Solar Sleeves and other UV Clothing, What's Best IYO

Let me add a sunscreen recommendation as well. Blue Lizard is always excellent, but I have migrated to Australian Gold Botanical as my go to sunscreen. The regular SPF 50 version simply does not come off and seems to protect very well. The SPF 50 face formulation works fantastic as well, but unless some of you guys trend metro the matte tint might challenge your manhood. LOL!

Are these sunscreens full of the parobens or whatever those chemicals are that are bad? I use sunscreen every time I play but my understanding is that not all are created equal and that some might even be harmful.

Active ingredients are Ti oxide and Zinc oxide. I am pretty sure no avobenzone, oxyacrilate, etc... (the bad stuff in the cheap sunscreens that turns your whites to yellow) are used.

You buy off amazon or where do you go?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me add a sunscreen recommendation as well. Blue Lizard is always excellent, but I have migrated to Australian Gold Botanical as my go to sunscreen. The regular SPF 50 version simply does not come off and seems to protect very well. The SPF 50 face formulation works fantastic as well, but unless some of you guys trend metro the matte tint might challenge your manhood. LOL!

Are these sunscreens full of the parobens or whatever those chemicals are that are bad? I use sunscreen every time I play but my understanding is that not all are created equal and that some might even be harmful.

Active ingredients are Ti oxide and Zinc oxide. I am pretty sure no avobenzone, oxyacrilate, etc... (the bad stuff in the cheap sunscreens that turns your whites to yellow) are used.

You buy off amazon or where do you go?

CVS pharmacy carries it. I have not found it elsewhere, but it is probably available online as well.

Australian Gold Botanical Mineral Lotion and Tinted Face Lotion are available on Amazon:

- https://www.amazon.c...B01M6UMXLZ?th=1

- https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B01M8G39OW

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I have friends who wear the sun sleeves and then smoke a pack of,cigarettes. I’m usually left speechless...

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I have friends who wear the sun sleeves and then smoke a pack of,cigarettes. I’m usually left speechless...

Here's the kicker - did they order diet coke for lunch?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Never considered sleeves before, need to look into this.

As someone who has had 4 procedures to remove skin carcinomas, I'm extremely paranoid about being out in the sun during my round.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

I live in AZ. For the last 5 years or so I always use sleeves, a bucket hat, zinc or ti oxide sunscreen on my nose/face/neck, cheap 30 spf sunscreen on my legs. And I reapply sunscreen at the turn. I still got squamous on my nose. Had it cut out last year; luckily got it in one scoop.

I like the Pearl Izumi sleeves. The top band has rubber strips and they stay up great. I also use these sleeves when I mountain bike. They stay put. I'm 5' 10" 160 lbs and the medium fit me well.

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Elite-Sun-Sleeves/dp/B00LXUN8NW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511982266&sr=8-1&keywords=pearl%2Bizumi%2Bsun%2Bsleeves&th=1

...not so fast my friends! --> https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/727256/Australian_Gold_Botanical_Sunscreen_Mineral_Lotion%2C_SPF_50/#.WwevoqQvxhE

If you want the least toxic sunscreen, then you'll have to look elsewhere -- something like Thinksport is a great option https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3JQO9Y/

...not so fast my friends! --> https://www.ewg.org/...0/#.WwevoqQvxhE

If you want the least toxic sunscreen, then you'll have to look elsewhere -- something like Thinksport is a great option https://www.amazon.c...uct/B00K3JQO9Y/

Least toxic was never the claim. Thinksport works well. I have used it too.

I use the Sensitive Blue Lizard formula as I have sensitive skin (I get a really bad burning sensation when using most sunscreens... blue lizard does not do this to me) and it's paraben free and fragrance free. Blue Lizard works wonders. Its the last thing I do before I get in the car to drive to the course. I then use a Neutrogena spray somewhere around hole 9. Depends on sun intensity and how much sweating I have already done. May reapply on hole 5 or 6 and again on the back or wait will 9 or 10.

When the sun starts getting really intense here in the Desert I also use SARX solar sleeves. That def. helps. I should use them every round, but, well, I don't.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

...not so fast my friends! --> https://www.ewg.org/...0/#.WwevoqQvxhE

If you want the least toxic sunscreen, then you'll have to look elsewhere -- something like Thinksport is a great option https://www.amazon.c...uct/B00K3JQO9Y/

Least toxic was never the claim. Thinksport works well. I have used it too.

