side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

Ok, I think I'm willing to commit:

The Bobby Grace F-22 is the best of the bunch. Super easy to line up, beautifully balanced, and lovely to gaze upon, too.

I think this will be the last putter I ever buy. Until the next one...

The "super easy to line up" was big for me. Also the insert. I've noticed a lot fewer putts coming up short - and I believe its do to my slightly off center hits not losing any distance.

It's my last putter too.....until another toy comes along.....lol.....

Played my third round with the F22 yesterday, and had 29 putts on pretty quick Champion Bermuda. Never came close to three putting, and felt absurdly confident on three and four footers. It's a great putter; sort of the best of the JuanPutt and the DF rolled into one. Money well spent, at least for me.

Ok, I think I'm willing to commit:

The Bobby Grace F-22 is the best of the bunch. Super easy to line up, beautifully balanced, and lovely to gaze upon, too.

I think this will be the last putter I ever buy. Until the next one...

The "super easy to line up" was big for me. Also the insert. I've noticed a lot fewer putts coming up short - and I believe its do to my slightly off center hits not losing any distance.

It's my last putter too.....until another toy comes along.....lol.....

Played my third round with the F22 yesterday, and had 29 putts on pretty quick Champion Bermuda. Never came close to three putting, and felt absurdly confident on three and four footers. It's a great putter; sort of the best of the JuanPutt and the DF rolled into one. Money well spent, at least for me.

I thought you’d like it. But you can never be sure as look and feel are such personal things.

And I still think a "sidesaddle" clinic/get together down your way would be cool.

Mine, in chronological order:

GP putter

JuanPutt

Bobby Grace LFI, version 1

Bobby Grace LFI, version 2

STX

Directed Force

Bobby Grace F-22

A couple of very defensive thoughts about how I came to own 7 of these things: First of all, it ain't like you can go into Golf Galaxy and try the face on putters; you either buy one direct, or you take a pass.

So I got the GP first simply because it was actually sold retail in the pro shop at Duke, and I happened to be in Durham for a few days; I don't think I would have bought it at all if I had tried any of the others first because it's just too small and too light for me.

Which led to the JuanPutt, which is bigger and heavier.

The STX I got really cheap on the Bay because Randy Haag uses it; cheap experiment.

The first two Bobby Grace attempts I bought because I think he just does great work, but at the time I bought them, I just wasn't far enough along to know what I did and did not need. The first one was really made more for the Kuchar arm-lock style, and I just flat out bought the wrong specs on the second one.

The DF is a REALLY good putter, though perhaps 80 grams or so too light for a 44" length.

The F-22 is the fault (or credit?) of the guys on this thread who had great things to say about it, and I must say that it seems to be worth the hype.

Obviously, I'm all in on this, and I'm lucky enough to be married to a wonderful and beautiful woman who never looks in the hall closet.

Is the LFI version 1 a F35? Is it much different from the F22?

Correct; the original BG LFI was an F35 head. (The second LFI was not a numbered BG model.)

Just looking at the two heads side by side, the F35 is a little bit bigger than the F22, both in face width and front to back depth of the head and the shapes are similar; the F35 is a little more rounded on the edges, while the edges of the F22 are more squared off. The weighting, though, seems different; there is one less weight port on the F35, and all of the ports are on the sole; two ports on the F22 are on the back of the putter on each side of the alignment line. Overall, the heads are pretty much the same weight, but TO ME the F22 seems to release down the line much more easily.

I didn't use the F35 for long; the shaft configuration just never felt comfortable to me. There was so much shaft lean that in order to get my hands in front of my body and the head soled, the ball had to be even or behind my front toe, which screwed up being able to look down the line. As I've said, I really think that putter was designed with the Kuchar arm-lock as the primary design goal, and with face on as sort of another option. The second LFI, and now the F22 are completely different from the first version.

That is pretty much what i thought. When i had the F35 LFI I didn't know about the forward shaft lean or forward press that was built in. I had to take it to a shop that bent the shaft a touch more to take the forward press out.

