller Band

Steve Winwood

Stevie Wonder

Stone Roses

String Cheese Incident

Supergrass

Taj Mahal

Television

They Might Be Giants

Them Crooked Vultures

Todd Rundgren

Tom Petty

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Toto

Traffic

Tragically Hip

Trey Anastasio Band

Triumph

The Tubes

TV on the Radio

The Roots

U2

Umphrey's McGee

Van Morrison

The Verve

Warren Zevon

White Stripes

Wilco

White Denim

Yes

Yo La Tengo

ZZ Top

I know I've seen more bands than this, too. That's picked from bands I've seen out of my music collection.

At Canton Jester....

hit a speed bump when i saw iron maiden in there.....

I saw the Somewhere in Time and the Seventh Son tours at the Hollywood Sportatorium (‘87, ‘88), and then they cx’d a show I had tickets for at the USF Sun Dome in ‘91...

I loved that band back in the day. Holy crap what a worldwide draw they were.

Oh, and I forgot to add to the list that I saw Tesla - both Mechanical Resonance (opened for Def Leppard) and Great Radio Controversy tours.

At Canton Jester....

I saw the Somewhere in Time and the Seventh Son tours at the Hollywood Sportatorium ('87, '88), and then they cx'd a show I had tickets for at the USF Sun Dome in '91...

Oh, and I forgot to add to the list that I saw Tesla - both Mechanical Resonance (opened for Def Leppard) and Great Radio Controversy tours.

Umphrey's has got to be one of my favorite shows I've ever seen. Seen them 3 times now. I'd love to see Greensky. How was Merl Saunders?! & be honest did you see Toto solely for Africa and Rosanna? Joe Jackson solely for Stepping out? (I was fortunate enough to see UM perform stepping out. It was so awesome.)

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

At Canton Jester....

I saw the Somewhere in Time and the Seventh Son tours at the Hollywood Sportatorium ('87, '88), and then they cx'd a show I had tickets for at the USF Sun Dome in '91...

Iron Maiden puts on a heck of a show. For whatever reason, I've missed them the last few times they've been stateside, but will not let that happen again if I can.

Tesla is great too. Saw them open for a few acts, but also alone at a small venue in Grand Rapids about 10 years ago and it was awesome.

At Canton Jester....

Umphrey's has got to be one of my favorite shows I've ever seen. Seen them 3 times now. I'd love to see Greensky. How was Merl Saunders?! & be honest did you see Toto solely for Africa and Rosanna? Joe Jackson solely for Stepping out? (I was fortunate enough to see UM perform stepping out. It was so awesome.)

Yeah, I’ve seen Umphreys at a number of jamband festivals through the years, and also locally here in Baltimore, MD a few other times. They’re a really talented band. I saw Merl Saunders down in FL at Skippers Smokehouse in Tampa back in ‘97. Pretty much one of the last shows I saw in FL before moving north. Great show. Toto I saw last year at Pier Six. I mean, yeah, you like Africa, Hold the Line and Rosanna, but the core members of that band got their start as session musicians filling in on albums by big artists in the 70s. They’re really good musicians. Oh and search out one of those 10 minute versions of Rosanna on Youtube. Yowza.

Joe Jackson I saw down at one of the venues down in DC in the early 00s. I’ve always been a fan of intelligent, pissed off and satirical songwriters. Robyn Hitchcock, Elvis Costello, Waren Zevon etc..They all kinda share that trait.

At Canton Jester....

Iron Maiden puts on a heck of a show. For whatever reason, I've missed them the last few times they've been stateside, but will not let that happen again if I can.

Tesla is great too. Saw them open for a few acts, but also alone at a small venue in Grand Rapids about 10 years ago and it was awesome.

I saw a bunch of hair bands in the 80s my buddies and I would drive down to Ft Lauderdale or Miami to see bands play live (I lived in Palm Beach Gardens during the late 80s)..I remember raving about Tesla when they opened for Def Leppard on their Hysteria tour. They blew me away. Same thing happened when I saw them a year or two later when they toured on ‘Great Radio Controversy’. They had a split bill tour with Great White. I mean, they were fun, but Tesla just brought it. Crunchy, yet a little swampy without the rebel flag. They were far and away my favorite of the 80s hard rock acts. But then Nirvana happened and the rock world was turned upside down.