There's been a lot of good information shared in this thread. Thanks everyone - me and my pale skin appreciate it :)

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I use the Sensitive Blue Lizard formula as I have sensitive skin (I get a really bad burning sensation when using most sunscreens... blue lizard does not do this to me) and it's paraben free and fragrance free. Blue Lizard works wonders. Its the last thing I do before I get in the car to drive to the course. I then use a Neutrogena spray somewhere around hole 9. Depends on sun intensity and how much sweating I have already done. May reapply on hole 5 or 6 and again on the back or wait will 9 or 10.

When the sun starts getting really intense here in the Desert I also use SARX solar sleeves. That def. helps. I should use them every round, but, well, I don't.

Sensitive Blue Lizard is great; I don't have sensitive skin, but I still use it.

And it's nice that it's readily available in local stores. If I unexpectedly have run out before a round, can easily grab some before heading to the course.

I use Hanes Cool Dri long sleeve, crewneck undershirts SPF 50. I think I got them at Walmart. They do a good job of keeping me cool and blocking the sun on the arms and in the V of my shirt. You can get a surprising amount of sun there. My nephew, who fishes, uses a balaclava as well as the fishing sun shirts. The balaclava might be a little distracting.

Hats are all opaque, so get what you like with a brim. Saw Ben Crane covered up pretty well in a big hat at the Fort Worth Invitational. Who knew he was so sensible.

I use Hanes Cool Dri long sleeve, crewneck undershirts SPF 50. I think I got them at Walmart. They do a good job of keeping me cool and blocking the sun on the arms and in the V of my shirt. You can get a surprising amount of sun there. My nephew, who fishes, uses a balaclava as well as the fishing sun shirts. The balaclava might be a little distracting.

Hats are all opaque, so get what you like with a brim. Saw Ben Crane covered up pretty well in a big hat at the Fort Worth Invitational. Who knew he was so sensible.

This thread has has a lot of talk about shirts (or undershirts) with SPF protection. So my Travis Mathews shirts aren't enough? I don't put sunblock on my shoulders because I always figured the shirt was all I needed.

Please tell me if I'm being foolish.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

This thread has has a lot of talk about shirts (or undershirts) with SPF protection. So my Travis Mathews shirts aren't enough? I don't put sunblock on my shoulders because I always figured the shirt was all I needed.

Please tell me if I'm being foolish.

No, I think the SPF rating on shirts and sleeves measure the effectiveness of the shirt itself to block the sun.

I wear solar sleeves and like doing so. I also use Blue Lizard on necks face and legs

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

As a melanoma survivor I try to be very cautious of my sun exposure. The last 3 years I have been using Skin suncreen with good results and wearing pants every time even during summer. I have a couple of light pull overs I have been using to cover my arms but will definitely look into buying some sleeves. I admit that I try to only play golf early in the day during the summer and try to play more during the cooler months of the year.

When fishing I always use a orvis neck gaiter, tilley hat, and long sleeved orvis fishing shirt to cover my arms.

I've seen different suggestions for hats that are interesting, but I am curious if anyone out there wears a high quality straw hat, and how long they look good for. Right now I use a wide brimmed titlest bucket hat, but a high quality straw hat looks good IMO. In the 1990's, to early 2000's there seemed to be a lot of straw hats worn and for sale. Now there are few of them around.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've seen different suggestions for hats that are interesting, but I am curious if anyone out there wears a high quality straw hat, and how long they look good for. Right now I use a wide brimmed titlest bucket hat, but a high quality straw hat looks good IMO. In the 1990's, to early 2000's there seemed to be a lot of straw hats worn and for sale. Now there are few of them around.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I wear a wide brimmed straw hat similar to the one David Leadbetter wears. They are manufactured by Ahead or American Dry Goods. You can get rough a year out of one. The black band starts to fade due to the exposure to the sun. When I replace the hat, I use the previous one in the early spring and late fall, and when there's a chance for rain. Basically, it becomes my scrub hat.

Yeah, finding them can be a bit of a challenge. I picked one up on the RTJ Trail this past March, and another one last year at Avaria GC. It seems only a small percentage of pro shops carry them, so if I see one I'll usually buy it. They generally run $29 - $49.

Straw-Golf-Hats.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Nike or generic (Amazon) solar sleeves with ice water poured over the forearms periodically and a bucket hat. Nice to see more suggestions, I'll have to look out for some of these other items.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8