Thoughts on why people are walking away from the game...

When is the last time you had to buy a new baseball bat or glove?

What about a new football?

Maybe you need a new tennis racket?

How about a racketball racket?

You must need a better basketball this year?

NO? What?!?!?!

How do you expect the sports equipment manufacturers to survive? OMG...!!!

All I see is greed from the big manufacturers of this game. Many would say it's back lash from the tiger era...I say it's human nature unchecked. I pray bifurcation solves this problem...but I know it won't. Capitalism is kind of a monster when left to it's own devices...but I guess regulation is kind of a joke too. Hmmmm....

I get so confused as to why golf manufacturers think they need to put out new clubs and balls every year? Seems like a lot of effort for no reason other than profit. Kind of silly IMHO...bet they could be doing better things with their time and capital.

People are sick of spending $600 on a driver that doesn't work. $1000+ for irons that aren't fit right for them. Damn near $200 a wedge now?!?!?!?!

Mind blowing...

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money is in your pocket until you fork it over.

I remembered in the 70's and the 80's a set of nice irons will run between $600- $700, probably equivalent to $1,500 - $1,800 in today's money. A set of special commemorative irons will be $1,200 which is close to $2,800 today's money. But back then, the "new" model comes out every other year if not longer period between the new and the last model. Back then, I would get a new set of irons every several years, being single without responsibility but for yourself is freedom to do whatever pleased the number one, me. Although some weeks I had to live on sandwiches, but I had the shinning golf clubs in the bag.

It is an expensive game from day one, a pass time for the elite class. The difference in the equipment world these days is the frequency of pumping out the "new and improved " golf clubs annually or multiple times each year to saturate the market and kill off the competitors . In this process, the industry might have seen a brief period of booming, but eventually was the cause of the down fall for many.

The game takes time, takes money........ it was not meant to be everyone's hobby. Like my father said long time ago, this great game is a young man's vice, since it'll take away a big portion of the productive years and leaves nothing but memory. Hate to see someone in their old age has nothing to show but a stack of score cards.

I'm all for growing the game because I, love this stupid game for decades, however, I also realized this will never be a household pass time. What the industry trending in the last decade or two was trying to make this game as popular as tennis or cycling...... it'll never happen because of the economic reason and also the matter of the fact that the game was for the elite to kill off their bore because they do not need to clock in 9-5.

I don't think that is the cause. Golf has always been expensive. Capitalism has always been greedy, that is how we get innovation. In order for capitalism or high costs to be the cause of golf's decline, you would need to say how it has changed in the last few decades. Equipment is definitely better today than 30 years ago. Whether it is worth the cost is a calculation made on the individual level.

I think the cause of the decline in rounds come down to tow relatively simple factors (1) Young people with money do not live in places where it is easy to golf. Dreaded millenials live in downtown areas with lower car ownership rates and haven't moved to the suburbs as quickly as previous generations. It's rarely convenient to golf if you live downtown in a major metro. (2) The alternatives to golf are way better today than 30 years ago. It may not be your cup of tea, but have you seen how good modern video games are? It can be completely enthralling to get lost in a digital world and that takes time from golf.

Golf is a leisure activity that takes time. It will always have to justify itself against newer activities. I hope the lure of wide open fairways and the challenge of the game are enough to keep people coming back, but I can see why some have chosen other paths in the modern world.

5 hour rounds.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

So did you buy something off the shelf that didn't work for you because you saw it work for someone else? Or did you spend $1.000 on a set of irons that weren't fit for you personally instead of being fit by a professional fitter, so they weren't fit right for you? Not picking on you really, but if the things you listed above apply to you, then I can see why you would be frustrated. If your personal equipment, driver and irons were fit for you by a professional then you have your answer as to why.

Now it's how can people be better educated as to how not to spend money until they understand that golf equipment investments are best done for them by someone who knows what they are doing and do it for them. No one would buy a great looking expensive pair of street shoes off the rack because they work for someone else, and when they don't fit and work for them, say 'the shoe manufacturer is greedy and I'm not going to wear shoes any more'.

Engineers of these companies make continual improvements of the product design all the time. That transfers into the product They make their products out of better materials. The companies compete with each other. It's a free market. So in order to stay in business, yes it is important to continue to offer improved product. No one has to purchase it, but they do. The knowledgeable golfers will do research about what is available instead of buying just what a successful pro or buddy has, go physically try some, then make a choice and get fitted for the clubs.

The greedy profit you mentioned isn't exactly that, companies have to reinvest in themselves, so other than the wild parties it may seem like they hold each time a $600 driver is sold, they use much of their profit toward their long term goals of engineering and equipment, material and employee investments. Plus they have to continue to operate. Overhead-facilities, payrolls (you get raises right? insurance including rising employee healthcare, these are just some of the challenges. So these and any other company that makes a product is trying to make the best high quality product, stay afloat and continue to improve.

