2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

I played a round in very windy conditions with the red today. It held up fairly well but I think the black holes up slightly better in the wind. They are both great balls and will be available in Canada on the 18th. Just in time cause I only have 4 blacks and 5 reds left.

None of them guys I played with today had heard of Snell before. I told them the story and gave them a sleeve of the original MTB. Hopefully they become customers too.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Callaway Paradym

5 wood: TaylorMade Stealth+

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 4-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Odyssey AI-ONE 7S

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

MY value pack of the MTB Black arrived today with a hand written "thank you" from Dean. Well done, sir.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

The mailman brought my Reds today! Im teeing off with them at 8:40 tomorrow morning! I'll be at the club pitching and putting no later than 7!

First Thoughts after receiving them today.

I dont know if anyone else has ever mentioned this or not, so let me tell ya.

1. Packaging. The pics don't do the packaging justice. Not in the least. The "Snell Golf" on the top and sides of top cover is embossed gold lettering. The box does not feel like a regular box of balls made of cheap material. The best way I can describe the texture or feel is sort of velvety, almost elegant, like it's from a nice boutique. I am extremely impressed with the packing of this golf ball.

2. So I bounced the ball off the face of my 6i a few times. It has a little bit higher pitch than does my chrome soft, as I expected and others have said. However its not a clicky as a few other random balls I have laying around.

3. When bouncing it off my 6i, it doesnt spring off quite as quickly as the Chrome Soft.

4. Next, i held the Red and Chrome soft at shoulder height and dropped them onto my garage floor. The chrome soft bounced slightly higher, maybe 6 inches, than did the Red. I think this might signify the compression of the CS is a bit lower than the Red? I dont know, but Im not worried about it. Maybe applicable to #3 also... ?

5. Brightness of the cover is Very white. Way whiter than the ProV and a bit whiter than the chrome soft. Personally, I like a very white ball. It will probably be easier to find.

6. I put this at number 6, because i forgot to put it toward the top where it should have been. I got a Thank You note from Dean too. I just might frame it!

Can Not Wait to get on the course with these balls tomorrow.

EDIT: I played 36 holes yesterday. The Snell Red is awesome! And I I played all 36 with the same ball.

I only hit a couple of trees and no cart paths, but there wasnt a scuff, scratch, or any other damage to the ball at all. It still looked new at the end of the day.

Pitches and chips produced a lot of spin and iron shots into the green did too.

If anything, the ball might be a bit longer off the tee than the chrome soft. It seems it might be a little lower spinning, and rolls out an additional few yards after landing. At least thats my perception.

It roll well off the putter too. I love how it feels and rolls.

I gave one to my playing partner, and he is incredibly impressed with it too.

This is a GREAT golf ball.

[media=]

[/media]

I can totally see it. Lol.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Ok so it's been around a month or so since I reviewed the Snell MTB Black. In my review I mentioned I was a current Pro V1 model user after a ball fitting at Manchester Lane last summer thanks to WRX and was completely content and very happy with that ball, and didn't think I'd find a more consistent ball. So with that thought I figured I'd like the MTB Black and actually didn't even consider trying the MTB Red until yesterday. I did noticed the Black did spin less and maybe ran out just a touch more than the Pro V1 (just a bit more than I was planning vs Pro V1 on the green).

So like I said I tried the Red yesterday and today. It really did shock me because I thought the Black would be better suited for me being a higher spin player and the added spin from the Red would be too much. Well I was wrong. The Red "for me" was every bit as long with Driver, 3 wood and hybrids as the Pro V1 (possibly longer at some times) and the added spin with the short irons was great, which was what made me nervous and hesitant to try it initially it'd be possibly punishing and having that ball that stalls out at its peak height but it never happened. It did spin well but not a sacrificing spin at all (which what I was a afraid of. But the softer partial swing is where I found it really shined, 100-30 yards. Last hole today I had a pretty stiff breeze on a 55 yard shot. I tried to hit low flight 58* into the green and it took a tiny hop and stopped where it landed on that 2nd bounce and that shocked me because even the current Pro V1 would not stop that quick. I thought the 160-100 yard would possibly spin to much but again it didn't over spin but spun plenty (if that makes sense?).