The one thing i really don't like about the bobby grace website is that it is very short on detail and good pictures. the only pictures of the F22 are the bottom of the putter. Pretty much the only part of the putter that i don't see during the putt.

So close to trying acculock putter instead of my bett arm lock, getting desperate

Sidesaddle rocks!

Lol i hope so shooting over par hitting 16 of 18 greens sucks

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Boy me and the F22 didn't get along yesterday morning. Shot 42 on the front with 20 putts, but we warmed up on the back 9, shot 32 with 13 putts.

I actually extended it to 46.5" yesterday and swapped grips. Feeling that I'm just a bit too crouched over with it, we'll see how this works.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Anyone see the Bobby Grace F-18? That looks, interesting....

Yea. Saw it on his website. I still prefer the look of the F22.

27 putts yesterday with the F22; I think I'm in love...

Nice. I played 9 holes with my wife yesterday and had 12 putts. Couldn’t miss. I love putting days like that.

Been struggling with the F22, so just to change things up, I added 2 inches to it to make it 47" and putted fantastic with it this weekend.

I think the more I play with side saddle putters, I putt better standing more upright with them than all hunched over. So I guess thats more in line kinda with what Randy Haag does and the GP putter guy, vs Juan, who's putters are recommended to be much shorter. To me, makes it feel more natural.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Been struggling with the F22, so just to change things up, I added 2 inches to it to make it 47" and putted fantastic with it this weekend.

I think the more I play with side saddle putters, I putt better standing more upright with them than all hunched over. So I guess thats more in line kinda with what Randy Haag does and the GP putter guy, vs Juan, who's putters are recommended to be much shorter. To me, makes it feel more natural.

Yea I can see that. Inside of maybe 5’, shorter to me was easier to hit my line. Distance control wise and overall comfort with the style, if/when I come back to this I’d be in that 48” range +/-.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Yea I can see that. Inside of maybe 5', shorter to me was easier to hit my line. Distance control wise and overall comfort with the style, if/when I come back to this I'd be in that 48" range +/-.

Yeah I could see shorter being better in closer. I've never struggled too much to hit my lines if I've got the putter working back smoothly as I really focus on the line on my ball with this approach. I always get the hitch in my take away when I'm inconsistent with my crouch and all my angles are off. So hoping that the more upright approach will be more consistent. Plus its a little easier to hit the ball with more pace, which has been my big issue side saddle overall.

Boy me and the F22 didn't get along yesterday morning. Shot 42 on the front with 20 putts, but we warmed up on the back 9, shot 32 with 13 putts.

I actually extended it to 46.5" yesterday and swapped grips. Feeling that I'm just a bit too crouched over with it, we'll see how this works.

Oh do I love this BG F22.

When I am on with this thing it is amazing.

28 putts yesterday!

28 putts yesterday!

Yeah its legit as can be. I putted much better with the F22 extended, feels more natural for sure.

28 putts yesterday!

Yeah its legit as can be. I putted much better with the F22 extended, feels more natural for sure.

Just curious....how tall are you?

I use a 46" inch putter and I'm 6 feet.

28 putts yesterday!

I'm about 6'2".

One thing I never got on board with the Juan system was how short he recommended you order the putters. It feels so unnatural to be all bent over trying to hit an uphill 40ft putt. I believe the GP guy recommends much longer putters, which I'm now in agreement with for sure.

Plus with the shorter putters, it makes it hard spending time on the practice green getting the hang of things if you have to stand up and walk around every 5 minutes because you have back cramps, lol.

28 putts yesterday!

I'm about 6'2".

One thing I never got on board with the Juan system was how short he recommended you order the putters. It feels so unnatural to be all bent over trying to hit an uphill 40ft putt. I believe the GP guy recommends much longer putters, which I'm now in agreement with for sure.

Plus with the shorter putters, it makes it hard spending time on the practice green getting the hang of things if you have to stand up and walk around every 5 minutes because you have back cramps, lol.