• 3 weeks later...

At Canton Jester....

Tesla does put on a great show. My wife dragged me to my first Tesla show House of Blues Chicago - it was their reel to reel tour. When they opened with Rock bottom (by UFO) I was hooked

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Cult/STP/Bush show.... The Cult was great. The other 2.... I watched the Mets/Yankees game on my phone.

Styx was horrible a couple weeks ago. They have a new album, and they played a lot of it. It's a concept album about outer space! Styx... outer space... who would've ever saw that coming? Joan Jett was ok, and Tesla was solid as ever though.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll list what I can remember.

Tom Petty (x2)

Counting Crows (x3)

U2

The Rolling Stones

Pearl Jam

Live

Disturbed

Third Eye blind (x3)

Better Than Ezra

Collective Soul

Joe Jackson

Tudd Rundgrenn (x2)

Hall and Oates (x3)

The Lemonheads

Gigolo Ants

James

Psychedelic Furs (x2)

Violent Femmes

Eddie Money

Dennis DeYoung

Vince Neil

Travis Tritt

The Guess Who

America

Joan Jett

.38 Special

Colin Hay (x3)

Kix

Blondie

I'm probably missing quite a few

Took my wife to see The English Beat twice in 8 days in Annapolis last month. Dave Wakeling is obviously the only original member so it's more like Dave Wakeling's English Beat. Either way, both shows were outstanding. They're actually playing Artscape in Baltimore on July 21.

I may forget some but here we go...

Stone Temple Pilots

Deep Purple

Metallica

Jerry Cantrell

Aerosmith

Manowar

Hatebreed

Fear Factory

Lamb of God

Amon Amarth

Iced Earth (x3)

Children of Bodom

In Flames

Nightwish

Evergrey

Blind Guardian

Anthrax

Jimmy Buffett

...I miss going to college in Buffalo with Toronto so close for good bands.

Signature!

Some of the better shows I've seen since I started going to concerts around 2000 or so (I'm 33 now):

ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd

Collective Soul, Counting Crows, Live

Dwight Yoakam, Clint Black

Black Crowes, Robert Randolph and the Family Band

Rush (Multiple Times)

Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, Trey Anastasio (Probably my favorite individual concert)

Joe Bonamassa (Multiple Times)

Tedeschi Trucks Band (Multiple Times)

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

Judging by how bad my tinitus is way too many shows.

Springsteen. Who. Clash. Pistols. Journey. Seager. Aerosmith. Chicago. McCartney. Springfield. Smitherines. Steve Vanzant. South side Johnny. Bangles. Go Go's. English beat. Void. UK subs. Dead Kennedy's. Black flag. Minor threat. Exploited. Elvis Costello. Asia. Melencamp. U2. Van Hager. Cheap Trick. Rod Stewart. Stones. Matthew Sweet. Bob Muld. Heart. Cindy Lauper. Pretenders. Marshall Crenshaw. ZZ Top. A lot of these are multiple times. I was lucky that my dad worked at the old Capital Centre and we didn't have to wait in line for tickets. I also rodied for a local bad and we open for many national acts. Also, when I grew up we had a lot of great Venus the best was the original 9:30 club.

Damn wonder my ears are shot and always ringing.

The first concert I ever saw was in 1973 (ZZ Top) when I was 27. I think my tastes differ just a bit from some of you, but since then I've seen the following:

Yes (8 times), Genesis (6), Jethro Tull (4), Kansas (4), Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (2), Moody Blues (2), The Who, Yes ARW, Marillion, Rush, Alan Parsons Project, Dave Mason, Dire Straits, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Transatlantic, Jon Anderson, Ian Anderson, Procul Harum, U.K., Sissel Kyrkjebo, and Al Stewart.

There are several bands that I deeply regret never having seen live, such as Pink Floyd, Queen, and Camel. Others still performing that I'd love to see...if they'd ever come to the western U.S....are Pendragon, IQ, Flower Kings, and Karnataka. And even now, at 73, I have tickets to see Steve Hackett in October in Sacramento. Can't wait!