Last thing I just had a 2 day stroke event on Thu and Fri and played my Pro V1 because I'm used to it and haven't had enough time with MTB balls to use it in the tourny. I didn't lose a ball but went through a sleeve each day do to it becoming chewed up after 5-6 holes do to fresh wedge grooves. The Red when hitting those same shots especially like the last of today (low 58* high spinner) didn't chew the cover at all, which would of with the Pro V1. So that alone was impressive, the cover is quite durable.

So I thought I was possibly sold on the Black but a 6 dozen Red order may be happening in the future.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

In wanted to share this picture. It is of a mtb red after my drive on a 365 yard par 4.

Yes a bit of a brag. Deal.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Ok so it's been around a month or so since I reviewed the Snell MTB Black. In my review I mentioned I was a current Pro V1 model user after a ball fitting at Manchester Lane last summer thanks to WRX and was completely content and very happy with that ball, and didn't think I'd find a more consistent ball. So with that thought I figured I'd like the MTB Black and actually didn't even consider trying the MTB Red until yesterday. I did noticed the Black did spin less and maybe ran out just a touch more than the Pro V1 (just a bit more than I was planning vs Pro V1 on the green).

So like I said I tried the Red yesterday and today. It really did shock me because I thought the Black would be better suited for me being a higher spin player and the added spin from the Red would be too much. Well I was wrong. The Red "for me" was every bit as long with Driver, 3 wood and hybrids as the Pro V1 (possibly longer at some times) and the added spin with the short irons was great, which was what made me nervous and hesitant to try it initially it'd be possibly punishing and having that ball that stalls out at its peak height but it never happened. It did spin well but not a sacrificing spin at all (which what I was a afraid of. But the softer partial swing is where I found it really shined, 100-30 yards. Last hole today I had a pretty stiff breeze on a 55 yard shot. I tried to hit low flight 58* into the green and it took a tiny hop and stopped where it landed on that 2nd bounce and that shocked me because even the current Pro V1 would not stop that quick. I thought the 160-100 yard would possibly spin to much but again it didn't over spin but spun plenty (if that makes sense?).

Last thing I just had a 2 day stroke event on Thu and Fri and played my Pro V1 because I'm used to it and haven't had enough time with MTB balls to use it in the tourny. I didn't lose a ball but went through a sleeve each day do to it becoming chewed up after 5-6 holes do to fresh wedge grooves. The Red when hitting those same shots especially like the last of today (low 58* high spinner) didn't chew the cover at all, which would of with the Pro V1. So that alone was impressive, the cover is quite durable.

So I thought I was possibly sold on the Black but a 6 dozen Red order may be happening in the future.

Well ordered 2 dozen reds tonight. Again never thought I'd fit into the red, so super glad I did the trial pack 1st.

Probably be ordering more in the future too.

Dean I better see a hand written letter lol. Just kidding. Never thought I'd find a ball better than the current Pro V1, especially at 40% the cost. I like when people see my ball in the fairway and say "Snell? WTF is that?" Kinda reminds me of people saying "WTF is Scratch Golf?", nothing better than rep'in small brands outside the normal "Big OEM's" with a product that can standup to any those big OEM's products.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Well ordered 2 dozen reds tonight. Again never thought I'd fit into the red, so super glad I did the trial pack 1st.

Probably be ordering more in the future too.

Dean I better see a hand written letter lol. Just kidding. Never thought I'd find a ball better than the current Pro V1, especially at 40% the cost. I like when people see my ball in the fairway and say "Snell? WTF is that?" Kinda reminds me of people saying "WTF is Scratch Golf?", nothing better than rep'in small brands outside the normal "Big OEM's" with a product that can standup to any those big OEM's products.

haha.. you will...

I must be in the minority on here when it comes to the Red vs Black. I fully expected to prefer the Red, I am a little under 100mph with the driver and not a high spin player at all. So the added spin of the Red on irons seemed like something I could really use. But as Dean has advised I tried to test both balls from the short game back, not the other way around. To my surprise, for me the clear preference was the Black. I enjoyed the original MTB, so maybe liking the Black should not have been a big surprise. As has been mentioned on here a 100 times I like supporting a small business. That I don't have to sacrifice performance and actually save money, that sure doesn't hurt.

I like when people see my ball in the fairway and say "Snell? WTF is that?" Kinda reminds me of people saying "WTF is Scratch Golf?", nothing better than rep'in small brands outside the normal "Big OEM's" with a product that can standup to any those big OEM's products.