PR Dionne, the GP putter guy, DOES recommend extremely long lengths; 49" if you are 6-0 or 6-1. I don't think it's so much that Juan recommends short as it is that the GP is designed to be used differently than any of the others and is much longer; Juan's length options for somebody over 6-0 are 43", 46", 48", and 50". David Cook, from "7 Days in Utopia" and who sells the Ice Cube appears to sell only 46", although I'd imagine he might work with a customer on the length. Bobby Grace has gone 100% custom on this, but I'd bet he isn't selling very many that are below at least 43". I really consider the GP putter to be sort of an outlier in all of this; it's completely different in size, weight, length, and the way you use it from ANY of the others.

All of that said, I agree with you about the problem of too short for this method. That was my issue with the first Bobby Grace putters; they were 42", and I had a hard time looking down the line at address. Really, I'd almost bet that it would be easier to putt with something either really long or really short; you'd either be standing very upright, OR you'd have to get so low that you'd be looking down the line automatically. But while that might be great for a three foot putt, from 30', I just don't think it works. At the end of the day, a free swing of your arm straight back and straight thru is hard if you are unnaturally bent over and cramped.

While there has been a lot of talk about the length of the putter not so much has been discussed about the lie. I have a GP putter and the lie is 79 degrees. This would be mainly to assist in putting vertical shaft system. Most of the long putters have a lie of 79 deg. The belly putter tends to have a lie of 71 deg (approx) and is designed to be used at that angle.

My question is there any advantage in having a more vertical shaft if using a belly putter. I have purchased a Cleveland Bobby Grace 7.5K belly putter that has been cut down to 35 inches. I can either extend it to 42-44 inches or re shaft with a different shaft. If using a different shaft I will be able to change the lie. Would there be any advantage in this. I intend to use this putter shaft non vertical.

Unfortunately I live in New Zealand and getting a correct replacement shaft will be very expensive. Hence it will be a conversion from another putter.

Definite advantage to 79* lie. You want to be able to hold the putter as close to vertical as possible in order to fully take advantage of this method.

Absolutely.

I can't imagine that anyone would want a putter to use face on at anything other than 79/80 degrees. I think most of us would love for the putter to be even more vertical than that, were it legal.

Definite advantage to 79* lie. You want to be able to hold the putter as close to vertical as possible in order to fully take advantage of this method.

Absolutely.

I can't imagine that anyone would want a putter to use face on at anything other than 79/80 degrees. I think most of us would love for the putter to be even more vertical than that, were it legal.

Couldn't agree more.

Honestly that was one of my other complaints about the Juan Putt vs the Bobby Grace putters. The JP seemed so long on the face, that it was very difficult to "cheat" your way into a vertical hold, while the BG putters have the tri sole design that allow them to be legal, but feel like they're straight up and down.

28 putts yesterday!

I'm about 6'2".

I'm ready to give one a tryout. How long was your F-22 when I tried it on the putting clock? I have no idea of the length I should be thinking about.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I'm ready to give one a tryout. How long was your F-22 when I tried it on the putting clock? I have no idea of the length I should be thinking about.

Atta boy, Billy! Come to the dark side.

The F22 you tried out was 46.5". I have a LFI at 45" that I'll bring this weekend and you can fiddle with. That'll at least let you see which length you prefer. I much prefer the F22 style of head over the LFI just due to the weight, but I'm happy to let you try it out so you can decide if you want to drop the coin on a F22.

Atta boy, Billy! Come to the dark side.

The F22 you tried out was 46.5". I have a LFI at 45" that I'll bring this weekend and you can fiddle with. That'll at least let you see which length you prefer. I much prefer the F22 style of head over the LFI just due to the weight, but I'm happy to let you try it out so you can decide if you want to drop the coin on a F22.

Thanks! Bring it if you don't mind. I'll be playing at 10:50 this Saturday and hope to see you then.

That F-18 looks interesting if I ever try switching to lefty side.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"