That's just my 2 cents worth. When it comes to golf equipment, the purchaser has the responsibility to best get fitted for the product so that the company that put so much into it doesn't take a hit for being 'greedy' and 'not having the need to put out new equipment every year'...

You could merge this with the length of rounds thread I feel its one in the same. People have less and less time to play and being out there for 5+ hours is hard to set aside when being really busy.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

No way is equipment cost keeping people away. More equipment than ever is available at bargain prices. No one needs to buy the newest, unless that's what you want.

Also if you really want bargains the used market is even better and available via more sales channels than ever.

As for greens fees, outside of big metros, most areas of the USA greens fees arent bad. In WNY you can walk 18 on decent courses for $25-$40... Thats less than $10/hour for entertainment.

My driver is 7 years old, and my irons are 4 years old. I don't buy equipment often, and it is because I don't see a great difference in the newer gear. I probably won't change until I have to switch to regular shafts, and since I will be 64 in August, that might be sooner than later. But, I tend to get my money's worth with equipment.

Equipment companies are in the business of making money, not helping you. They aren't charities. Ford and Toyota aren't ruining the auto industry because they come out with a new car every year and depreciate the old ones. Not everyone has to like golf, most people probably wouldn't play if clubs and courses were free.

My driver is 7 years old, and my irons are 4 years old. I don't buy equipment often, and it is because I don't see a great difference in the newer gear. I probably won't change until I have to switch to regular shafts, and since I will be 64 in August, that might be sooner than later. But, I tend to get my money's worth with equipment.

I just scooped a 12 yr old Cleveland launcher for $60 in excellent condition. I can still hit it plenty far.

I help a friend at the executive 9-hole course he's leasing. He is a golfer at his core, and wants to put out a decent golfing experience. Yet, the place is almost always empty. While it has a bit of a "checkered past" I feel my friend has done a good job of overcoming some of that. It's kept in good condition, and thanks to our late winter and spring rains, is beautiful. Yet, so far this year, the range and banquet business (the clubhouse is nice and has a great niche small banquet business for birthday parties and wedding showers) is far outpacing the course revenues.

Based on the above, I think part of the issue is the golf industry (manufacturers AND golf course owners) have marketed the sport to the point where the common person has been "brainwashed" into thinking the only "real" golf experience REQUIRES the latest $400 driver, $40 per dozen golf balls, AND $100 greens fees on an 18-hole championship course. I believe a large segment of the population really believes that absent any or all of the above, they aren't going to golf. If they feel the need to swing a club, they will go to TopGolf or play miniature golf or even just beat balls at the range.

Money is in your pocket until you fork it over.

I remembered in the 70's and the 80's a set of nice irons will run between $600- $700, probably equivalent to $1,500 - $1,800 in today's money. A set of special commemorative irons will be $1,200 which is close to $2,800 today's money. But back then, the "new" model comes out every other year if not longer period between the new and the last model. Back then, I would get a new set of irons every several years, being single without responsibility but for yourself is freedom to do whatever pleased the number one, me. Although some weeks I had to live on sandwiches, but I had the shinning golf clubs in the bag.

It is an expensive game from day one, a pass time for the elite class. The difference in the equipment world these days is the frequency of pumping out the "new and improved " golf clubs annually or multiple times each year to saturate the market and kill off the competitors . In this process, the industry might have seen a brief period of booming, but eventually was the cause of the down fall for many.

The game takes time, takes money........ it was not meant to be everyone's hobby. Like my father said long time ago, this great game is a young man's vice, since it'll take away a big portion of the productive years and leaves nothing but memory. Hate to see someone in their old age has nothing to show but a stack of score cards.

I'm all for growing the game because I, love this stupid game for decades, however, I also realized this will never be a household pass time. What the industry trending in the last decade or two was trying to make this game as popular as tennis or cycling...... it'll never happen because of the economic reason and also the matter of the fact that the game was for the elite to kill off their bore because they do not need to clock in 9-5.

My friend, it ain't the money; not even close. IMO, it's time, pure and simple. 2 working parents are the norm nowadays, too many kids, too may things pulling time away from the family unit (or even single people for that matter).

Too few people can spare the 4-7 hours needed to play a round of golf.

Check out below, retail prices from the mid 70's. Equivalent clubs today are about (only) twice the price and, I dare say, a whole lot better.

A walking round of golf at a NYC Muni - $16. Today I can play at a public resort(?) course for $31 WITH a cart at 11 AM, IN season, $42. Prime time add about $10.