I am also playing (exclusively) and promoting the Snell ball in both senior leagues I play in, but I have yet to see another player using a Snell. They all seem to use lesser Titleists, Callaways or the cheapest ball they can buy/find. Of course most of the seniors I play with would never order anything online, so they're barely aware of Snell if at all. I had a guy a few weeks ago look at my ball and ask 'are you playing a Shell?'

And I've yet to see another player with an Evnroll putter so far, though I love mine. Last year the closest PGA Superstore had all the Evnroll models all in several lengths, this year they have a random half dozen...

I think it's ridiculous how endorsements-ads-sponsorships provide market share, but it's still a fact so far...

I like when people see my ball in the fairway and say "Snell? WTF is that?" Kinda reminds me of people saying "WTF is Scratch Golf?", nothing better than rep'in small brands outside the normal "Big OEM's" with a product that can standup to any those big OEM's products.

I am also playing (exclusively) and promoting the Snell ball in both senior leagues I play in, but I have yet to see another player using a Snell. They all seem to use lesser Titleists, Callaways or the cheapest ball they can buy/find. Of course most of the seniors I play with would never order anything online, so they're barely aware of Snell if at all. I had a guy a few weeks ago look at my ball and ask 'are you playing a Shell?'

And I've yet to see another player with an Evnroll putter so far, though I love mine. Last year the closest PGA Superstore had all the Evnroll models all in several lengths, this year they have a random half dozen...

I think it's ridiculous how endorsements-ads-sponsorships provide market share, but it's still a fact so far...

By looking at your signature, you are nothing but "senior."

What a marketing can do. It creates deep-rooted habit/preference; It is very hard to break one's habit/preference like many stuck on good ol' route going home. I have been introducing Snell balls to countless people but I can only count few who changed their hearts.

What a marketing can do. It creates deep-rooted habit/preference; It is very hard to break one's habit/preference like many stuck on good ol' route going home. I have been introducing Snell balls to countless people but I can only count few who changed their hearts.

True, as much as Snell sounds great and it is the same cost for a lesser ball, like the Velocity or E6 Soft, when I am ready to buy, I'd rather pick up balls in the local shopping center at Dicks, Golf Galaxy or Academy Sports, the same way I always have for the last 25+ years.

True, as much as Snell sounds great and it is the same cost for a lesser ball, like the Velocity or E6 Soft, when I am ready to buy, I'd rather pick up balls in the local shopping center at Dicks, Golf Galaxy or Academy Sports, the same way I always have for the last 25+ years.

For me, accessibility is not an issue because I buy 6 dzn's at a time. You should consider ordering 6 dozens to save money, time and gas to big name retail shops. Once you go Snell, you don't go back.

For me, accessibility is not an issue because I buy 6 dzn's at a time. You should consider ordering 6 dozens to save money, time and gas to big name retail shops. Once you go Snell, you don't go back.

Sure. But, I don't play as often as some WRX'ers. Maybe, when I retire.

I still have over a dozen of each left (along with 4 dozen new TM balls) but I've found myself recently switching back to Srixons. Just because I have a few yellow ones left. The visibility is so much better for me.

I need to get some yellow reds! Hope they stock those at Scheels. Cause I'm like Tanner25, a creature of habit, I want to walk in the store and pick them up when I need them, a dozen at a time. Old habits die hard. .

Order two dozen from the website. Once you use the first dozen simply order another dozen or two. They'll arrive before you finish the second dozen.

That way you always have them on hand. Shipping is free and you don't have to spend time going to the sporting goods store. Problem solved! :derisive:

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Really enjoy the MTB Black. Just a solid ball and I've found my distance off of the tee has increased a good 10+ yards compared to the Kirkland I've been using, which obviously isn't too shabby. Feel is a little more firm...but I really enjoy it. After my 10 dozen kirkland's are gone I'll definitely be using the MTB Black....especially at such a great price.

Order two dozen from the website. Once you use the first dozen simply order another dozen or two. They'll arrive before you finish the second dozen.

That way you always have them on hand. Shipping is free and you don't have to spend time going to the sporting goods store. Problem solved! :derisive:

Precisely!

i have 4 dozen brand new ksig 4 pieces that i would gladly trade straight up for 2 dozen reds.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X