Golf is considerably "cheaper" now than it was 30 years ago.

http://archive.lib.m...1975nov2-10.pdf

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

For a number of years post 2008 (biggest recession in 100 years) money was probably part of the problem. I see evidence that people have money to spend on leisure activities in the past few years though. We have 3 marinas in town, and they can't bring boats to their lots fast enough to keep up with demand- minimum price is probably $30,000. Local restaurants are packed.

There may well be people who did not start golfing or gave it up due to money for many years after 2008 though.

If you are in the 20-40 age group and you might have been a good candidate to take up golf during the years the economy was bad, will you go back and take it up now?

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

For $500, I could put together a bag of used gear worthy of mention in MtlJeff's "Judging Players by their Bags" thread. That is just a little bit more than 3 new Vokeys.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

My friend, it ain't the money; not even close. IMO, it's time, pure and simple.

Nailed it.

I love golf, but I love the rest of my life too. The time sacrifice makes it tough for me justify 1 range session and 1 round per week.

TSi2 | D, 4W, 4H | TENSEI AV RAW White

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

SM8 | 52.12F, 58.12D | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

5 hour rounds.

The thing with 5-hour rounds is not necessarily that people don't have that much time to spend in their day, it makes golf very unenjoyable to be waiting over a shot all the time. Is 1/2 - 1 hour a make or break length of time? Not necessarily, but waiting 5-10 minutes every shot gets old real quick. My round yesterday was 4:45 long, but I was in a amicable 4some and the waits were tolerable.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

It's all of those, and more. First, we've been marketed to death by these companies bragging distance gains when all they've done is jacked the lofts. Secondly, more than ANY other individual sport, more time spent doesn't mean improvement. Golf is HARD! Third, the cost to play a decent course has gone up significantly, much less join a club. I also know several private clubs that HAD to open up the doors to semi-private to stay afloat. I've been saying for years that golf is in a decline, but most, especially on here, don't agree. If you go to a public course on the weekend, and there aren't a few groups waiting to tee off at 10 AM, they aren't doing as well as you think they are....

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

How do we get more people to quit? Darn courses are too crowded, and this may help with the slow pace of play. Or not.

(I'll show myself out... ;) )

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

The golf industry is suffering from lack of interest due to over-promising and under-delivering..ridiculous rules, lack of course management by marshall's, and idiotic marketing..

I think the shaft makers have created a BS cottage industry that only serves to complicate the game...they've created SO many meaningless variations that a whole new cottage industry of "fitters" has erupted, adding more cost. I posted Crossfields latest video that showed a shorter ladies shafted driver performed equally to an X stiff men's length driver. Most of the industry is built on BS. The pro's don't play the clubs that are sold...or the balls...and i bet many play regular shafts...but that would be "boring" to the average golfer who follows their Golf God each weekend. Pro's now play courses that are nearing 8,000 yards, while the average Joe should be playing <6,000 yard courses...based on shot distances...just to stay "even" to the pro's distances.

TM rolls out new clubs every month....I'm waiting for the M49's to roll out in time for Christmas. Then there's Trackman...OHH how people gravitate to the one out of 100 good shots at PGASS, only to find playing on the course is a whole different animal. Then there's the 27* 7 irons. And the non-stop talk about which golf ball to use. And certain golf forum sites who do nothing but promote new stuff...get discussions going, when in reality most of the "rah rah" posts are done by folks paid to promote the new stuff.

Other than that, I'm good. The ONLY golf company I follow is Hogan. No BS...direct sell to the consumer, low prices, and great trade-in values. I can't support the other OEMs anymore. Check them out for yourself. This is hopefully the wave of the future.

https://benhogangolf.com/

People leave because of time and cost. Usually more often than not it's time.

People buying new clubs every year aren't the ones quitting

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

5 hour rounds.

The thing with 5-hour rounds is not necessarily that people don't have that much time to spend in their day, it makes golf very unenjoyable to be waiting over a shot all the time. Is 1/2 - 1 hour a make or break length of time? Not necessarily, but waiting 5-10 minutes every shot gets old real quick. My round yesterday was 4:45 long, but I was in a amicable 4some and the waits were tolerable.

If you have young kids at home the difference between 3:30 and 5:00 does make a big difference, at least to me and Mrs Jeff

I have a 5 week old right now. Afternoon rounds and tournaments are not happening this season entirely due to length of rounds

Almost everyone I know who has quit golf it has been due to time commitment after having kids. Its almost 100 percent of cases at least for me

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I disagree with the notion that people are playing less golf due to the cost of golf equipment. Unless you use extra stiff shafts or are left handed you can get new or barely used clubs on ebay for a steal. I bought my Ping Anser forged irons for 650.00 which were retailing for approx 1,200. The seller maybe played with them twice and didn't like them so I scooped them up at half price. I play Taylormade TP5 balls and I buy them brand new on ebay for around 35.00 a dozen including shipping. I could by them used for a lot less if I wanted.

I play golf a lot of golf as a single with strangers and I find that I am not paired up with many people under 40. Playing golf on a regular basis is expensive and you are only going to get better if you play more. A lot of these kids are not making good money once they leave college and they owe a lot in student loans. They are also not big on long attention spans. If all they can afford is playing in the afternoon then they are looking at 5 hour + rounds and they become disinterested. Golf is also hard and many of the millenials are not big on difficult challenges that take time to get better at. Golf will never be about instant gratification.

I have been playing golf regularly for 25 years and I am far and away playing the best golf of my life now at 45 years old. If only 25 year old me only knew what I know now about swinging easier, handling adversity, and thinking my way around the course. It takes time to get better at this game and a lot of younger people just do not want to put in the time or cannot afford to.

I disagree with the notion that people are playing less golf due to the cost of golf equipment. Unless you use extra stiff shafts or are left handed you can get new or barely used clubs on ebay for a steal. I bought my Ping Anser forged irons for 650.00 which were retailing for approx 1,200. The seller maybe played with them twice and didn't like them so I scooped them up at half price. I play Taylormade TP5 balls and I buy them brand new on ebay for around 35.00 a dozen including shipping. I could by them used for a lot less if I wanted.

I play golf a lot of golf as a single with strangers and I find that I am not paired up with many people under 40. Playing golf on a regular basis is expensive and you are only going to get better if you play more. A lot of these kids are not making good money once they leave college and they owe a lot in student loans. They are also not big on long attention spans. If all they can afford is playing in the afternoon then they are looking at 5 hour + rounds and they become disinterested. Golf is also hard and many of the millenials are not big on difficult challenges that take time to get better at. Golf will never be about instant gratification.

I have been playing golf regularly for 25 years and I am far and away playing the best golf of my life now at 45 years old. If only 25 year old me only knew what I know now about swinging easier, handling adversity, and thinking my way around the course. It takes time to get better at this game and a lot of younger people just do not want to put in the time or cannot afford to.

I was just thinking what you stated. Most golfers are older. On forums I find out most of the guys are in their 50's or 60's. No problem, but it just goes to show the younger crowd, as you stated, aren't participating. Golf does take a LOT of work, and a two-year run of improvement can evaporate in 2 weeks. My wife tells me to focus on the piano and forget golf...she says I'd be far better at piano than golf after all these years!

People walking away from the game has nothing to do with the price of equipment. If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. I buy all of my equipment used, right here, or from one of the many used manufacturer sites, and occasionally eBay.

Some people walk away because they are quitters.

Some people walk away because they play horrible golf and never get better.

Some people walk away because their wife won’t let them go out and play.

Etc...etc...etc....

The rest of us continue to play and get tremendous joy out of the challenge of the game and as far as the price of equipment, buy whatever makes you happy.

You're a veteran like me...we know clubs all to well, and how to avoid over-paying. But new folks aren't armed with information. They go into a store and see irons for $999, $1299, $1699, (PXG) $2200, then a "custom" fitting, and another $1000 or so for driver, 3W, and hybrids. Then a bag..glove, balls, tees, clothes. And then there's the green fees.

You're a veteran like me...we know clubs all to well, and how to avoid over-paying. But new folks aren't armed with information. They go into a store and see irons for $999, $1299, $1699, (PXG) $2200, then a "custom" fitting, and another $1000 or so for driver, 3W, and hybrids. Then a bag..glove, balls, tees, clothes. And then there's the green fees.

I will also say that I never gave into the hype of new clubs and all the B.S. we hear on the tv commercials. I am a creature of habit and if I like a club it generally stays in the bag for a long time. My Taylor Made rescues are the original ones from 2004 although I will admit a change will be needed sooner than later haha. My Cleveland wedges are the CG 10's which came out a long time ago. My Ping irons and my Scotty putter are 6 years old both bought for half price on ebay. The only club I have under 6 years old is my driver which in 1 year old, but before that I had a Cobra Speed Driver that I had for 8-9 years old that broke. I bought that Cobra driver slightly used on ebay for 150 bucks.

I will also say taking lessons from a good teacher who will give you good swing habits can pay dividends for a long long time. People would spend far less on clubs if they spent more money on lessons and understood their own swing. Their scores would improve and their mishits would not be as bad so there would be no b.s. psychological need for a new club that will make your problems go away.

You and I are the same person but I'm 10 years younger than you. I only play by myself at the crack of dawn or late evening. I refuse to wait to hit a shot. Recently the courses around me have been getting busy earlier or the shop will let people off the back 9 before I get there.... I leave. I refuse to wait to play as a single. My time is way more valuable than money and I think its the same for most. It will not shock me if I up and quit sooner than later

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7